• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Angst

I totally agree amar. Driving a racing car and using that experience in making games must be a better process than watching videos of race cars and using that experience in making games.

That said - they should release his car as DLC. Same thing with all the Playstation / GranTurismo sponsored cars around the world. They obviously have contacts within the teams and should be able to get the blueprints etc.

Metalmurphy said:
Because we all know development stops when he does this. He brings his entire team to watch. Either that or Kaz does everything in GT development.
Exactly! Kaz also models all the lug nuts in the game and that's why the premium cars take so long to finish.

No no, you are all wrong. Kaz models everything WHILE HE DRIVES. That's why it takes that long, GT6 is now 7 hours into development dudes, fuck yeah.

Angst

If the developers of Fifa 12 participated in a real top level football game Eurogamer would write.

"Fifa 12 developer gets down and dirty showing his love for the sport. Promises great things for the game"

But Kaz races in a real, top level race:

"Lazy fucker"

G Rom

Posted it in the photo sharing thread but the combination of the 458 Italia on the Nürburgring with changeable time of day is GT5 at its aesthetic finest !
So beautiful !

GT5's version of the Ring is generally considered to be the best version in a game and you can thank Kaz's track experience for that. He mentioned that after driving on it in real life he noticed some buildings and bumps that weren't in the right spots, so he had those changed in the game. It's not like he's just doing it for fun.

man I loved the day to night transitions in GT5.

hope they can add it to all tracks in future games.

it makes everything look more natural then in the GT stranded perfect summer day bland blah weather on ever single damn track.

They really nailed dusk.

Dead Man

I wouldn't care if he was doing races if we had a complete game. I would also not care if it was the first time and he was using it for feedback. But it is neither of those. Yes, he is not the only person working on the game, but they are obviously very short staffed and it sets a pretty shoddy example.

krioto

Dead Man said:
I wouldn't care if he was doing races if we had a complete game. I would also not care if it was the first time and he was using it for feedback. But it is neither of those. Yes, he is not the only person working on the game, but they are obviously very short staffed and it sets a pretty shoddy example.

This is ridiculous - a shoddy example? what rubbish

Dead Man

krioto said:
This is ridiculous - a shoddy example? what rubbish
When there are obviously issues with your game, it does not behove the president of the company to be off racing. It is as simple as that. There is nothing that he learned from this race that will be applied to the game, it is not just a weekend activity for him.

Do I think it is the end of the world? Of course not. But it does make me think he just doesn't give a shit and wants to market his game more than fix it. Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened once or twice. :)

Dead Man said:
When there are obviously issues with your game, it does not behove the president of the company to be off racing. It is as simple as that. There is nothing that he learned from this race that will be applied to the game, it is not just a weekend activity for him.

Do I think it is the end of the world? Of course not. But it does make me think he just doesn't give a shit and wants to market his game more than fix it. Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened once or twice. :)

So wrong.

brentech

GT has risen from a passion of cars. Not going to sit here and blame him for living out his life to the fullest. How many chances is he going to get to do this?

Even if he quits the games industry all together and pursues full-time racing.....that's his choice; not ours. He can do what he wants. And by all the complaining about the game, I would think a lot of you should be happy for the series to have a new director.

Whining about how someone spends there time is really ridiculous. As if 100% of your life must be dedicated to a sole project. I'd kill myself.

Dead Man

brentech said:
GT has risen from a passion of cars. Not going to sit here and blame him for living out his life to the fullest. How many chances is he going to get to do this?

Even if he quits the games industry all together and pursues full-time racing.....that's his choice; not ours. He can do what he wants. And by all the complaining about the game, I would think a lot of you should be happy for the series to have a new director.

Whining about how someone spends there time is really ridiculous. As if 100% of your life must be dedicated to a sole project. I'd kill myself.
Fair points. If he was racing only on the weekends, or we had some evidence of any work being done at the moment, I probably would not give a shit.

Maybe this race did not take up any of his work time, but I doubt it.

Dead Man said:
Fair points. If he was racing only on the weekends, or we had some evidence of any work being done at the moment, I probably would not give a shit.

Maybe this race did not take up any of his work time, but I doubt it.
But we got a patch. And suits. Lot of suits.

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28894898&postcount=11416

One example. Ofcourse his experiences of the real thing will shape the game.

Ofcourse work is being done... You think they're all on vacation? The real question is if the main work is still on GT5 or GT6.
I said that he would learn from this race. If he was racing on a track he had never been too I could see the development use, but I will maintain he did not learn anything new from this race that will make its way into the game. As for your example, that did not need a race to figure out. I would much rather they implemented all the things they MUST know are missing from their race experience, like co drivers, proper rewards for victory, and better fuelling and team management options.

Dead Man said:
I said that he would learn from this race. If he was racing on a track he had never been too I could see the development use, but I will maintain he did not learn anything new from this race that will make its way into the game. As for your example, that did not need a race to figure out. I would much rather they implemented all the things they MUST know are missing from their race experience, like co drivers, proper rewards for victory, and better fuelling and team management options.

Yes, and Kaz will single handily implement all those things...

Hes the games producer and director, I'd say this is actually more beneficial for the game then anything else "he" could do.

Goldrusher

Great month for Polyphony.

Le Mans 24 winners
overall winner: Benoît Tréluyer, big GT fan and the first guy to have seen and confirmed the dynamic weather during a studio visit for a French gaming site
http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/interview-gran-turismo-5-r-eacute-v-eacute-lations-exclusives.html
overall winner: Marcel Fässler, big GT fan
http://www.ps3community.ch/2010/11/...ssler-ich-trainiere-mit-gran-turismo-5-video/

Nürburgring 24 winners:
overall winner: Lucas Luhr, big GT fan
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150302981463504&comments
class winner: Kazunori Yamauchi!

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
Yes, and Kaz will single handily implement all those things...

Hes the games producer and director, I'd say this is actually more beneficial for the game then anything else "he" could do.
LOL, no he will not single handedly implement those things, but I am sure he could single handedly direct those things to happen, and single handedly announce they were going to be implemented.

I have come to the conclusion he is not very good at running a large team. His vision is awesome, his games have been the standard by which others are judged, and the man has a passion for cars like no one else. But he has not succeeded in making a great game this time, and I think it is because he is not capable of managing a large team which is needed. I could be completely wrong on this, and if someone shows that to be the case then I will happily admit that, but this gen has not been good to PD so far.

I'm hopeful for a Spec2 announcement at TGS. Gran Turismo is one of the few games that have been actually improving its experience for me (and for free) til now so I'm happy.
And wow at the complaint of Kaz racing/not working, the shortsight of such unbelievable remark is really sad. If anything you should be happy that the director of the game has actual driving/racing experience.

What I wish to see still in GT5:
Proper/better mechanical wear physics/mechanical damage.
Better tyre modelling and wear with improved grip models for all terrains.
Real body roll, although car makers don't want their street cars flipping like this. :(

And for aesthetics:
Photomode with pilot + car, show room like some pr shots they took with light sliders, better sound distribution. Improved old tracks, I don't really care about graphics, but some are worlds apart from the new tracks.

And I'd gladly pay for more premium cars :)

I can't seem to connect online ONLY with GT5. I can connect from the XMB no problem but as soon as GT5 boots immediately the game gives me the "You have been signed out of PSN" message.

I tried out remote race for the first time and I won (with the lowest classed driver, no less) and I guess somewhere in the middle of the race my PS3 dropped connection. When I go on my PC to check the results the status is stuck on lap 2 with the timer forever counting up.

Is there some way to 'abandon' this race via the PC?

SolidSnakex said:
GT5's version of the Ring is generally considered to be the best version in a game and you can thank Kaz's track experience for that. He mentioned that after driving on it in real life he noticed some buildings and bumps that weren't in the right spots, so he had those changed in the game. It's not like he's just doing it for fun.
GT5's Nurburgring is a work of art. Absolutely stunning.

Even though I no longer really play GT5 because I don't like it as a game, I feel I've got my money's worth just treating it as a Nordschleiffe simulator with varying weather and lighting conditions.

Angst

Handycrap101 said:
I can't seem to connect online ONLY with GT5. I can connect from the XMB no problem but as soon as GT5 boots immediately the game gives me the "You have been signed out of PSN" message.

I tried out remote race for the first time and I won (with the lowest classed driver, no less) and I guess somewhere in the middle of the race my PS3 dropped connection. When I go on my PC to check the results the status is stuck on lap 2 with the timer forever counting up.

Is there some way to 'abandon' this race via the PC?
I saw you posted this in the SuperGT thread too. Try restarting your router and recheck the connection settings on the ps3.

Angst said:
I saw you posted this in the SuperGT thread too. Try restarting your router and recheck the connection settings on the ps3.

I have no problem connecting to PSN. It's only when I boot GT5 and it throws me off. I've tried other games/services and PSN works fine.

I'm certain this has something to do with the fact that my connection dropped in the middle of my remote b-spec race because when I log into my G-T.com account it tells me that the b-spec race is still in progress on lap 2 (even though I watch the race finish and my b-spec driver got the win for the race in his stats). However on the website the race order never updates, the lap never changes and, the clock continues to run.

That was when I could actually connect to G-T.com. Now it's telling me that the site is under maintenance and I cannot log on. This is getting very frustrating and after tried to find some answer to my problem I appear to be the only person who's ever had this problem.

I've tried to reset my cache. I've reset my router. I. DON'T. KNOW. HALP.

amar212

Just for the notice:

GT5: Prologue servers and Prologue online services will be prolonged to September 30, 2011.

Initial January plan was to shut down Prologue servers tomorrow, on June 30, as can be seen here:
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/d11321.html

While abroad GT sites are just reporting September closure, Japanese site gives the whole news.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/d13239.html

It is very interesting from point of leaderboards and possible return of Official Online Racing events, so something is definitely cooking.

amar212 said:
Just for the notice:

GT5: Prologue servers and Prologue online services will be prolonged to September 30, 2011.

Initial January plan was to shut down Prologue servers tomorrow, on June 30, as can be seen here:

While abroad GT sites are just reporting September closure, Japanese site gives the whole news.

It is very interesting from point of leaderboards and possible return of Official Online Racing events, so something is definitely cooking.

I honestly don't see the relation. Servers will go down and you still won't have leaderboards.

Angst

Handycrap101 said:
I have no problem connecting to PSN. It's only when I boot GT5 and it throws me off. I've tried other games/services and PSN works fine.

I'm certain this has something to do with the fact that my connection dropped in the middle of my remote b-spec race because when I log into my G-T.com account it tells me that the b-spec race is still in progress on lap 2 (even though I watch the race finish and my b-spec driver got the win for the race in his stats). However on the website the race order never updates, the lap never changes and, the clock continues to run.

That was when I could actually connect to G-T.com. Now it's telling me that the site is under maintenance and I cannot log on. This is getting very frustrating and after tried to find some answer to my problem I appear to be the only person who's ever had this problem.

I've tried to reset my cache. I've reset my router. I. DON'T. KNOW. HALP.
Still offline?

Try resetting your PS3's connection by going to XMB, Network settings and then "Test Connection". Have you tried setting a static IP on your PS3 and then putting that IP as DMZ on your router?

If something is truly borked in your savefile / install, try backuping your save and then deleting both the savefile and install. Then reinstall everything again, first try starting GT without a save file and then with your restored save file.

Angst said:
Still offline?

Try resetting your PS3's connection by going to XMB, Network settings and then "Test Connection". Have you tried setting a static IP on your PS3 and then putting that IP as DMZ on your router?

If something is truly borked in your savefile / install, try backuping your save and then deleting both the savefile and install. Then reinstall everything again, first try starting GT without a save file and then with your restored save file.

All is well after the maintenance last night.

amar212 said:
Just for the notice:

Damn, guess i´ll have to wait a bit more fore the leaderbords. Are the ones for GT HD still working?

Metalmurphy, the thing is, when the leaderboards come to GT5, it makes sense for them to drop the old ones to gain server space.

At least, that´s the traditional thinking that not always translates to reality.

At some point, they will include. It was part of the plan, and it was supposed to in it since the start (it´s even in the back of the gamecase, ffs).

I can´t wait.

As i´ve said countless times, this will give new life to GT5. We will have goals and stuff to do with every car. :p

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Damn, guess i´ll have to wait a bit more fore the leaderbords. Are the ones for GT HD still working?

Metalmurphy, the thing is, when the leaderboards come to GT5, it makes sense for them to drop the old ones to gain server space.

At least, that´s the traditional thinking that not always translates to reality.

At some point, they will include. It was part of the plan, and it was supposed to in it since the start (it´s even in the back of the gamecase, ffs).

I can´t wait.

As i´ve said countless times, this will give new life to GT5. We will have goals and stuff to do with every car. :p
You won't get any response from him in a while... :/

They pulled the Nürburgring time trial because of the glitchers, but I think you were still in the top 50 or so? I'm #1 on the Laguna Seca drift trial!
on my friend list that is

Top Bottom