• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TTG

spats said:
Nürburgring Type V might be my new favourite track. The detail is astounding. Feels like a totally different track when there's a million people, tents and flags everywhere. Even the roadside ads seem to be completely different. Took like 12 minutes to drive around it with a Vitz but it was oh so worth it. :lol

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8fN96p7_zdA/TQAPyNYc0yI/AAAAAAAACDc/1Hc7mS6oDs4/s800/N%C3%BCrburgring%20Type%20V.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Watching the extended ending movie, shows how much more detail is still out there! Real life sure is purty. :lol

Took the McLaren F1 to victory, golded every stage of that last race.

brentech said:
That's the one I got to, like SST Concept for 98k?. Not even sure if I bought tires for it, easily won out.

Yeah, it was pretty easy... and HEY! Guess what I won?

YEP

daihatsu_midget_ii_13027.jpg

:lol

Huggers

TheSeks said:
Trying to keep a line with the controller is hard. :/

In consolation: I slammed into a few cones on my second attempt at the hammerhead. Trying to quick left/right and misjudging speed is WHOOPS on controllers.

Yeah sorry I was only messing :lol, I am unbelievably average and my time has a very good chance of being worse than that

TTG

Xun said:
I have come to the conclusion it is literally impossible.

Also it's VW not WV.

I got into first place on the first lap :lol Take it easy, the AI blows. You'll get 'em.

dwebo

Tesla ran out of juice 25 minutes into a 4h event, after which it is apparently limited to 49mph until it makes it back to a pit stop. :lol The description said this thing was supposed to get 200+ miles a charge!

edit: Oh god, it didn't recharge the battery at the pit stop...

Pro-tip: don't use a tesla for an endurance race

TTG

dwebo said:
Tesla ran out of juice 25 minutes into a 4h event, after which it is apparently limited to 49mph until it makes it back to a pit stop. :lol The description said this thing was supposed to get 200+ miles a charge!

Top Gear was right. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Niks said:
Holy shit just golded the topgear lotus challenge!

Whoever made that challenge needs to be shot.

Which challenge?

Damn your stealth edit.

Grayman

dwebo said:

haha that is terrible but funny.

The 200 mile charge probably applies to highway driving or city driving at best. Hard acceleration and hide speeds will kill that battery fast.

dwebo said:

At least they're being realistic with it. Tesla's take around 4 hours to recharge.

dwebo

TTG said:
Top Gear was right. :lol
Wow, you're right - just watched that review again and they said it would only do 55mi around their track. It puttered out about a quarter of the way into the third lap of the Nurburgring, which is pretty close to that distance. Amazing!
edit: nvm, was reading the wrong distance on wikipedia. Still pretty cool, though.

SolidSnakex said:
At least they're being realistic with it. Tesla's take around 4 hours to recharge.
Indeed, but I was kinda hoping they'd forsake realism in this case. Oh well, my b-spec team can suffer for another few hours. :lol

TheSeks

dwebo said:
Wow, you're right - just watched that review again and they said it would only do 55mi around their track. It puttered out about a quarter of the way into the third lap of the Nurburgring, which is pretty close to that distance. Amazing!

Telsa says it's a lie, however.

Clarkson fired back, however.

TheSeks

Man, the AI sucks at driving the ring just as bad as I do. Give it the highest HP in the race class, and it still comes in 9th. SMH, B-Spec.

dwebo

TheSeks said:
Telsa says it's a lie, however.

Clarkson fired back, however.
:lol Had no idea but entirely unsurprising.

I wonder how accurately GT5 models fuel consumption across the entire collection of cars. I had assumed not very, but I should've placed more faith in Kaz and crew.

dwebo said:
:lol Had no idea but entirely unsurprising.

I wonder how accurately GT5 models fuel consumption across the entire collection of cars. I had assumed not very, but I should've placed more faith in Kaz and crew.

I wonder if they stay true to the Ford GT's fuel consumption

h3ro

jockamo said:
Somebody give me MATTE WHITE paint! Please. :D

GAF whore truck gives me an idea. We need GAF Paint Whore Car.

GT5 GAF decides on a car paint color we all want (such as Matte white) and buy a car that has this color on it. We start sending her around and voila! Matte White paint chips for everyone!

What do you guys say? I've already traded for paint chips this way with leunam. It works great. Matte White is a fantastic choice btw. :D

brentech

man, I love driving Cape Ring. That track is damn awesome for an original.

I played GT1,2,3 (and don't remember it) but wasn't gaming up when 4 came out. Not sure if it was new to that game or it's a GT5 course, but it's an exciting drive.

Also just unlocked the Finale trophy and end movie which I totally wasn't expecting yet...

Ranger X

kikanny said:
Any rallying tips? I'm absolutely terrible at it.

The recurring problem for most people is to not brake enough and too late. You got to probably take the corners wayyyy slower that you are right now.

And then there's the whole drifting thing. It's not magic and you have to initiate this with the same logic as in real life. The weight of your car needs to be on the front wheels so when you turn, the back slides out because it's actually lighter. To achieve this you need to plunge right into the interior of the curve and hit the brakes. When you car is starting to slide you will have to re-accelerate in order to keep the momentum, and to counter steer so you're not spinning out.

Brake too much and your front wheels will lock and you won't turn. Brake too late of not enough and you'll will miss initiating your drift and therefore will probably either stay on grip or slide laterally on the wall.

If you're interested in cornening logics and just driving fast in general, take a peak here. They will explain it all way better than I do.

http://www.drivingfast.net/

:)

h3ro said:

GT5 GAF decides on a car paint color we all want (such as Matte white) and buy a car that has this color on it. We start sending her around and voila! Matte White paint chips for everyone!

What do you guys say? I've already traded for paint chips this way with leunam. It works great. Matte White is a fantastic choice btw. :D

This is relevant to my GT5 interests.

kikanny

Ranger X said:
The recurring problem for most people is to not brake enough and too late. You got to probably take the corners wayyyy slower that you are right now.

And then there's the whole drifting thing. It's not magic and you have to initiate this with the same logic as in real life. The weight of your car needs to be on the front wheels so when you turn, the back slides out because it's actually lighter. To achieve this you need to plunge right into the interior of the curve and hit the brakes. When you car is starting to slide you will have to re-accelerate in order to keep the momentum, and to counter steer so you're not spinning out.

Brake too much and your front wheels will lock and you won't turn. Brake too late of not enough and you'll will miss initiating your drift and therefore will probably either stay on grip or slide laterally on the wall.

If you're interested in cornening logics and just driving fast in general, take a peak here. They will explain it all way better than I do.

http://www.drivingfast.net/

:)
Thank you for that explanation! I'm improving...I think. Atleast I don't stall at every single corner now.

expy

Banned
Been B-spec'ing the entire day, should do some special events or A-spec to get the feel for the wheel back. :lol

TTG

The endurance race is hilarious. I've been in 25 minute races with no tire wear and now all of a sudden I'm 8 laps in and I spin out 5 times trying to limp into the pits. :lol

Yoritomo

kikanny said:
Any rallying tips? I'm absolutely terrible at it.

If you ever enter a corner so fast that you have to remove your hands from the wheel to countersteer you're not as fast as you could be.

plainr_

h3ro said:

I like this idea but I ran into a problem and now my matte silver paint is wasted on a crappy Cappuccino. lol

So I painted the car matte silver and gifted it to a friend. He received the car but the following paint it came with was the factory color. The car is still painted in matte silver but he didn't receive the custom paint for it. Told him to gift it back to me and I got the same result. :(

brentech

expy said:
Been B-spec'ing the entire day, should do some special events or A-spec to get the feel for the wheel back. :lol
Yeah, I finally completed the first set of B-Spec events and then the top row of the 2nd. Hate how long the races are, but valuable assets if you can manage to not have to spend extra money to make your driver win.
I think the top 3 of that second set don't have any restrictions so I just let my boys drive my DB9 with a simple oil change pick-me-up and they tore it up. lol

Mush

the_log_ride said:
This is relevant to my GT5 interests.
I hate to burst your bubble but I read on GTplanet that if you trade/gift cars you only receive the colour that car was originally painted in. Not 100% sure on this, though.

h3ro

jockamo said:
I like this idea but I ran into a problem and now my matte silver paint is wasted on a crappy Cappuccino. lol

So I painted the car matte silver and gifted it to a friend. He received the car but the following paint it came with was the factory color. The car is still painted in matte silver but he didn't receive the custom paint for it. Told him to gift it back to me and I got the same result. :(

Yup, custom paints don't apply in this. There are a few cars that come factory with matte paint.

The LF-A is one of them. We need to find a cheap alternative that comes with factory matte paints. The LF-A has Matte Black. Let's look for some Matte White on a stock car.

Get on it, Detective GAF!

Fuck this shit to hell. Fuck the Muscle Car Championship and fuck my idiot B Spec driver who insists on rubbing against the butt of every single car he's supposed to overtake.

How come only my driver spins out in every other turn and the rest of the AI drivers seem to be glued to the track?

SteelAttack said:
Fuck this shit to hell. Fuck the Muscle Car Championship and fuck my idiot B Spec driver who insists on rubbing against the butt of every single car he's supposed to overtake.

How come only my driver spins out in every other turn and the rest of the AI drivers seem to be glued to the track?

Is he on the "Red" section of the bar?

Metalmurphy said:
Is he on the "Red" section of the bar?
The first few times, yes. But these last attempts I have been carefully micromanaging his mood to keep him in the blue, and he still finds a way to get out of the track in the most crucial moments...only to politely wait until every car has passed before entering the track again. :lol Damn you H. Andersson. I thought you were cut from a different cloth.

Firewire

Banned
SteelAttack said:

Some b-spec guys are just awesome, the others not so much.

dwebo

SteelAttack said:
The first few times, yes. But these last attempts I have been carefully micromanaging his mood to keep him in the blue, and he still finds a way to get out of the track in the most crucial moments...only to politely wait until every car has passed before entering the track again. :lol Damn you H. Andersson. I thought you were cut from a different cloth.
If he's messing up near the end, it's likely because his strength is getting low. They perform best at full strength, and gradually worsen as it decreases.

Norante said:
My second B-Sprc driver is...
Bastard :lol

Top Bottom