• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

darkwing

yeah this game really needs a game feature in between races in a Championship series

anyways, what is the max hp of a Furai? can only max it to about 530hp

jey_16

Banned
is the ZR-1 RM much better then the Z06 RM? i have a RM'd Z06 that has been fantastic but i'm about to start the expert level races and i'm not sure if its going to cut it. I have maxed it out though and its sitting at around 855hp

i only have around 500k though so maybe i should save my cash....

darkwing

jey_16 said:
is the ZR-1 RM much better then the Z06 RM? i have a RM'd Z06 that has been fantastic but i'm about to start the expert level races and i'm not sure if its going to cut it. I have maxed it out though and its sitting at around 855hp

save your Cr

edit: unless you want to collect all 17 RM cars

Dead Man

TTG said:
From the way it's structured to the actual racing, it exposes every flaw in gt5. I wonder if I'll want to play gt5 again after this, forget the series. Let's go through a couple of these. There's been enough bitching about what it takes to actually enter so I'll leave it out:

1. The AI is not rubberband, but it sure as hell doesn't behave naturally. Whatever position you're in(in a single make race obviously) that position you'll stay in. Unless there's an obvious exploit on the track. Nobody will ever pass you, everyone in front of you will pull away and out of sight in a matter of a lap or two.

2. 6 races, 20 laps a race. No mistakes allowed. Why? Because the AI will NEVER make one. And because you're racing against a whole team of them, not one guy.

3. There's no qualifying. What does this mean? It means the game expects you play bumper cars in the first couple of minutes of the race for the reasons stated above. That blows, but there's something else too. The AI bumps back. Not on purpose ofcourse, that wouldn't be right. It's just too dumb to recognize that it's a bad idea to hit you cross side full force. And you will be at odd angles because you're trying to bump THEM out of the way. And they will spazz out and brake if you hit them from behind. Oh, and once you're stuck together you may as well restart, nothing is gonna separate you two until you're back in 2nd gear in the grass somewhere.
You forgot there are six races, so you have to miss a day of the used car lot, which Murphy's Law states will be the day with the car you were looking for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
seattle6418 said:
GT5 is very taxing on the PS3.

We need a save option badly.

Clearly we should not have our consoles running this thing for 10+ hours.

Is just stupid if they don´t patch it.

I'd take a 'turn down the graphics' option for b-spec, so I can safely 'fold GT' overnight. The b-spec events are so long you can't reasonably babysit them actively.

Does anyone know if its less taxing if you're on the timing screen, with the little live window? Knowing PD its probably still rendering 1080p and then scaling it down so its more taxing..

TTG said:
Ok, I'm done with the single player. If I were 12 years old, I would kill myself to get this last race done. Alas, I don't have the time or the energy for a game to frustrate me for hours so I can get a check mark next to a thing or a trophy.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am glad to hear there is actually something slightly Extreme present in the Extreme series of events. The A-Spec level has been made really accessible - I don't think it's been this accessible since GT2. In older GTs, we would have this series end with a full 71 lap race on Monaco.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Whats a good car to use for the Expert Historic Cup? I have a chromeline XJ13 but can't us it and don't really want to save 20 Million to buy a car just for this race!

With this and being on the Look out for the Formula Gran Turismo my credit balance won't last!

TTG

Maastricht said:
I haven't tried it yet, but I am glad to hear there is actually something slightly Extreme present in the Extreme series of events. The A-Spec level has been made really accessible - I don't think it's been this accessible since GT2. In older GTs, we would have this series end with a full 71 lap race on Monaco.

It's extremely.... bad :lol I loved the license full lap battle tests. Really liked some of the special events, liked the historic cup and the super gt cup. Loved using fully tuned production cars in the challenges that had le mans prototypes etc... this just ratchets the frustration up.

expy

Banned
Hmmmm, no matter how many instructions I give my driver, he can practically never pull a proper passing maneuver. Maybe his level isn't high enough?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TTG said:
From the way it's structured to the actual racing, it exposes every flaw in gt5. I wonder if I'll want to play gt5 again after this, forget the series. Let's go through a couple of these. There's been enough bitching about what it takes to actually enter so I'll leave it out:

1. The AI is not rubberband, but it sure as hell doesn't behave naturally. Whatever position you're in(in a single make race obviously) that position you'll stay in. Unless there's an obvious exploit on the track. Nobody will ever pass you, everyone in front of you will pull away and out of sight in a matter of a lap or two.

2. 6 races, 20 laps a race. No mistakes allowed. Why? Because the AI will NEVER make one. And because you're racing against a whole team of them, not one guy.

3. There's no qualifying. What does this mean? It means the game expects you play bumper cars in the first couple of minutes of the race for the reasons stated above. That blows, but there's something else too. The AI bumps back. Not on purpose ofcourse, that wouldn't be right. It's just too dumb to recognize that it's a bad idea to hit you cross side full force. And you will be at odd angles because you're trying to bump THEM out of the way. And they will spazz out and brake if you hit them from behind. Oh, and once you're stuck together you may as well restart, nothing is gonna separate you two until you're back in 2nd gear in the grass somewhere.

oh, I'm now so glad I saved up and camped in the used car dealer for this car :/

You shouldn't give up single player though - I'm currently storming through with the best cars I can, and then plan to go back and play it more like brotkasten - picking cars close to the expected opponents and tuned similarly, so I can battle against the AI. If PD won't give us close/restricted/one-make races, I'll do it for them

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just running the Indy 500 now (well, the PS3 is, I'm at work). Want the GT40 race car. Not sure whether to continue after that. The XP needed to level up is stupid, and there isn't even a new race for level 29, I have to go up *two* levels for the next one :/

although if GTP's list is true and you get the
ISF concept
at level 32, that'll save some money to buy other nice things, and the
red bull X1
at level 35 just for shits and giggles.

TTG

Let the time trial of epic proportions begin. Top Gear power lap board will quiver and run for cover upon seeing this list of cars :lol

Make horsepower/weight -- all will be done on soft race tires. Aero kits depending on the amount of ugly it does to a car. No all out race cars, yes 2 RM'd cars are in and so is the Zonda and so is the gorgeous Le Mans Ferrari, but I draw the line there. All upgrades are fairly even, namely weight savings to max. 3 laps each on a track determined by me... sometime today. EDIT: Nurburgrind GP course, it's fucking amazing.

Cerbera Speed 12. 1026/1020
Veyron 16.4 1238/1424
Viper SRT10 ACR 1000/1257

Enzo Ferrari 922/1044
Pagani Zonda R 956/1070

Mclaren F1 882/970
Corvette Z06 RM 865/1090
Murcielago LP 670-4 SV 883/1268

Mclaren MP4-12C 786/1119
Gallardo 560-4 742/1169
Shelby Cobra 427 762/918

Ford GT 696/1203
Ferrari 458 Italia 682/1232
Ferrari 330 P4 630/792

Ferrari 430 Scuderia 599/1119
Nissan GT-R 592/1426
BMW M3 572/1342

TVR Tuscan 6 RM 476hp/885
BMW 2002 Turbo 348/918

plainr_

OMG The Ring online was amazing with 16 players. It was a clean race and everybody had a pretty flawless connection. I hope to see more races like this.

Just driving on this track is so satisfying. :D

paskowitz said:
Take ABS off and you will win. Do not ask why. Just trust me it works.

Thanks that definitely helped. Can't seem to understand why I got faster with it disabled. Got the gold on my fourth try.

jey_16 said:

Save your money. I heard ZR-1 is only marginally better. It's not going to make a difference at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jockamo said:
OMG The Ring online was amazing with 16 players. It was a clean race and everybody had a pretty flawless connection. I hope to see more races like this.

Just driving on this track is so satisfying. :D

Thanks that definitely helped. Can't seem to understand why I got faster with it disabled. Got the gold on my fourth try.

doesn't it force some amount of ASM on, so it'll tend to scrub speed in high speed corners?

Dead Man

mrklaw said:
doesn't it force some amount of ASM on, so it'll tend to scrub speed in high speed corners?
Yeah, I think that's it. Funnily though, with my ZR1 RM in Like the Wind at Indy I'm way faster with ASM on. Weird.

dwebo

mrklaw said:
although if GTP's list is true and you get the
ISF concept
at level 32
You don't get it for level 32 - it's a reward for one of the b-spec endurance races (unless that's what you meant). Wish I had known that before I bought one for the extreme event, but oh well :lol

TTG

dwebo said:
You don't get it for level 32 - it's a reward for one of the b-spec endurance races (unless that's what you meant). Wish I had known that before I bought one for the extreme event, but oh well :lol

What could you possibly be saving money for at that point? :lol It's only 950k, is it stopping you from buying up the full collection of cars from historic world cup?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TTG said:
What could you possibly be saving money for at that point? :lol It's only 950k, is it stopping you from buying up the full collection of cars from historic world cup?

after buying the formula GT, I don't have that much money left - just over a million. high level b-spec races pay peanuts - 4hrs pays about 30k. I'd rather use that money to start work on my personal shopping list - eg a Super GT Calsonic skyline, cusco impreza etc.

dwebo

mrklaw said:
after buying the formula GT, I don't have that much money left - just over a million. high level b-spec races pay peanuts - 4hrs pays about 30k. I'd rather use that money to start work on my personal shopping list - eg a Super GT Calsonic skyline, cusco impreza etc.
Yeah, I'm not even sure a week of b-spec has net me 950k, though admittedly I haven't been too efficient about it.

Endurance pays trash money. I wonder who's idea at PD to decrease the prize money and got rid of repeatable prize cars. A common gamer has a better judgement then this. I'm stopping endurance after the 9 hour race. There is no chance in hell I'm going to do the 24 hours.

plainr_

mrklaw said:

Thanks. That's good to know for future races.

darkwing said:
i should stop looking at the Used Car shop, can't stop buying interesting cars :lol

Me too. I end up buying one every time I go there. :lol

expy

Banned
mrklaw said:
That extreme a-spec American championship race on Indy nets you 98,000 for about 4 minutes worth if work.

SmokyDave

mrklaw said:
What level are you?

I'm B-Spec 23, and although I can't remember which races I've been doing, I've been getting far better payback than that. I think I've been doing a Turbo race in the 2nd league from the top.

TTG

mrklaw said:

I'm level 25 in A-spec and like 26 in B-spec. I think I have just under a mil right now, the forumula GT does make a dent. But I have everything I want and it's tuned and on race tires. There isn't that much to buy, not in the premium section at least.

Best pay I got in B-spec was Laguna Seca in the american challenge in extreme. It's almost 50k for like 16 minutes of racing, if I remember correctly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SmokyDave said:
What level are you?

I'm B-Spec 23, and although I can't remember which races I've been doing, I've been getting far better payback than that. I think I've been doing a Turbo race in the 2nd league from the top.

b-spec lv 28 (just doing the Indy 500 now)

oh, I know, it was kind of ok getting to save up my 5mil. But now i'm doing endurance races (mainly for three particular cars I want,
ford GT race car '69
/
Lexus IS F concept for the touring cars
/
Red Bull X1
) and the payouts in cash are absolute shit.

after doing that I'll start on a-spec extreme and the last few expert races. That should give me plenty of cash, and if not I can grind the american extreme indy.

TTG

f430 Scuderia and GTR run perfectly even on Nurburgring GP circuit when in under 600hp spec. Ferrari is more fun, but damn! I expected the weight to have some advantage.

For those of you who haven't experience the shit fest that is acquiring the Formula GT and racing it in the corresponding event, let me highlight some "fun" parts.

-You have to save/grind 4.8 million credits or more
-You will likely see the F1 GT in your used lot just before you have saved enough. A fantastically subversive "fuck you" from GT5
-Every one of your favorite cars you want to buy will appear in your used lot tempting you to blow your saved cash
-As soon as you hit 4.8 mill, expect the F1 GT to return when Halley's Comet does.
-You will need to spend another 500k to rebuild the engine giving you ~936HP
-The F1 GT event is all 20 lap races, you cannot save mid event
-The awful AI is exacerbated by the twitching high grip F1 cars
-There is no qualifying so you have to test out all of the tracks in your F1 car ahead of time to make sure your gearing is perfect
-You will always start each race in 7th. Remember, open wheel F1 racing is all about "tradin' paint"
-You will get spun out numerous times each race on matter how careful you are
-This will be some of the most exhausting challenging driving you will do because on lap 15 you will be smashed by a car and go to last place and have to drive near perfect the rest of the race to win
-You will earn absolutely fuck all for XP
-You could have earned 10x as much $ if you just grinded Indy 5 lap than you would spending half the time completing this event
-The total prize amount for winning every race and golding the event will be less than it costs to rebuild your engine
-You will now have a F1 GT car with less than 840HP because of the event wear and tear
-You will have net lost nearly 6 million credits and several hours of time

+You have an F1 GT car and one event golded

confuziz

Banned
My b-spec driver (lvl 11) can't win all the races @ the supercar race (lvl 11) while I gave him a mercedes slr fully tuned.

What the hell.

TTG

gutterboy44 said:
For those of you who haven't experience the shit fest that is acquiring the Formula GT and racing it in the corresponding event, let me highlight some "fun" parts.

How many did you win and what were your placing in the ones you didn't?
I never made it past lap 8 on Fuji, too much frustration

plainr_

gutterboy44 said:

-You have to save/grind 4.8 million credits or more
-You will likely see the F1 GT in your used lot just before you have saved enough. A fantastically subversive "fuck you" from GT5
-Every one of your favorite cars you want to buy will appear in your used lot tempting you to blow your saved cash
-As soon as you hit 4.8 mill, expect the F1 GT to return when Halley's Comet does.
-You will need to spend another 500k to rebuild the engine giving you ~936HP
-The awful AI is exacerbated by the twitching high grip F1 cars
-There is no qualifying so you have to test out all of the tracks in your F1 car ahead of time to make sure your gearing is perfect and will always start 7th
-You will get spun out numerous times each race on matter how careful you are
-This will be some of the most exhausting challenging driving you will do because on lap 15 you will be smashed by a car and go to last place and have to drive near perfect the rest of the race to win
-You will earn absolutely fuck all for XP
-You could have earned 10x as much $ if you just grinded Indy 5 lap than you would spending half the time completing this event
-The total prize amount for winning every race and golding the event will be less than it costs to rebuild your engine
-You will now have a F1 GT car with less than 840HP because of the event wear and tear
-You will have net lost nearly 6 million credits and several hours of time

+You have an F1 GT car and one event golded

I myself just reached this event. Now I know what to expect. :lol

Steroyd

Anyone have any tips on how to win the Indy 500 B-spec endurance without having to babysit my driver?

I would have left it after golding it once, but I can't ignore the 150k xp you get from it, but I don't want to sit there for at least one third of the race, hacking the X button. T_T

Medium tires seem to be the best, in terms of wear and tear and grip so he doesn't slow down too much round the corners, turned off the auto pit in strength, lessened the brakes, lowered the cars aerodynamics widened the gears to hell and it still doesn't seem to be enough, maybe I should lessen the brakes.

I refuse to believe that my Minolta Toyota isn't good enough either.

What level are you?

Endurance races in B-spec wholly suck ass for credits, you earn less than you do from the extreme races, it's rediculous.

TTG said:
How many did you win and what were your placing in the ones you didn't?
I never made it past lap 8 on Fuji, too much frustration

I won them all and it made me want to die. My shoulders were so fucking sore at the end of the event. (G27) I was wincing in pain during Suzuka.

Every race I was spun at some point or just made a stupid mistake from lapse of concentration. This normally results going into last place. That means you have to drive up through the entire brain dead field several times during a race. More often than not I get spun again during my charge to the front because the AI IS FUCKING AWFUL and always has been in GT games. Anyone who wants to defend this games AI needs to gold this event and then they can talk, until then shut your mouth, the AI is fucking garbage. The highlight of the AI's brilliance is during the Nurburgring GP event where the AI goes flying off the track almost every lap at the final chicane in a very Benny Hill like way. I honestly would come to a stop and just watch the morons in my rear view to get a small shred of joy in the otherwise miserable endeavor.

My last race and most tiresome, Suzuka saw me going to last place no less than 5 times. I drove my god damn mind out and managed to get back to first with a lap left to go.

brunoa76 said:
or spend 500 credits draining your car for the same HP gain ;)

Nope, oil change only gets you back to max part of the way. The engine wear on the F1 car is brutal and you see significant HP reductions after only a few races. I am over 10 HP lower after my end of event oil change than I was before starting the event with clean oil + engine overhaul.

I kind of hate GT5 after this event and am only B Specing and driving "for fun" until there is XP and $ in online races. So sick of these late stage A Spec events. All I have left is Endurance races, which aren't fun do to the lack of save option. I am waggering my PS3's health and my entire GT5 save each time I take on an Endurance race.

We need online XP and $ asap to save this game

Poor Rich

Neo Member
confuziz said:
Yes, he can't handle the daytona one. He brakes in every fucking corner..

I had the exact same problem. All 3 of my drives would get in first at the start and then brake HEAVILY at 2-3 spots. The only way I won was by yelling GO FASTER at him and getting lucky with a slower filed of competitors.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gutterboy44 said:

oh well, I've bought it now.

Steroyd, thats worrying - I left mine running the Indy 500 unattended, assuming he'd be lapping everyone even when fully blue (auto pit too). Not a good sign. Will check on him when I get home

gutterboy44 said:

Yeah, this one isn't very nice. You could save mid event in previous GT I think. I also agree that it's a shame that qualifying has been gone.

How many events is this again? 20 laps is 40 minutes max (there can't be many tracks that take 2 minutes in the F1 car), so if there are 6 events, that's 6 hours max, so probably it'll be something like 4 hours?

mrklaw said:
oh well, I've bought it now.

Steroyd, thats worrying - I left mine running the Indy 500 unattended, assuming he'd be lapping everyone even when fully blue (auto pit too). Not a good sign. Will check on him when I get home

Don't get me wrong, buying the F1 car is part of the GT experience and it is awesome/hilarious the first time you take it to the ring. But the investment to reward ratio is so fucked.

In the end I felt like I lost despite winning every race. That is my problem. The F1 event showcases so much of what is wrong with GT5 and GT as a whole and highlights almost zero of the good.

Top Bottom