• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
offshore said:
If it was a choice between having to level up to enter events or having a certain license, then I'd take the mandatory license route every time.

This levelling up design is fucking stupid, and it had better be gone by GT6.
Leveling up is fantastic. Don't listen to this man PD.

I got 4th in the NASCAR challenge the other day. Max Aero settings, but this time around, I can't get past 6th. GAH!!! Wtf. I even put on Skid Recovery Force to see if that helped me... not really, got to 5th. Wtf am I doing wrong D=.

These challenges are completely imbalanced PD. Fix this shit.

-viper-

Banned
mrklaw said:
Who uses power steering, and who doesn't? On the one hand, modern normal cars have power steering, but race cars don't really, do they?
Almost all cars have power steering.

Also, without power steering, the wheel moves very slowly. Especially during S bends. I was watching Clarkson drift with the SLS on Top Gear and the wheel snapped back instantly. It just seems to move too slowly with the DFGT.

offshore said:
If it was a choice between having to level up to enter events or having a certain license, then I'd take the mandatory license route every time.

This levelling up design is fucking stupid, and it had better be gone by GT6.

Yeah, I don't like the leveling system either. Seems it's only there to artificially lengthen the game. It doesn't bother me too much as the only races I can't enter at this point are the endurance ones, and I also have no desire to play those....unless they give us the ability to save races in progress at some point.

Anthropic

dwebo said:
Force an otherwise normal person to gold IC-10 and in two hours you will have a mass murderer.

edit (after another 25 tries):
- AI that behaves exactly the same each race? Check.
- AI that can't take any corners at a decent speed? Check.
- AI that will gladly ram into you? Fucking Miura check.
- 40fps whenever there are multiple cars in front of you? Check.
- Challenges designed around skid recovery force? Mandatory check.
- Exaggerated drafting effect? Check.
- Disqualifications for collisions? Check.
- Difficulty tuned by a monkey? Check.

It's like they designed some of these overtaking challenges to specifically highlight every major flaw.

IC-10 is where I gave up on the license tests. I've never even gotten bronze it's so frustrating. I'm incredibly thankful that you don't need to pass the license tests in order to proceed in the game.

I already have the IA license (though not all in gold, I won't sacrifice my sanity for a trophy and some cars), is there any point in trying to get the S license (besides the cars)?
I remember that the new license message would mention that I can enter new races or something, but I have yet to see a race hat actually requires a certain license.

TTG

Pizza Luigi said:
So how does one do the Mustang event? I managed 7th on my first try :lol

Not really, here is how I went through it:

Mini - gold, no assists
Focus - silver without assist, gold with
Mustang - gold, no assists
RX-7 - silver without assist, gold with
NASCAR - gold, no assists

Just make sure you tune the cars well. There's a lot of money rewarded, so not much sense in being cheap about it. I think I generally buy everything other than the fully adjustable stuff the first go around.

brentech

Anthropic said:
IC-10 is where I gave up on the license tests. I've never even gotten bronze it's so frustrating. I'm incredibly thankful that you don't need to pass the license tests in order to proceed in the game.
IC-10 is definitely tough, and frustrating at times, but for some reason I enjoyed improving and finally beating it. I felt like a million dollars.

I got stuck on a few events in the IB licenses though, and decided to stop holding off my license progression and just complete them all. I'll probably go back to getting my golds after I finish the extreme series completely though.
I'm sure I'll probably want to rip my hair out at times, but I like the glorification when it all comes together.

Anthropic said:

I stopped at IC-10 as well. Was getting too frustrated with being DQ'd even when it was the AI that ran into me! One day I will do it but it crossed past the challenging fun point and just ended up being plain aggravating.

f0rk

Is there a good guide anywhere about what cars to buy and how/when to upgrade? I have no idea how I should go about clearing these car specific A-Spec events and don't what to waste any money on shit.

-viper-

Banned
f0rk said:
Is there a good guide anywhere about what cars to buy and how/when to upgrade? I have no idea how I should go about clearing these car specific A-Spec events and don't what to waste any money on shit.
the only guide you need is the entry requirements of each event.

when you go on an event, click on the garage icon on the bottom left. if you don't see any cars, then you need to buy one specific for that event.

e.g. click on the MR event and it should only list the available MR cars you have for the race. if it lists none, then you have to buy one.

offshore

f0rk said:
GT's upgrade system is simple. Buy a car and stick a turbo on it.

Job done.

Niks

Theres an audi R8 LMS (team playstation) race car in my used car dealer going for 5 million!!

Its cool and all but is it worth all that cash??

f0rk

-viper- said:

when you go on an event, click on the garage icon on the bottom left. if you don't see any cars, then you need to buy one specific for that event.

e.g. click on the MR event and it should only list the available MR cars you have for the race. if it lists none, then you have to buy one.

Yeah, I just naturally want to do it as optimally as possible. I guess I'll just say fuck it and buy whatever fits.

Niks said:
Theres an audi R8 LMS (team playstation) race car in my used car dealer going for 5 million!!

Its cool and all but is it worth all that cash??

I loved that thing on my PSP, it was the same as the non-branded R8 though so it's probably not better than a premium version.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
-viper- said:

You have to be careful what you buy though... because there are cars on that list that have no chance of winning... isn't there a button to look at the typical opponents you face in a race? Pretty sure there is... and I think that's a better way to pick your cars, because at least then you can see about what horsepower you'll need to compete. Not all of us are gearheads and know that stuff without looking it up. I'm envious of you guys who are though.

-viper-

Banned
recklessmind said:
You have to be careful what you buy though... because there are cars on that list that have no chance of winning... isn't there a button to look at the typical opponents you face in a race? Pretty sure there is... and I think that's a better way to pick your cars, because at least then you can see about what horsepower you'll need to compete. Not all of us are gearheads and know that stuff without looking it up. I'm envious of you guys who are though.
That is what I pretty much do. Check the list where it lists the cars in the race. Buy one (or upgrade your car) with 100hp more and you should win the race.

offshore

-viper- said:
That is what I pretty much do. Check the list where it lists the cars in the race. Buy one with 100hp more and you should win the race.
And thus pointing out the (continued) huge flaw in GT's race system.

Why are they they putting cars with 100bhp more in some race events, and more to the point why do they still allow you to tune your car to insane bhp's and let you enter? Makes zero sense. No wonder 90% of A-Spec is a breeze to do.

Now, if A-Spec races were as challenging as the online challenges are - and make them sans assists, then A-Spec would be much more engaging and challenging. In fact, I'd probably rather have A-Spec in GT6 be a load of challenges, rather than the rehashed tripe they've served up in GT5.

cilonen

CrankyJay said:
Just got the game last night. I suck at even the license stuff. =(

You need 13.300 in the very first breaking one to get a Gold and the closest I can get is 13.307 =(

It's easier once you realise it's a 0-60-0 test. Jam the throttle flat until the very instant you hit 60mph, then straight hard onto the brakes until stop. Should gold it within a couple of tries.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any way to disable the rear view mirror, by the way? Has a massive impact on framerate. Game is much smoother when using roof view for this very reason. I dont much care for roof view, however.

Anyone know how much money it takes to get the Multi-Millionaire trophy?
dark10x said:
Any way to disable the rear view mirror, by the way? Has a massive impact on framerate. Game is much smoother when using roof view for this very reason. I dont much care for roof view, however.

You can't.

offshore said:
And thus pointing out the (continued) huge flaw in GT's race system.

Why are they they putting cars with 100bhp more in some race events, and more to the point why do they still allow you to tune your car to insane bhp's and let you enter? Makes zero sense. No wonder 90% of A-Spec is a breeze to do.

I've never understood why A-spec wasn't a three tiered system. One with events for purely stock cars only. One for tuned cars. And one for race and race modified cars.

CSSer said:
10 million
Jesus...

*sigh*

Time to grind even more!

jockamo said:
A Livery Editor would be sweet.

I'd rather have a lot of performance and UI updates. I'm not talking about dumbing down the graphics for a better running game either.. I mean legitimate performance updates.

offshore

Spectral Glider said:
I've never understood why A-spec wasn't a three tiered system. One with events for purely stock cars only. One for tuned cars. And one for race and race modified cars.
Yeah, exactly. Couple it with much better AI and opponent selection, it would make the game more challenging and feel more rewarding, rather than realising your car's too slow, sticking a turbo on it and then winning. I just don't know what's got to happen for PD to realise they're so far behind the times, game-wise.

When you're still using events you were using ten years ago, it signifies you've got massive problems.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
h3ro said:
Yet.

Hopefully they keep updating the game and adding features that we request.
Yes, it would be great. It's a simple option and turning it off would massively improve the framerate.

I mean, the bumper cam with rear view may display constant tearing and slow, but then you switch to the roof cam and, bam, a perfect 60 fps (at least most of the time). It's so much smoother.

Bumper cam without rear view should be butter smooth. I would also like a hood cam.

Ford Focus Event - DONE!
I managed a 1.41.xxx lap which seemed to help, but fuck me it was close. Won by 1.4s in the end and it was a real nail biter. My setup:

Manual Transmission
Traction: 4
Skid Recovery: ON
ABS: 1

Cat conversion to take to BHP limit
Custom transmission with 118 limit
Height Adjustable suspension, lowered by -6f and -5r, spring rate was raised slightly (can't remember exact amount).

I would of never done it without Skid Recovery though, I am just not good enough to pull in 1.41, 1.42 lap times without it.

Mustang next..

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
expy said:
I'm too busy racing too even be in the menus.... :lol

Be fair... before the patch we probably spent more time in menus than racing. There's still quite a lot of menu time required to advance in A-spec.

anddo0

Dear PD, don't EVER attempt to do a rally mode again.. Talk about sucking the fun out of a game. Who the hell came up with the idea of randomly generated tracks? Some of these tracks are too technical for the pros.

And then you throw in a useless navigator, brain dead snow driving AI (only thing that makes snow races winnable). Worst mode in the game period.

Greg

anddo0 said:
Dear PD, don't EVER attempt to do a rally mode again.. Talk about sucking the fun out of a game. Who the hell came up with the idea of randomly generated tracks? Some of these tracks are too technical for the pros.

And then you throw in a useless navigator, brain dead snow driving AI (only thing that makes snow races winnable). Worst mode in the game period.
It's one of the highlights of the game for me.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got my 2nd 1000-ticket today, has this happend to anyone else? I got it when i had like 210 wins and i have driven a lot more than 2000km.

EDIT: Or maybe you get one for B-Spec too? If you have won 100 B-Spec races or driven more than 2000km in B-Spec?

test_account said:
I got my 2nd 1000-ticket today, has this happend to anyone else? I got it when i had like 210 wins and i have driven a lot more than 2000km.

EDIT: Or maybe you get one for B-Spec too? If you have won 100 B-Spec races or driven more than 2000km in B-Spec?

I didn't get anything from b-spec. In another news, I am just about to get the German Autobahn Lenght trophy!

anddo0

Greg said:
It's one of the highlights of the game for me.
ChryZ said:
I also enjoyed the Rally stuff.

To each his own. I just think it's poorly designed, you can't even quit after a stage, you have to wait through two loading screens (the next race, and then the actual quit load screen). It's beyond frustrating, not to mention this mode has some of the worst loading overall.

Gravel Master is giving me fits. It's beatable, if I get a group of tracks I can actually race.

offshore

Off to do that NASCAR challenge in a bit. See what all the fuss is about. Decided to buy Montoya's car after the power in my Hamlin one just refused to diminish.

offshore said:
Off to do that NASCAR challenge in a bit. See what all the fuss is about. Decided to buy Montoya's car after the power in my Hamlin one just refused to diminish.

I put my B-spec driving it, 1 championship and one race later it was at 849 BHP :lol

cilonen

test_account said:

I got a second too, much later on in the game than the first. No idea why.

phosphor112 said:
I got 4th in the NASCAR challenge the other day. Max Aero settings, but this time around, I can't get past 6th. GAH!!! Wtf. I even put on Skid Recovery Force to see if that helped me... not really, got to 5th. Wtf am I doing wrong D=.

These challenges are completely imbalanced PD. Fix this shit.
you're in for barrels of fun when you unlock the Vettel challenges.:lol

Top Bottom