• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

cilonen

test_account said:
Have you played much B-Spec?

I'm about equal in a- and b- spec; mid lvl 27 in both although b-spec will pull ahead when the Tsukuba 4 hour I'm running at the mo finishes.

My account did go a bit weird the first time I logged in after the new patch, it told me that I'd unlocked Expert events as I'd reached level 15; despite being lvl 24 or so at the time in both a- and b- spec. It's been fine since though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Is there anything in the game that can give you a 1/4 mile read out like GT4's top-speed test track?

AlphaSnake said:
Is there anything in the game that can give you a 1/4 mile read out like GT4's top-speed test track?
Sadly no.

What was Kaz thinking? There is no way to test out top speed as well and no custom transmission due to "UI" error.

I would so play GT3 again if somebody didn't stole it from me.

test_account

XP-39C²
cilonen said:
I'm about equal in a- and b- spec; mid lvl 27 in both although b-spec will pull ahead when the Tsukuba 4 hour I'm running at the mo finishes.

My account did go a bit weird the first time I logged in after the new patch, it told me that I'd unlocked Expert events as I'd reached level 15; despite being lvl 24 or so at the time in both a- and b- spec. It's been fine since though.
Ok, i see. I got it when i was around level 19 or 20 on B-Spec. Ye, maybe it is some glitch after the 1.05 patch, but i have no idea. I dont mind getting a 2nd 1000-ticket though hehe, i am just wondering why i got it :)

PetriP-TNT said:
I made my first custom track today btw and it's awesome. It's called "Le Ring? What the hell is that?"
Haha, nice name :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBFzerJ1Ss

Crakatak187 said:
Sadly no.

What was Kaz thinking? There is no way to test out top speed as well and no custom transmission due to "UI" error.

I dont know how GT3 and GT4 was regarding this, but there is a track variation of La Sarthe that gives a ca. 5km long straight road. Here it is possible to test top speed. Unfortunately this variation is only available through arcade mode i think, so it might be a bit hassle to go back and forth between arcade mode and GT Life many times in a row, but at least it is possible :)

ChryZ

anddo0 said:
To each his own. I just think it's poorly designed, you can't even quit after a stage, you have to wait through two loading screens (the next race, and then the actual quit load screen). It's beyond frustrating, not to mention this mode has some of the worst loading overall.
You need a bit of spare time that's true, but it wasn't much of a surprise after the first few rally events. I just made some time, sat down and did them in one go:

gt5rally.png

Go get a quality rally car, it will help a bunch.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh lord, the Audi R8 5.2V10 fully maxed out is unbelievably sick. I have to tell my self to slow down more often than not because how quickly it accelerates.

GodofWine

KennyLinder said:
Mustang event done, totally easy. The RX7 one, however, not so easy... :)

I'm struggling with both...3rd place in the 'stang, but a mile back....Rx-7 got 2nd, but I lost by 20 seconds?? really?

I swear there is a glitch in this, in the time back, at first it said 14 secs...then the next check point said 31 sec..then 41 sec...then I started to eat into the lead, got to 4 place, saw 3 cars in front of me...passed them all on the last turn, only said 2nd...something weird going on in that race.

cilonen

Crakatak187 said:
^The car in the Online Dealership?

There are two types of Audi R8; the Le Mans Protoype racer currently in the online dealership and the R8 road car (available in the Audi premium dealership) created to celebrate the achievements of the Le Mans Racer. The road car comes in a 4.something V8 and a 5.2 V10 (which is the one to go for!)

Ahh I see. I seen an R8 Race Car in my used car dealership an it was worth 5 million credits and I was too poor to afford it. In the description it says it has a V10.

Can get 2nd easily in the RX7 event, will try tomorrow again now since I am tired tonight! I think you start to lap the back cars so that might be where the positioning confusion is coming from. I think the No. 1 car is a Skyline and the first car you lap is a Fairlady Z (300ZX to us in the west)

Shaneus

Crakatak187 said:
Sadly no.

Gotta admit, there are some bizarre oversights in this game. Prize cars for one, power restrictions as another. A Japan-only cup is a great idea, but not when you can drive a worked Furai against a pack that contains a Soarer, RX7 and Silvia :lol

Shaneus said:
Gotta admit, there are some bizarre oversights in this game. Prize cars for one, power restrictions as another. A Japan-only cup is a great idea, but not when you can drive a worked Furai against a pack that contains a Soarer, RX7 and Silvia :lol

As in any GT. So don't hold your breath for the next GT.:/

dwebo said:
Force an otherwise normal person to gold IC-10 and in two hours you will have a mass murderer.

edit (after another 25 tries):
- AI that behaves exactly the same each race? Check.
- AI that can't take any corners at a decent speed? Check.
- AI that will gladly ram into you? Fucking Miura check.
- 40fps whenever there are multiple cars in front of you? Check.
- Challenges designed around skid recovery force? Mandatory check.
- Exaggerated drafting effect? Check.
- Disqualifications for collisions? Check.
- Difficulty tuned by a monkey? Check.

It's like they designed some of these overtaking challenges to specifically highlight every major flaw.

Thank fucking Christ that I wasn't the only one, after reading this and the responses I can't imagine why they'd put something so stupid into this game.

You nudge somebody? Maybe a DQ, maybe not, we'll see how you do down the OH YOU LOOKED AT HIM DQ!!

My girl actually grabbed her easel and went into another room to paint.

FUCK IC10

If it was a person I'd ask you all to buy me candy and cigarettes for Christmas because I would murder the shit out of IC10 and I would need some currency while on death row. Kill it with every once of my being.

I would say this is a rant but a rant's anger eventually subsides ... this will dwell in me forever.

Lovin' the wheel though!

Shaneus said:
A Japan-only cup is a great idea, but not when you can drive a worked Furai against a pack that contains a Soarer, RX7 and Silvia :lol

But do don't have to use a Furai. You could check out the typical opponents and choose your car accordingly. It's not optimal but there is the option.

And I love the overtaking challenges in licenses but again, I do like bosses that have patterns and shit :lol

theignoramus said:
you're in for barrels of fun when you unlock the Vettel challenges.:lol
I've got really fast reflexes, and I'm taking optimal lines and everything but I can't seem to beat it, I got 4th EASILY last time but this time it's just bad.

anddo0

ChryZ said:
You need a bit of spare time that's true, but it wasn't much of a surprise after the first few rally events. I just made some time, sat down and did them in one go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Brainshrimp/gt5rally.png

Go get a quality rally car, it will help a bunch.[/QUOTE]

Nerd rage wore off, went back and golded the entire event.:lol

Need car recommendations for the GT World Championship. My criteria:

- the speed of a Veyron, or at least faster than the highest level of competition
- the great handling of something like a Gallardo
- the cost should be under a million

Shaneus

PjotrStroganov said:
As in any GT. So don't hold your breath for the next GT.:/
Oh shit, that's how the other ones worked? Crikey.

PetriP-TNT said:
But do don't have to use a Furai. You could check out the typical opponents and choose your car accordingly. It's not optimal but there is the option.

And I love the overtaking challenges in licenses but again, I do like bosses that have patterns and shit :lol
Yeah, but... I guess it's about working within restrictions. Getting a car and tweaking it for a specific race. Lightweights only, compacts only... that's the right idea because there's only so much you can do with them. That's why I'm enjoying the seasonal events... it relies on skill and not the most powerful car.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Need car recommendations for the GT World Championship. My criteria:

- the speed of a Veyron, or at least faster than the highest level of competition
- the great handling of something like a Gallardo
- the cost should be under a million

You could:

- Buy the Audi R8 5.2 FSI QUATTRO and tune it
- Buy the Nissan GT-R Vspec and tune it
- Buy the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and race modify it
- Buy the Dodge Viper SRT ACR and tune it

-viper-

Banned
Shaneus said:

Yeah, but... I guess it's about working within restrictions. Getting a car and tweaking it for a specific race. Lightweights only, compacts only... that's the right idea because there's only so much you can do with them. That's why I'm enjoying the seasonal events... it relies on skill and not the most powerful car.
Well at least the extreme events all match your car in terms of power. The ai uses group c or le man prototypes in these events.

I agree the regulations should generally be tighter. They need to introduce HP limits in A spec events much like how there were in GT2.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
You could:

- Buy the Audi R8 5.2 FSI QUATTRO and tune it
- Buy the Nissan GT-R Vspec and tune it
- Buy the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and race modify it
- Buy the Dodge Viper SRT ACR and tune it

Awesome, thanks.

offshore

Shaneus said:
Is this your first GT?

Those sort of problems have existed since the beginning, and have been the same in pretty much every subsequent version. I don't know what it's got to take for PD (or maybe Sony) to act. Although maybe the fact GT5 is stuck on 84 at Metacritic will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and we finally get the much-needed revolution next time out. GT the game has gone far too stale and predictable.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Is the Gillet Vertigo Race Car a good one for the Like The Wind events? I've had trouble beating them with the Furai. On paper, the Vertigo sounds like a best, but I thought I'd ask here before I dropped 2,000,000 credits on it.

Rivers

Banned
Captain Pants said:
Is the Gillet Vertigo Race Car a good one for the Like The Wind events? I've had trouble beating them with the Furai. On paper, the Vertigo sounds like a best, but I thought I'd ask here before I dropped 2,000,000 credits on it.

the ZR1 RM is more than enough for that series.:D

AdvanS13

Neo Member
GodofWine said:
I'm struggling with both...3rd place in the 'stang, but a mile back....Rx-7 got 2nd, but I lost by 20 seconds?? really?

I swear there is a glitch in this, in the time back, at first it said 14 secs...then the next check point said 31 sec..then 41 sec...then I started to eat into the lead, got to 4 place, saw 3 cars in front of me...passed them all on the last turn, only said 2nd...something weird going on in that race.
you lapped em ;).....i thought that too. only thing i could think of on the time discrepancy is when they hit the long straight..no idea. i got within 2seconds of 1st earlier this morning, too tired to try anymore.

Shaneus

offshore said:
Is this your first GT?

Those sort of problems have existed since the beginning, and have been the same in pretty much every subsequent version. I don't know what it's got to take for PD (or maybe Sony) to act. Although maybe the fact GT5 is stuck on 84 at Metacritic will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and we finally get the much-needed revolution next time out. GT the game has gone far too stale and predictable.
It's the first one I've really owned or gotten into, yeah. I've played a few in the past but as I've never had any PS (1 or 2) in a permanent setup (borrowed from time to time) I've never gotten into it.

It's a pretty big flaw, really surprised it hasn't been addressed (and glad I'm not alone on this, especially as a relative newcomer to the series).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Captain Pants said:
Its not. Ive tried. :(

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finally saved enough spare cash to buy the ford gt spec 2 test car. Great for high speed corners but hard to control in lower gears. At least now I can grind the american indy in a premium car lol

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Rivers said:
the ZR1 RM is more than enough for that series.:D

Any tips for tuning? I have to brake or downshift on the corners and all of the other cars seem to be able to maintain speed. I got my ass handed to me.

Rivers said:
dammit I should have checked here. Just did a trade you available same tomorrow night :lol

Of course, no problem man. Btw I'm on GT Planet but I've only just joined so my posts aren't coming up there. I'll follow your thread there too.

Top Bottom