• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PetriP-TNT said:
Like I said, all the cars should be available in the arcade mode to please the wussy ass gimme-all-now-or-i'll cry "not FREE wtf???" people (nice comeback there, don't you think!)

Or, they could raise the cash limit. 100,000 for 24 hours of Le Mans is fucking stupid. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you man.

The major problem and why most people went the duping route is the grind is INSANE. You can't recoup the investment in a new car in two to five races. It's stupid.

TheSeks

offshore said:
o_O

That's not true...is it? 100k for the 24hr?

Really?

I can tell you it's no where close to 1-5million that it should be for leaving your PS3 on and running for 24 hours because PD can't give you "mid-race saving."

I'm sure Seattle (the one that has done the endurance races) can tell you how fucking dismal they are.

But think this:

20 million/100,000 reward for first place or there about in Like the Wind-Indy = 200 races.

200 races for 1 20million car is INSANE. Buy that car? Now you want another? That'll be another 200 races.

It starts to add up to being an insane and UNFUN grind because you don't recoup the losses quickly to where the grind starts to bother you.

brotkasten said:
Gee, I wonder if they put the standing starts back in A-Spec ...

Yay, they fixed it! Standing starts are back!

Bwahaha, who am I kidding. Seriously, 1.06 kinda ruined the game for me. But hey, I'm probably the only person on this planet who still plays A-Spec anyway.

Toxa said:
so much hate here for nothing

Really?

Anyway, GTP says the >1m has been lifted temporarily. Better get your valuables before the window of opportunity closes again :/

(Still limited to one trade a day per console)

TheSeks said:
Or, they could raise the cash limit. 100,000 for 24 hours of Le Mans is fucking stupid.

You mean raise the cash rewards? I totally agree with that. I just got 55000cr from 2 hour endurance (100000 from Le Mans is a total joke, though), so I know what everyone is feeling. And like I have repeated million times, every car should be unlocked in the Arcade mode, but absolutely not in GTLife.

offshore

PetriP-TNT said:
Can you sell the car you get for millions?
Nope.

I believe I'm right in saying the car with the highest resale value is the F40 for 135,000.

EDIT: No actually I think I"m wrong on that...but certainly the resale value of cars isn't as high as it was in previous games, and now, for reasons known only to Polyphony, half of the cars don't have resale values at all. The 20 mil cars don't, for sure.

Toxa

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Really?

Anyway, GTP says the >1m has been lifted temporarily. Better get your valuables before the window of opportunity closes again :/

(Still limited to one trade a day per console)

really, I got nothing to trade !

distrbnce

Banned
I desperately need more B-spec friends... only class 5, but looking to improve. I only have Floris' 34 and 33 to race against... lol

PSN: Madriiax

Do you HAVE to have racers in your friends list? Why can't you AI it?

And does it not work in Chrome for anyone else?

The fact that there's a trophy for acquiring 1000 cars is probably one of the motivating factors for a lot of people to dupe. Some just want all the cars in the game or the 200 Skylines that are there. There are various reasons but the fact that there is a trophy for it and some people love to platinum the games they play makes obtaining 1000 cars beyond a chore (especially now). The fact that the Cr rewards suck balls and then you toss in the kick in the nuts that 1.07 is, and well, you can see why people are disappointed with it. Given the other flaws in the game you'd think this would've been farther down the list of importance. Grinding should not be a necessity.

offshore said:
I believe I'm right in saying the car with the highest resale value is the F40 for 135,000.

EDIT: No actually I think I"m wrong on that...but certainly the resale value of cars isn't as high as it was in previous games, and now, for reasons known only to Polyphony, half of the cars don't have resale values at all. The 20 mil cars don't, for sure.
That's the premium car with the highest value. There may be a higher value standard car.

I'm so pissed off about this console / IP restriction. It basically means that either I get screwed over by not being able to send anything, or the missus does. What a fucking joke.

ErnieMcCracken said:
The fact that there's a trophy for acquiring 1000 cars is probably one of the motivating factors for a lot of people to dupe.
You could get a 1000 cars very easily without duping. Most of the used cars cost very little, and if you wanted to you could always buy 1000 of the cheapest premium car (5,000) at a total cost of 5m credits. You'd kill yourself before you could pull it off though. The levels of tedium would break most people. :D

But yeah, if you put those 20m credit cars there then people are going to want to have them. That said, the rubber band method and a bit of patience makes money irrelevant. All this really harms is people that want to play GT5 pokemon because a lot of the standard cars are a pig to obtain thanks to the utterly broken used car system.

Zaptruder

Banned
Angst said:
And that's what the game is all about.

Seriously, it bugs me when people say something like "The game sucks (although the driving is wonderful)". What does that even mean? It's a game about driving. And I'm not saying that the game is perfect - long loads, odd decisions, clunky menus etc. And it's fine to complain about that. But when people say that the only thing that's good in a driving game is the driving it makes me go slightly nuts.

It means that it doesn't require good game design to create a good driving simulation, it just requires a high degree of attention to detail with visual, motion aspects of it.

It's great that PD brings the automotive passion to their product. It would be so much better if they hired a decent game designer to help them balance the events and create a better easier to use UI. To best use the assets that they've created, rather than hiding them behind a veil of frustrating arbitrary and not all that fun gameplay design decisions.

G Rom

Seriously, I don't understand PD sometimes. We made one step forward with 1.06 by being able to farm money together and bam ! 1.07 hit and we take two step backward by stopping something that was hurting nobody except sadistic Kaz at PD.

In my next comment, I'll mention Forza and Turn 10 but only because Forza shares the same problem that I'm trying to expose. There's no trolling intended...

When will PD and Turn 10 understand that if I play GT and Forza, it's not to spend 50h racing on the same boring track with the same boring car just to get one car that cost an arm. I play GT and Forza because they both offer a huge selection of cars that I can virtually own, virtually tune and virtually drive. I play GT and Forza to own and drive cars that I have 0.0001% chance to see and even less chance to drive in real life (F50 GT, 250 GTO, etc...), cars which are from another time when pure speed was the only motto (Mazda 787B, etc...), cars from other continents (Dodge Charger, Nissan Silvia S15, etc...) but also cars that I can see almost everyday (Golf GTI, C63 AMG, etc...). I don't play GT and Forza to get the same restrictions that I get in real life (i.e money and accessibility). I want to "own" those cars, tune them my way and more importantly I want to have fun in those cars !
In other words, I play GT and Forza (yeah both, I know it will seem impossible to some) because I love cars so stop the grinding fest already !!

[/rant]

Shaneus

G Rom said:
In other words, I play GT and Forza (yeah both, I know it will seem impossible to some) because I love cars so stop the grinding fest already !!

[/rant]
You don't love cars, liar. You just love taking photos of them ;)

Shaneus

Do it!

In addition to my last note (not that it's really relevant here) but with the exception of showroom photo mode, I really struggle to take fun, exciting and realistic photos in either GT5 *or* Forza. PGR4 it's strangely easy, though. Out of all 3 racers, it's the latter than comes out the most consistently good-looking as far as photo mode goes.

h3ro

So if I understand this correctly... there is a temporary lift on the 1 million Cr trade limit, but the one console per day limit is still in place.

wat.

offshore

h3ro said:
So if I understand this correctly... there is a temporary lift on the 1 million Cr trade limit, but the one console per day limit is still in place.

wat.
Don't try to understand PD's decisions. You'll get nowhere!

WTF!! Just read about this patch. Fuck PD. Fuck Kaz. This is just so god damn dumb. I am going to tell Kaz to fuck off on twitter. Dick.

@Kaz_Yamauchi You're a knob head. Way to take two steps back with 1.07

You guys mad because PD put a stop to an exploit?

Seems like they wanted players who put in the time get rewarded with the cars. Sensible to me, you want to keep people playing and have something to strive for. I always felt GT5 was a slow burner, a game you play for years.

offshore

marathonfool said:
I always felt GT5 was a slow burner, a game you play for years.
This is one of the lightest GT's in a while; no Manufacturer Events, no Event Synthesizer (curiously never seen again since GT2), no Special Missions, A-Spec has less events than GT3/4, so they've tried to pad it with B-Spec events....this is not a game you'll be playing for years.

There just aren't enough events to do, and they don't pay enough money. I duped every car over 2mil, and I'm glad I got in before the door was slammed shut.

gutterboy44 said:
@Kaz_Yamauchi You're a knob head. Way to take two steps back with 1.07

Classy. Though probably not much use if it's not in Japanese ^_^

ashk

marathonfool said:

Seems like they wanted players who put in the time get rewarded with the cars. Sensible to me, you want to keep people playing and have something to strive for. I always felt GT5 was a slow burner, a game you play for years.

They did put an end to duping (at least for expensive cars), but with the same move they massively restricted fair trading. Personally I'm not mad at the duping part, but at the fact that I will have to buy every 1+ mil. car myself if I want to drive it, most likely by endless refreshing of the excellent system that is the used car dealership, without any hope of a trade from someone who might have it. (I won't even mention the 20 mil. cars)

marathonfool said:

That's about how long it's going to take to buy some of the more expensive cars grinding Like The Wind 2000+ times...

I see the seasonal events as an unending A-spec. I feel like I've barely touched the content in this game. There's just so much to do. I've only played online once. I feel like I can pick up GT5 anytime and have fun with it. That's why I said it's a game that can be played for years. I'm sure grinding is not fun, but there's so many cars in the game I like to drive, I'm not fretting about it. Between remote races and seasonal events, I'm sure I'll be able to afford the cars just through playing the game.

Massa

ashk said:
They did put an end to duping (at least for expensive cars), but with the same move they massively restricted fair trading. Personally I'm not mad at the duping part, but at the fact that I will have to buy every 1+ mil. car myself if I want to drive it, most likely by endless refreshing of the excellent system that is the used car dealership, without any hope of a trade from someone who might have it. (I won't even mention the 20 mil. cars)

That's the thing though, they only fixed this exploit now that your friends can share cars with you. It makes a lot more sense than duping.

ashk

Massa said:
That's the thing though, they only fixed this exploit now that your friends can share cars with you. It makes a lot more sense than duping.

The sharing mechanic is nice, but it isn't an adequate replacement for trading. What if no one I know has a car I want? Or if I have no friends? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that sharing is there as a mechanic (now that they've restricted trading), but I would rather have trading and no sharing.

G Rom said:
Seriously, I don't understand PD sometimes. We made one step forward with 1.06 by being able to farm money together and bam ! 1.07 hit and we take two step backward by stopping something that was hurting nobody except sadistic Kaz at PD.

In my next comment, I'll mention Forza and Turn 10 but only because Forza shares the same problem that I'm trying to expose. There's no trolling intended...

When will PD and Turn 10 understand that if I play GT and Forza, it's not to spend 50h racing on the same boring track with the same boring car just to get one car that cost an arm. I play GT and Forza because they both offer a huge selection of cars that I can virtually own, virtually tune and virtually drive. I play GT and Forza to own and drive cars that I have 0.0001% chance to see and even less chance to drive in real life (F50 GT, 250 GTO, etc...), cars which are from another time when pure speed was the only motto (Mazda 787B, etc...), cars from other continents (Dodge Charger, Nissan Silvia S15, etc...) but also cars that I can see almost everyday (Golf GTI, C63 AMG, etc...). I don't play GT and Forza to get the same restrictions that I get in real life (i.e money and accessibility). I want to "own" those cars, tune them my way and more importantly I want to have fun in those cars !

[/rant]

I totally hear what you are saying but does GT5 not have a "free run" type of mode where every car is accessible to race on every track, under any condition?

I realize that isn't exactly what you are talking about but I think its the fairest compromise PD and T10 can implement because like it or not some people do like that grindfest. Personally I'm riding shotgun in your boat, but also realize its not what everyone wants, and honestly I don't know of a better compromise PD and T10 can create.

Qwell

Setting up a remote bspec 2nd account so I can actually run my main account with multiple drivers. If anyone would like to join the fun, please add the following PSN ID

explorer19

TheSeks

PetriP-TNT said:
And like I have repeated million times, every car should be unlocked in the Arcade mode, but absolutely not in GTLife.

And I have no problem with that. I have a problem with the stupid grind in GTLife to get said car unlocks.

55,000 cr for a 24 hour endurance race is INSANE. What the fuck was Kaz smoking when he set the reward limits for A/B-spec races?

I don't mind doing the races for cash. I do, however, MIND THAT IT'S A WASTE OF FUCKING TIME to get the "unicorn"/high valued cars. Again: 200 races of Indy-5 Lap Like the Wind. Insane, and it's not very fun to do the same race over and over and over and over and over just to recoup the losses.

The only people happy with this are the "LEGIT ONLY" butthurt crowd because they want people to sit there for hours to grind cash that is slow to get and takes forever to get. I can understand why they're butthurt ("BAWWW THE X1 IS NO LONGER PRESTIGE!"), but honestly: It isn't hurting anyone that dupes/traded high-value cars among like-minded people. You go online to race, you kinda expect to run into cheaters or people that do things that you may find dishonorable. Oh well, set restrictions on the cars and you shouldn't have a problem.

Anyway, until PD either fixes the cash reward to where it doesn't take forever to get cars in GT Life, or reverses their decision, I'm done. I'm not going to sit for a week at a time to get one car a week on Indy. No. Nope. Not fun.

The way I see it, A/B-spec should be:

Beginner-Up to 25,000 cr
Amateur-Up to 50,000 cr
Intermediate-Up to 75,000 cr
Pro-Up to 150,000 cr
Extreme-Up to 1,000,000 cr
Endurance-starts at 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 (complete a 24 hour of Le Mahns or similar)

That would be proper "game" balance while making people work toward the cars. Sure, it may not take a long fucking time, but everyone would be on even ground and the cry babies wouldn't have problems and casuals/people that wanted to dupe the high value cars to save time could put in the effort and recoup costs at a certain level/time investment.

TheSeks

DonMigs85 said:
One day we should all do an online race in 15HP cars, just for fun.

Been there done that with the Fiat on Daytona. Trying to get up the banks is hilarious and annoying and takes an hour.

avaya

They need to fix the credit situation. The grind is horrendous. Limit the sharing do whatever you want, but the credit situation is indefensible. Have only got Tsukuba 9hr, Le Mans and Nurburgring 24hr left to do in A-spec but can't be bothered since the rewards are so awful.

offshore

Not sure if I agree about all cars being unlocked in Arcade mode from the start. I've never had a problem with a selection of cars being available; I think if you make all cars available in Arcade you just negate the reason to do GT Mode.

What does annoy me though is that you can't load your garage into Arcade, and can only have 100 favourites. I mean...that's...that's just so dumb it's not even funny. That and the fact that cars aren't put behind a manufacturer, so you just get a row a mile long of cars.

demhajq

Banned
The reason for the temporary lift of the trading car limit was so that people who lent their cars could get them back and just use the "Share" function.

So if you're one of those people, get your car back! Just giving a heads up.

offshore

I just saw the GT news feed saying the gift restriction is going back in place on March 3rd. They're really going ahead with it again? Why? I just don't understand this at all. It just doesn't make any sense.

These kind of bullshit quirks are exactly what GT games need less of; yet PD and Sony are going in completely the wrong direction and adding more.

EDIT: So there's now Gold Chrome? Few pics from GT Planet

RedBullHangar-7.jpg

2z5kdwn.jpg

SanGimignano-TownSquare_1.jpg

Audi%20R8%20Gold%20Chrome.jpg

AhrweilerGate.jpg

Ahrweiler-TownSquare_23.jpg

Ahrweiler-TownSquare-2.jpg

brentech

Does anyone have the standard Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car.
I've seen it on the track, racing against it in A-Spec/B-Spec, but have not seen it in the dealerships. Curious what that baby costs. Must have.

Rflagg

G Rom said:

[/rant]
This is the biggest reason I still play and love gt games. I do prefer the feel of the cars in games like this, but that is a close second imo. The whole pokecar thing might be meant as an insult to those that play that way or the games themselves, but hey it is a huge part of the enjoyment for me. [/shrug] I would say that I don't mind somewhat of a grind, but gt5 took it a tad too far imo with not being able to sell a ton of the cars and the ones you can sell are stupidly low ball values. Disclaimer, I have not tried to sell many used cars so maybe those have decent resell values.

brentech

Damn, thanks.

Always forget about that website. I thought the price would be more in line with the SuperGTs, but not too horrible I guess.

h3ro

Psychotext said:
Eww @ Gold chrome.

Did they say how they got that?

I think they added it in 1.07. I'ma get my Arab money on.

These trade restrictions still make no sense. I think they'll get rid of them eventually, I just hope I still care about the game by then.

Top Bottom