• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Car chosen. Lamborghini Gallardo, ie "Baby Lambo".

GyZ7L.jpg

Niks

YXEcf.png

tx9Ce.gif

550 PP RACE

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1329681600z0.png

Allowed cars:
Any premium street car tuned to 550pp.
The idea is to have a full grid with no repeated cars, or as varied as possible.
Please state which car you are going to race with.

Since we know PP leveling is not 100% accurate, I suggest not to concentrate on laptimes, but instead on choosing a car that you like driving.
Tuning allowed:
All tuning parts allowed.
You can use engine power limiter.​
Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Nürburgring GP/F​
Laps:
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (13 / 16):
  • 01 - Niks - Ferrari 430 Scuderia
  • 02 - weekend_warrior - Lamborghini Gallardo
  • 03 - paskowitz - Alfa Romeo 8c
  • 04 - Risk Breaker - Alfa Romeo 8c
  • 05 - MikeDub - Ford GT
  • 06 - chillumchilla - Honda NSX
  • 07 - 2scoops - Camaro Z28
  • 08 - Dibbz - Nissan GT-R
  • 09 - magawolaz - Lexus LFA
  • 10 - Norante - Subaru Impreza STI
  • 11 - Ashk - BMW M3
  • 12 - dubc35 - Mazda RX7
  • 13 - Noise Pollution - Audi R8
  • 14 - asclepio_gtr - Audi R8
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - Toxa - Ferrari 458 Italia
  • R2 - MetalMurphy - Ferrari 458 Italia
  • R3 - Tau - Lamborghini Aventador
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Polyphony

Just throwing an idea out there for a potential race: custom circuit from the Track Creator. It would be pretty cool to race on a random track and having to learn its intricacies.

As long as it's not [this one] lol.

Hmm... 2:08.880 first lap online with DS3, I think I won't do as bad as I thought. I quite like the track and the car, which sounds even better than before.

paskowitz

Hmm... 2:08.880 first lap online with DS3, I think I won't do as bad as I thought. I quite like the track and the car, which sounds even better than before.

I was surprised at how decent the 8c works on this track as well. You are only a second off my average times so that is pretty good. I think one advantage it has is its short wheelbase. It oversteers but, it also changes direction pretty well.

Like the NSX, I would suggest people stay away from the Evora. I ran a 2:03 yesterday... it is egregiously fast.

I am surprised no one has picked the Z06, V12 Vantage, or one of the Vipers. They are all perfect for this category. I was going to pick the Vantage but I found it a bit heavy.

I was surprised at how decent the 8c works on this track as well. You are only a second off my average times so that is pretty good. I think one advantage it has is its short wheelbase. It oversteers but, it also changes direction pretty well.

Yep, exactly, I think that's the main reason I like the car. I hate cars that take forever to change direction, specially on a track with 5 S turns :p I also like the DB9 for this kind of races but if I recall correctly it tends to understeer after a while.

The thing is that I'm pretty consistent at this track (I did pretty good on our last actual NRL race here, I think 3rd) so I can at least have some fun if I can get my times a little lower and conserve the tyres. I'm not sure I can do more than 7-8 laps comfortably judging by my dualshock runs but I guess it'll be similar for most people.

How about we do 15-17 laps?

Niks

Nice choice.
Only chillumchilla and Dibbz missing from choosing a car.
Ill do some testing tonight to decide the number of laps.

So far I have tested an NSX, GT-R, Silvia with various GTP tunes and cannot get near even 2:10! Now I am going try out a depowered Ferrari SP1. (could you call a first oil change deflowering I wonder?)

Would I be right in thinking it is better to depower a faster car than go for one that is more naturally 550pp?. For instance my depowered SP1 has maximum torque at 5500rpm but revs up to several thousand more?

Here is one of my rejects

Kyoto%2520-%2520Gion.jpg

Nice wheel no?

Kyoto%2520-%2520Gion_1.jpg

edit : Just checked Dictionary 'depower' is not a word! Replace with 'disenfranchise'.

paskowitz

So far I have tested an NSX, GT-R, Silvia with various GTP tunes and cannot get near even 2:10! Now I am going try out a depowered Ferrari SP1. (could you call a first oil change deflowering I wonder?)

Would I be right in thinking it is better to depower a faster car than go for one that is more naturally 550pp?. For instance my depowered SP1 has maximum torque at 5500rpm but revs up to several thousand more?

Here is one of my rejects

Kyoto%2520-%2520Gion.jpg

Nice wheel no?

Kyoto%2520-%2520Gion_1.jpg

edit : Just checked Dictionary 'depower' is not a word! Replace with 'disenfranchise'.
Try the lotus evora. It's retarded fast.

paskowitz

I will be in the lounge for a bit of practice if anyone wants to join me.

Also Toxa, unless you want to run away with this one, I suggest you tune the 458 conservatively. I am running 2:04-2:05 with it full tune. That scud you sent me was really balanced and was easy on tires, but was a bit slow overall.

Lol, Lfa is even quicker, 2:04-2:03. That car is nuts. Eats tires like mad though.

dubc35

On hot laps I'm running in the 2'08-2'09 range. During race spec fatigue I'll be in the 2'12-2'14 range I think. The FD, she likes to get squirrely.

Toxa

Also Toxa, unless you want to run away with this one, I suggest you tune the 458 conservatively. I am running 2:04-2:05 with it full tune. That scud you sent me was really balanced and was easy on tires, but was a bit slow overall.

if you can run around 2.04-05 this means that you spend more time preparing for the race with this car than me :D

ashk

All this talk made me want to do a few practice laps, but when setting up my car I noticed it can't reach 550 PP :( I'll stick with it though, I like how it drives and it doesn't seem this will be a balanced race anyway.

1 stop? 2 stops? No stops (yeah right)?

Just received my 3D glasses by mail, can't wait to try it out with GT5 8)

2 stops easily, I could see someone going for 3 even.

I hooked up my DFGT yesterday and lowered my race pace to high 2'07 and I think I won't touch my setup any more but I'm not feeling too confident :p

Even if a couple of cars are faster I think we'll have fun in the middle positions.

Ok, for better or for worse I am using the NSX.

I implore the Gods to look kindly on my humble Honda and will double my dose of horse tranquilizers washed down with cheap Polish pilsner :)

Niks

All this talk made me want to do a few practice laps, but when setting up my car I noticed it can't reach 550 PP :( I'll stick with it though, I like how it drives and it doesn't seem this will be a balanced race anyway.

Ashk, Im sure the M3 can hit 550pp, tested it myself.
Are you sure you have all upgrades/weight reductions applied?

Even if a couple of cars are faster I think we'll have fun in the middle positions.
Yeah, for sure. I can see a close battle at the front too.

Niks

Welcome, please add GT5NRL to your friends list.
Ill put you in reserve until you get approved.

Since we have new faces this race, might as well do this PSA.

- Please remember that clean racing is a must in our league. (no dive-bombing into turns)
- Practice and learn the proper braking points and racing line for the track.
- If you are forced to stop during a race for whatever reason please do so in a safe place (away from the racing line)
- Take it easy during the start/first lap. Tires are cold.
- Please keep chatting during the race/qualifying to a minimum.
- Keep an eye on pre-qualifying instructions.
- PLEASE DONT HIT THE START RACE BUTTON! (it has happened to the best of us :p)

Don't worry if you are not very fast, we accept all skill levels, as long as you are clean you will have fun.

ashk

Ashk, Im sure the M3 can hit 550pp, tested it myself.
Are you sure you have all upgrades/weight reductions applied?

Thanks, I rechecked and it turns out I didn't have any engine tuning installed. It was the same car I used for the NRL so I just assumed all the upgrades were bought.

I know it has sort of become an unwritten rule that we just keep on trucking but do we want to actually address what we should do when this happens?

I vote for... if 6+ minutes into quali (and most people have completed a couple of laps) we should carry on. Otherwise, quit race and restart with shorter quali?

It's tough to decide on the fly though. Maybe the host/admin of the race (Angst, Niks or whoever) should just quit if he thinks we need to restart?

2scoops

Oh man, everyone's lap times are so good, i did 2:12 for my best lap. Oh well, i'm just in it for the nice sunday drive! lol

Polyphony

Yeah, it's a 80 gb MGS4 bundle PS3 from 2008. I'm not sure I want to spend 150$ to get it fixed from Sony. Going to try to fix it myself or get a Slim perhaps...

Top Bottom