• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

... The east coast was BRUTAL....

Just curious Pask, can one dupe GT academy to get an easier geographical area ? eg. Ireland!

Off Topic - weekend_warrior is that you holding your new copy of 'Twisted Metal'? If true, you are a dead ringer for 'McNulty' from the HBO series 'The Wire' (and McNulty was a complete cunt imho ;) and in real life the actor ,Dominic West, is now married to my childhood sweetheart grrrrrrhhhh! )

paskowitz

Just curious Pask, can one dupe GT academy to get an easier geographical area ? eg. Ireland!

Off Topic - weekend_warrior is that you holding your new copy of 'Twisted Metal'? If true, you are a dead ringer for 'McNulty' from the HBO series 'The Wire' (and McNulty was a complete cunt imho ;) and in real life the actor ,Dominic West, is now married to my childhood sweetheart grrrrrrhhhh! )

Well with technology these days, saying something is not possible, is usually foolhardy. I believe it was configured by IP, so you would have to make it look like it was coming from some place else.

Not that that will do you any good because, to be honest, the competition is tough no matter where you go.

This race is good for me because IIRC I was 98th on the east coast 3 weeks before the GT Academy NA ended. I remember the death of me was that freakin chicane. I lost over .25 sec every time I went through it. I just never figured out to maintain my momentum.

Still not as bad as Cape Ring. I hate that track to this day. I was .9 seconds off 8th place (1-8 went on) and .7 of that .9 was on Cape Ring. Bad memories.

I was second overall on the southwest the day before the last retry they gave the academy.

Then i had to go on a business trip and couldn´t put some time to go to the finals. I was genuinely considering buying plane tickets to Orlando to be there. (i have an adress from a friend there, so i would be eligible).

After sandbagging the first round things got really interesting after the top 128. Most fun i had with GT5 by far.

I just wish the next academy is not so full of screw ups like the ones we had.

paskowitz

I was second overall on the southwest the day before the last retry they gave the academy.

Then i had to go on a business trip and couldn´t put some time to go to the finals. I was genuinely considering buying plane tickets to Orlando to be there. (i have an adress from a friend there, so i would be eligible).

After sandbagging the first round things got really interesting after the top 128. Most fun i had with GT5 by far.

I just wish the next academy is not so full of screw ups like the ones we had.

I agree. They also need to avoid that stupid corner cutting fiasco. I think they should also have a wildcard winner. Someone who enters the GT5 component, does not make it to the top but still in lets say the top 100, who then gets a chance to go to the regional finals. The regionals also need to up their equipment from DFGTs to T500RSs.

I have heard rumors its coming back, but nothing concrete.

I'm out ... :p

:(

Pics from last Sunday

Lap 1 - First Corner Dibbz speeds off into the distance never to be seen again...

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F.jpg

Lap 3 - Niks 5th has an impromptu sand bath with paskowitz, asclepio & MikeDub ahead.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_1.jpg

Lap 5 - Tau 10th is first to hit the pits with dubc35 beyond.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_10.jpg

Lap 6 - 2scoops 11th is caught out by braking slipstream narrowly avoiding chillumchilla 10th

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_9.jpg

Lap 10 - weekend_warrior 7th vs dubc35 8th with MetalMurphy 9th at the rear

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_8.jpg

Lap 13 - MikeDub 5th vs asclepio_gtr 4th

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_7.jpg

Lap 17 - PvtPyleFMJ with the pack baying for blood behind.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_6.jpg

Lap 20 - 'The money shot' Dibbz 1st passes the finish line and chillumchilla 10th for once doesn't get lapped :)

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_5.jpg

Now the trophy awards ;)

'Most promising noobie'
- dubc35

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_4.jpg

'Most brave but foolish car choice' - 2scoops

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_3.jpg

'Best PJ' (paint job) - miky_megalowaz

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2520GP_F_2.jpg

Oh yeah one more thing my car for Sunday!

Lucerne%2520-%2520Chapel%2520Bridge.jpg

fin.

Dibbz

Great pics there. Nice awards to lol.

Something has come up for me on Sunday. I should still be able to make it with plenty of time to spare but should anything hold me up I thought I should let you guys know before hand.

2scoops

lol, I hope 2scoops at least had fun during the race, but he really did shoot himself in the foot with that car.

Shot myself myself in both feet with that car, but i had lots of fun! Enjoyed every second of it!

Chillumchilla, i'm honored, and graciously accept that award! Great pics too

Tau

Great pics chillumchilla, was my first race and I'm just glad it was a clean one really :).

Here's my Nissan (Z34) ready for the next race...

FXp32.jpg

... yeah boy!

dubc35

I was in the mid 1'43's yesterday. Niks had a 1'41.9 on the last page so I assume he's lowered that already. :(

I hope I'm on in qualy too. I forgot what I was last race. My start was terrible. I need to improve that.

Niks

I was in the mid 1'43's yesterday. Niks had a 1'41.9 on the last page so I assume he's lowered that already. :(

I havent done any more laps.
I asked before but no one answered, are we going to run with the default setup? Or are we allowed to tinker with the suspension settings etc?

I havent done any more laps.
I asked before but no one answered, are we going to run with the default setup? Or are we allowed to tinker with the suspension settings etc?

All tuning is allowed, but you can only tune up to what Dibbz specified, so no over tuning with turbos and such.

Tuning allowed:
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Sports Exhaust

Aero Kits (spoilers etc)
All other non PP enhancing components

Tau

I hope I'm on in qualy too. I forgot what I was last race. My start was terrible. I need to improve that.

Well today I was testing what I could get out the car without tweaking it. But will begin tweaking gear ratios see If I can improve.

1'41... I hope Niks hit's bad form during quali :p heheh

Dibbz

I think a low 1.43 is probably good for race pace. Still not decided on laps but from what I did test tyre wear seemed low on this track so it will probably be 25 or more.

Yeah Paskowitz I think we are all ready for you to go light speed on your quali lap :p

Glad you like the car track combo Weekend.

paskowitz

1:39.8 as of right now, but I would say I have just about 1 second more left to give.

Some tips:
-Trail brake hard into the first corner but do not be stupid and hit the tires.
-Turn 3 to 4 approach is very difficult. You must approach wide and get the car turned in.
-Full throttle until T6
-T6 is a like T1 at Laguna. Double apex. Make sure to stay on the left when approaching T7.
-DO NOT HIT THE YELLOW PAINT ON T7!!!!!
-Approach T8 so that you can take 9 coming from as far to the left is possible.
-Coming through T9 cut to the inside on T10 and full throttle out.
-T11 is a very slight brake down shift, cut as much as possible or just avoid the curb. Hitting it directly will cause a sloppy exit if you have a stiff and low suspension
-T12 can cause problems for your speed on the straight. You can't just take it. Keep this in mind when setting up a pass. Pass after T12, not before.

amar212

Why hasn't GT had brake upgrades?

Do not take me 100% correct on this, because I didn't bother to do any testing of the following..

..but apparently when you buy a upgrade to suspension kit, the brake-kit also upgrades automatically for one class.

On the same note, recently I played every GT game again and was surprised to remember how back in GT2 all assists (stability / traction..) should have been BOUGHT separately in the Tuning section in order to have them.

So awesome really, it would be "PD Fail!" riots all over the GTP now for such design, but from my standpoint it would be glorious to have such option back.

dalin80

Banned
Do not take me 100% correct on this, because I didn't bother to do any testing of the following..

..but apparently when you buy a upgrade to suspension kit, the brake-kit also upgrades automatically for one class.

On the same note, recently I played every GT game again and was surprised to remember how back in GT2 all assists (stability / traction..) should have been BOUGHT separately in the Tuning section in order to have them.

So awesome really, it would be "PD Fail!" riots all over the GTP now for such design, but from my standpoint it would be glorious to have such option back.

Purchasing electronic aids made a hell of a lot more sense then including them on every car by default and added more to the starting game as buying that cheap turbo FR car had a bit more risk to it.

dubc35

It would be nice if you had to purchase them (or if the default was off for everything). I could see the PD fail too. I guess the people saying that should push them harder to develop and release Gran Turismo for Boys.

l2ounD

Hey guys,

Kinda late but I'd love to do this race. Its my favorite combo from the GTacademy

I bought a new slim awhile back but have been real busy with work, so I barely touched it. But things have been slowing down a bit now so more time for the video games :)

So count me back up in this, P.S. Pasko going down! :D

Niks

Posting for new page

YXEcf.png

gt5_indy_bannernu6k4.jpg

370Z at Indianapolis

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1330286400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
380BHP / 491PP with tuning
1530kg
Tuning allowed:
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Sports Exhaust

Aero Kits (spoilers etc)
All other non PP enhancing components
Tyre Selection
Sports Soft​
Track:
Road Course Indy (Indianapolis)​
Laps:
TBD
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (1 / 16):
  • 01 - Dibbz
  • 02 - paskowitz
  • 03 - 2scoops
  • 04 - Niks
  • 05 - weekend_warrior
  • 06 - Tau
  • 07 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 08 - chillumchilla
  • 09 - MikeDub
  • 10 - l2ounD
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - dubc35
  • R2 - pax217
  • R3 - ashk
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

dubc35

Sorry guys I won't be able to make it today. Good luck to everyone. Nice pickup on the DFGT too, w_w. It will completely change your GT experience for the better!

pax217

I won't be able to make it either, too much work that I didn't get done yesterday. Look forward to seeing the photos and hopefully I can make it next week.

Does anyone ever upload the replays?

Toxa

congrats patriots , awesome race :)

race results :
200908IMGP1075.jpg

qualify:
381912IMGP1066.jpg

fastest lap:
723865IMGP1073.jpg

IMO patau loose the race just on strategy but he did a great race, bravo :)

+ bonus pic

700012CircuitroutierIndianapolis.jpg

tau's flight

Business

IMO patau loose the race just on strategy but he did a great race, bravo :)

Eh thanks. I lost some 12 seconds to nabs and 9 to pask I'd say... so bad.
Anyway I'm happy I've put one qualy lap after the other with no major mistake, except that I forgot to pit of course ... :)

Top Bottom