• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

ashk

I dunno, I'll be online in about 10 minutes so I propose we see how many people actually join. If it turns out to be only 5 people or so we can call it off.

Angst

My suggestion: make an open lounge and post the room id in the gt5 thread, then do some random shorter races instead.

Angst

As ashk said, disappointing after the full grid race the week before. Probably the LMP cars...

I was planning to organize this week's event, but my company has moved forward my departure time so I'll leave for Orlando on Sunday already and thus won't be able to partake after all.

I wasn't interested in the choice of car, hence my absence. This week would be nice to get some races with dlc cars. How about a two make with one being dlc and one standard so everyone can take part? Specifically I want to race the Aventador.

paskowitz

Specifically I want to race the Aventador.

After watching the latest Top Gear I second this motion. I know we already did Monza no chicane, but it has a lot of similarities to Imola and would be great for high speed super cars. I love T1 on the no chicane version. It requires balls of steel.

If we are going to do the Aventador, or cars similar to it, it has to be on a wide track.

Suggestions:
- Cars: Aventador, Enzo, F1, Amuse 2000 GT1 (some balancing would be required).
-Tracks: HSR norm/rev, Monza no chicane, Deep Forest norm/rev, Spa.

Angst

I'd suggest Aventador vs Mclaren F1 vs Enzo on High Speed Ring (we haven't raced there since the very first NRL race one year ago).

paskowitz

I'd suggest Aventador vs Mclaren F1 vs Enzo on High Speed Ring (we haven't raced there since the very first NRL race one year ago).

I would suggest the reverse version. On the normal version the turn after the banking is almost always a cluster fuck. It is very high speed and most people have a hard time coping with it.

On the reverse version coming out of the banking onto the straight T1 is narrow but it is far easier to approach.

If we use multiple cars then how about we just leave the field open to all high power street cars and set a high PP limit? It might not be a perfectly even field, but it should be fun to see what cars people bring. Also, SSRX highway drive beforehand. :D

paskowitz

If we use multiple cars then how about we just leave the field open to all high power street cars and set a high PP limit? It might not be a perfectly even field, but it should be fun to see what cars people bring. Also, SSRX highway drive beforehand. :D

While I would love to see many cars in a single race, it just becomes too unbalanced. This is especially true for the faster drivers where every tenth matters. Then those that know how to tune are at a huge advantage over those that do not.

We could do a 2 races. A 15 lap with the rules I stated, and a 15 lap with the rules you proposed.

Race 1:
HSR reverse 15 laps
Aventador, F1, Enzo, Amuse S2000 GT1, ZR1 (hp and weight balanced)
Sports medium or sports softs
No tuning
Heavy damage
Weak slipstream

Race 2:
HSR 15 laps
High power street cars
PP balanced
Full tunning
Light damage
Weak slipstream

Dibbz

High speed ring. Hmmmmm

I'll just leave this here.

12439491821011_yume_photo.jpg

:D

While I would love to see many cars in a single race, it just becomes too unbalanced. This is especially true for the faster drivers where every tenth matters. Then those that know how to tune are at a huge advantage over those that do not.

We could do a 2 races. A 15 lap with the rules I stated, and a 15 lap with the rules you proposed.

Race 1:
HSR reverse 15 laps
Aventador, F1, Enzo, Amuse S2000 GT1, ZR1 (hp and weight balanced)
No tuning
Heavy damage
Weak slipstream

Race 2:
HSR 15 laps
High power street cars
PP balanced
Full tunning
Light damage
Weak slipstream

I just want to make things simple so people know what's going on and can sign early and practice. Every time we do X vs X vs X we spend all week trying to get their performance even, most people don't sign up, and one of the cars ends up being clearly better anyway. A simple "street car, 620PP limit" is the way to go imo.

ashk

If we do an Aventador vs. anything race I wouldn't be surprised if most of the field picks the Aventador and it just ends up being a one-make race or close enough :p And I agree with WW that we need to keep things as simple as possible to give people a chance to have a fun race without spending a lot of time testing and tuning cars for just one event.

So my suggestion is a 100% stock Aventador (no tuning, Sports Hard tyres), 1 race on HSR, 1 race in Rome (idea shamelessly stolen from Top Gear :p).

n6EN6.jpg

Aventador Cup

Everybody is welcome to join.

Please note: If you do not have an Aventador and can not/will not buy the DLC but still wish to race please sign up as a RESERVE and if the grid needs filling you may use a Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640 '09.

BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1328472000z1.png

Allowed cars:
Lamboghini Aventador (DLC), Murcielago (see note above)​
Tuning allowed:
None​
Tyre Selection
Sport Hard​
Track:
High Speed Ring Reverse- 15 laps
Rome- 15 laps​
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Weather: None
Players Participating (16 / 16):
  • 01 - Weekend_Warrior
  • 02 - paskowitz
  • 03 - MikeDub
  • 04 - Niks
  • 05 - SunhiLegend
  • 06 - ashk
  • 07 - MetalMurphy
  • 08 - Risk Breaker
  • 09 -
  • 10 - asclepio_gtr
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 - Kaze13
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -Dibbz (M)
  • R2 -chillumchilla (M)
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -
Remember to put the number above to the left of your name on your car for easier identification in the replay​
Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Standing start
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced. Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed. Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Updated:
Upgrades, race format, players​

I don't have the DLC so sign me as reserve.
what?! what madness is this?

I loose. NRL wins.

It's basically a combination of what you and ashk said. The problem is that we only have a week to set this, so if we spend 2 or 3 days trying to even level the cars, by then it's Thursday, and then people only have a few days to practice and they end up just skipping out come Sunday. So the best turn-out for races are usually the simple ones- single make and PP limit race.

I don't think you should make dlc people a priority, whats the point? We NEVER have a full grid so lets not artificially restrict people. The whole point of having two cars was so we could have more people not less.

paskowitz

I don't think you should make dlc people a priority, whats the point? We NEVER have a full grid so lets not artificially restrict people. The whole point of having two cars was so we could have more people not less.

This was my thinking as well. I picked all these cars because I know their Nurburgring times are all within 5 seconds of 7:10.xxx. Not to mention they all have similar power to weight ratios. Incidentally their top speeds are all near 220mph. If you were to limit the HP and weight of certain cars it would only be 20-30hp and about 50kg. It worked for the SLS vs 458 race and that was fantastic.

We could for simplicity sake, just add the Enzo. It is the closest to the Aventador in terms of speed. Also, while sports hards are the proper tires in single player, with the reduced grip of online mode I think sports mediums would be more natural to drive. Not to mention for those with a controller.

@WW: Fair enough. I guess that works. vvvvvvvvvv

There's no disrespect here, it's a single make race, we've had single make DLC races before. But in the interest of getting as many people involved as possible, and because I know not everyone has the DLC, I gave a second option to use the Murcielago. But it is an Avenador race, so the people with the right car should get a slight priority, and as with any race the reserves are almost guaranteed a spot anyway.

Niks

We dont have to wait till mondays to decide on a race...

Pask, if you can/want, I want you to decide next weeks event. Hopefully you have some time to properly test similar cars? Is everyone ok with this?

As said before SLS vs 458 was great because someone took the time to properly test the cars.

paskowitz

Pask, if you can/want, I want you to decide next weeks event. Hopefully you have some time to properly test similar cars? Is everyone ok with this?

As said before SLS vs 458 was great because someone took the time to properly test the cars.

Ok then:

NRL Race 2/12

Evo IX RM vs STi TC (HP, weight, PP, balancing TBD)
Sports Soft tires
30 laps on Madrid Normal
Light damage
Touring car contact rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LclTMdcV6kI. Ramming, pitting, and pushing are off limits. Strong rubbing, mid corner contact, nose to nose corner entry, etc are all fair game. Essentially, people need not be timid, but should not be reckless.
Weak slip stream
Tire wear
Non HP tuning allowed (aero, trans, diff, suspension, brakes)

I am open to any suggestions to make the race better.

ashk

That's a pretty good point Niks, there's no reason to wait until one event is finished to start deciding on another one. As far as I'm concerned they can be planned out weeks ahead, especially if someone wants to take the time to balance out a few cars.

Angst

That someone was me :) I really like Monza so I experimented with the cars until I found a setup that made both the cars well balanced. Even though I'm not that fast I just added parts to one of the cars until I had consistent times with both. I also used BHP divided by weight instead of PP and it was really helpful. Unfortunately I almost never have the time to test cars before the races now. So I'm all in with your idea.

SonnyBoy

As a new PS3 owner who just purchased GT5 XL, I must say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

Having been a 360 owner up until this time, I'm pretty confused about the online component of the PS3 and how it relates to each individual game (LPB2 was pretty easy). I'd definitely like to participate in some of the races here and have no problem adhering to good etiquette. My PSN is "sonnyboychris", so please add me and I look forward to participating.

paskowitz

As a new PS3 owner who just purchased GT5 XL, I must say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

Having been a 360 owner up until this time, I'm pretty confused about the online component of the PS3 and how it relates to each individual game (LPB2 was pretty easy). I'd definitely like to participate in some of the races here and have no problem adhering to good etiquette. My PSN is "sonnyboychris", so please add me and I look forward to participating.

Make sure you send a friend request to the PSN name "GT5NRL". This is where we hold the races.

To get to the race, go to the community tab on the left hand side. Then scroll down your list of friends until you get to GT5NRL. Select it, and then go to the coffee cup and select that. This is the GT5NRL "server". Join the it and you are set.

These are like private servers. The actual open online portion of the game is above seasonal events section of the home page.

There is a manual for the game at the start menu. You may want to take a look at that if you have any further questions.

SonnyBoy

Make sure you send a friend request to the PSN name "GT5NRL". This is where we hold the races.

To get to the race, go to the community tab on the left hand side. Then scroll down your list of friends until you get to GT5NRL. Select it, and then go to the coffee cup and select that. This is the GT5NRL "server". Join the it and you are set.

These are like private servers. The actual open online portion of the game is above seasonal events section of the home page.

There is a manual for the game at the start menu. You may want to take a look at that if you have any further questions.

I really appreciate it! Do most of you guys use wheels?

Sorry folks, i won´t be home in the next three weekends, so i will only catch up with you guys in the end of the month.

I still love the game and i want to play it a lot, so it´s not like i´m quitting on the thing.

It´s just that i won´t have acess to it for a bit, again :(

Angst

As only me and MM have access to the NRL account you guys need to pm me and him (Metalmurphy) when sending friend requests so we can make sure to accept then for you.

Sign me up, been playing alot of GT recently mainly offline. Would love to get back into racing online with gaf.

i9OY8XdxjR6lB.gif

I've been playing GT with a pad for a few months now since I couldn't be bothered to drag out my G25 and wheel stand pro. However my setup has changed now so its readily available :)

Really? I always thought otherwise.

We should make a list and keep it in the OP or something.

Sign me up, been playing alot of GT recently mainly offline. Would love to get back into racing online with gaf.

[MG]http://i.minus.com/i9OY8XdxjR6lB.gif[/IMG]

I've been playing GT with a pad for a few months now since I couldn't be bothered to drag out my G25 and wheel stand pro. However my setup has changed now so its readily available :)

I use a wheel (DFGT) with a shitty table, but I'm certainly getting slower with time :(

Added.

Top Bottom