• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 | NeoGAF Racing League | One-off races

Kaze13

Yeah it was a weird situation because I was right on the back of Kaze and felt like I was pressuring him but at the same time my tires were so fresh I was basically coasting around on most corners. I finally decided to pass and then was on paskowitz for a bit before bailing.

So I guess if someone makes a mistake early, pits and then has race pace above front runners should they still sit back if they can safely pass? I went probably 3 laps or so before deciding to pass Kaze. I'm completely fine with sitting back, I made mistakes which got me there in the first place but I thought I should ask.

I'll try to be back after a couple weeks when I'll be away. Later in the summer I'll miss some days during autocross season but I like racing here.

If you are faster then safely pass. Simple as that.

La mia macchina, opaco blu.

mMLoT.jpg

T1MOn.jpg

pax217

I spent 350k on that Integra last week?!?!? HOW?!?

*goes and gets in the X2010 and runs through the Expert series to get money back.

paskowitz

YXEcf.png

FCff5.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1335122100z0.png

Allowed cars: Ferrari 430 "Scud Missile" Scuderia

Tuning allowed:
No tuning is allowed
Tyre Selection
Sports Mediums​
Track:
Rome Reverse​
Laps:
Pit Stops:
Yes
Damage
Light​
Assists
TCS, ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (09 / 16):
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 - Niks
  • 03 - weekend_warrior
  • 04 - chillumchilla
  • 05 - mikedub
  • 06 - xun
  • 07 - 2scoops
  • 08 - l2ound
  • 09 - KaizorPenguin
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

No special rules this race​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

paskowitz

I remember that one. You overtook on my left but I braked really late and overshot the second apex and that's where you took my place. That was a good one. Great race craft there pats.

Classic example of setting up a pass and committing to it. It is also shows a difference between cars. Coming into the final corner I knew I had to get close because my car had less straight line speed. So I got close enough to have an effective draft to get beside you. You went to the inside, naturally, to defend. So I went outside. I knew my car had more downforce and cornering ability. Turn 1 is a double apex so if you are wide on apex one you can be in on apex 2. This was essentially an undercut. The inside of apex 2 is more banked than the outside and as a result has more grip. The pass was then made.

paskowitz

Tires are now sports mediums. Sports hards were too hard to control with controller users. I have to warn everyone, this track is VERY hard. Putting down a clean lap is almost impossible. In addition there are 2-3 different track surfaces on this track. The 2nd to last corner starts off as cobblestone but then shifts to asphalt. This is creates a lot of understeer.

Risgroo

Tires are now sports mediums. Sports hards were too hard to control with controller users. I have to warn everyone, this track is VERY hard. Putting down a clean lap is almost impossible. In addition there are 2-3 different track surfaces on this track. The 2nd to last corner starts off as cobblestone but then shifts to asphalt. This is creates a lot of understeer.

I can't even remember driving the reverse version of this track, haha. Starting to master it now, though I'm probably massa-esque compared to you guys. My fastest is 1:18.201, but I know there are at least 5 tenths around easily, if I just string together a clean lap. Mediums will be very helpful in doing that.

EDIT: Down to 1:15:688 with mediums.

Yeah I'm having a lot of trouble with the reverse version too. I know the normal version great because of the licence test with the 512BB, but the reverse is a mess for me.

l2ounD

The little kink before the long straight is going to be nasty with traffic through there. I hope im on pole, infront of everyone! :p

With the mediums im doing low 14s possible 13s.

The car feeling is good, though its easy to miss judge something and understeer into the wall. But controlling a little tail waggle feels comfortable, not too snappy. Should be fun!

l2ounD

Some late night driving, I was able to find the low 13s but dont think ill be getting 12s.

Awesome lap Pasko, looking super tight vs me. Im slidding everywhere and need to brake super early to turn in right.

I need to go copy your braking :D

Congrats Pask and Round. Wasn't much of a race for me, never got a feel for the track, ended up spending most of the race just drifting around. Next week hopefully we'll use a proper track. Spa, Grand Vally, something like that.

l2ounD

Track was a bit rough to get right for me. I couldnt find the sweet spot in the baking zone. Either braking to early or to late, but still I liked it as frustrating as that was.

Had some fun exchanges with Lazlow and Pasko till he began pulling away. Trophy for Pask, dominating quali and the race.

So Clio next? On Grand Valley sounds fun.

ashk

Had some connection issues after the race (good thing it wasn't during the race) so couldn't stick around in chat to say what I meant to say.

First of all big apologies to gutterboy for ramming into him in lap 2, I screwed up massively in the first two laps due to cold tyres. I stuck around to give you your place back, but unfortunately you lost a few more places as well.

Secondly, about the no stop strategy. I didn't do any practice until right before the start of the race because I was expecting to play the Diablo beta all weekend, but I kinda got bored and decided to join the race. So my pace was severely lacking, but I did about 17 practice laps and the tyres seemed to be OK so I thought it would probably be better if I didn't pit at all. And it turned out it was, I didn't have any tyre trouble until close to the end when the grip was a bit worse. I might have ended up a bit higher if it wasn't for the two big mistakes I made (crashing into gutterboy at the beginning and forgetting to brake for a corner at the end).

Risgroo

I hit Lazlow at the start, and then again as I was slisptreaming someone the next lap, this put me out of contention and I was in a lonely 6th most of the race.

Well done Patrovitz et al.

Sneaky Nab, couldn't understand why I could keep up with him when he was so many places ahead!

Shame w_w pitted indefinitely, he was my only competition ;(

Well done Patrovitz et al.

Sneaky Nab, couldn't understand why I could keep up with him when he was so many places ahead!

Shame w_w pitted indefinitely, he was my only competition ;(

Nah, trust me I was no competition for you today, I had no feel for the track at all. It was fun for the moment I got into 4th because of the accident ahead, but I didn't want to hold anyone up so I eased up and let them pass, then had a laps with you and Kaizor, but after you passed and were off in the horizon I just drifted for a few laps until my tires were burnt and pitted to finish my lunch.

From what I could tell you were doing pretty good, you've come a long way since the timid first race on Monza.

Kaze13

Well that sucked. I practised for this race enough to be upper midpack pace but I was really tired yesterday and then went out to hang out with coworkers till late. Yeah...that wasn't a good idea. I logged on and missed the race in progress by 10 minutes...ugh.

I definitely could have benefited from some more practice. I haven't been playing GT5 as much the last few months. Being able to rotate the car properly at Rome is a must and I was getting understeer with the 430. After my pit stop I adjusted the brake balance more, to 4/6 and was able to finally get a little TBO to get turned in better. So easy to shred your tires or get loose on the double left going into the start finish straight section.

Hopefully I can participate more often, forgot how much fun proper racing can be. God damn paskowitz is fast. Glad he wasn't around on early NGRL days or else none of us would have had any glory! I still hold my two and only two wins with the 512B dearly.

2scoops

As much fun as i had yesterday, all i have to say is that i do not like Rome reverse. I had a hard time keeping the line, then again, mabye i'm just used to Rome normal being so fluid. Great race anyhow! Looking forward to the next one

As much fun as i had yesterday, all i have to say is that i do not like Rome reverse. I had a hard time keeping the line, then again, mabye i'm just used to Rome normal being so fluid. Great race anyhow! Looking forward to the next one

Yeah, I think the general consensus was that the track wasn't a favorite for people.

Kaze13

Yeah, I think the general consensus was that the track wasn't a favorite for people.

You know, I really hated this track during the first GT academy. In time I grew to tolerate it and enjoy it's unique challenge. The different surfaces are really neat.

Top Bottom