• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

cilonen

hultrain said:
Ahh, now I feel like an idiot. But what kind of automaker would have grains of wheat as their logo....

a French automaker, I guess/

No worries, it's a really bizarre choice of logo :)

brentech

Was practicing with my SuperGT in my private lobby and it didn't seem to have any effect on the distance put onto my car. Thought anything online was adding up? Anyone else notice this?

brentech said:
Was practicing with my SuperGT in my private lobby and it didn't seem to have any effect on the distance put onto my car. Thought anything online was adding up? Anyone else notice this?

Did you try leaving the lounge and check if it updated then?

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
Did you try leaving the lounge and check if it updated then?
Yeah, pretty sure it didn't move. All I did was free run practice, but I'll have to check it again.
edit: Just tested again with going into private lounge and then free running. Ran a lap and the ring and still had same exact KM on the odometer. Will try putting it into a a race and finish it and check.

double edit: In my 'start race' test, it still didn't up my odometer in my own private lounge after going back into gtlife and checking.

-viper-

Banned
I've been out of the loop - they've released 2 new events. Haha. Bonus event 4 was very fun. Too bad it took me years to buy the cars :/

I played the Nurburgring without the HUD. Looked photorealistic. Was pretty fucking hard though especially since I didn't know what gear or speed I was at!

Antagon

Got the game yesterday. Driving feels great, though the nascar challenges are ridiculously hard with a gamepad. Seems to need a lot of precision in steering, guessing a wheel helps a lot there.

First time that I'm challenging myself with a racing game as well. In earlier GTs I tend to use an automatic gearbox and win races by using overpowered cars, now I've switched to manual, turned off instruments (only use whats visible in cockpit view) and use cars that are similar in power to the other cars. It's all tons of fun.

Mush

blu said:
Man, I had forgotten what hedonistic pleasure DTM cars are. Driving the Alfa in particular is like making love to the tarmac - car and road are one.
I've always wanted to know what those badly done circle textures on the back bumper are. They're not exhausts I hope lol.

brentech

Before I joined up with in Ufra's public SuperGT practice my car had 99km on it. Did about 10 laps of free run and then two 5 lap races with them before I left, but none of that added on to my odometer for the car when returned to GTLife.

It seems they changed back to no wear on the car when online? Not sure if it's a permanent thing or what, but as soon as I drove it around Daytona offline in practice mode, my odometer was up when I checked again.
All in all it is a good thing, but I was just bummed caused I'd driven quite a while today trying to break the car in, but all online. At least I got some seat time with the car though.

Dead Man

Antagon said:
Got the game yesterday. Driving feels great, though the nascar challenges are ridiculously hard with a gamepad. Seems to need a lot of precision in steering, guessing a wheel helps a lot there.

First time that I'm challenging myself with a racing game as well. In earlier GTs I tend to use an automatic gearbox and win races by using overpowered cars, now I've switched to manual, turned off instruments (only use whats visible in cockpit view) and use cars that are similar in power to the other cars. It's all tons of fun.
The NASCAR challenges become much easier if you turn off the traction control and ABS. To do that you need to remap the controls so you can access the quick change menu during an event.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mush said:
I've always wanted to know what those badly done circle textures on the back bumper are. They're not exhausts I hope lol.
No, the actual exhausts are underneath those. Those are thermal insulation pads, so the exhausts would not set the rear bumper on fire. In the game they are burnt in roughly circular shapes. Here's how those pads look when clean.

Pachimari

Just got Gran Turismo 5 but it seems like my driving wheel is broken, maybe it's not a good idea leaving it outside in the cold. =(

Any good starter car?

Antagon

Anastacio said:
Just got Gran Turismo 5 but it seems like my driving wheel is broken, maybe it's not a good idea leaving it outside in the cold. =(

Any good starter car?

Go do some cart challenges for money, then get a nissan silvia spec-r aero. It's only 25k, premium and fast enough to win the FR challenge with a bit of practice. Clubman cup is doable with the car you get from the bronze license.

Just been trying the elise challenge. Did they connect the throttle and brake to the handbrake or something? Damn cars are undriveable.

TTG

Got a 2.16.9x on Suzuka in X1 challenge, last track left. Just need to string 2 laps together, another day and I might have it. Spent about a week now on just the X1 challenge, it's not easy with a pad... went back to try a seasonal event in a touring car and it felt like an unresponsive POS :D

Pachimari

Thanks for the advice Antagon, I'll look into doing just that.

How do I activate head tracking? It doesn't seem to respond to my head turning in Arcade mode.

blu

Anastacio said:

Any good starter car?
If you're willing to take yet another advice re starter cars:

Civic type R qualifies for, and can easily win, about half of the events from both beginner and amateur series, particularly with the RM. A potent little FF bugger, that type R.

elohel

so ive been stuck for a while on the later races in the game, they're pretty difficult

am i supposed to be more focused on turning off steer assists than trying to get a faster car than the AI?

The NeoGAF Racing League is hosting a practice server atm but anyone here is free to join.

PRACTICE
p7ASB.png

Autumn Ring
Length: 1.83mi/2950m Longest Straight: 0.26mi/425m Elevation Change: 98.4ft/30.0m Corners: 17

Starting time
Live now!

How to join:
Add the PS3 account "GT5NRL" to your friends list and join the private lounge.

Restrictions:
Under 414BHP
Over 1100Kg
No RM/LM cars
Tunned cars allowed​

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And back to community's ghetto. *siiigh*

Need to try Dead Man's tweaks for SuperGT. Should do that...

Chris R

So what is up with race 5 seasonal event 5? I can't find any of those cars in a dealership... Please don't tell me I have to win an event or something to unlock them :(

cilonen

rhfb said:
So what is up with race 5 seasonal event 5? I can't find any of those cars in a dealership... Please don't tell me I have to win an event or something to unlock them :(

Lexus IS-F Racing Concept is in the Lexus dealership; the online collectors dealership is full of DTM cars at the moment, but they're pretty expensive. The Racing Lexus is probably the cheapest option at 750k.

NHale

rhfb said:

DTM race, right? You can buy a Lexus IS F Racing Concept 08 in the dealership.

Chris R

Missed the Lexus I guess. Yay.

Would have preferred an Audi or BMW but whatever.

I'm not really digging how easy these races are compared to the first seasons. Sure I could use fewer tweaks, but I'm not going to spend 5 hours on each race to find out what the minimum tweaks needed for victory are. Driving that FIAT 500 around Tsukuba, tweaked to the limits according to the rules, was probably the best event yet, because it took me hours to get first, but it never felt cheap or too hard. I just had to crank out the perfect lap after lap and nail it for first.

They should just provide a car with all the racing modifications done, let us tweak the transmission/suspension/ect if we want. That way the challenge will be there from the get go without making ME provide it :|

offshore

rhfb said:
They should just provide a car with all the racing modifications done, let us tweak the transmission/suspension/ect if we want. That way the challenge will be there from the get go without making ME provide it :|
Each seasonal event needs two races IMO. One where you can mod your car and win easily if you want, and a second where the car is prepared for you i.e. it goes back to its stock setting, and you can't alter anything, but you win more XP and credits.

So in effect you'd get ten races. And then maybe if you complete all ten you get a car as a prize.

EDIT: Scratch that last bit. If you do an event in stock, you win the XP and credits from the modded race as well, so you wouldn't have to do the mod race if you've already done the stock version.

X-Frame

Damn GT5 is so damn slow navigating through the menu and proceeding through the seemingly endless confirmation notifications.

It really shouldn't take me so long to buy a couple cars, give them an oil change and throw on mods. Feels like it was a half an hour before I was even racing the newest Seasonals.

Why does the game need to alert me that the purchase has been complete? No shit .. I hit the button myself. How many people buy a part but DON'T install it? I have never NOT installed a part I just bought .. as installing it afterwards is another dumb routine by PD by going through a general Item section .. it's easier to just install it then un-check them in Tuning.

And how after 2 months of release does it sometimes still take 20-30 seconds to transition between menu screens, like going from GT Auto back to the main menu?

It makes it hard for me to want to play knowing I am going to be sitting around more instead of racing.

Shaneus

^^ I've found it can go even slower when you have fuck all network bandwidth. If I'm downloading a heap on my PC, navigating through menus seems like it takes twice as long as usual. Make sure you have plenty of bandwidth or have disabled the internet from the PS3 and you should be fine.

TTG

The nightmare is over! Finally finished all of Vettel torture challenge, got bronze. Not going back for silvers any time soon, especially not on Suzuka. Not without a wheel at least. Time to take the Schwimmerwagen out for a victory lap.

EDIT: Thought I'd go into some detail, I'm way too pleased with myself not to write up a post. :D

Autodromo Nazionale Monza:

ltv05mp07pz41zfv6a0.jpg

By far the easiest track, did it first. Only a few corners, not much to fuck up. Was a full second under the bronze time within two hours. Once you can anticipate what the car will do, you've got it.

Nurburgring GP/F:

zy2u6ltvlhn4qwdwkg0.jpg

This one was second and took a couple of play sessions. Narrow track points out clearly that with the X1 it's just commit and go with it, no room to adjust mid corner or even during whole sections. Also requires a much more precision in quick direction changes. It was tough, but not too bad over all. Came in almost a second under bronze when I finally got it, one corner made the difference. Speaking of which, you learn that corners preceding straights are VERY important.

Suzuka Circuit:

lyfzag7lajwlaqjar0.jpg

Took me almost a week and when I finally got it, I was only a couple of tenths under bronze. Not only that, I was within a half second about a dozen times too. Long track, lot's of sections where you're just in a bad position and all goes to shit. Being consistent is hard, mantaining the right line is hard... it's all hard. Thank God it's over.

Over all, bless anyone who tries to gold these with a pad. 2 out of 3 may be possible, I don't see getting even a silver on Suzuka. The video that plays and the car are nice though, you even get a trophy for getting bronze.

blu

brentech said:
Before I joined up with in Ufra's public SuperGT practice my car had 99km on it. Did about 10 laps of free run and then two 5 lap races with them before I left, but none of that added on to my odometer for the car when returned to GTLife.

It seems they changed back to no wear on the car when online? Not sure if it's a permanent thing or what, but as soon as I drove it around Daytona offline in practice mode, my odometer was up when I checked again.
All in all it is a good thing, but I was just bummed caused I'd driven quite a while today trying to break the car in, but all online. At least I got some seat time with the car though.
Having your post in mind, I checked the state of my JZA80 after the SuperGT round last night. I was really surprised my engine needed another overhaul, after I had just given it one before the race. It would have been normal for the engine to be in such state if the online sim took full wear into consideration. So I went on and checked my odometer. Difference from last time I noted it (i.e. when you asked me) was 248km. All I had done in the Supra during that time was 10 Fuji and 10 R246 laps, plus the GVS SuperGT round. Which altogether can account for the 248km dial-up. So yeah, distance travelled and wear and tear were both applied in my case from online last night. I guess the mystery thickens.

How did you guys win the fifth race of the fifth season's cup? I bought a used DTM Audi 2002, but the leading dude is gone by over 10 seconds. What's your setup?

I also bought a Pagani Zonda for the Like the Wind cup. What's your setup there?

TTG

Patrick Bateman said:
How did you guys win the fifth race of the fifth season's cup? I bought a used DTM Audi 2002, but the leading dude is gone by over 10 seconds. What's your setup?

Since there are no restrictions anymore, I've worked out a plan for upgrades. The first couple of those(when did it start, 3rd update?) I kept overshooting the mark, making the races too easy. So what I do now is only buy tires and only upgrade by 1 or 2 grades within the same class(so comfort, sport and race). I used the Lexus and soft race tires should have you ahead before lap 8 rolls around, the Audi is actually a better car so results should be similar. It's actually worked out well so far. 1 step up makes things competitive, 2 gets an easy win.

blu

Patrick Bateman said:
Bought Alfa 155 2.5 V6 "Formula1-in-a-box" DTM racer. Changed its oil. Took car to the Seasonal race. Won.

ps: you can cheat a bit there - the last chicane before the right-hander at the beginning of start-finish stretch is, erm, susceptible to cutting.

TheSeks

blu said:
ps: you can cheat a bit there - the last chicane before the right-hander at the beginning of start-finish stretch is, erm, susceptible to cutting.

That's what I did with a suped up 1.5 million Super Touring Car version of the 1.4 car in the last slot of the online dealership.

Yeah, that didn't give me much money... except I duped the car after supeing it up. MWHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU KAZ AND YOUR NERFED MONEY/EXP. >:|

rhfb said:
I'm not really digging how easy these races are compared to the first seasons. Sure I could use fewer tweaks, but I'm not going to spend 5 hours on each race to find out what the minimum tweaks needed for victory are.

All I've done for seasonal's 4 and 5 is buy the car, change oil and buy racing tires and I've won them first shot out with extreme ease. I'm guessing the best challenge would be to just race stock with no changes at all. Haven't done the Schwimmwagon yet, that looks like it may need some tweaks to get the horsepower up.

Patrick Bateman said:

I used the same black Lexus I used for the cup. Easy win. Plus that shortcut is super fun to do, wroom!

Patrick Bateman said:
I used the '00 Merc with soft racing tyres / rigidity upgrade and utterly destroyed it (I was messing around with the first place car for the last three laps, trying to crash it etc). Merc is so stupidly good. Was a little harder with my Abt Audi but still not too bad.

Related to this... I did the last two sets of seasonal races and the kart events on my missus's account. Now have something like 3.5m credits, a bunch of carts and level 23 on A-Spec.

Crazy how much you get from them.

TheSeks

Spectral Glider said:
All I've done for seasonal's 4 and 5 is buy the car, change oil and buy racing tires and I've won them first shot out with extreme ease. I'm guessing the best challenge would be to just race stock with no changes at all. Haven't done the Schwimmwagon yet, that looks like it may need some tweaks to get the horsepower up.

The Nazi Boat wants a custom transmission at most. You do want to be careful braking in it, though.

-viper-

Banned
Just use the Lexus IS F Racing Concept for the DTM race and you should win fairly comfortably. I made quite a few mistakes and still came first.

Dibbz

How do I get the GT-R Official Record Trophy? I got like a 7'12.00 or something and still haven't got the trophy. I used the GT-R 07 not tuned, just soft tyres on the Nordschleife sunny version in Practice. Do I have to do it in arcade or something?

brentech

Dibbz said:
How do I get the GT-R Official Record Trophy? I got like a 7'12.00 or something and still haven't got the trophy. I used the GT-R 07 not tuned, just soft tyres on the Nordschleife sunny version in Practice. Do I have to do it in arcade or something?
Yea, says it in the trophy details. Must be done in arcade time trial mode using the arcade garaged version of the car. Using 'sports hard' or less tire.
Took me a bit, but finally beat it with a 7.28.xx

jey_16

Banned
ok, i'm really struggling with the VW army jeep (what ever its called) seasonal event.....every time i brake, the thing just veers off to the left or right and then it takes forever to get back to a decent speed

i have reduced the weight, stage 1 engine upgrade, high range turbo kit, fully customizable transmission (to increase max speed) and sport soft tyres

what am i missing here?

brentech

jey_16 said:
ok, i'm really struggling with the VW army jeep (what ever its called) seasonal event.....every time i brake, the thing just veers off to the left or right and then it takes forever to get back to a decent speed

i have reduced the weight, stage 1 engine upgrade, high range turbo kit, fully customizable transmission (to increase max speed) and sport soft tyres

what am i missing here?
In terms of tuning, you've got more than necessary, just don't drive it like a mad man and you should in 1st by the end of the 4th lap. I did far less than that, also on sports soft, and had no issues.

Top Bottom