• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

DonMigs85

evil_as_skeletor said:
And the sky's look really low res and seem to have severe colour banding/polarization and really affect the immersion experience.

Not sure if it's due to patches or they have been there the whole time...

Aren't patches meant to improve games, not destroy it.
The screen tear does seem to be slightly reduced, at the very least.

Angst

Zaptruder said:
Seriously, PD are pretty piss poor *game* designers.

The sim side of things are pretty good, fantastic even... but lets face it. They suck at optimizing resources and fun.

Of course the game is fun in many respects, but only because it's inherent to the act of driving cars.
And that's what the game is all about.

Seriously, it bugs me when people say something like "The game sucks (although the driving is wonderful)". What does that even mean? It's a game about driving. And I'm not saying that the game is perfect - long loads, odd decisions, clunky menus etc. And it's fine to complain about that. But when people say that the only thing that's good in a driving game is the driving it makes me go slightly nuts.

Dead Man

Angst said:

Seriously, it bugs me when people say something like "The game sucks (although the driving is wonderful)". What does that even mean? It's a game about driving. And I'm not saying that the game is perfect - long loads, odd decisions, clunky menus etc. And it's fine to complain about that. But when people say that the only thing that's good in a driving game is the driving it makes me go slightly nuts.
But if you take away all the the long loads, odd decisions , clunky menus etc, all you are left with IS the driving, and that is what people mean when they say that. It would be like if the menus, levels, and character design of a FPS was rubbish, but it controlled well. Sort of. Can't think of a good analogy right now.

offshore

Angst said:
What does that even mean? It's a game about driving. And I'm not saying that the game is perfect - long loads, odd decisions, clunky menus etc.
Haven't you answered your own question?

But most people don't buy GT to drive, they buy GT to race, and the racing in GT5 is awful. The AI is the worst the series has ever seen, and A-Spec is exactly the same structure it was ten years ago; enter a car that's too slow, and you can't win; whack on a turbo and you've won easily.

Toxa

DonMigs85 said:
I swear, it seems worse. You can see the road stripes being rendered as you drive. It's borderline Dreamcast-level texture filtering/mip mapping, ughh

I drove a lot at R246 for the Super GT League (my first win this season btw) and I see nothing new ... good or worse

BTW I just won the Suzuki Escudo with the prize 100 race or something like that

Shaneus

Angst said:

You still have to navigate all the b/s to get to the good stuff. And by navigate I don't just mean menus, I mean grinding to get that car you want, having to check the used car dealership every. fucking. race. just to get a car to finish the historical cup, having to navigate through the slow-arse menus just to change your oil after an enduro... it's like having an amazing car but you have to use 50 keys to unlock the fucking thing every single time you want to drive it.

How's that analogy, Dead Man?

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
You still have to navigate all the b/s to get to the good stuff. And by navigate I don't just mean menus, I mean grinding to get that car you want, having to check the used car dealership every. fucking. race. just to get a car to finish the historical cup, having to navigate through the slow-arse menus just to change your oil after an enduro... it's like having an amazing car but you have to use 50 sets of keys to unlock the fucking thing every single time you want to drive it.

Better than mine! :p

DonMigs85

Toxa said:
I drove a lot at R246 for the Super GT League (my first win this season btw) and I see nothing new ... good or worse

BTW I just won the Suzuki Escudo with the prize 100 race or something like that
Hmm... perhaps I should rest my tired brain. My eyes must be playing tricks on me

Shaneus said:
You still have to navigate all the b/s to get to the good stuff. And by navigate I don't just mean menus, I mean grinding to get that car you want, having to check the used car dealership every. fucking. race. just to get a car to finish the historical cup, having to navigate through the slow-arse menus just to change your oil after an enduro... it's like having an amazing car but you have to use 50 keys to unlock the fucking thing every single time you want to drive it.

Maybe you and me are playing the game differently, but I'll just say that I have never had to do any of those and I have completed most of the game. I did have a very good idea how to play the game while maximizing my credits/cars from the previous 4 games (haven't played GTPSP), but maybe I am the one playing the game wrong.

Shaneus

PetriP: I haven't had much GT experience outside of the occasional short burst on friend's consoles, so this was the first one I really played. It's the first time I've paid for a GT game and I can sure as shit tell you it'll be the last (unless drastic changes are made at PD).

Maybe as someone who's experienced 1-4 it's different, but as a newcomer it says a lot about how far PD have come since the first game. It's just not user friendly.

Angst

offshore said:
Haven't you answered your own question?

But most people don't buy GT to drive, they buy GT to race, and the racing in GT5 is awful. The AI is the worst the series has ever seen, and A-Spec is exactly the same structure it was ten years ago; enter a car that's too slow, and you can't win; whack on a turbo and you've won easily.
yeah, I get that. The way I play GT makes those issues not very important (to me).

My normal play session in GT5:
Start game -> GT Life -> Community -> GAFSuperGT / NRL Lounge. Then I play on the same track for 2 hours with good racers. Hence the load times and A-spec etc doesn't bother me at all. I do the bonus races when they are around of course.

Shaneus said:
PetriP: I haven't had much GT experience outside of the occasional short burst on friend's consoles, so this was the first one I really played. It's the first time I've paid for a GT game and I can sure as shit tell you it'll be the last (unless drastic changes are made at PD).

Maybe as someone who's experienced 1-4 it's different, but as a newcomer it says a lot about how far PD have come since the first game. It's just not user friendly.
The key, really, is the licence tests (and in GT5, the new seasonals). They have always given rewards that let you progress through the single player mode quite easily while still maintaining the challenge. First time I HAD to (I had bought others for fun though) buy a car was when I got stuck in B-spec after completing everything from seasonals, a-spec (minus endurances and formula GT) and licenses. This was like 150 hours in to the game. Sure, for beginners, a road map would be nice, I don't disagree with that.

I wrote a beginners guide-post on the OT1 but can't find it anymore :/

You could say the GT Life mode is the perfect Create Your Own Adventure mode, but it requires very different mindset from the player itself, which explains why there isn't much of a middle ground in the game, you love it or you hate it.

offshore

Shaneus said:
Maybe as someone who's experienced 1-4 it's different
For me it isn't. GT1 was a little different because the structure was little different, but since GT2, it's just been the same. Play one GT game and you've played them all IMO. I'm with you, GT6 won't be a day one purchase unless I know the current formula has been banished for good.
Angst said:
yeah, I get that. The way I play GT makes those issues not very important (to me).
That's no problem. Like I've said before, when you become engrossed in doing a time trial, or racing against friends, GT always has been in a league of its own. But a lot of people want a game wrapped up in the package. And when that game is the same stuff that's been used four times previously, it's just not good enough. It's the very definition of standing still and not innovating.
Melfice7 said:
Which GT has better AI than 5?
No edition has had better AI, but I don't think any edition has had choreographed AI as bad as GT5 has.

Angst

offshore said:
For me it isn't. GT1 was a little different because the structure was little different, but since GT2, it's just been the same. Play one GT game and you've played them all IMO. I'm with you, GT6 won't be a day one purchase unless I know the current formula has been banished for good.

That's no problem. Like I've said before, when you become engrossed in doing a time trial, or racing against friends, GT always has been in a league of its own. But a lot of people want a game wrapped up in the package. And when that game is the same stuff that's been used four times previously, it's just not good enough. It's the very definition of standing still and not innovating.

No edition has had better AI, but I don't think any edition has had choreographed AI as bad as GT5 has.
Whenever I play against the AI it's a snoozefest. I haven't played a racing game that provides a better AI experience though.

Even if they could make the AI perfect it would still be pretty boring compared to racing against human opponents. It's not like the AI could ever get pissed when you beat them.
unless the AI was made by Cyberdyne Systems

Dead Man

Angst said:
Whenever I play against the AI it's a snoozefest. I haven't played a racing game that provides a better AI experience though.

Even if they could make the AI perfect it would still be pretty boring compared to racing against human opponents. It's not like the AI could ever get pissed when you beat them.
I have played both 'racing sim' gamed and more 'NFS' style games that all offer better racing. Closer competition, and better racecraft. One simple thing a lot of games seem to do is not fix the stats of the opponents cars before you have selected a car, so the can increase power or weight as required. It's an easy way to make it a closer race.

offshore

Angst said:

One thing they could have done, and I've often wondered why they haven't, is make A-Spec events playable online. That way you can progress through the game racing against against people who also are progressing through the game.

Would make it super competitive ^_^

Angst

offshore said:
One thing they could have done, and I've often wondered why they haven't, is make A-Spec events playable online. That way you can progress through the game racing against against people who also are progressing through the game.

Would make it super competitive ^_^
That is a pretty good idea! Make it like Demon's Souls! :)

It would make the game progress a lot harder though - imagine if your first contact with a racing game is the Sunday Cup, racing against hardcore GT fans... It would make it immensely more fun for me at least.

Dead Man said:
I have played both 'racing sim' gamed and more 'NFS' style games that all offer better racing. Closer competition, and better racecraft. One simple thing a lot of games seem to do is not fix the stats of the opponents cars before you have selected a car, so the can increase power or weight as required. It's an easy way to make it a closer race.
But "NFS" style games almost always have rubberband AI, eventhough it is often hidden fairly well, to make the races more challenging. If you go with X2010 to sunday cup you'll win, even if the Mini Coopers had 700bhp and weight of 10 kilograms.

183/200 of Indy 500, getting closer to victory.

The fuck, you're limited to trading once per PS3/IP now?

Yeah I read the bad news (no trading over 1m), still, I went and traded a cheap car from my spare to main acc, and when I tried trading from main to spare, it tells me I already exceeded my daily limit when I havent even done shit to the main acc yet.

Same applies for the paint chips. SMFH PD, I was finally getting some enjoyment out of the game collecting stuff and you pull a fast one yet again.

Looks like my GT5 play time just went from little to none now. Might as well reach into my back catalog of other games and do those :/

amar212

Angst said:
That is a pretty good idea! Make it like Demon's Souls! :)

It would make the game progress a lot harder though - imagine if your first contact with a racing game is the Sunday Cup, racing against hardcore GT fans... It would make it immensely more fun for me at least.

It is not good idea really :)

Although sounds great on the paper, it would just be greatest crashfest ever seen :)

People would take no chances in order to win and the amount of dirtyness would be beyond imaginable.

Even racing among friends has become different once money and XP came into picture, I can't even imagine what would happen if something like obtaining trophies and such would be introduced..

h3ro

Just read about this update. Jeez PD, two steps forward with fantastic patches and then this. I don't see how trading/duping was hurting anyone.

Also, on top of that, one trade per console? The game is now about 3+ months post launch. The casuals are pretty much all gone. Let those left who are obviously still here that still love the game enjoy it in their own way and if that means duping green X1s then so be it.

Anyone know if we can still trade paint chips? Still 5 a day?

thank you based gaf for helping me out get all the matte chips before this patch!!

2 hours and 6 minutes later, I have completed Indy 500!

240000cr (lol) / 750000XP (nice!)

Feels good mang.

Didn't GT3 have that you could only TRADE cars with similar values? That would be great

Dead Man

h3ro said:
Just read about this update. Jeez PD, two steps forward with fantastic patches and then this. I don't see how trading/duping was hurting anyone.

Also, on top of that, one trade per console? The game is now about 3+ months post launch. The casuals are pretty much all gone. Let those left who are obviously still here that still love the game enjoy it in their own way and if that means duping green X1s then so be it.

thank you based gaf for helping me out get all the matte chips before this patch!!
Exactly. Will still race with GAF, but I would have a hard time recommending this game to friends.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait... there's a new patch and they stopped dupe/trading?

Well... guess I'm done with GT5 for a good long while...

offshore

amar212 said:
It is not good idea really :)

Although sounds great on the paper, it would just be greatest crashfest ever seen :)

People would take no chances in order to win and the amount of dirtyness would be beyond imaginable.

Even racing among friends has become different once money and XP came into picture, I can't even imagine what would happen if something like obtaining trophies and such would be introduced..
It's not without its issues I grant you, but I don't think that means PD should not take a look at it.

But also, if it's easier to win cash against the offline AI, there'd be no need for people to go online to try to race dirty to obtain the reward if it's just easier racing against the AI offline.

And if people did race dirty in online A-Spec races, then PD could add the option of grief reporting; one strike and you're out, and can't race online in A-Spec again.

h3ro said:

5 Per console now(regardless of how many accounts ala car trade). I logged in this morning with a GT5 patch prompt and I didnt know the extent of the "damage" so I sent 5 crappy paint chips and now im screwed for the next 24 hours. Ugh

TheSeks said:
Wait... there's a new patch and they stopped dupe/trading?

Well... guess I'm done with GT5 for a good long while...

Anything worth over 1m cant be duped, and can only dupe once a day now regardless of how many accounts you have.

Apparently theres a glitch that as long as your cars are still in ticket form (mine are), even if theyre 20m X2010's, you can still send them, loopholing the patch.

Unfortunately for me I already used my once a day car gift so I cant test this out until tomorrow. GTP says it works, but I wanna hear from GAF.

TheSeks

Well... that's... stupid.

Who the fuck was it hurting to let people get free cars from others if they wanted?

"B-B-BUT YOU DIDN'T EARN THAT X1 LEGIT AND YOU'RE USING IT IN MY LOBBY! BAWW BAWWW BAWWW"

->Host options:
Restriction: HP 400-500HP

ZOMG X1 CAN'T BE USED ANYMORE! I'M SUCH A GENIUS, I KNOW!

Guess I'll stick with 1.06 offline then.

GTP had so many anti duping whiners and now theyre trolling the boards even more...

Someone messaged Kaz about "b-b-but I lent my X1 to a friend :(" and Kaz responded the trading restriction will be "temporarily lifted" though who the fuck knows when thats gonna be.

And even if you can trade 20m cars again, you're still gonna be limited to once per console a day. Though that doesnt bother me since my only spare account holds a bunch of my colored X2010s and other 20m cars so I just want them back :(

offshore

Seriously, there's now an IP restriction?

I'm sorry, but
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif

h3ro

5 paint chips per console? 2 a day it is then! :lol

I just don't understand how this made sense to PD!

I'm so disappointed. Sounds stupid, I know, but I genuinely am! I loved looking at those 3,000,000Cr 80's rally cars and creating a list in my head of the ones I was going to pick up each week. Now, buying two is going to practically bankrupt me.

Next round of Seasonals better pay out 4 Million Cr each.

offshore

TheSeks said:
Flush network IPs. Gain new ones.

:lol :lol :lol
Yeah sure, but it's just dumb.

The whole paint chip sending restriction is dumb. The whole paint chip thing is fucking dumb full stop. Unlock them all, and let's have them all in GT Auto with unlimited usage.

TheSeks

offshore said:
Yeah sure, but it's just dumb.

The whole paint chip sending restriction is dumb. The whole paint chip thing is fucking dumb full stop. Unlock them all, and let's have them all in GT Auto with unlimited usage.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. Just a pain in the ass to send cars now.

TheSeks said:
Flush network IPs. Gain new ones.

:lol :lol :lol

Someone at GTP tried this (had dynamic IP) and still didnt work. I guess it comes down to the PS3's MAC address? or some shit like that.

Someone even went as far as saying "if I swap my HDD's can I trade more than once a day"

Now thats :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol worthy. Talk about desperation :p

TheSeks

PetriP-TNT said:
Car doubling shouldn't have been possible in the first place anyway.

Duping didn't hurt anyone, man. If you wanted to get your cars "legit" you could've ground for them. Those of us that don't want to run "Like the Wind-Indy" 200 times for 20 million credits to earn 1 car also had a different way.

It's a fucking stupid decision all around to appease the smug butthurt sniffs-their-own-farts "legit ONLY" people.

TheSeks said:
Duping didn't hurt anyone, man. If you wanted to get your cars "legit" you could've ground for them. Those of us that don't want to run "Like the Wind-Indy" 200 times for 20 million credits to earn 1 car also had a different way.

It's a fucking stupid decision all around to appease the smug butthurt sniffs-their-own-farts "legit ONLY" people.

Like I said, all the cars should be available in the arcade mode to please the wussy ass gimme-all-now-or-i'll cry "not FREE wtf???" people (nice comeback there, don't you think!)

Top Bottom