• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Niks

Great race, special mention to patau, shame about the pits...
Watching the replay, the first 4 laps were great, and Nabs and Pasks battle was also awesome. Great to see RoundD back, why did you wait so long to pit?

Also, 4 different leaders during the race. We don't see that too often
;)

PS. Nab whatever you did on the last try on your router, keep doing it! lol.

l2ounD

Fun!

I missed GT <3

Almost caught you Niks! and I wanted to pit when the lead guy did... :p
and and I definitely should have setup my car before hand.
But still fun tons of doortodoor action!

Fantastic race, loved every bit of it.

Quick recap-

2fJCD.jpg

Lap 1, A bit of paint rubbing in the first few corners but everyone makes it safe, Patau leads, followed by Pask, Nab and Niks.

I9n7O.jpg

Lap 5, I accidently bump Kaze and he goes into the sand, losing spots to Lazlow and 2scoop. (Sorry Kaze!)

f75Sa.jpg

Lap 7, Pask almost spins but saves and stays ahead Nab.

sY8YY.jpg

Lap 8,Battling Kaze and Lazlow I get deep into sand and lose poition, Kaze takes 7th and Laz 8th.

3gUP7.jpg

Lap 11, Niks(4th) overtake Dibbz(5th) on the oval.

ybAGV.jpg

And a lap later RounD overtakes Dibbz and Niks on the oval for 4th.

Hfemr.jpg

Lap 12, another uncharacteristic mistake by Pask and he falls further behind Patau and Nab.

2Nmdo.jpg

Lap 14, Chillumchilla stays out longer on his first tires then most and gets as high as 7th , but gets overtaking by Niks here and later pits.

hVcPI.jpg

Tau_86- having survived a car bomb appearently- in the pits lap 14.

uqtgv.jpg

Lap 15- Patau, who lead the entire first half, stays on his first tires too long and can only watch as Nab passes for the lead.

APLl2.jpg

Followed by Pask

k3aiM.jpg

Lap 18-Me and Lazlow continue to battle for 8th. Kaze ahead.

tDc7O.jpg

Lap 20- Nab goes wide on turn 2 and Pask passes for the lead.

kCAFI.jpg

Lap 25- -Chillumchilla moves out of the way for the tight last lap battle for 1st place between Nab and Pask.

L7gSS.jpg

15 After 25 laps Pask crosses 1/10th of a second ahead of Nab.

h5zQX.jpg

A great race but bad pit management and Patau has to settle for 3rd

Kaze13

WW - great photos! No problem about that bump. I caught up but to the detriment of my first set of tires. I gotta say, the Z34 is fantastic to drive on sport settings. I just put it on sport everything and went out racing. The only thing I didn't like was that I took it easy on the tires but they still degraded quite quickly.

paskowitz

Watching the race over again, I noticed something. Gearing was my key to victory. Patau had more corner grip. Nab and I were about even through the corners, but I had a couple MPH advantage on the straight. This was critical on the final laps because Nab's gearing as not long enough and he maxed out to early to make an early effective pass. Just before quali started I put a couple extra MPH on my top speed. 173mph I think with stock final drive. More than anything this won me the race.

You may not win quali with this strategy, but it may just win you the race.

l2ounD

lol, most visible damage award

I dont think Ive seen a car with the bumber sunk in that much, plus that big brown patch? haha.

What are you guys thinking about for next week? I thought maybe in honor of US Top Gear we could do a Camaro SS '10 vs Challenger '08 vs Mustang GT '07 on Daytona Road Course. Or we could do a classics race with the Z28 '69, Challenger R/T '70, and Mustang Mach 1 '71. Any thoughts?

paskowitz

What are you guys thinking about for next week? I thought maybe in honor of US Top Gear we could do a Camaro SS '10 vs Challenger '08 vs Mustang GT '07 on Daytona Road Course. Or we could do a classics race with the Z28 '69, Challenger R/T '70, and Mustang Mach 1 '71. Any thoughts?
Definitely classics. Maybe no tire wear but comfort soft tires and no aids at all, including abs. Would be hilarious.

pax217

Definitely classics. Maybe no tire wear but comfort soft tires and no aids at all, including abs. Would be hilarious.

I am planning on working from home next Sunday so I can join. This sounds like a good first race for me to be a part of ha ha

Angst

I'm back! :D

If you guys are having fun I'll let you organize this Sunday's race and I'll just join for the race. Week after that I'll be skiing again, but after that I want to organize another race again.

Chamonix was awesome btw!

Dibbz

Holy shit...that's my car underneath Tau...LOLOLOL

This is what happens when you are not synced properly with other players. I'd advise everyone that had problems to go through their routers and open any ports or just DMZ their PS3 ready for next week.

Well done the Podium.

Great pics and commentary weekend_warrior thanks.

Just watching some replays, thank fuck Ashk didn't get disconnected in the end as otherwise his/her awesome duel with pask would have not taken place.

And SpeedofNuts was smokin'.

Poor old Tau that carbomb was some serious shit!

Please help me on my pit stratey - I pitted on lap 15 so my tyres would be good for the frantic last 5 laps, am I a certified madman?

Also my car was rolling about like a bowling ball perhaps I should have stiffened things up more?

p.s. On the router front I would recommend, if at all possible, stringing an ethernet cable direct to your router to get NAT 1 (mine is 15m long from the office to the living room)

nice work dub!

I'm gonna head to the online to see if this muscle car race would be viable. If I'm not in the NRL lounge check the public rooms in Daytona tracks.

paskowitz

Well done the Podium.

Just watching some replays, thank fuck Ashk didn't get disconnected in the end as otherwise his/her awesome duel with pask would have not taken place.

Please help me on my pit stratey - I pitted on lap 15 so my tyres would be good for the frantic last 5 laps, am I a certified madman?

Thanks.

I severely doubt there is a female driver among us. From my experience, I have only encountered one online and it was just someones sister playing.

Just playing Project C.A.R.S. I have to say, I hope GT5 adds Imola as a circuit. It is now one of my favorite tracks. Nurb, Spa, Bathurst, Imola, Laguna... in that order.

Also, Angst, where is the leaderboard :p

YXEcf.png

hqjdB.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R/4 Concept '01 Race

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1330891200z1.png

Allowed cars:Suzuki GSX-R/4 Concept '01 (standard). If you do not have one of these tell us and someone will gift it.

Tuning allowed:
Fully Tuned. Should be 283hp, 588kg, 589PP.
Tyre Selection
Racing Soft​
Track:
Autumn Ring​
Laps:
30 (tentative)
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Light​
Assists
ABS
TCS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (1 / 16):
  • 01 - weekend_warrior
  • 02 - paskowitz
  • 03 - Dibbz
  • 04 - dubc35
  • 05 - Niks
  • 06 - Metalmurphy
  • 07 - chillumchilla
  • 08 - pax217
  • 09 - Angst
  • 10 - 2scoops
  • 11 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 12 - RounD
  • 13 - Risk Breaker
  • 14 - MikeDub
  • 15 - Kaze13
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Not the race some of you might have been expecting, but I tested the classics race and didn't really like it. For one the cars stock topped out at 115mph, which meant you where red lining for 3/4 of the straights. We could allow the tuning but that kinda of ruins the point of using muscle cars, and we'd need a bunch of testing to see how even the cars are. And on top of that the track fells too similar to Indy last week, and I don't think many people would have enjoyed it.

The Gixxer race is one I've been wanting to do for a while, and supped up with RS tires they drive like uber go-karts, plus there should be some interesting pit strategies and tight battling throughout.

paskowitz

A cool idea I just thought of, what about a NRL drift competition? With judging done by spectators. We could do solo runs and tandem runs with a bracket elimination system. Considering that none of us (as far as I know) are particularly great at drifting so this would definitely be step outside everyone's comfort zone and thus be a fun experience.

paskowitz

Not to be a downer, but I am not a fan of the car and track combo. If it is not too much trouble, I would humbly suggest NASCAR cars on the Daytona road course. Daytona race is happening now and since NRL is multinational, the road course is better. Not to mention no set up would be needed.

Not to be a downer, but I am not a fan of the car and track combo. If it is not too much trouble, I would humbly suggest NASCAR cars on the Daytona road course. Daytona race is happening now and since NRL is multinational, the road course is better. Not to mention no set up would be needed.

I thought about that and did some laps today while thinking about it, but I just don't see it being anything but a disaster. The NASCARS are very fast, and the track in VERY narrow, and trying to take turns with 12-15 other cars around you would be extremely difficult. I think a lot of people would end up getting frustrated.

Try the car and track settings I put down, it's basically a glorified go-kart race. And if we get a good turn out there should be a lot of back-and-forth going on.

Polyphony

No PS3 yet! Ordered a lens from eBay, I hope it gets here before Sunday.

(if it does, I'll be good to go, got this car in my garage)

Business

T1 is probably the best part about Indy Road.

Great shots BTW.

Yes I think the whole first part until the back straight is great, the line is absolutely beautiful. From then it goes a bit down to the point I hate the last corner leading to the oval.

Fantastic shots Niks, thanks for taking the time.

EDIT: I would appreciate if someone would be so kind to gift me the car for next week's race or tell me how I can get it myself

Love the car choice. A while back there was a Online A-Spec time trial and all the top 10 were using that car. Like the Caterham, it has a high performance motorcycle engine under its hood so awesome p/w ratio. Also our avatars can dress up in their finest livery for the cameras yeh!

One thing, will RS tyres not be too sticky?

I have one, but not sure how to dupe gift?

Hmm, I wasn't expecting so many people didn't have it. You can win one doing the B-Spec Formula GT race, it's pretty easy to win, if not a little time consuming. I'll send one to Pask first since he's already on my friends list. I also share one on my profile for anyone that wants to at least try it in practice. But I can only gift 1 a day so some other people will need to help.

Love the car choice. A while back there was a Online A-Spec time trial and all the top 10 were using that car. Like the Caterham, it has a high performance motorcycle engine under its hood so awesome p/w ratio. Also our avatars can dress up in their finest livery for the cameras yeh!

One thing, will RS tyres not be too sticky?

Yep, but that's what I was going for, a fast, quick, go-kart like experiences. And the tires will need 3 or 4 pits over 30 laps, so hopefully there will be a lot of position changes.

I have one, but not sure how to dupe gift?

If you have a USB stick go to Saved Data Utility (PS3), copy to USB. If you don't have a USB stick, copy it to a separate account you have on that PS3. Then you go into the game, gift the car, exit, go back into Saved Data Utility, delete your GT5 save. Scroll to the top to access your USB stick and copy the file back into your account. Or if you copied it to a different account, log into that one, go to Saved Data Utility, and copy it back to your main account.

pax217

I will need a Gixxer 250, I tried a few races in B-Spec but I swear I have OJ as my driver and he thinks I'm a cop, cause he won't listen to me and he drives slow as hell.

Top Bottom