• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

offshore

Hmm...maybe PD need to set some aid restrictions for the next batch of online events. Put Skid Recovery on, and I just got gold and silver on the RX and Dodge challenges; a few days ago I was going backwards at an alarming rate of knots in those events.

Oh well, all money is welcome and is going towards an Enzo :D

-viper-

Banned
offshore said:
Hmm...maybe PD need to set some aid restrictions for the next batch of online events. Put Skid Recovery on, and I just got gold and silver on the RX and Dodge challenges; a few days ago I was going backwards at an alarming rate of knots in those events.

Maybe you're meant to use skid recovery for the events? :\

-viper-

Banned
keyrat said:
Is it strange that I set mine to 10? The wheel is supposed to spin. Have you ever got in a car and pushed the accelerator without holding the wheel? It's going to turn on its own, even moreso without power steering (as is the norm in race cars). Hold it tight and get used to it; that's what driving is all about. Your arms are supposed to get tired in the more challenging cars and races. Try the Citroen rally car on a dirt track for a really tough experience.
I've been changing the FF setting from values between 5 and 10 and I notice very little difference. I've just stuck it on 5 for now, since that is the default value.

Melfice7

-viper- said:
Maybe you're meant to use skid recovery for the events? :\

I was having alot of trouble with the focus event couldnt get 1st no matter how well i nailed every corner.. always at least 5s behind the first..

Turned on skid recovery.. passed the 1st guy with more than a lap to go :\ these arent balanced PD fix this shit

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I love having no hud... but it's becoming a pain in the butt when I have to use standard cars.

I need the gauges for standard cars because there isn't a cockpit... and that requires going all the way back to the top menu to change the options. Back and forth between standards and premiums.

PD has made a lot of ground keeping important things accessible, but they still bury so much shit under menus and loadtimes. :lol

:/

avaya

I know realise the horror that is the Historic Race car cup in B-spec at Monaco.

Jesus, on my 2nd attempt my driver took first on the last lap from the run from Beau Rivage into Massinet but clips the armco at Anthony Noghès and bins it 150m before the start finish straight. Furious. He is such a mong.

recklessmind said:
I love having no hud... but it's becoming a pain in the butt when I have to use standard cars.

I need the gauges for standard cars because there isn't a cockpit... and that requires going all the way back to the top menu to change the options. Back and forth between standards and premiums.

PD has made a lot of ground keeping important things accessible, but they still bury so much shit under menus and loadtimes. :lol

:/
I'm fairly certain you can toggle the HUD if you pause a race and go to driving options.

keyrat said:
Is it strange that I set mine to 10?

no, what wheel do you use?

i'm forced to have mine on 3 because the wheel (g25) gets very hot and smells like it's burning if its any higher.

the high temp and smell only occur when playing gt5.

dwebo

Melfice7 said:
I was having alot of trouble with the focus event couldnt get 1st no matter how well i nailed every corner.. always at least 5s behind the first..

Turned on skid recovery.. passed the 1st guy with more than a lap to go :\ these arent balanced PD fix this shit
Goddamn. Did you change any weird settings?

I can't get past 7-8 sec behind even with skid recovery on. I'm not quite sure where I can make up 2 seconds a lap either. :-/

captscience said:
I'm fairly certain you can toggle the HUD if you pause a race and go to driving options.
Conveniently located on the other side of retry, annoyingly. I'm going to accidentally gas it one of these days, probably near the end of an endurance race.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
no, what wheel do you use?

i'm forced to have mine on 3 because the wheel (g25) gets very hot and smells like it's burning if its any higher.

the high temp and smell only occur when playing gt5.

oO There might be something wrong with your wheel. That never happened to mine (set to default, which I guess it's 5)

I absolutely suck at the Focus ST special event. :lol

I have a 23 second gap with the car in front, which has a jet engine I think. Can I tune anything about my Ford? I'm driving it entirely stock now, trying to get around the douchebag block/fishtailing AI.

Pizza Luigi said:

I have a 23 second gap with the car in front, which has a jet engine I think. Can I tune anything about my Ford? I'm driving it entirely stock now, trying to get around the douchebag block/fishtailing AI.

You can't do it stock and you can't do it without skid recovery force.

Goldrusher

Pizza Luigi said:

Stock won't do.

vtQCd.jpg

Here's what I had:

(gt auto) rear wing: 17
exhaust: catalytic converter sports
custom transmission: 200 kph
clutch twin-plate, flywheel semi-racing

No other tuning. But most important is clean driving. And avoid understeer in the many roundabout-like turns.

Thank you so much. I already was wondering why I had such an enormous gap and you guys didn't. Skid Recovery as off as well. I'm gonna try again with these settings after the Mustang event. Something I need to know about that one as well?

bleh these online events reveal how much I suck.

First Bonus Races:
2th /2th /1th /5th /3th

Second Bonus Races:
1th /3th /3th /7th /9th

Did most of them about three times (not counting restarts) and I guess I still can get better in some of them, but I don't want to train them anymore. They still got me lots of money and exp, but I think now it would be more efficient to continue in A spec (lv23) etc. instead of wasting time to gold the online ones, especially as you don't get cars and they don't count for the game's completion (and will disappear anyway).
I wonder if we'll get new ones next week, they make me buy random (premium) cars :)

X-Frame

AlphaSnake said:
I prefer the R8 by far. It's simply much lighter and much tighter. It feels borderline like a Formula 1 car once you've done all of the upgrades. It's utterly sensational.

Did you tune your R8 at all (i.e. suspension, drivetrain, etc)? Because I don't think I've seen an R8 tune on GTPlanet and I wouldn't really trust myself to tune my R8 without basing it on someone else's tune first.

Can you post yours?

-viper- said:
Why don't you just leave the FF at 4 or 5 and enable Power Steering?

Also, fight the wheel. :p

I remember how I had no fucking idea what to do when the wheel began spinning (when I first bought it) but you need to fight back and keep a hold of it. Eventually, you'll get used to it.

Oh ok. He said he didn't find any options to change the value of the FF last night so obviously he didn't look hard enough. Where is it exactly before he starts crying? Lol.

dwebo

Stupid Alfa Brera doesn't show the correct date on the dashboard screen. Game sucks.

Pizza Luigi said:
So how does one do the Mustang event? I managed 7th on my first try :lol
Keep in mind you can cut across the corkscrew if you're really hurting for time. :lol

Melfice7 said:
I think i only lowered the car and changed the top speed to 200km/h
Gah I never notice much difference when I mess around with the suspension but I guess I'll give that a whirl.

I need help GAF:

How in fuck's name am I meant to win the Formula GT championship?

My FGT is slower in acceleration, on straights and round corners with massive problems in maintaining traction in slow sections. The AI on the other hand is having a ball at my expense. I really don't consider myself to be bad a t this game at all but this is just fucking ridiculous.

I've even tried putting on active steering and skid recovery force but they don't seem to help much either.

offshore said:

But come on man, half the fun is skidding around in the RX! I've got .3 seconds behind first in the RX bonus race 1 with no skid recovery. I will get first, oh yes I will.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I need help GAF:

How in fuck's name am I meant to win the Formula GT championship?

My FGT is slower in acceleration, on straights and round corners with massive problems in maintaining traction in slow sections. The AI on the other hand is having a ball at my expense. I really don't consider myself to be bad a t this game at all but this is just fucking ridiculous.

I've even tried putting on active steering and skid recovery force but they don't seem to help much either.

This Really Helped me.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142091

-viper-

Banned
X-Frame said:
Did you tune your R8 at all (i.e. suspension, drivetrain, etc)? Because I don't think I've seen an R8 tune on GTPlanet and I wouldn't really trust myself to tune my R8 without basing it on someone else's tune first.

Can you post yours?

Oh ok. He said he didn't find any options to change the value of the FF last night so obviously he didn't look hard enough. Where is it exactly before he starts crying? Lol.
options > wheel settings.

-viper-

Banned
im stuck on level 23. how do i gain level 24? D:

i'm doing like the wind on indy and it's barely moving the bar.

we need 'seasonal' B spec events.

h3ro

Which race were you guys grinding that was putting out 117,000 credits? I'm doing the Like the Wind Bspec races right now and its giving out 84,000Cr. Looks like the credit boost is over if I'm in the right race.

h3ro said:
Which race were you guys grinding that was putting out 117,000 credits? I'm doing the Like the Wind Bspec races right now and its giving out 84,000Cr. Looks like the credit boost is over if I'm in the right race.

Yeah, the boost is over I think.

-viper-

Banned
h3ro said:
American Championship @ Indy.

dwebo

Force an otherwise normal person to gold IC-10 and in two hours you will have a mass murderer.

edit (after another 25 tries):
- AI that behaves exactly the same each race? Check.
- AI that can't take any corners at a decent speed? Check.
- AI that will gladly ram into you? Fucking Miura check.
- 40fps whenever there are multiple cars in front of you? Check.
- Challenges designed around skid recovery force? Mandatory check.
- Exaggerated drafting effect? Check.
- Disqualifications for collisions? Check.
- Difficulty tuned by a monkey? Check.

It's like they designed some of these overtaking challenges to specifically highlight every major flaw.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Who uses power steering, and who doesn't? On the one hand, modern normal cars have power steering, but race cars don't really, do they?

dwebo

mrklaw said:
Who uses power steering, and who doesn't? On the one hand, modern normal cars have power steering, but race cars don't really, do they?
I don't, only because it feels like too huge of a FFB change whenever it decides to turn on.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just got the game last night. I suck at even the license stuff. =(

You need 13.300 in the very first breaking one to get a Gold and the closest I can get is 13.307 =(

keyrat said:
Is it strange that I set mine to 10? The wheel is supposed to spin. Have you ever got in a car and pushed the accelerator without holding the wheel? It's going to turn on its own, even moreso without power steering (as is the norm in race cars). Hold it tight and get used to it; that's what driving is all about. Your arms are supposed to get tired in the more challenging cars and races. Try the Citroen rally car on a dirt track for a really tough experience.

He probably means he deadzone that PD failed to fix. It jerks back and forth when hitting high speeds. It's frustrating actually. Allow for adjustable deadzones PD!!

dwebo said:
Force an otherwise normal person to gold IC-10 and in two hours you will have a mass murderer.

edit (after another 25 tries):
- AI that behaves exactly the same each race? Check.
- AI that can't take any corners at a decent speed? Check.
- AI that will gladly ram into you? Fucking Miura check.
- 40fps whenever there are multiple cars in front of you? Check.
- Challenges designed around skid recovery force? Mandatory check.
- Exaggerated drafting effect? Check.
- Disqualifications for collisions? Check.
- Difficulty tuned by a monkey? Check.

It's like they designed some of these overtaking challenges to specifically highlight every major flaw.

One of the best things they could have done was not make the license tests mandatory. I hate those things with a burning passion of a million suns and have no desire to try and gold any of them.

mrklaw said:

power steering is for old ladies :D . no but seriously, power steering was invented for huge heavy cars and trucks. sports cars don't have power steering for the most part.

offshore

Spectral Glider said:
One of the best things they could have done was not make the license tests mandatory. I hate those things with a burning passion of a million suns and have no desire to try and gold any of them.
If it was a choice between having to level up to enter events or having a certain license, then I'd take the mandatory license route every time.

This levelling up design is fucking stupid, and it had better be gone by GT6.

Top Bottom