• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

offshore said:
Not sure if I agree about all cars being unlocked in Arcade mode from the start. I've never had a problem with a selection of cars being available; I think if you make all cars available in Arcade you just negate the reason to do GT Mode.

What does annoy me though is that you can't load your garage into Arcade, and can only have 100 favourites. I mean...that's...that's just so dumb it's not even funny. That and the fact that cars aren't put behind a manufacturer, so you just get a row a mile long of cars.

Speaking of arcade mode....correct me if wrong, but in the earlier GT games, like 1 and 2, wasn't there some sort of progression to the arcade mode? I seem to remember there being C, B and A car classes and you had to actually do some form of progression until you completed the mode. Nothing earth shattering, but at least it was a nice diversion. Now, it's just "here's the tracks and some cars and do whatever." It's just so lazy. It's almost like this game had no project head or coordinator.

offshore

Yeah, there was something like that...that may have been GT1. I'd have to dig out the disc to refresh my memory. But certainly in previous games there have only been a few tracks unlocked from the start, and more became available when you did...something...in GT Mode.

And that's a touch which would be nice for the future, which is if they're going to lock some tracks that's fine, but at least tell the player how they become unlocked. I can well imagine some players having done the Top Gear challenges but wondering why the Test Track hasn't been unlocked, because they haven't got gold in the Samba race.

Shaneus

h3ro said:
I think they'll get rid of them eventually, I just hope I still care about the game by then.
I've realised that I don't really care about it now. Spurred on by someone's efforts here, I did the Indy 500 A-spec. Holy hell that was a chore... though funny to see how the pit crew changes the tyres on the X1 with those metal coverplate thingys.

Oh, and the AI is really, REALLY bad in this mode. Even running into someone -100kph slower (did it deliberately several times) does not make them budge from their racing line.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
I've realised that I don't really care about it now. Spurred on by someone's efforts here, I did the Indy 500 A-spec. Holy hell that was a chore... though funny to see how the pit crew changes the tyres on the X1 with those metal coverplate thingys.

Oh, and the AI is really, REALLY bad in this mode. Even running into someone -100kph slower (did it deliberately several times) does not make them budge from their racing line.
Yeah, the only thing keeping me playing is the GAF leagues.

Mush

Dead Man said:
Yeah, the only thing keeping me playing is the GAF leagues.
There is so much truth to this post it's not even funny. So many things need to be overhauled, adjusted, removed, added, etc, etc. PD needs a community manager who's first language is English and needs to be active and be able to understand the Western audience.

Like, yesterday.

DonMigs85

I tried re-gifting myself a car from my HK account, which I haven't accessed in several days and it's telling me I've reached the daily limit. WTF? Do they measure it per console instead of per user now?

Den_John

DonMigs85 said:
I tried re-gifting myself a car from my HK account, which I haven't accessed in several days and it's telling me I've reached the daily limit. WTF? Do they measure it per console instead of per user now?

Yup, I think so.

brentech

DonMigs85 said:
Yea. It's per console ID and IP now. So you have a 1 car limit.

Audioboxer

I'm sure PD will come up with a more efficient trading system in time, but right now I'm happy the glitching/duping has been hammered down on.

offshore

I'm sure PD will come up with a more efficient trading system in time
Agree
but right now I'm happy the glitching/duping has been hammered down on.
Disagree

The time to hammer down on duping was from the very start. This is like trying to shut the gate after the horse has bolted, won the Grand National and has already been presented with the trophy.

Duping doesn't hurt anybody, and if anything, people are making friends by trading and duping cars with one another. If the credit situation wasn't so fucked up, I might agree that duping should be stopped, but it isn't.

This game just wasn't playtested at all, and between seasonals that pay a load of cash, restrictions on gifting that are subsequently lifted, frequent XP and credit changes...hopefully someone at PD and Sony is getting the message that the balance of this game is completely and utterly fucked up.

h3ro

I'm sure PD will come up with a more efficient trading system in time, but right now I'm happy the glitching/duping has been hammered down on.
Why?

If you want to "earn" and buy every car in the game or carry out a trade for a rare car, then you can still do so. It's not stopping anyone from playing the game in their own fashion but it allows others to do so in theirs.

I'm still dumbfounded by 1.07.

Dead Man

h3ro said:
Why?

If you want to "earn" and buy every car in the game or carry out a trade for a rare car, then you can still do so. It's not stopping anyone from playing the game in their own fashion but it allows others to do so in theirs.

I'm still dumbfounded by 1.07.
Exactly. PD internally I think has the conflict from a camp that want old school Japanese game play, one route, grinding etc, and another that want to open it to allow more freedom.

Angst

There will be some changes to the league and everyone in the league needs to vote for the changes. If you're not in the league and would like to join it, please post in the thread.

NRL Steward said:
I need that everyone participating on this league, fill out this quick form to decided on what will happen before the next race starts. Teams will be reduced to 6 and members reshuffled. I will announce the final teams really soon.
NeoGAF GT5 Racing League - Spec II Revision form

I gotta admitt that while I like the driving line, it doesn't teach me the course at all.

So now I vow to never use a driving line again unless it's a user created track online.

I actually feel guilty when using the line in GT Mode because I know that...it's not teaching me anything. Feels like a crutch or a gimmick.

UFRA

Dead Man said:
Asking again. Why?

I'm curious as well.

With the lame amount of grinding necessary for high priced cars, we need glitches like that to keep our sanity.

It was also nice how the Gaffer in a Reasonably Priced Car Top Gear challenge would give the winner a car of any value. Now the reward cars are limited. :(

The whole reason I loved those rewards is because I could acquire cars I would never want to grind for (Ferrari F1's, etc.). Anyone with like an hour of free time can build up 1,000,000 credits thanks to the American Series. But 10,000,000? 20,000,000? I don't have the patience to do that at 98,000 at a time...

Dead Man said:
Asking again. Why?

OP isn't allowed to have a personal preference on the matter? You'll argue duping doesn't hurt anyone, I know.

I understand OP's view though. Example: Busting my balls for hours over days at the SebVet challenges for the Golds, unlocking the Carbon X2010, what should have been the most exclusive version of GT5's 'god car' - only to find there's a trading thread on GT Planet where everyone and their dog are getting it for free and for no level of accomplishment at all. It takes away the exclusivity of owning such a car.

Personally I don't really care about duping to kick up a fuss, but that said, I do believe award cars should have been locked from trade from the beginning.

GT may be different to you, you may just want to own every car or get the trophy for 1000 cars and shelve the title or whatever, but to those who have followed the series and have always set out to gain what they've earned based on their skill level, it's not in the spirit of how the game was meant to be played.

Again, you'll argue that, but it's a personal opinion. Maybe the 'spirit' of GT has changed, who knows.

Of course, you could also be sitting on 100% completion and you're happy with everyone trading the cars you've worked so hard for. That's good for you too, but obviously others don't see it the same way.

Thing is... there's only one car that's hard to get. I do agree that one shouldn't have been trade-able though.

Everything else though? If you can buy it, you should be able to trade it. What's the point in even having a trading system otherwise?

Mush

Why oh why do you need to have GT5 running to do a remote race? I can understand having to have your PS3 on, but it kinda takes away the point. I understand it might useful for people away from home, etc, but it's not for me.

Mush said:
Why oh why do you need to have GT5 running to do a remote race? I can understand having to have your PS3 on, but it kinda takes away the point. I understand it might useful for people away from home, etc, but it's not for me.
B-Spec in general needs a massive overhaul.

Should be able to 'simulate' a race on GT servers or something without having to leave your PS3 on for 24 hours to do later Enduros for example.

Or even better, a system like MGS: Peace Walker or Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, where you could choose your drivers, choose the event and send them off to do the race. It'd be simulated in the background, the driver's wouldn't be available for a 24 hour period (or whatever), and at least you wouldn't have to tax hardware just to gain progress.

Chris R

Too broke to buy the Ferrari F1 cars for that special event, can't find the Subaru to buy for that special event...

Do more cars show up in the dealership if I finish more events and get more licenses or something? Just threw away 500k on a Subaru I thought would work for the event (IT WAS AN IMPREZA!!! :( )

rhfb said:
Too broke to buy the Ferrari F1 cars for that special event, can't find the Subaru to buy for that special event...

Do more cars show up in the dealership if I finish more events and get more licenses or something? Just threw away 500k on a Subaru I thought would work for the event (IT WAS AN IMPREZA!!! :( )

Add me as friend bro :D (same psn id as gaf username). I have all the cars needed for the seasonal events, including the F2007 :)

Share feature finally has its usage :lol

Dead Man

-Deadpool- said:
OP isn't allowed to have a personal preference on the matter? You'll argue duping doesn't hurt anyone, I know.

I understand OP's view though. Example: Busting my balls for hours over days at the SebVet challenges for the Golds, unlocking the Carbon X2010, what should have been the most exclusive version of GT5's 'god car' - only to find there's a trading thread on GT Planet where everyone and their dog are getting it for free and for no level of accomplishment at all. It takes away the exclusivity of owning such a car.

Personally I don't really care about duping to kick up a fuss, but that said, I do believe award cars should have been locked from trade from the beginning.

GT may be different to you, you may just want to own every car or get the trophy for 1000 cars and shelve the title or whatever, but to those who have followed the series and have always set out to gain what they've earned based on their skill level, it's not in the spirit of how the game was meant to be played.

Again, you'll argue that, but it's a personal opinion. Maybe the 'spirit' of GT has changed, who knows.

Of course, you could also be sitting on 100% completion and you're happy with everyone trading the cars you've worked so hard for. That's good for you too, but obviously others don't see it the same way.
I am happy with people trading cars I have worked for, and I don't have or want any version of the x2010 except the one I got at level 35. And yes, Audioboxer is allowed to have his opinion, I'm asking why he has it. Why he has an opinion that wants to remove a way that so many people enjoy playing the game, that does him no objective harm at all. I understand the argument about 'taking away exclusiveness', but I have never thought that was a reasonable argument to take away a feature that so much of the community enjoys. If they were interfering with other peoples games or griefing, of course that needs to be patched. But when the game progression design is a badly done as POD have managed here, it becomes almost impossible for me to consider people duping cars to be glitchers.

The amount of rare cars that cost way too much in the UCD also contributes to people duping, since they don't have 14million on the rare occasions when the car they want comes up. GT5 is a broken game with a beautiful heart. But it is broken, and people should not feel bad for working around its flaws.

Chaps and Chapesses, hit level 35 B-Spec last night so am in constant 24hr Le Mans mode now until I hit level 40, which means no more remote racing from me for a week or so.

Does anyone know how many XP you get for Le Mans 24 hr in B-Spec now (post 1.06)? Trying to work out how long the "final straight" to 40 is...?

ichinisan said:
Chaps and Chapesses, hit level 35 B-Spec last night so am in constant 24hr Le Mans mode now until I hit level 40, which means no more remote racing from me for a week or so.

Does anyone know how many XP you get for Le Mans 24 hr in B-Spec now (post 1.06)? Trying to work out how long the "final straight" to 40 is...?

I actually just finished a Le Mans 24 hr in B-spec, but didn't make too much of a note of the XP. It was ~2.8 million from memory.

-Deadpool- said:
I actually just finished a Le Mans 24 hr in B-spec, but didn't make too much of a note of the XP. It was ~2.8 million from memory.

Ah OK. So it's looking like 8 1/2 Le Mans for level 40. Which will be next Wednesday. The Larry Lynch and Eh Oh can rest...

DonMigs85

ichinisan said:
Ah OK. So it's looking like 8 1/2 Le Mans for level 40. Which will be next Wednesday. The Larry Lynch and Eh Oh can rest...
A toast to your PS3. Let's hope she can endure over 8 24-hour sessions!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how rear-ending a driver who is notoriously slow in a Top Gear event of all things gets you disqualified.

These Top Gear events all suck. I believe it's because the game was released in the US and, because of that, is not allowed to be entertaining.

offshore

I think I'm in love with the Camaro SS. Look great, and blue dash is really cool <3

If I had the money I'd probably buy one seeing as Chevy are importing them to Europe this year.

...okay, I probably wouldn't buy one even if I had the money. But still, cool car.

ichinisan said:
We wish her well on her quest. Prayers have been said. Sony's CustomerLine number is on speed dial. Save Game is backed up to USB nightly.

Exactly the same boat here. Currently running LeMans 24hr - this one should get me within ~800,000 XP of level 40 - finally. Probably run a 9hr Tsukuba to tip me over 40, then get the N'Ring 24hr out of the way and I'm done with B-spec.

PS3 has done well. Been on since Saturday.

ichinisan said:
We wish her well on her quest. Prayers have been said. Sony's CustomerLine number is on speed dial. Save Game is backed up to USB nightly.
That's what I was doing. I think I had something like 30 solid days without turning the console off.

Psychotext said:
That's what I was doing. I think I had something like 30 solid days without turning the console off.
Dayum! I don't think I'd want to leave mine on that long (60gb fatty). One of the things I don't like about GT5 is how long the PS3 has to run for a lot of the time due to grinding (and long ass endurance races w/ no in-game save). Would be nice if they would up the XP/Cr amounts to help eliminate some of this. 4-hour Roadster Endurance in B-Spec pays 57k Cr, please...

Schmitty

There really should be a save feature for endurance races. How that would work with where exactly were at save point and how to start again I don't know, but it is a much needed feature. I got 15 laps into Laguna Seca and then just quit

Enduro XP is better now, but yeah, CR really needs addressing.

260k for the LeMans 24hr.

You can still earn that in ~15 minutes doing the American Championship Indy.

Schmitty said:
There really should be a save feature for endurance races. How that would work with where exactly were at save point and how to start again I don't know, but it is a much needed feature. I got 15 laps into Laguna Seca and then just quit

I've done the first 6, but the 9 hours of Tsukuba would drive me insane (almost bailed so many times on the 4 hour Tsukuba Roadster one). And 24 hours is just an impossibility. I'd have to leave the PS3 on, paused for at least a week to cover 24 hours of game time - and it's crazy anyway as it would count you out of playing anything else, couldn't join other mates in other games etc..

Don't know why they can't have a save feature in enduros. Come in to pit; Change tyres, add fuel, or save and quit.

Shaneus

Schmitty said:
Pit saving? Would be perfect... no need to remember speed/velocity or track position details for your car (or wear for that matter... because you've pitted), just the positions of the AI and their wear. Oh, and time passed, too. But seriously, can it be that hard?

Edit: Deadpool covered it.

PS. I actually completed the Indy 500 A-spec the other day. The time taken was about 2 hours but I spread that over about 6-7... around 30-40 laps per session, then fucked off to live my life for a bit. Even then I was struggling to finish it. At least the XP was decent.

Shaneus

ichinisan said:
Double post, but that's what my brother had. Had to restore off of USB (was in the process of duping me his L24 prize card) but even though it had backed up and restored okay, firing up GT5 it said his save was corrupted and proceeded to create a new game over the top.

Shit thing is, there's really no way of testing out if a save has worked. It would show up completely normal. If you restore to test and it doesn't work, you're fucked. He was level 40 B-spec, too :(

-Deadpool- said:
I've done the first 6, but the 9 hours of Tsukuba would drive me insane (almost bailed so many times on the 4 hour Tsukuba Roadster one). And 24 hours is just an impossibility. I'd have to leave the PS3 on, paused for at least a week to cover 24 hours of game time - and it's crazy anyway as it would count you out of playing anything else, couldn't join other mates in other games etc..

Don't know why they can't have a save feature in enduros. Come in to pit; Change tyres, add fuel, or save and quit.

And even with that... it´s just not fun.

Sometimes things don´t work on games, even if it´s a simulation of reality.

Those 24hs races just shouldn´t exist. (meaning they shouldn´t be part of the carrear mode, forcing you to race).

It just doesn´t work, and even in real life, there are four drivers to do those distances, guys drive 6hs at best.

I know it´s not the right thing for a hardcore GT player to say, but i just feel like the long endurances are dull and boring. It´s a grind with or without the saves. Nobody would be hurt if they took those out of carrer and just left somewhere hidden in the arcade mode.

I still have three to go and i know it´s gonna be painfull.

brentech

Yea, I too have been sitting on the 9 and 24hr races in aspec for quite a while. Have been waiting for a save feature that doesn't seem to be in the works.

Top Bottom