• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Dibbz

Posting for new page

YXEcf.png

gt5_indy_bannernu6k4.jpg

370Z at Indianapolis

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1330286400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
380BHP / 491PP with tuning
1530kg
Tuning allowed:
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Sports Exhaust

Aero Kits (spoilers etc)
All other non PP enhancing components
Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Road Course Indy (Indianapolis)​
Laps:
TBD
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (1 / 16):
  • 01 - Dibbz
  • 02 - paskowitz
  • 03 - 2scoops
  • 04 - Niks
  • 05 - weekend_warrior
  • 06 - Tau
  • 07 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 08 - chillumchilla
  • 09 - MikeDub
  • 10 - l2ounD
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - dubc35
  • R2 - pax217
  • R3 - ashk
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Dibbz

Shocked that most of you don't like Indy. First time I ever saw it was in GT and I loved it but always forgot about it when choosing races.

Paskowitz, that tune sounds good. I'll check it out tonight and update the post.

2scoops

370z on Indy? Bad memories of IC3 flooding in...

Oh no, not again! I hated that test, at one point i don't even think i was using real curse words anymore, more like a series of growls and grunts. Even my wife, who has no interest in GT at all refers to IC3 as "the dark time of my Gran Turismo Career"

Had a good laugh at that.

Niks

Shocked that most of you don't like Indy. First time I ever saw it was in GT and I loved it but always forgot about it when choosing races.

I dont hate the track just hate that chicane (or whatever its called) dumbest corner in all of motorsports.

paskowitz

I dont hate the track just hate that chicane (or whatever its called) dumbest corner in all of motorsports.

The first couple of corners are ok. But yeah, that chicane is just stupid. I like Daytona road a lot more. It is narrow and T1 is just straight ballsy.

dubc35

I hope to make it, put me on reserve for now though.

I'm not a fan of the track either but it might be because I've never really learned it. This will give me a good opportunity.

Dibbz

I guess trial by ZR1 is a bit like trial by fire.

For tuning I suggest full tuning. 381hp and 1250kg. Those are the specs of the 370z GT Academy edition.

Sign me up.

381BHP cannot be a full tune can it? I've put all intakes and sports exhausts on and get 383BHP. That seems close enough so we will go for that. I'll just do some quick testing to check it out.

The weight I'm tempted to keep stock.

EDIT: Car tuning is now final and updated in the main post.

paskowitz

381BHP cannot be a full tune can it? I've put all intakes and sports exhausts on and get 383BHP. That seems close enough so we will go for that. I'll just do some quick testing to check it out.

The weight I'm tempted to keep stock.

The stock GT Academy car has over 400 ft/lbs of torque, FYI.

Not that I do not trust people not to put engine lvl mods on, but it eliminates that possibility if you allow full tuning then limit the hp.

Do whatever you want, but I would advise a lower curb weight. The car handles much better with it.

pax217

I put it on my calendar, hoping to make it as well. Going to turn on GT5 this evening and make sure my affairs are in-order.

Dibbz

Paskowitz, I've had a play around with a fully tuned but limited 370z. I think it's a tad powerful so I'm going to leave it as stated in the race details post.

As it stands the 370z is simple to control around the track and not super slow but still has lots of weight that can be thrown around. Hope it will allow people to be competitive without having to need the precision of a wheel and pedals.

Pax I'll put you on reserve.

So we're going with a tuning allowed on the street 370z and trusting people not to add engine mods and turbos? I assume trans, suspension, and diff mods are allowed?

A suggestion for the next race/races. Put a list of all the cars in the game then let a random generator choose :p

I wanna race some interesting/rarely used cars.

paskowitz

This race is good for me because IIRC I was 98th on the east coast 3 weeks before the GT Academy NA ended. I remember the death of me was that freakin chicane. I lost over .25 sec every time I went through it. I just never figured out to maintain my momentum.

Still not as bad as Cape Ring. I hate that track to this day. I was .9 seconds off 8th place (1-8 went on) and .7 of that .9 was on Cape Ring. Bad memories.

Dibbz

wow Paskowitz, I don't think I broke into the top 5000 let alone 100. I'd like to try it now but I'm sure the competition would be even stronger than back then.

SpeedOfNuts signed you up. Glad you like the track as well.

BTW I've done a 1.43 so far. Don't think it was anything special but it's good to have a target to aim for.

dubc35

BTW I've done a 1.43 so far. Don't think it was anything special but it's good to have a target to aim for.

d'oh! 1.45 is my best so far. Tire management will be big as the car/track combo make power on oversteer an easy remedy for a poor line and/or understeer.

paskowitz

wow Paskowitz, I don't think I broke into the top 5000 let alone 100. I'd like to try it now but I'm sure the competition would be even stronger than back then.

SpeedOfNuts signed you up. Glad you like the track as well.

Talk to any of the top contenders on GTP, they spent hours upon hours every day. The east coast was BRUTAL. The top 8 times were separated by a tenth of a second. I gave it my all but I wisely realized I was not going to make it and I re-focused on university.

I look forward to this event.

dubc35

I got down to a 1.44 dead, but I think pask will probably put down a 1.35 on the out lap. :p

e* you made the right choice pask (uni vs gt)

Dibbz

Thanks. Are suspension and the like acceptable upgrades?

Yep anything that does not improve your PP is allowed, so suspensions, trans etc are allowed.

dubc35 don't be too worried about getting a super fast lap. Just try and make sure you can consistently put in good lap times. The last race I done a qualy of 2.05 and in the race was hitting around 2.06-2.07 most of the time.

You don't want to push too hard in long races. Save some energy and tires for when you really need it.

dubc35

e* too late.

Yeah, I know Dibbz. I was actually putting in decent laps, by my pre-race standards, last race (best 2'09, running 2'11-2'12 during sans last 2-3 laps). I know I'm not going to be on the podium but I want to do the best I can.

I was in the lobby earlier. I might be on a bit later and will probably be weekdays around 1130pm-ish GMT (3pm US PT).

Dibbz

Yep:
Sorry I'm a noob too but I did an oil change since I was ~15hp below 380 prior. I always assume that is part of the deal.

If you are over the BHP with a oil change just use the Power Limiter to bring it back down to 380BHP. So long as you haven't added a new engine upgrade the BHP added by the oil change should not affect your car in the same way.

Also just make sure you have got only the tunes that I have specified in the race details post. Not sure why you were 15BHP down to begin with.

Yep all other non PP enhancing components allowed. I'll update the race info.

K, how many laps? If times are around 1:45, ~24 laps would be best. Can I suggest we do 2 races 12 laps each, reverse order the second? The last half of most races tend to be pretty boring compared to the first half, having 2 races keeps things more exciting.

Dibbz

I'll do some more testing tomorrow to get the laps sorted. One track is enough this week.

There is no way to limit people from tweaking with tune enabled is there? For this reason you can tune your transmissions, suspensions etc.

Congrats to all the newcomers who completed their first GAF race last Sunday.

It takes a while to learn the ropes, so to speak, but we should all bear in mind that, without regular new blood, the NRL may well wither on the vine...

Sign me up for Sunday Guv'nor please.

I was completely addicted to the time trials when the game came out and I remember some where I made it to top 10 or even top 5 (Kusabi on Cape Ring, oh god). Only to be pushed back down later, a little or a lot depending on if a better car was found, which is why I eventually got tired of them, I don't like having to grind for certain cars to stand a chance and I like to do other things apart from TTing :p

Sadly when the GTAcademy on Indy came out, before GT5's release, I didn't have a wheel and I obviously couldn't do anything, too many hairpins to do anything remotely fast with a controller.

And the next Academy time trials on course maker Eifel tracks seemed too random to me with all those bumps and elevation changes, not to mention the exploiting of corner cutting, which is why I simply stopped having any fun trying :/

I remember that I spent the last of my time with Prologue trying to earn a place on the leaderboards, specially London (as the track is clearly delimited) and a little of Fuji, at least top 100 with every car. It was fun and I miss that :(

I like Indy and I would race with you but.. Vita is on its way :p

pax217

Nope, this is my PS3 right now. I'll need to order a new laser, it'll cost 1/4th of what Sony's asking!

QJt5hl.jpg

At least GT is still in it lol

Let me know if you get stuck or need help at any point, I've done it twice now with the same model. It's so gratifying when the XMB loads up that disc.

amar212

Anyone here experienced with fixing RROD'ed 360s?

4 times. Including X-clamping, towel-procedures and such unforgettable moments.

Finally I lost my nerves and went to buy a slim one prior to the FM4 release.

Old one is now just the most expensive dust-collector in my premises.

Once it goes RROD, fixes are only temporal, until the next one. Buy yourself a new one and live a life without cursing.

pax217

Anyone here experienced with fixing RROD'ed 360s?

Had two of those as well, but Microsoft fixed both of them for free-- and as far as I'm aware they were both out of warranty... I'd just call and ask how much it'll cost.

4 times. Including X-clamping, towel-procedures and such unforgettable moments.

Finally I lost my nerves and went to buy a slim one prior to the FM4 release.

Old one is now just the most expensive dust-collector in my premises.

Once it goes RROD, fixes are only temporal, until the next one. Buy yourself a new one and live a life without cursing.

I still have my original RROD'd 360, but I'd say do this if MS isn't willing to fix it for you.

Top Bottom