• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Shaneus

MiniBossBattle said:
Now gimme more XP for B-Spec AND save states for B-Spec Championships.
If it's any consolation, I've noticed that with B-spec, once you are able to do the Dream Cup it gets REALLY easy to get B-spec XP. Around 14,000 for 15mins @ Daytona (using the FGT) then when you unlock 25, you can drop the Minolta in the first enduro, getting you 70,000XP. It's not quite as efficient as the Dream Cup time-wise, but being able to set and forget for two hours to almost completely level up to 26 is pretty sweet.

Just as well that I have the Kinect to play with while XP grinding in the enduro races :lol

Sorry for the hijack!

NeoGAF GT5 Racing League Thread

Ok guys, I've decided not to wait any longer, the NeoGAF GT5 Racing League will start soon. It looks like we won't have members to fill out all teams but we'll have to make do with what we have and hopefully get some replacements if the grid isn't full.

There's still time to register though, so if you still want in just use this registration form:
NRL Registration Form

Remember, this is not a big commitment. You race if want/can. If you can't that is not a problem. It's all just good fun so please, join up.

We'll have to arrange the remaining teams and everyone needs to register a car.

I've made a spreadsheet that shows everyone (that doesn't have a team yet), and their available times for race, as well as my suggested times for the races (not final, we'll change if people need it to change). Please choose decide amongst yourselves the teams and team members based on that. It would be wise to have a group of 2 members from different time zones (2 near GMT and 2 near PST for example) , it makes it easier for everyone to race.

Spreadsheet
(If you need to change anything about your available times let me know and I'll change it)

The OP has links for each registered member profile, so you can PM them there to organize the teams.

Let me know through PM after you've arranged a team. I'll need to know the Team Name, members, and who will be the captain, and what cars they'll be using.

Individual members that don't have a team yet but already chosen a car can also PM me the car.

I'm going to PM all registered members to notify them about this. Let's get this league started!

Anybody's formula GT bugged? Mines won't get it's engine restored at all. I pumped in over a mill trying to repair the engine yet it does completely nothing to restore the BHP.

Shaneus

I don't think engine rebuilts restore bhp... just reduce the impact races have on requiring oil changes. In other words, an old engine would require an oil change every race to prevent loss of horsepower whereas a fresh one would last a while. At least, that's my understanding.

wud

Neo Member
AlphaSnake said:
I have a spare Minolta now. Interested for the 7?

Nah I've got 2 Minoltas now, only really interested in the 787b, Nissan GT1 Road Car, R9P2 or whatever they're called Nissan Race cars etc

That's the thing. I change oil after every championship/endurance. What's good with Engine rebuild when it doesn't restore back the bhp lost from wear and tear?

brentech

Crakatak187 said:
That's the thing. I change oil after every championship/endurance. What's good with Engine rebuild when it doesn't restore back the bhp lost from wear and tear?
Mine's always gone back to 936bhp. I have over 14,000km on my FGT - which has gone through 2 engine rebuilds. When it drops from that 936 peak, usually when it gets around 910 even after an oil change...I rebuild it.

Shaneus

Crakatak187 said:
Mines doesn't. It's stuck and going down even with rebuild.
That's weird... sounds like a bug. It should be back up to ~940bhp after a rebuild and oil change (assuming you've done all the upgrades... I don't think there were any engine ones, though).

Yeah I don't want to spend 5 mill on another one. I spend a total of 1.5 million on the repairs that did squat.

Btw anybody have cars that show like 1 hp less in the garage list then it actually is?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Crakatak187 said:
Yeah I don't want to spend 5 mill on another one. I spend a total of 1.5 million on the repairs that did squat.

Btw anybody have cars that show like 1 hp less in the garage list then it actually is?

I could send you a Formula GT tomorrow, and you could sell the broken one. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Last resort, last beggin since I haven't gotten anybody to gift me a car And if this one fails there's no point in keeping it up ;P
I'll trade a pretty cool Dead Rising 2 avatar code for any 4mil+ car which isn't on the prize list besides the RBX1 which it'd obviously be ok hehe, any car thar is awesome to drive, premium but that CAN be used in A-spec (dunno, super Gt cars, rally, Le Mans endurance protoypes... Anything that is good and beautiful!) really, whatever you want is fine.
Just to to drive something I wouldn't have the chance to win myself otherwise :D.

PM me if you want the avatar code.

Finished my first Indy 500 Endurance race. I finished 1st with a 10 lap lead on 2nd place. My finish time was somewhere around the 2hrs 30m mark, and had to pit every 28 laps. I used the lovely Toyota Minolta.

At one point I was day dreaming and suddely the car slid off the track very aggressively and spun and spun. The rear right tyre has gone completley, it was crazy. I had to limp to the pits like Lightning McQueen in Cars desperately trying to get to the finish line!

Also once I accidentally put Racing Hards on the back and Racing Softs on the front because I was too click happy with the pit menu. It wasn't bad really.

I tried a few tyre combinations and I think Racing Softs are the best because you get better lap times (I was getting 39s compared to 41s with Hards) and they generally wear at the same rate anyway.

I had a similar experience. I drove without the Hud so I didn't know the tire was worn out. Spun out and lost my 3 lap lead at the start. When pitting I got fishtailed backwards into the pit making me have to do a whole lap with worn tires plus the long wait getting out of the pit lane after getting in backwards thanks to the Jackass A.I

True that's when I tested out the difference between racing hard and soft. Both decreased near the same mark when I was out of fuel.

Shaneus

Just finished the first endurance with the Minolta, decided for my second grind I'd give the FGT a crack. The very first lap (from standing start) he beat the best lap in the Minolta by over 10 seconds. I'm guessing the FGT is best for all enduros it's specced for! TAKE NOTE!

This blows. All I have left is 9 hour and two 24 hour races in Aspec. and two 24 hour races in B spec. The effort put forth in A spec is not worth any of the rewards other than the eventual Platinum of this game. I have the Seasonal events to look forward too but those are a single nights worth of entertainment at best. Especially now that PD did the brilliant job of lifting all restrictions making it pointless and easy. How the fuck did they not just make it so new car + oil and break in was accounted for and leave it at that? The restrictions were fine, we just didn't want to buy new cars for ones we already owned.

PD is incompetent. This is what I have concluded. People say, "oh it is a Japanese thing" or "they like grinding over there" but that is bullshit. So many things in this game and past games show they simply don't know what they are doing and have coded themselves into a corner many GT's ago.

No saving mid endurance, no FF, RWD in replays, awful AI? All part of the same problem. Their engine needs things to have the data directly inputed and run linearly. It can't save because they have no room left in their processing to figure out what to do with the freeze frame and how to resume it. I would be willing to bet that they did have saves in endurance races (Kaz fucking said there would be) but it was just a shit show of a buggy mess where you would resume and be Lap 1 or your car would probably never tally laps after two saves. The replays are victim of the same system. You can't rewind because it isn't a recording of the race, it is just a recording all the input data. To rewind would have to recalculate all of that in reverse and their system can't handle it. They have no clue how resolve these massive design issues because they have been tweaking the same broken system since GT2. AI, same thing, watch your B-Spec driver, it is a wonderful window into the god awful AI system in this game. To achieve a set speed, the driver doesn't behave naturally, they are actually going on gas and brake 20 times a second to hit the single arbitrary speed designated for that corner on that car.

None of these things will be patched or fixed in this GT or the next. It is a combination of them not knowing how, an archaic engine design and general "we don't give a fuck". Now if you excuse me I have to go check on my 9 hour B-Spec endurance. Last I checked he was 219 laps ahead of second place and just about to complete lap 690. Weeeeeeeeeeeee how fun! Good thing I put my PS3 through this for that amazing prize car
Amuse A2000 (S)!!!!
Fuck you Kaz you piece of shit. How about forgoing your ice drifting racing to fix your broke ass game/s.

Don't even get me started on the online system. Welcome to 1999.

Shaneus

Oh, you're at the same place I've been for a while. Hi!

It's an excellent driving model wrapped in a shit game. The die-hards seem to happily accept that (and more power to them) but I don't. Other games have been around for shorter amounts of time and evolved in greater leaps than the GT series has.

I think it's the stubbornness that's holding them back, TBH.

Ugh, while I'm typing this my B-spec driver (in an FGT) is sitting behind a Mazda 6 going around a corner because he just can't fucking overtake while going around a corner. At all.

I made the decision last week that I wont be doing endurance in A-Spec. If I could save mid race, sure... I'd work my way through it over time. But not a chance in hell I'm just sitting there through hours of that crap / leaving my PS3 on in pause mode.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dash Kappei said:
Last resort, last beggin since I haven't gotten anybody to gift me a car And if this one fails there's no point in keeping it up ;P
I'll trade a pretty cool Dead Rising 2 avatar code for any 4mil+ car which isn't on the prize list besides the RBX1 which it'd obviously be ok hehe, any car thar is awesome to drive, premium but that CAN be used in A-spec (dunno, super Gt cars, rally, Le Mans endurance protoypes... Anything that is good and beautiful!) really, whatever you want is fine.
Just to to drive something I wouldn't have the chance to win myself otherwise :D.

PM me if you want the avatar code.
Don't have a car of that caliber to gift, but you can get one yourself fairly straight forward, here's how:

* make enough money for a Corvette ZR1 (184,800 at the dealrship)
* race-mod it (either 280K or 380K, don't remember)

voila, you now have an easily GT2-class, more like a GT1-class car, that can stand against any of the racers in the 800K-1M price tier. Now, if you really want one of those racers, the simplest way to make enough for one while you're still at a low XP level, is to beat the final event in the professional series - do the championship version, that would give you 130K from golding the individual rounds, plus 130K as a final prize for golding the championship. So, at 260K a run, you can afford a purebred racer after about 4 runs, which is ~30-45 min of play time.

Alternatively, you can do the Bonus Race #3 from the Online Seasonal Events, for lots and lots of free cash - start with the first round - takes a Prius, and gives enough cash for buying the car for the next round, and so on - last one gives 1.5M in tax-free cash.

ps: if you want I can gift you a California'08, tag price of 236K, ~70K worth when pawned.

Oh yeah forgot to mention. SSD install went well. The improved load times are nice. Not sure if most people want to drop 200$+ to reduce load times but I had some xmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I do play this game a shit load. I will get some side by side comparisons with a 7200RPM regular HDD next time I LAN with my buddy.

gutterboy44 said:
This blows. All I have left is 9 hour and two 24 hour races in Aspec. and two 24 hour races in B spec. The effort put forth in A spec is not worth any of the rewards other than the eventual Platinum of this game. I have the Seasonal events to look forward too but those are a single nights worth of entertainment at best. Especially now that PD did the brilliant job of lifting all restrictions making it pointless and easy. How the fuck did they not just make it so new car + oil and break in was accounted for and leave it at that? The restrictions were fine, we just didn't want to buy new cars for ones we already owned.

PD is incompetent. This is what I have concluded. People say, "oh it is a Japanese thing" or "they like grinding over there" but that is bullshit. So many things in this game and past games show they simply don't know what they are doing and have coded themselves into a corner many GT's ago.

No saving mid endurance, no FF, RWD in replays, awful AI? All part of the same problem. Their engine needs things to have the data directly inputed and run linearly. It can't save because they have no room left in their processing to figure out what to do with the freeze frame and how to resume it. I would be willing to bet that they did have saves in endurance races (Kaz fucking said there would be) but it was just a shit show of a buggy mess where you would resume and be Lap 1 or your car would probably never tally laps after two saves. The replays are victim of the same system. You can't rewind because it isn't a recording of the race, it is just a recording all the input data. To rewind would have to recalculate all of that in reverse and their system can't handle it. They have no clue how resolve these massive design issues because they have been tweaking the same broken system since GT2. AI, same thing, watch your B-Spec driver, it is a wonderful window into the god awful AI system in this game. To achieve a set speed, the driver doesn't behave naturally, they are actually going on gas and brake 20 times a second to hit the single arbitrary speed designated for that corner on that car.

None of these things will be patched or fixed in this GT or the next. It is a combination of them not knowing how, an archaic engine design and general "we don't give a fuck". Now if you excuse me I have to go check on my 9 hour B-Spec endurance. Last I checked he was 219 laps ahead of second place and just about to complete lap 690. Weeeeeeeeeeeee how fun! Good thing I put my PS3 through this for that amazing prize car
Amuse A2000 (S)!!!!
Fuck you Kaz you piece of shit. How about forgoing your ice drifting racing to fix your broke ass game/s.

Don't even get me started on the online system. Welcome to 1999.

That´s the bad, the ugly, and then on instances like the SuperGT race we did on saturday, the game shows how great it can be.

As i´ve said before, once the grinding is over (i still have only 350 cars) we will enjoy the game much more.

Grinding over = having all cars and free to time trial/race with friends.

Having tried to join random races online I have realized that I need to buy all of the parts and tires for all of my cars basically. It is a shame that buying all the parts and tires for each car is a 20 minute process :(

Firewire

Banned
Anyone have any tuning recommendations for the seasonal Nascar race event on the Ring. I can't get the car to play nice with the track at all, can't catch higher than 6th place.

Firewire said:
Anyone have any tuning recommendations for the seasonal Nascar race event on the Ring. I can't get the car to play nice with the track at all, can't catch higher than 6th place.

Set the downforce to maximum on front and rear of the car, that really helped me out massively. And hold on tight!

gutterboy44 said:
Having tried to join random races online I have realized that I need to buy all of the parts and tires for all of my cars basically. It is a shame that buying all the parts and tires for each car is a 20 minute process :(

You should be able to buy them from the car setup menu too. One click, done.

Sigh, PD, sigh.

brentech

Without testing it myself I can't give a concrete answer, but the general idea of gearing for the 'ring is that while you want to be able to get a good speed on that final straight -- it's not worth sacrificing having great acceleration throughout the rest of the course, since it's so technical.
If the car handles well and is light weight, that's less of a problem, but I'd imagine in that car you're going to need the better acceleration.

Had to look up what it comes in at standard - since the one I have is Chromeline version. Mine's geared at 310km, I'm guessing something around 260-280km would be fairly appropriate.
I could be wrong, but I feel like you actually want to redline in final gear on the last straight, otherwise you're giving up too much acceleration on the rest of the course.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wait what, they removed restrictions from seasonal events?

I have been out for a few days and after the grueling first set of events, I set the second set aside for when my arms recover. I read on here they were even harder, so I was metally preparing myself.

So I can now go back in and they should be easier? When is their deadline?

Firewire said:
Thanx guys, I'll give it a go!

Also, I dropped the gearing right down too. I think my NASCAR topped out at 210mph which was only a slight issue for the main straight, but it really helped with acceleration out of the many, many corners of the 'Ring.

Melfice7

gutterboy44 said:

Its a bit faster buying several parts at the same time and then just change car and go to the items menu instead of changing car and going to tunning shop everytime

brentech

Melfice7 said:
Its a bit faster buying several parts at the same time and then just change car and go to the items menu instead of changing car and going to tunning shop everytime
That's actually pretty smart. And I wouldn't have to listen to that tuning shop music as often. Might have to just buy an assload of parts next time I go in there. I generally don't do weight reductions or 'engine tune' since they can't be undone.

Seriously never even thought about that idea.....<3

AndyD

aka andydumi
brentech said:
That's actually pretty smart. And I wouldn't have to listen to that tuning shop music as often. Might have to just buy an assload of parts next time I go in there. I generally don't do weight reductions or 'engine tune' since they can't be undone.

Seriously never even thought about that idea.....<3

I keep a stack of tires bought and waiting for whenever I need them on a new car.

Also, I tend to keep two version of cars, one stock with only removeable parts, one fully tuned including the oil change trick and weight reductions...

mclaren777

I'm bummed that this thread has slowed down so much since being moved to the Community sub-forum. :(

Oh well. At least PD made it really easy to buy one of these. My recipe for success: send 11 cars to secondary account, win the 11 corresponding Seasonal Event races to get to level 24, buy Formula GT, send it back to the primary account.

DipDm.jpg

brentech

AndyD said:
Also, I tend to keep two version of cars, one stock with only removeable parts, one fully tuned including the oil change trick and weight reductions...
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing in the future. For now I just buy 1 (other than a few duplicates I have) and have only done permanent mods to about 5 of my 242 cars.
But yeah, totally have to start keeping a shit of of my often used parts on hand. I'm sitting on over 14mil CR since I've also been using my wife's PSN account to do seasonal events and send myself a nice car each day, lol.

Firewire

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Also, I dropped the gearing right down too. I think my NASCAR topped out at 210mph which was only a slight issue for the main straight, but it really helped with acceleration out of the many, many corners of the 'Ring.

Already had mine set to about 217, I think. Need to try out the down force recommendation tonight. Just want to clear out that last race of the seasonal event before I start focusing on the TT events.

brunoa76

mclaren777 said:
I'm bummed that this thread has slowed down so much since being moved to the Community sub-forum. :(

Oh well. At least PD made it really easy to buy one of these. My recipe for success: send 11 cars to secondary account, win the 11 corresponding Seasonal Event races to get to level 24, buy Formula GT, send it back to the primary account.

DipDm.jpg

It just takes 12 days that way, in the mean time you can buy it for free in one day if you have 5 millions on your primary account (should be the case if you've done the 11 events).

mclaren777

I have five PSN accounts on my PS3 and I've been gifting>winning>gifting since the Seasonal Events first started. It's a great way to earn money for cars and it doesn't take very much time. I even made a document to help me keep track of which races each account has done and where the car currently is in case I can't complete the full cycle that day (all five profiles and then re-gift to primary at the end).

You guys are welcome to use it if you'd like...
www.maximum-attack.com/gt5bonusraces.doc

pi0Ue.png

Just don't buy anything, or very little, until you get to $20.000.000, then afterwards just backup your save everytime you want to buy an expensive car.

- Back up the save
- Buy car
- Gift it to a second account
- Restore save
- Gift the car back to you

mclaren777

I'm far too paranoid about having some kind of issue with my save file after investing 100+ in GT5 already. I see the logic behind your suggestion but I'm unwilling to take that risk. Plus, I think the Seasonable Events are the best races in the entire game, especially if you operate under the assumption that the restrictions are still in place.

Top Bottom