• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

magawolaz

Nope, it was completely my (controller) fault for the accident. I hope nobody's race was seriously disrupted by that.

I really need to find a way to use the wheel. Either buying a racing seat (ha...), or using the PS3 in the office with an HDMI adapter for the computer.
I see. Damn, that sucks :/

Lovely pics and gifs. Sign me up for the next race, Niks! Thanks :)
(can I use the Lexus LFA?)

I'm just getting into GT5! I've had the game for almost a year but I just started playing it about 3 months ago. I waited till I could get a wheel. I now have a DFGT so I hope to start spending more time in GT5. In the future I would like to join these GAF races. But I will wait it out and acquire more skill first.

paskowitz

I'm just getting into GT5! I've had the game for almost a year but I just started playing it about 3 months ago. I waited till I could get a wheel. I now have a DFGT so I hope to start spending more time in GT5. In the future I would like to join these GAF races. But I will wait it out and acquire more skill first.

Trust me, there is no need to wait. Basically all that is required is that you can stay on the track, not run into other drivers and let faster drivers by. You can go at your own pace. The NRL has a wide range of skill levels. You may not be fighting for the lead, but you should always have some form of competition.

Some tips to improve your game:
- TURN OFF THE DRIVING LINE! It is a lie!
- Start slow and increase your pace. You do not want to shave off 2 seconds on you second lap and then crash the rest. Try to go .25-.5 seconds at a lap.
- Do not feel bad about using traction control. Its there to help you.
- Slow in, fast out.
- Know your car and your track. IE practice.
- Since you are using a wheel. Refrain from exaggerated movements. If your car starts to slide make your adjustments quickly but smoothly.

Niks

YXEcf.png

tx9Ce.gif

550 PP RACE

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1329681600z0.png

Allowed cars:
Any premium street car tuned to 550pp.
The idea is to have a full grid with no repeated cars, or as varied as possible.
Please state which car you are going to race with.

Since we know PP leveling is not 100% accurate, I suggest not to concentrate on laptimes, but instead on choosing a car that you like driving.
Tuning allowed:
All tuning parts allowed.
You can use engine power limiter.​
Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Nürburgring GP/F​
Laps:
TBD
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (13 / 16):
  • 01 - Niks - Ferrari 430 Scuderia
  • 02 - weekend_warrior
  • 03 - paskowitz - Alfa Romeo 8c
  • 04 - Risk Breaker - Alfa Romeo 8c
  • 05 - MikeDub - Ford GT
  • 06 - chillumchilla
  • 07 - 2scoops - Camaro Z28
  • 08 - Dibbz
  • 09 - magawolaz - Lexus LFA
  • 10 - Norante - Subaru Impreza STI
  • 11 - Ashk - BMW M3
  • 12 - dubc35 - Mazda RX7
  • 13 - Noise Pollution
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - Polyphony - McLaren MP4-12c
  • R2 - MM
  • R3 - Toxa - Ferrari 458 Italia
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

dubc35

Looks like it was a great race, nice pics and gifs!

Does anyone know who owns the GT5NRL PSN account? I sent a friend request last week and no word yet. I'm assuming it is someone's dormant account that they don't normally use. However, I can't race in the lounge if it's not accepted.

Dibbz

Does anyone know who owns the GT5NRL PSN account? I sent a friend request last week and no word yet. I'm assuming it is someone's dormant account that they don't normally use. However, I can't race in the lounge if it's not accepted.

Metal Murphy or Angst should be able to help you.

paskowitz

PM Angst and or Metalmurphy... beat.

Also, as of this second I will take the Honda NSX R. Although it is possible I may change my choice.

paskowitz

That's weak, you're too good to pick an easy car, I want to see you try for the win in an old muscle car.

Coming off of a couple of tests, I am probably going to change it. Right now it is super fast, but it rips through tires. I am finding a lot of cars I thought would be good, end up sucking. 370z, great power to weight in the PP, but it just cannot put the power down.

paskowitz

Ok, I have made it harder on myself. But I really picked this car because it is just so damn sexy. Final choice, Alfa Romeo 8c.

I was at 2:04-5 with the nsx and now 2:06 with the 8c. It has a little more to give, but it is very hard to control. It also eats tires.

Hey everyone I'd love to join you guys. I'll race the Maserati GranTurismo S. Edit: aslong as i can get the unweildy bastard under control.haha.

I already added the GT5NRL account to my friends list, is there anything else I need to do?

magawolaz

2:08 so far, still need to tweak properly suspensions and transmission

Hey everyone I'd love to join you guys. I'll race the Maserati GranTurismo S.

I already added the GT5NRL account to my friends list, is there anything else I need to do?
Welcome :) Just make sure to practice and you're good to go.
All info you need are in Niks' post

Niks

Hey everyone I'd love to join you guys. I'll race the Maserati GranTurismo S. Edit: aslong as i can get the unweildy bastard under control.haha.

Just wait until either Metalmurphy or Angst accept your request, and thats it.
As magawolaz said, be sure to practice, and take in mind clean racing is a must (aka divebombs are not acceptable).

Otherwise welcome!

I am placing you and dubc35 on the reserve list until you are added to the NRL account.

Does weight reduction and adding wings comes under 'allowed tuning'? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Yeah, everything is allowed as long as its under 550pp.

Edit: If you need help with tuning your car, www.gt5-tuning.com is a good setup directory.

2scoops

Put me down for my 69 Camaro, I don't plan on doing better than last place, but damn, it's such a beautiful car! ....I call her Alice...

Edit: the Z28 ofcourse

Ok, I have made it harder on myself. But I really picked this car because it is just so damn sexy. Final choice, Alfa Romeo 8c.

I was at 2:04-5 with the nsx and now 2:06 with the 8c. It has a little more to give, but it is very hard to control. It also eats tires.

How are you times so good? I havent broken past 2"10' yet. Does TCS hurt my times?

Trust me, there is no need to wait. Basically all that is required is that you can stay on the track, not run into other drivers and let faster drivers by. You can go at your own pace. The NRL has a wide range of skill levels. You may not be fighting for the lead, but you should always have some form of competition.

Some tips to improve your game:
- TURN OFF THE DRIVING LINE! It is a lie!
- Start slow and increase your pace. You do not want to shave off 2 seconds on you second lap and then crash the rest. Try to go .25-.5 seconds at a lap.
- Do not feel bad about using traction control. Its there to help you.
- Slow in, fast out.
- Know your car and your track. IE practice.
- Since you are using a wheel. Refrain from exaggerated movements. If your car starts to slide make your adjustments quickly but smoothly.

My problem is that I'm so use to running into other cars. I've been playing arcade racers my whole gaming career. This is my first foray into simulation and I absolutely love it. But I still drive like I'm playing an arcade racer. I'm practicing to stay on the track and trying to avoid hitting other cars. Once I feel better about that I would like to join the online races. And I will follow your recommendations. Especially turning off that racing line.

paskowitz

How are you times so good? I havent broken past 2"10' yet. Does TCS hurt my times?

I go go-karting (IRL) about once a month to keep my skills sharp. I have been playing Gran Turismo since the day GT1 was released in the US. I have many hours on GT5. I own a G25. I used to take my Subaru Outback on tight dirt roads for fun. I drive in real life a lot. Etc.

Yes, TCS does hurt your ultimate times. But look at it this way. If TCS lets you put down 2:10 laps, lap after lap after lap. Then that is better than running a 2:10, then a 2:07, then a 2:13. I would advise putting TCS on 1-3. 1 allows for a little bit of slide, so do not think you can just floor it and steer like mad. 3 is pretty strong in my view. 10 will make your car seem like it is down about 100hp.

My problem is that I'm so use to running into other cars. I've been playing arcade racers my whole gaming career. This is my first foray into simulation and I absolutely love it. But I still drive like I'm playing an arcade racer. I'm practicing to stay on the track and trying to avoid hitting other cars. Once I feel better about that I would like to join the online races. And I will follow your recommendations. Especially turning off that racing line.

Make sure, whatever controller you are using, DS3 or wheel, to assign the look left and look right functions. Second, assign the RA function (in game tuning menu) to your controller. This will let you increase or decrease your driving aids as needed. If you do not know what this means check out the GT5 manual included in the start screen of the game.

These two things will give you some situational awareness and enable you to keep control of your car as the race progresses. Second, race your race. Do not react to when other drivers brake or turn in. Simply drive how you feel comfortable. Overreacting or harsh movements will put you in trouble. GT5 is pretty forgiving as far as car collisions are concerned. So you (we :p ) are lucky.

Some pics from last Sunday

Lap 1 weekend_warrior (7) vs chillumchilla (2) vs 2scoops (6)

Circuito%2520de%2520Madrid.jpg

Lap 4 Norante (22) bites the wall with 2scoops (6) and miky_magawolaz (9) in hot pursuit

Lap 4 miky_magawolaz (9) leading weekend_warrior (7) and chillumchilla (2)

Lap 30 Victory straight podium Dibbz (8), Niks (25) and Lazlow (99)

For this Sunday I have chosen another STi, I think the '06 CA one.

Ahrweiler%2520Gate.jpg

dubc35

IIRC something around 1:26/27 with good tyres
I got into 1.25 with fresh tyres.
Thanks, I was in the 1'27 range during testing so I'm not terribly off the pace. I was expecting to finish last. I have now upped that to next to last! lol [edit] looking at times so far for this race I will be off the pace though. It's all good though, more incentive to improve!

I'm between two cars at the moment. One is FR and the other AWD. In brief shakedown sessions the FR is about a second faster and easier on the tires. The AWD one is one of my all time favorite cars though. More testing needed!

Polyphony

A few tips to help you stay on the road and avoid crashing into other cars:

1. The driving line is great to get familiarized with new tracks. It's not the absolute standard though, you can go faster by disobeying the line and braking later sometimes.

2. The suggested gear indicator dial can give you an approximation of when to slow down. When you see the little red light blink next to the suggested gear indicator, it's a good time to start braking.

3. You can change the map scale to 2, with its position 'Fixed to car'. At this scale, you can see other cars relative to your position on the map itself, allowing you to avoid contact and 'see' cars in your blindspots without having to switch views constantly. Like all the tips mentioned so far, this is not realistic, but it can help a lot! Just don't rely too much on these little tricks as you get better.

4. When driving with others, adjust your braking zones. Anticipate when the car ahead will start braking. You don't need to always have a foot on the throttle or brakes. Let go of the throttle earlier, coast and prepare to slow down in order to avoid any surprises. The car in front might also be doing the same thing if there is traffic ahead of it.

Would you mind choosing another car? Maybe an Evo? If you really want to race this car then its ok, its just so that we dont get 2 STIs on the grid.

No prob, scrub my STi. (excuse the double entendre!)

A few tips to help you stay on the road and avoid crashing into other cars:

Can I add, one practice strategy I use is to have a few offline single car practice races against the ai. Although the offline and online physics are a bit different, it is a good way to practice clean overtaking etc.

Polyphony

I'm testing out a few cars in the lounge now if anybody's online. I painted my Maserati in chrome, so I'm inclined to use it now... lol.

Edit: Didn't see that Noise Pollution is already using the GranTurismo S, I'll go with the MP4-12c then, sexy car.

Edit 2: And here it is

6882690603_556f65372a_b.jpg

I'm testing out a few cars in the lounge now if anybody's online. I painted my Maserati in chrome, so I'm inclined to use it now... lol.

Edit: Didn't see that Noise Pollution is already using the GranTurismo S, I'll go with the MP4-12c then, sexy car.

Edit 2: And here it is

6882690603_556f65372a_b.jpg

You can use the Maserati, I changed my mind. Im leaning towards an R8, Zr1 or c63 AMG. Not sure yet.

I'm sorry and I hope you all don't mind but if I race this week it'll be on the 8C Competizione like paskowitz, it's the only car on that PP range that I have ready to roll on this track and since I'm really busy (exams and Vita reviews incoming...) I'll only have time to turn on the PS3, join you, race and quit.

Maybe I can relax a little with this race because I really need it.

Haha, it's okay, I changed my mind as well. Drove the GranTurismo S for a few laps, so much understeer in corners and oversteer during re-acceleration. It eats tires like crazy.

Yeah thats why I went against it too. Im really leaning towards my R8 Chrome Line but damn does it eat tires.

Polyphony

Yeah thats why I went against it too. Im really leaning towards my R8 Chrome Line but damn does it eat tires.

Nice, the R8 is one of my favorites in the 600PP+ range. It's quick as hell. It'll use up your tires quickly if you drive on the edge, but if you pace yourself, it should be ok.

Driving smoothly is going to be important this race, tire wear is very prominent with Sport Soft tires.

Top Bottom