• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

t1334516400z0.png

t1334516400z0.png

t1334516400z0.png

Risgroo

Damnit, I'm getting an error: Entry was refused due to network incompatibility with the room owner (768). I'll try resetting my router...

pax217

I'm still getting the same message, sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it's really quick to tell me, though... makes me think I'll get lucky one of these times.

...in the mean time, TOO MUCH XYLOPHONE ON THIS MENU MUSIC.

After about 30 tries: I'm in :)

paskowitz

I'm still getting the same message, sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it's really quick to tell me, though... makes me think I'll get lucky one of these times.

...in the mean time, TOO MUCH XYLOPHONE ON THIS MENU MUSIC.

try again pax. Niks is the new host.

dubc35

Sorry guys, I had a bad race early so I pitted. I then found myself racing with front runners and laying off against people I was actually racing (sorry Kaz and pask). I had much fresher tires so I was just hanging out behind you. I decided to quit out as to no longer disrupt the front runners. Good race by everyone though.

Risgroo

I have school tomorrow, so I have to get some sleep. Hopefully I'll be able to complete a race next week, as it was fun while it lasted.

Niks

Good race, everyone. A bit messy at the star but its normal with new participants. :)
Why so many dropouts?

Any way I pitted on lap 10 and lap 26.
Led the race for one lap, gave Nab a hard time ;)

FootballFan

That was pretty good race, even though i spent most of it by myself. Had to pit 4 times unfortunately as my tires were deteriorating too rapidly. At the end i think that's what may have cost me a spot or two. Any tips on preserving tires for longer periods.

Was fairly clean race also, but got slowed down by back-markers sometimes just as i had come out of pits with fresh set.

But fifth wasn't too shabby. Just wish less people dropped out.

paskowitz

Lets try to get a head count of the people who can make it next weekend. That way we can pick a car and a track that fits the number of people able to join.

I am in for next weekend.

pax217

Sorry I bailed the way I did, I got the call I wasn't expecting to get-- in the office now :(

Hope you guys had a good time, I was just getting the hang of working with the understeer too...

paskowitz

I think next race we should keep things simple. Complete stock set up (IE no car tuning). One make. On a relatively simple track. For cars I was thinking BMW M5, Lotus Evora, or Vette Z06. For the track Nurburgring GP/D (the short one). M5 is the most fitting IMO. Sports medium tires. 30 laps. Light damage. Weak slip. Real grip. etc.

How does this sound?

ashk

Not the most exciting race for me, but I'm glad the NRL is back :)

For the next race, stock sounds good. No tuning is good as it tends to make the racing closer since there's no advantage to be gained in finding a good tune. I'd also prefer keeping at least stock tyres (Sports Hard) but I know most people don't share my opinion so feel free to ignore me on that :)

Congrats again Nab. We had a great turn out in the beginning but people kept dropping like flies. Not sure if it was mostly connection issues or frustration, but hopefully we won't have the same problem next week.

I think next race we should keep things simple. Complete stock set up (IE no car tuning). One make. On a relatively simple track. For cars I was thinking BMW M5, Lotus Evora, or Vette Z06. For the track Nurburgring GP/D (the short one). M5 is the most fitting IMO. Sports medium tires. 30 laps. Light damage. Weak slip. Real grip. etc.

How does this sound?

1 make is a good idea, but we did a race on Nurb GP not too long ago, so maybe a different track choice.

I'd love to do a simple F430 race sometime too.

paskowitz

Congrats again Nab. We had a great turn out in the beginning but people kept dropping like flies. Not sure if it was mostly connection issues or frustration, but hopefully we won't have the same problem next week.

1 make is a good idea, but we did a race on Nurb GP not too long ago, so maybe a different track choice.

I'd love to do a simple F430 race sometime too.

At this point I think we have done almost every track (at least every location) besides Rome. So if you want something new, that would be it.

At this point I think we have done almost every track (at least every location) besides Rome. So if you want something new, that would be it.

Yeah, true. I'll just leave it up to you since you've been doing a great job setting up races.

We haven't done any rally races yet either. ;)

paskowitz

Stock F430s (sport tires?) in Rome sounds awesome.

Yeah, I think this is what we are going to go with. Do you guys want the regular F430 or the 430 Scuderia?

The first moment we can get 16 people (16 sign up and some in reserve) we are going to the Challenger TC vs Camaro RM at Le Mans.

Kaze13

Had on ok race running 52-53's early and 54's late. I pitted once and made the best of it. I made some costly errors though. The first was target fixating behind patriots into the ditch. He made it out fine but I got stuck for a bit and lost my chance to hang behind him on the after pitting. That sucked. I don't think it would have mattered though. He was still much quicker overall. It would have been more fun than completely losing him. Anyway, for the most part, the backmarkers did an excellent job recognizing the front runners. I had a few run ins that were not ideal for me but hey, thats racing.

Late in the race, I pushed harder than I should have (backmarkers worried me a bit by altering my lines and losing time). I didn't know how close Niks was. I didn't even know he was within striking distance! That sucked but hey, that's racing. I should have stuck to my plan and kept my wits. Oh well. Still fun.

What lap times did you guys run anyway? I wanted to stay in 53.xxx for the majority of my laps.

pax217

Had on ok race running 52-53's early and 54's late. I pitted once and made the best of it. I made some costly errors though. The first was target fixating behind patriots into the ditch. He made it out fine but I got stuck for a bit and lost my chance to hang behind him on the after pitting. That sucked. I don't think it would have mattered though. He was still much quicker overall. It would have been more fun than completely losing him. Anyway, for the most part, the backmarkers did an excellent job recognizing the front runners. I had a few run ins that were not ideal for me but hey, thats racing.

Late in the race, I pushed harder than I should have (backmarkers worried me a bit by altering my lines and losing time). I didn't know how close Niks was. I didn't even know he was within striking distance! That sucked but hey, that's racing. I should have stuck to my plan and kept my wits. Oh well. Still fun.

What lap times did you guys run anyway? I wanted to stay in 53.xxx for the majority of my laps.

In the laps I ran in practice (I made it through about 30min of practice, and about three laps of Mil6es' self-proclaimed race) I was actually trying and never broke into 52.xxx

Yeah, I think this is what we are going to go with. Do you guys want the regular F430 or the 430 Scuderia?

The first moment we can get 16 people (16 sign up and some in reserve) we are going to the Challenger TC vs Camaro RM at Le Mans.

Scud missles will make for a more athletic race which is probably good for the Rome track, F430 would be more subdued which is good for Sundays :D As for the race itself, I've got it on my calendar and hope to make it.

I did that too. Hate when that happens.

Hit a couples 52's in the race, mostly had low 53's for good laps, low 54's for bad laps, and 55-58's when tires got really bad.

Kaze13

I tried to get into 52.xxx but I was not able. Rather than focusing on outright speed, I settled on consistent 53's. I make it hard for myself though. I go in with no ABS. I like the feel of the cars a lot better that way.

Just get my two cent in...

Circuite de la Sarthe, variable time & weather, racing Le Mans prototypes.

Heavy damage with a no overtaking warm up lap.

ashk

I've been wanting another LMP race for a long time, but there aren't a lot of LMP fans around here. Maybe in 3 weeks an LMP race on Spa to coincide with the WEC race? ;)

paskowitz

Just get my two cent in...

Circuite de la Sarthe, variable time & weather, racing Le Mans prototypes.

Heavy damage with a no overtaking warm up lap.

How does this sound?:

I tested this for the next race. Its a great combination.

Track:
Circuit de la Sarthe Time/Weather Change
Time setting so the race ends just as the track goes dark. IE the last laps should be at knight. I want to set the weather to 0 but give the track 10-20% standing water so the beginning of the race is scary but dries out over time. Basically at the start the challenge is the water, then as the race ends its the night.

Laps:
15-20

Cars:
Dodge Challenge SRT8 TC
-Full tune (no engine lvls. Comes with lvl 1 stock.) (662hp, 592ft/lbs, 1285kg, ~618pp)

Camaro SS '10 RM
-Full tune (no engine lvls) (HP limited, ~600hp [still working on this], 592ft/lbs, 1210kg, ~613pp) (This car is faster given the PP so some adjustments will have to be made)

Tires:
Special Rules: Everyone has to use a set of Racing Hards and Racing Mediums. A la F1. So if you quali on RM you have to use RH at some point during the race and vice versa.

The two cars a lot of fun to drive and have great straightline speed. The Challenger is a little faster on the straight and has neutral handling. The Camaro is slower on the top end, a little nervous to drive, but takes corners much faster and accelerates better. Both cars should be in the 3:5X.xxx range maybe. Once I get them within a second I will post the final settings.

While I am sure this seems complicated, the only complicated part are the tire rules, and the separate quali entries a la the 458vsSLS race. Then again, when we did not there were no issues so I see no reason it would be a problem now.

Race pics.

Lap 1 - After first turn MikeDub , Ashk , and Metalmurphy take pole positions

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course.jpg

Lap 2 - Paskovitz in one of only two CRZ's

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_11.jpg

Lap 4 - Kaizor Penguin 8th overtakes weekend_warrior 7th

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_1.jpg

Lap 10 - Niks 3rd chases paskowitz

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_2.jpg

Lap 12 - Kaze13 3rd spots dubc35 10th in his rear view mirror

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_3.jpg

Lap 18 - MikeDub enter the pits for beer & baccy but never exits.....

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_4.jpg

Lap 22 - FootballFan climbs up to 3rd place before pitting

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_5.jpg

Lap 24 - Metalmurphy 7th & chillumchilla 8th fight it out at the back

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_6.jpg

Lap 31 - Ashk 1st shoots past vissione who is slowed by his sports tyres

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_7.jpg

Lap 35 - FootballFan on fresh tyres gets past a compromised weekend_warrior

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_8.jpg

Lap 40 - Niks 4th & Kaze13 3rd looking to lap chillumchilla 7th

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_9.jpg

Lap 40 - Ashk 1st passes the finish line with no one in sight!

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_10.jpg

fin.

dubc35

Sweet pics!

Lap 12 - Kaze13 3rd spots dubc35 10th in his rear view mirror

Suzuka%2520Circuit%2520East%2520Course_3.jpg
This is where it went south for me. Root cause is I usually don't use the grid order overlay on screen when I race. I need to do that on these longer races so I know where I am. I was on newer tires so I was right on Kaze but I wasn't racing for position. It seemed like Kaze was confused some too. My apologies for this, to you and paskowitz. I was between you two for a couple laps before I decided to drop out as to not interfere with front runners.

paskowitz

Sweet pics!

This is where it went south for me. Root cause is I usually don't use the grid order overlay on screen when I race. I need to do that on these longer races so I know where I am. I was on newer tires so I was right on Kaze but I wasn't racing for position. It seemed like Kaze was confused some too. My apologies for this, to you and paskowitz. I was between you two for a couple laps before I decided to drop out as to not interfere with front runners.
Don't apologize and don't drop out. As long as you are not ramming people or trying to overtake the front runners you deserve the right to race. It's the only way to get better. It's our job to get past you and I did not remember you getting my way.

Kaze13

dubc35 said:
Sweet pics!

Don't apologize and don't drop out. As long as you are not ramming people or trying to overtake the front runners you deserve the right to race. It's the only way to get better. It's our job to get past you and I did not remember you getting my way.

Agreed. That's racing yo. I think what he is referring to was when I had tires way past prime and I was struggling to keep ahead of him while trying to keep up with you.

dubc35

Yeah it was a weird situation because I was right on the back of Kaze and felt like I was pressuring him but at the same time my tires were so fresh I was basically coasting around on most corners. I finally decided to pass and then was on paskowitz for a bit before bailing.

So I guess if someone makes a mistake early, pits and then has race pace above front runners should they still sit back if they can safely pass? I went probably 3 laps or so before deciding to pass Kaze. I'm completely fine with sitting back, I made mistakes which got me there in the first place but I thought I should ask.

I'll try to be back after a couple weeks when I'll be away. Later in the summer I'll miss some days during autocross season but I like racing here.

Top Bottom