• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Ardenyal

You sure the disc isn't scratched/defective? Maybe try it on another PS3 or if you can get another copy of the game to try out.

Dibbz

Check out this crash I had on high speed ring just checking out the Maserati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5N-qoPBNPA

gt5-inycc9.gif

//B1G

Banned
Ardenyal said:
You sure the disc isn't scratched/defective? Maybe try it on another PS3 or if you can get another copy of the game to try out.
Like I said, the disc is free of any cosmetic defects. Not even a fingerprint on it.

So, I've put around 30 hours into GT5. I'm around level 28 (A) and only level 9 (B).

Haven't played the game in a while, but I think I might get back to it tonight.

If I put my sights on platinum for this game, how many hours am I looking at? Where are the main difficulties? Which trophies are the hardest and most time consuming?

I don't want to start planning on the platinum before I even know if it's feasible (for me).

Angst

Fleet_of_Foot said:
So, I've put around 30 hours into GT5. I'm around level 28 (A) and only level 9 (B).

Haven't played the game in a while, but I think I might get back to it tonight.

If I put my sights on platinum for this game, how many hours am I looking at? Where are the main difficulties? Which trophies are the hardest and most time consuming?

I don't want to start planning on the platinum before I even know if it's feasible (for me).
I think you'll be in for a lot of frustration if the platinum is your goal in this game.

A-spec level 28 - 40, maybe another hundred hours?
B-spec level 9 - 40, 150 - 200 hours?

1000 cars you should be able to get along the way to A-spec and B-spec level 40.

Then you only have to get golds on the X1 challenge... expect 5 - 10 hours for that.

But I guess the platinum guys in here can give you a better guess. But keep in mind that gutterboy and seattle are the cousins of Andretti and Ayrton Senna, respectively... :p

Angst said:
I think you'll be in for a lot of frustration if the platinum is your goal in this game.

A-spec level 28 - 40, maybe another hundred hours?
B-spec level 9 - 40, 150 - 200 hours?

1000 cars you should be able to get along the way to A-spec and B-spec level 40.

Then you only have to get golds on the X1 challenge... expect 5 - 10 hours for that.

Yikes. Thanks for talking me out of it, then. I'll just play for fun. I would like to drive that X1 at some point.

Angst

Someone else can give you a better guess though. I've spent countless number of hours practicing and racing online - and I get exactly zero XP from online practice...

Chris R

Those hour figures are way out of whack. Sure it will take some time, but not nearly that much. Just hit up the seasonal events to boost your A-Spec.

Just connected my PS3 online for the first time in a long time and man they finally got it right. Tons of events, as challenging as you want to make them, and a nice bunch of exp/credits to earn. Going to knock out a whole bunch of them tomorrow.

Angst

Yeah, perhaps you can do it faster now with Seasonals. B-spec is still a long-ass grind though.

B-spec level 40 you can reach faster if you have buddies remote speccing your drivers, but you still have to run them manually to increase their career level.

amar212

Angst said:
I've spent countless number of hours practicing and racing online - and I get exactly zero XP from online practice...

You actually get A-Spec XP points from online races, but in order to score big there are few prerequisites:

- you have to finish the race
- more laps (mileage) = more XP
- more players in race = more XP
- win both pole and race = more XP

You can also boost your B-Spec XP by developing 6 B-Spec drivers and use secondary profile to Remote Race them. Great amounts of XP by doing so.

GT5 actually have big variety of way to earn both A/B Spec XP besides "regular" career mode, and all of them are much more usable. Golding Special Events and Licenses will earn you severe amounts of ASpec XP, especially golding the Sebastianl Vettel challenges. Abnormal amount can be gained through Seasonal Events (current Expert Events are exchange for prior Bonus Race format with great XP) and driving there.

Remote Races can earn you miracles in BSpec, as I already told.

However, all of that is pretty much useless to grind and force gain. You just have to play the game and one day you will finish it. I play GT5 regularly since it came out, and have reached 33A and 30B Spec level. Notice I never moved further than 3rd tier in regular races.

Angst

That's the way I play it too. That platinum will come whenever, I refuse to ruin the game by grinding.

One thing you missed is that remote spec doesn't increase the career bar for your drivers, so to get that particular trophy you have to race them offline.

//B1G

Banned
So as per my continuing problem, last night I let the PS3 cool. It was in an upright position away from electronics. I turn it on today and finish a race. (woo! it's working) when the AI takes over it just keeps driving. And driving. Nothing shows up on the screen and none of the buttons work sans start, which only pauses the game with no options available and no text showing up on screen. So I unpause the game and let the computer drive for another two laps. I quit the game and booted it up again, started another race, and boom - freezes up on the second lap again. I never called Sony because I was gone the rest of the day, but I possibly will tomorrow.

Kaze13

//B1G said:
So as per my continuing problem, last night I let the PS3 cool. It was in an upright position away from electronics. I turn it on today and finish a race. (woo! it's working) when the AI takes over it just keeps driving. And driving. Nothing shows up on the screen and none of the buttons work sans start, which only pauses the game with no options available and no text showing up on screen. So I unpause the game and let the computer drive for another two laps. I quit the game and booted it up again, started another race, and boom - freezes up on the second lap again. I never called Sony because I was gone the rest of the day, but I possibly will tomorrow.

My friends ps3 did that same thing. He also had problems with MAG where some game assets were not loading properly (invisible buildings). His ps3 lived for another 2 months.

DonMigs85

//B1G said:
If you have a 40GB model or newer, why not try that fan test (turn off the main power on the back or unplug the cord if using a Slim, hold down eject, then flick the switch back on/reconnect the cord). It might just help clear out some filth that could be heating it up or something.

G Rom

Since the latest update, I've had many problems with GT5 too. Just yesterday, I was upgrading a car, just after the "do you want to put that upgrade on your car ?" thing, the cursor kept spinning indefinitely. The game had frozen without actually freezing since the clock was still working and the cursor still spinning. I could still access the XMB and everything.
I relaunched the game, came back to the tuning shop and it went fine this time.

I don't think it was heat in my case, buying/upgrading the two cars for saturday was the first thing I did yesterday after turning on the console and firing the game. I din't even go in-game before the game "froze" and after that I practiced for 30min/1h without any problems... :/

Ardenyal

//B1G said:
Do you have custom soundtracks enabled? Kaz has tweeted something about there being memory issues with custom soundtracks.

Angst

Dead Man said:
That sounds awesome. I'll be there if I can manage to be awake for it!!

Edit... ukm, okay. Nothing to see here.
Lol, I just realized that it was sort of pointless to advertise for a full grid event and possibly attract new guys only to not be able to participate...

I'll sign you up as a reserve. Someone will most likely not show up on race day, so you have a pretty good chance at being able to participate. Check http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425804&page=12

spats

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/06/polyphony_fukuoka/

Gran Turismo developer Polyphony Digital will be moving part of its development force from Tokyo down to Fukokua. NHK reports today that CEO Kazunori Yamauchi visited Fukuoka mayor Soichiro Takashima in Fukuoka City Hall to deliver the news that approximately 50 members of the company's 150 staff will be making the move.

According to NHK, Polyphony began considering the move following the March tsunami and earthquake disasters.

The NHK report did not offer further specifics on the move.

Fukuoka is no stranger to major developers, as the likes of Level-5 and CyberConnect2 are based there.

2132453721.jpg

is there any other way to fudge a close race experience?

the tyre compound is fine for low powered vehicles, but running h,m,s comfort/h sport is absolute shit for the high powered stuff.

Dibbz

Wax Free Vanilla said:
is there any other way to fudge a close race experience?

the tyre compound is fine for low powered vehicles, but running h,m,s comfort/h sport is absolute shit for the high powered stuff.
I don't understand what you mean. You want close races with who? Other players or the AI? If you want the most grip go with Racing Softs.

f0rk

Dibbz said:
I don't understand what you mean. You want close races with who? Other players or the AI? If you want the most grip go with Racing Softs.

I think he means have close races with the AI without using terrible tyres.

Dibbz

f0rk said:
I think he means have close races with the AI without using terrible tyres.
Hmm well usually the AI is set up to have tyres that are meant for their cars. So you'd never be in a race with 500BHP cars on comforts for example. As a rule of thumb stick with the tyres that the car comes with if the event doesn't specify what tyres the AI is using.

Round is that from the GT5 store? Nice. I think I had a look at their clothes line but damn they were expensive.

//B1G

Banned
So this game really pisses me off like no other game has before it. I honestly, literally don't understand what took them so long to develop it. This has to be the biggest mismanagement of man hours in the history of multi-million dollar productions. 5 years to develop this?!
There's so many things done so ass backwards it boggles my mind and questions my beliefs in Kaz's integrity with the funding of the game. I think rather than use the crazy amount of time he had creating this to make a crazy ahead-of-its-time game, he took Sony's money and used the game as an excuse to drive around in cars he probably otherwise wouldn't have been able to.
Why are loading times SO. FUCKING. LONG? I'm not sure if it's just me, but I literally have to wait at least 2 minutes during each segment parading around the GT logo. Accidentally click on a wrong button on the homescreen? Too bad, wait until we've loaded it up. Now to go back: Oh yeah, another minute and a half loading screen! It's as if the game has completely forgotten where I just came from and the code that it was comprised of or something. And then to go race. I sit there for roughly 2 minutes loading the race. Click X on start race. Now I wait for it to load some more while I watch my car idle around the track. So what the fuck? Why does it do that? If the game isn't actually loading, then just let me start the damn race. I don't need to see my car doing 35 mph around for 20 seconds.
Why is the AI so retarded? Why can't I play my own music, and how am I supposed to know to check Kaz's fucking Twitter to know that was the reason it was crazy every race? It's shit like that. How did it take them 5 years to upscale 75% of the cars and a good number of tracks? They didn't change that much from the previous iterations, and all the new features PD hyped everyone about aren't new ticks for the racing genre - just from GT4. Woooo! We get smoke and sparks! Holy fuck guys!!!
It's just shit that doesn't make any sense. I really like racing, but I have so much distaste for the game because of every single obstacle they put you through to get to. I honestly hate GT5.

7Ppsl.png

Dead Man

//B1G said:
So this game really pisses me off like no other game has before it. I honestly, literally don't understand what took them so long to develop it. This has to be the biggest mismanagement of man hours in the history of multi-million dollar productions. 5 years to develop this?!
There's so many things done so ass backwards it boggles my mind and questions my beliefs in Kaz's integrity with the funding of the game. I think rather than use the crazy amount of time he had creating this to make a crazy ahead-of-its-time game, he took Sony's money and used the game as an excuse to drive around in cars he probably otherwise wouldn't have been able to.
Why are loading times SO. FUCKING. LONG? I'm not sure if it's just me, but I literally have to wait at least 2 minutes during each segment parading around the GT logo. Accidentally click on a wrong button on the homescreen? Too bad, wait until we've loaded it up. Now to go back: Oh yeah, another minute and a half loading screen! It's as if the game has completely forgotten where I just came from and the code that it was comprised of or something. And then to go race. I sit there for roughly 2 minutes loading the race. Click X on start race. Now I wait for it to load some more while I watch my car idle around the track. So what the fuck? Why does it do that? If the game isn't actually loading, then just let me start the damn race. I don't need to see my car doing 35 mph around for 20 seconds.
Why is the AI so retarded? Why can't I play my own music, and how am I supposed to know to check Kaz's fucking Twitter to know that was the reason it was crazy every race? It's shit like that. How did it take them 5 years to upscale 75% of the cars and a good number of tracks? They didn't change that much from the previous iterations, and all the new features PD hyped everyone about aren't new ticks for the racing genre - just from GT4. Woooo! We get smoke and sparks! Holy fuck guys!!!
It's just shit that doesn't make any sense. I really like racing, but I have so much distaste for the game because of every single obstacle they put you through to get to. I honestly hate GT5.

http://i.imgur.com/7Ppsl.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Damn, I thought I was the resident hater, but I think you have taken the mantle.

Angst

Long loading times? The fuck?

Load time for new track is around one minute for me. Load time in menus back and forth is a couple of seconds, perhaps 10 to 15 at worst. When track is loaded and I go to track, it is almost instantaneous.

I've said it before, something is not right with your ps3...

Gynoug79

I have a hate love relationship with this game as well. When i am on the track everything is fine but as soon as i leave the track i absoloutly hate the game. So many inconcistencies and barriers and i am not talking about the standart premium cars. For example the car order in the car selection screen, why cant it be the same for my online garage and the offline garage. Or the track selection why is there no alphabetical order ?
Or why cant i pass the lenghty car buying process and buy multiple cars at once ? I dont want to waste hours and energy to buy a thousand cars or level my bobs. To me the whole b-spec mode and the way its implemented is just there to strecht the otherwise very short single player mode... except for the endurances races but then i guess not many are going to do them.Then there are the things that just dont work properly or are not available throughout the whole game like the headtracking or the telemetry. Ohh i better leave it at that because i feel all that other crap coming up...

Gynoug79 said:
When i am on the track everything is fine but as soon as i leave the track i absoloutly hate the game. Or why cant i pass the lenghty car buying process and buy multiple cars at once ?
This. I went and bought everything in the online used car lot today but dammit if it didn't take me almost a half an hour to do so. The driving physics bother me occasionally, like when the front of your car brushes the wall the game forces your rear end to rotate towards the wall, trapping you there, but overall racing in the game is really fun. I also think the load times mentioned above are insanely exaggerated but the point stands: The load times are excessive. If PSN isn't responding, the game's performance shouldn't suffer so badly. The UI should continue while the game attempts to contact PSN in the background. It almost feels like the Sega CD days at times, where so many games wouldn't respond while loading any data.

//B1G

Banned
Man, I pressed X on the controller before my TV had turned on thinking it was going to boot up the game and when it turned on I saw it was starting to download an update. I get fairly pissed and open up NeoGAF specifically to exclaim that anger, only to realize that it was for Playstation Home and I hadn't even clicked on GT5.

Well since I'm here I might as well complain about something anyway; I hate the fucking 'Do you want to sign into PSN?' messages. If I'm signed out I think it's probably for a purpose. I don't need it to ask me as soon as I've skipped the intro sequence, as soon as the first screen come on and then after I click the fucking GT Life icon! I'm only staying signed out because of whatever error on their behalf and the load time issues it creates. And holy shit PD, have faith in my decisions as a consumer. Not all of us are zombie nerds that can only control the game by specific on-screen hints and indicators.

Top Bottom