• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Not sure if it's the right place to ask that kind of question but do you know how GT5 generates car sound? I'd like to know more about it. Is it "generated" based on a collection of filters created with different audio samples? We often talk about graphics in GT but sound really is something PD could/should improve. They already did with GT5 but it's still not that great, some cars are really off (the Zonda R is a disaster for instance while the Gallardo sounds really good).

Any idea or reading advice? Thx.

PS> sorry in advance for my english...

brotkasten said:
Same thing happened here once. I fell asleep during a B-Spec race, PS3 ran all night, played the rest of the other day as well and then it happened at the evening. After that, I didn't touch my PS3 for a day or so.

GT5 is very taxing on the PS3.

We need a save option badly.

Clearly we should not have our consoles running this thing for 10+ hours.

Is just stupid if they don´t patch it.

RankoSD said:
3 posts above yours dude :/

Tuned Minolta is like 920hp on 840kg, it handles almost like an F1 car...
Nobody tried the Nissan RC92P? I got it from a ticket. Without any modification it's 1000 hp and 900 kg... It's a monster you can use in many races. I modified the gearbox in order to get higher top speed to win B-spec "Like the wind"'s Indianapolis. OK, I had to constantly pull out "faster! faster!" but ultimately my pilot was 12 seconds away from the Minolta...:D

Great car, I love it.

Massa

I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions regarding PSP integration. :) I still don't have my copy of GT5, should be getting it soon though.

I read you can import 50 cars from the PSP game. Can you select which 50 cars you want? For example, I have the Ferrari F2007 on the PSP. Will I buy able to import it and race it in Arcade mode in GT5?

Also, I read the imported cars show up as "standard" cars. The Ferrari F2007 I mentioned seems to exist in GT5 as both Standard and Premium car. What's the difference?

Finally, can you import your cars on multiple PS3 accounts? I'd like to share my GT PSP car collection with my brother, he's a very casual player so a few extras for Arcade mode should come in handy.

Thanks. :)

seattle6418 said:

I'd like to see a "no graphics" bspec option. Just the timing screens and the map. That should save a few PS3s. :D

Melfice7

brotkasten said:
Same thing happened here once. I fell asleep during a B-Spec race, PS3 ran all night, played the rest of the other day as well and then it happened at the evening. After that, I didn't touch my PS3 for a day or so.

Phatty?

Ranger X

seattle6418 said:

If web B-spec can come soon enough and offer enough $$ and XP, this would at least save the B-spec grinding from our PS3.

dwebo

Psychotext said:
I'd like to see a "no graphics" bspec option. Just the timing screens and the map. That should save a few PS3s. :D
. Should be an easy thing to implement too - just kill the screen in the timing window.

edit: Actually, now that I look at it, they could simply replace it with the tires/fuel window. That would be perfect.

I give my PS3 a rest every 4-5 hours. I learned my lesson. Don't go over 8 hours. My other Ps3 died without any indication. One day it was fine and quiet the next it died.

Boogat

Ranger X said:
If web B-spec can come soon enough and offer enough $$ and XP, this would at least save the B-spec grinding from our PS3.
I was under the impression that even with online b-spec, we still need to leave our PS3s on ? Is this not the case?

Ranger X

Boogat said:
I was under the impression that even with online b-spec, we still need to leave our PS3s on ? Is this not the case?

I don't think we know yet. I sure do hope it's web and not remote stuff.

Boogat said:
You're right... Concerning GT anywhere on GT website:
*This feature enables the remote operation of "Gran Turismo 5" from a web browser, and requires "Gran Turismo 5" to be running on your "PlayStation 3," set to the remote race screen in the game.

plainr_

Ranger X said:
Damn that sucks.
Will simply not use it then.

Isn't that what everyone expected?

If they made it so you can level up without a PS3, anybody could max out their B-Spec even before they get gt5. That's like downloading a 100% save file with everything unlocked for your brand new game. :lol

Just finished my S licence. All gold. :)

I think I have something like 6 golds left to get overall, will probably drag out the wheel for a few of them (especially as the missus is away for a week).

GodofWine

Since we are complaining about not being able to save mid-endurance race....

Not being able to save mid-RACING SERIES is soooooooo 1998...Was doing a 5 race series in Pro, got done 2 races..'exit'...'are you sure you want to retire from the championship'...no, but I had to leave cause when this game series came our I was like 18 and had nothing to do but grind on races...now 14 years later, I have stuff to do...like many of you do as well.

Kaz...the people who bought GT1, probably bought GT5...but now we have to change diapers and maintain our relationships with our wives, and have jobs that require us to sleep at night...help us.

Ranger X

jockamo said:

If they made it so you can level up without a PS3, anybody could max out their B-Spec even before they get gt5. That's like downloading a 100% save file with everything unlocked for your brand new game. :lol

No, it could have been a minimal amount + you would need to battle another person's B-spec driver. This is not like downloading a save. Besides, I prefer to download stuff than to grind stuff. The B-spec mode is wierd and there's no way I will stand before my TV watching all this or remote control my PS3. Wear and tear on my console when I am not directly benefitting = stupid.

jockamo said:

No, that´s terrible. I expected to be tied with the info you gave on PSN, and b-spec anywhere would work based on that. Once you got home and logged, youwould get things updated.

It was supposed to be like this, because the game shouldn´t be a grind for money and cars.

Who leaves their houses with a PS3 on and running a game?:lol

Nobody!

This will be useless, just like the data logger real life car thing.

Don´t even start with the "i left my PS3 folding for 18 years and it works fine" because it was completely different. Folding does not melt your GFX card, GT5 does if you run for countless hours.

Konosuke

jockamo said:

They could force driver creation only on PS3.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
GodofWine said:
Since we are complaining about not being able to save mid-endurance race....

Not being able to save mid-RACING SERIES is soooooooo 1998...Was doing a 5 race series in Pro, got done 2 races..'exit'...'are you sure you want to retire from the championship'...no, but I had to leave cause when this game series came our I was like 18 and had nothing to do but grind on races...now 14 years later, I have stuff to do...like many of you do as well.

Kaz...the people who bought GT1, probably bought GT5...but now we have to change diapers and maintain our relationships with our wives, and have jobs that require us to sleep at night...help us.

Didn't previous GT games have that feature though?! So long as you didn't start any new races, I swear I remember being able to go back and forth.

dwebo

seattle6418 said:
No, that´s terrible. I expected to be tied with the info you gave on PSN, and b-spec anywhere would work based on that. Once you got home and logged, youwould get things updated.

It was supposed to be like this, because the game shouldn´t be a grind for money and cars.

Nobody!

Don´t even start with the "i left my PS3 folding for 18 years and it works fine" because it was completely different. Folding does not melt your GFX card, GT5 does if you run for countless hours.
I did this all last week :lol Just leave your ps3 well ventilated. Might as well have it do something useful when I'm not around.

Though, if I'm honest, they should just get rid of the mode altogether. You'd think it would force them to improve their AI at least, but I'm not even sure they accomplished that much.

Konosuke

Heshinsi said:
Didn't previous GT games have that feature though?! So long as you didn't start any new races, I swear I remember being able to go back and forth.
I'm pretty sure GT4 allowed that for championships but not for endurance races.

seattle6418 said:

Nobody!

Who said that the game will actually be using the GFX card to display anything? There's no reason for it to work like that.

expy

Banned
seattle6418 said:

Nobody!
I do... And I've actually logged quite a few days (worth of time) running Folding@Home & Life With PlayStation. 60GB is a beast.

This game's reward system is absolute shite. I drove like a mother fucker today getting first place in every Formula One race in the Championship, each fucking leg 20 laps, and it pays a pittance in experience and money. Such a fucking joke. Really? I get less money for 20 laps of Suzuka than 5 laps of Indy? Oh and driving my car on the ragged edge for 120 laps for a championship pays less than it costs to overhaul the engine of the car that is mandatory to race in the series?

My motivation has stalled big time in Aspec. All I do is buy a new car and want to test it at the ring, but there are so few decent events that I can only race a pro even and win like 13k.

This game desperately needs online $ and XP asap. There is nothing to do from 24-30, then you bust your nut on X1 and then the awful awful grind to 40.

REWARD US FOR DRIVING FUCK HEADS!

My fifth driver: C. Hendrickx :lol :lol
hendricks_no_makeup.png

Her personality is HOT.

Kinda wish I can adjust body type for my B Spec Drivers.

Can anyone tell me why the AI is so slow in the corners? I get that they don't want to crash into each other at the beginning, but later on they're still so damn slow.

I chose the GT-R R32 for the Tuned Cars Championship (sorry, MM).
After few upgrades (engine +2, turbo +1, best exhaust and air filter, racing soft tires, new suspension and drivetrain) I reached 483 BHP. It's not that bad, but I thought it wouldn't be enough to win this championship. The other cars have 550 - 630 BHP after all. But after pushing the BHP from 276 to 483 I needed to see how the handling was. I did few time trials and was really surprised how good it felt. Then I was thinking "how much slower is this car compared to the rest?" and did the first race of the championship on Suzuka. I won (-2s). :lol I didn't have a chance against the amuse S2000 or the HPA TTS on the straight, but I was much faster in the corners. It was worse on Grand Valley (-8s).

It's really a bit disappointing. I'm not a good driver by any means, but come on ... 483 BHP and 1500 kg against some of those monsters? I shouldn't have a chance.

patsu

expy said:
I do... And I've actually logged quite a few days (worth of time) running Folding@Home & Life With PlayStation. 60GB is a beast.

I do too. Left my PS3 on for 9 months straight 24/7.

I'd rather they put the PS3 into a general server mode though. So I can launch RemotePlay, GT5, or something else on demand. That should be the way.

gutterboy44 said:
This game's reward system is absolute shite. I drove like a mother fucker today getting first place in every Formula One race in the Championship, each fucking leg 20 laps, and it pays a pittance in experience and money. Such a fucking joke. Really? I get less money for 20 laps of Suzuka than 5 laps of Indy? Oh and driving my car on the ragged edge for 120 laps for a championship pays less than it costs to overhaul the engine of the car that is mandatory to race in the series?

My motivation has stalled big time in Aspec. All I do is buy a new car and want to test it at the ring, but there are so few decent events that I can only race a pro even and win like 13k.

This game desperately needs online $ and XP asap. There is nothing to do from 24-30, then you bust your nut on X1 and then the awful awful grind to 40.

REWARD US FOR DRIVING FUCK HEADS!

You´re lucky, you found the F1 car. I´ve spent a good time not being able to buy anything because i´m saving money and waiting for that thing to show up.

And all i want to do is time trials, but i haven´t gotten the leaderboards patch yet.

Stoffinator said:
I don't leave it with a game running, but my PS3 is always on since I got it in November of '06

You guys are crazy. If you lived in a country with eletrical instability and a 220 voltage, i think you wouldn´t be doing the same.

My 60gb unit get´s crazy loud and hot, and now for safety reasons i only use with a fan in the room. (it´s summer here in Brazil).

dwebo

darkwing said:
hmm how do you set automatically how much fuel the B-spec driver is going to take in during a pit stop?
You can't, but the game should calculate this fairly intelligently. If the race will end before a full fuel tank runs out, it'll just give you enough to finish, otherwise it'll fill the tank completely (-1 liter, if you want to be anal about it).

MiniBossBattle said:
My fifth driver: C. Hendrickx :lol :lol
http://www.wwtdd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hendricks_no_makeup.png[IMG]
Her personality is HOT.

Kinda wish I can adjust body type for my B Spec Drivers.[/QUOTE]
Congrats, you found the homeliest pictures of Christina Hendricks on the internet :lol

darkwing

dwebo said:
You can't, but the game should calculate this fairly intelligently. If the race will end before a full fuel tank runs out, it'll just give you enough to finish, otherwise it'll fill the tank completely (-1 liter, if you want to be anal about it).

that's pretty cool , also i found out the game doesn't let you cheat if you want to switch to higher tires ( in the pit stop )than the required one :lol

EllisD

The pre-order cars are downloaded using PSN, correct? Can you use them with multiple profiles on the same PS3? Can I log into my friend's account to download the cars, then play them on my profile with a different PSN account?

EllisD said:
The pre-order cars are downloaded using PSN, correct? Can you use them with multiple profiles on the same PS3? Can I log into my friend's account to download the cars, then play them on my profile with a different PSN account?
Yes you can, at least with the Chrome Line cars. I'd assume the Stealth cars would be the same.

UFRA

(in reference to the GAF Racing League)

Members with no team (poor guys, why don't you pick one for yours? :p):

•gundamkyoukai
•Omiee
•expy
•Metalmurphy
•the_log_ride
•CozMick
•Huggers
•mclaren777

If any of you (or anyone else) are interested in a rotary-power team (such as RX-7's and RX-8's) please PM me. Myself, El_Beefo, and AdvanS13 are forming a team and we need 1 more to meet the minimum. :)

Yoritomo

At this point I just want to drive the X1. I'm sick of the regular races in a-spec. I only have the Formula GT and the dream car championship to do but I've spent 2 hours cycling license tests and can't get the Formula GT to appear.

I think I'm a little burnt out on the actual races. If they threw 60 more time challenges on the ring like the AMG challenges I'd do em all.

TTG

I guess I'll have to turn the assists(for like the 2nd time all game) for the formula gt series. Can't make it more than 5 laps without making a mistake and dropping back to 12th. Drop a wheel on the grass? 12th. Lose traction in 3rd gear? 12th. Someone decides to ram you at random? 12th. I'm really glad I got to spend 4.8 mil to enjoy this. Only 120 laps to go!

Boogat

TTG said:
I guess I'll have to turn the assists(for like the 2nd time all game) for the formula gt series. Can't make it more than 5 laps without making a mistake and dropping back to 12th. Drop a wheel on the grass? 12th. Lose traction in 3rd gear? 12th. Someone decides to ram you at random? 12th. I'm really glad I got to spend 4.8 mil to enjoy this. Only 120 laps to go!
I just finished this god awful series. I do not think there is any way to complete this series with assists off. You need to turn practically every assist on to even keep up with the AI drivers.

And after 120 laps, my hands are toast. I don't ever want to do this series again.

TTG

Boogat said:
I just finished this god awful series. I do not think there is any way to complete this series with assists off. You need to turn practically every assist on to even keep up with the AI drivers.

And after 120 laps, my hands are toast. I don't ever want to do this series again.

From the way it's structured to the actual racing, it exposes every flaw in gt5. I wonder if I'll want to play gt5 again after this, forget the series. Let's go through a couple of these. There's been enough bitching about what it takes to actually enter so I'll leave it out:

1. The AI is not rubberband, but it sure as hell doesn't behave naturally. Whatever position you're in(in a single make race obviously) that position you'll stay in. Unless there's an obvious exploit on the track. Nobody will ever pass you, everyone in front of you will pull away and out of sight in a matter of a lap or two.

2. 6 races, 20 laps a race. No mistakes allowed. Why? Because the AI will NEVER make one. And because you're racing against a whole team of them, not one guy.

3. There's no qualifying. What does this mean? It means the game expects you play bumper cars in the first couple of minutes of the race for the reasons stated above. That blows, but there's something else too. The AI bumps back. Not on purpose ofcourse, that wouldn't be right. It's just too dumb to recognize that it's a bad idea to hit you cross side full force. And you will be at odd angles because you're trying to bump THEM out of the way. And they will spazz out and brake if you hit them from behind. Oh, and once you're stuck together you may as well restart, nothing is gonna separate you two until you're back in 2nd gear in the grass somewhere.

TTG

Ok, I'm done with the single player. If I were 12 years old, I would kill myself to get this last race done. Alas, I don't have the time or the energy for a game to frustrate me for hours so I can get a check mark next to a thing or a trophy.

Top Bottom