• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Metalmurphy said:
I saw lots of interest in both of them before the game started but now everyone seems to be backing out :/

Don´t worry. I feel like online racing in GT5 hasn´t trully started because most people are still grinding the carrear mode/b-spec to get the cars they want. I know i am and i still don´t have 200 cars.

It will kick in after a while and also after GT Academy is finished (January).

X-Frame

Does anyone have an '87 Buick GNX (Standard) they dont want?

And also, everything you guys were saying on the previous page critiquing the ridiculous design designs of this game are spot on. So many bonehead decisions it's nuts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there a link to how to use the course maker to make crazy courses for jumping cars etc? And whats the best way to try out damage/ Doesn't seem to be in arcade mode - only online?

seattle6418 said:
Don´t worry. I feel like online racing in GT5 hasn´t trully started because most people are still grinding the carrear mode/b-spec to get the cars they want. I know i am and i still don´t have 200 cars.

It will kick in after a while and also after GT Academy is finished (January).
I still haven't touched playing vs. randoms online, only done a few GAF get togethers

KingDizzi

Banned
seattle6418 said:
I haven´t forgotten about the leaderboards. It´s huuuge for me. I´m still believing it´s coming in a patch later this month.

If it takes a while to show up, then i´ll be mad. :(

Disclaimer: GT academy doesn´t mean leaderboards will magically show up. They might as well set up the event and only the leaderboards for that. What´s funny is the fact that leaderboards for GT5 Prologue and GT HD demo still work! (last time i checked).

I've been very vocal to the point of being plain old annoying about what I think about GT5 and most importantly the exclusion of online credits and leaderboards. The latter though matters so much to me, it's the reason why I am hanging onto the game. Once they add it the bitching will all melt away, will play for hours and hours. Just really puzzled why leaderboards and online credits were not there at launch but whatever the case, PD need to patch those in ASAP. All I really care for, has Yamauchi tweeted or whatever about when the leaderboads will be in? It's a painstaking wait. :lol :lol :lol

Oh god, watching your B Spec drive NASCAR at Indy is like watching your daughter drown in a kiddie pool of her own tears while a bunny rabbit gets euthanized with intravenous habanero sauce... But only more painful to watch.

gutterboy44 said:
Oh god, watching your B Spec drive NASCAR at Indy is like watching your daughter drown in a kiddie pool of her own tears while a bunny rabbit gets euthanized with intravenous habanero sauce... But only more painful to watch.

If it's anything like watching drive any other car around that circuit then I completely concur.

WHY ARE YOU BRAKIINNNNNNGGGG!!!!?!!!!!!!!?!?!??!!!!

LabouredSubterfuge said:
If it's anything like watching drive any other car around that circuit then I completely concur.

WHY ARE YOU BRAKIINNNNNNGGGG!!!!?!!!!!!!!?!?!??!!!!

He is braking on corner exit@!@@@@@##@$@#%$@#%#@ On a fucking oval. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this game has the worst AI ever.

Find me one place on earth where it says that you should brake as you exit a corner on to a long straight away to maximize speed and I will blow zombine jeff gordon on a webcam.

gutterboy44 said:
He is braking on corner exit@!@@@@@##@$@#%$@#%#@ On a fucking oval. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this game has the worst AI ever.

Find me one place on earth where it says that you should brake as you exit a corner on to a long straight away to maximize speed and I will blow zombine jeff gordon on a webcam.

It's probably in diligent preparation for the incoming wide-banking corner that's a mere three quarters of a mile down the road.

Bobo

gutterboy44 said:
You think that is bad?.. My bspec driver actually brakes just before the finish line at Daytona... (sport truck event) I've lost count on how many times he lost that race because he kept on trying to stop on track.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
It's probably in diligent preparation for the incoming wide-banking corner that's a mere three quarters of a mile down the road.

:lol I am pretty sure a Tamagotchi could lap Indy faster. Why isn't there a "scold and berate" button on B-Spec. I would have that shit hot keyed.

gutterboy44 said:
:lol I am pretty sure a Tamagotchi could lap Indy faster. Why isn't there a "scold and berate" button on B-Spec. I would have that shit hot keyed.

Me: "You're shit!"

Z.Hendrix: "Okay"

Me: "You're fucking shit!"

Z.Hendrix: "Okay"

Me: "WHY MUST YOU MOCK MEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

GodofWine

Bobo said:
You think that is bad?.. My bspec driver actually brakes just before the finish line at Daytona... (sport truck event) I've lost count on how many times he lost that race because he kept on trying to stop on track.

My drivers, who I thought were impervious to this horrible driving, have proved me wrong by not being able to drive in large circles around an oval...my god Im dumping money into this stupid RAM....I shoulda waited out the used market for the yota or the silverado SS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You know, Kaz, if you're going to put Standards in the photo mode areas on the home menu, why not LET ME TAKE PHOTOS OF THEM IN THE PHOTO MODE!?

SMH @ my Eclipse being in the Home screen in the Cherry-blossom Japan shoot, but I can't do anything about taking phtoros of it. >:|

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hm, after B-specing for a while, I have a question/suggestion.

When watching the live timers, why don't we have a way to look at times for past laps? Or at least color code sector times to indicate better/worse/best vs previous lap?

I like leaving Beckenbauer alone until his times start slipping, then I give him an earful and he picks it up. It would be nice to color code the split times purple/yellow/green/white like all racing disciplines so we can get an idea if he is slacking, maintaining or getting better.

And also maybe customize the right side display from names/cars to current laps/splits vs all previous laps for the driver.

AndyD said:
Hm, after B-specing for a while, I have a question/suggestion.

When watching the live timers, why don't we have a way to look at times for past laps? Or at least color code sector times to indicate better/worse/best vs previous lap?

I like leaving Beckenbauer alone until his times start slipping, then I give him an earful and he picks it up. It would be nice to color code the split times purple/yellow/green/white like all racing disciplines so we can get an idea if he is slacking, maintaining or getting better.

You sir have pointed out an incredibly obvious and simple feature that could nearly effortlessly be included in the game. Therefore, you will never see it in a GT game ever. Moreover, all timing and scoring will be removed from B Spec in the next version.

AdvanS13

Neo Member
Bobo said:
i had to upgrade my damn ramn to 700hp!!!!!! after 10 attempts at 500 or so hp.

While we share stories from our retarded drivers, we should take a moment of silence for all the Signature Edition owners who will be trying to win a real SLS on a GT5 competition run EXCLUSIVELY on b-spec!

"level up your b-spec drivers"

Yay!

That sure looks like fun, right???

X-Frame

Are there any good B-Spec grinding races, maybe in Expert or Extreme, that will net me a lot of money for little work where I can give my dude a good car and walk away?

The Indy 500 in A-Spec is great for the $98,000 but if Bob can do it while I watch TV that'd be much better.

Anything?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
seattle6418 said:
While we share stories from our retarded drivers, we should take a moment of silence for all the Signature Edition owners who will be trying to win a real SLS on a GT5 competition run EXCLUSIVELY on b-spec!

"level up your b-spec drivers"

Yay!

That sure looks like fun, right???

Wait, what... they have a Chromeline SLS and yet they're doing a regular one contest? WTF, Polyphony!?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok, so I was going to argue that perhaps the AI isn't that bad. Maybe the problem is if you are much stronger you'll get frustrated by not being able to get past. And if you are more aggressive with your outbraking etc, the AI might 'cut you up' but actually you're just surprising them.

But I won't argue that, because I'm getting annoyed at their lapped behaviour. No blue flags maybe, but they should fucking get out of the way and certainly not fight back and re-overtake aggressively.

Steroyd

X-Frame said:
Are there any good B-Spec grinding races, maybe in Expert or Extreme, that will net me a lot of money for little work where I can give my dude a good car and walk away?

The Indy 500 in A-Spec is great for the $98,000 but if Bob can do it while I watch TV that'd be much better.

Anything?

No Bob can't do Indy 500 on his own, because he will be a retard and brake on every turn, the roadster race is the closest to the Indy 500 in terms of xp earned vs manual input if you buy the high end eligable Mazda and tune that to the max.

Extreme European championship would fit the bill, just put them in a Zonda R and watch them disappear off into the distance.

So far putting the tires on Medium for the Indy 500 seems to produce the best results without doing anything (finished 4th instead of finishing 9th) but I still have to sit there for an hour and a half tapping X to ensure victory, screw it, I'm going to suck it up and get to level 30 ASAP.

Changing the aerodynamics doesn't help, while he's able to maintain around 250mph on the straight if he's in a slipstream he still falls to 150mph on the turns (compared to 170 - 180mph if the aerodyamics are on default settings), which is about the other cars speeds on the turns, what sucks is that lapping the other cars doesn't garuntee victory either (came 2nd).

Is this the place to trade stories about stupid bspec drivers? I need to vent about my idiot driver. :lol

I can't make him win the Laguna Seca event on the muscle car championship of the third tier. I've tried with 3 different cars now, all maxed up. A '70 Challenger, a '66 Shelby Cobra, and a '66-ish Buick (the one that is lower on the back) that is fucking IMPOSSIBLE to spin out.

He won't achieve anything over 3rd place in a 9 lap event. He seems to be happy to stay behind somebody's ass and gently hump it when I prompt him to overtake. Which is constantly. After much cursing he finally won Daytona with the Shelby, but this one seems impossible for him.

Am I the only one who likes his B.Spec driver? :lol

He was very aggressive at the start but now he's able to handle the cars even on in the HOT state, and after a while cools down on his own.

Alucrid

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

He was very aggressive at the start but now he's able to handle the cars even on in the HOT state, and after a while cools down on his own.

T. Pelletier is my French homeboy.

Steroyd

Metalmurphy said:

Oh you'll learn to hate him when he drives on a ring track, that's the only track i get pissy at my B-spec driver for... that and the Nascar series.

I only get pissed beecause sometimes my b-spec guys drive really well on complex tracks and perform very smart overtaking manoeuvres where I wouldn't expect them to. Then they brake heavily on a long straight.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Metalmurphy said:

Sounds like my boy T. Griffin.

He's pissed as hell when cars are near him at the beginning, but after he pulls ahead he chills out. Way out even to where it almost seems as if he's asleep.

A dramatic interpretation of my interaction with my B Spec driving team.

Me: Alright lads, today is a massive day. We have three events left in the championship, let’s go out and win them all! O.Goh, what’s wrong?
O.Goh: I am feeling down.
Me: Why?
O.Goh: No reason.
Me: Is it because I haven’t used you in a while
O.Goh: Kind of.
Me: Does winning make you feel better?
O.Goh: Sometimes, doesn’t really matter.
Me: Ok fuck this, who else is up for the races?
I.Pope: Oh me,me,me. Quick question, does my forehead feel hot coach?
L.Bean: I am good to go as well coach, just need to shake these chills. Anyone else cold?
Me: What the fuck is with you lot!? You’re like a bunch of menopausal women.
B.Tran: I am a woman coach.
Me: What! My bad B.Tran, you never take off that helmet and I just assumed you were a man. How about you take the wheel today, let me make it up to you.
B.Tran: Thanks coach! I won’t let you down. It is a 300hp average sedan race with unrestricted tires. What do you think I should grab from the garage? The STI? The Focus?
Me: Um, nah why don’t you take out the Minolta
B.Tran: Really? That seems a bit much. I think I can handle the competition with the STI.
Me: Take the Minolta, trust me.
*The race begins*
Me: Overtake!
B.Tran: Whoops, rear ended N.Soto, my bad.
Me: Ok, no problem, shake it off, overtake!
B.Tran: It is hot in here, I think I am going to hang back a little. Oh, this guy is next to me, better slow down. Or should I pass him? I am not sure. I need some advice coach. This racing thing is just so darn confusing sometimes.
Me: Overtake!!! You literally have four times the horse power FFS!
B.Tran: Wow these turns sure are scary, but I seem to do well on the straights! They aren’t even close to me after that last lap.
Me: Yeah yeah, good job just keep your head in the game.
B.Tran: I am gonna just roll down the windows and cool off a bit, is that ok coach?
Me: You’re in a god damn race! What do you mean cool off?! You are a disgrace to the sport of racing, pace up you chicken shit! I am going to go make a stiff drink and try to forget the tremendous disappointment you and your teammates are to me. If you don’t hear anything from me, just remember you are in a race and should maintain a fast pace no matter what.
*Radio goes silent followed by muffled cursing in the distance and an uncorking of a bottle*
B.Tran: Coach? Coach? Should I slow down? I am coming up on these lapped cars and it is making me really mad. So mad I could just, whoops! Went a little wide there, let me just steer her back on the road, Whoops! went off on the other side. If I could just get her going strai... Oh no! all of the other cars! Ok, I think it is best to just sit here politely until they all pass.
*Gunshot echoes across the radio, followed by a loud thud*
B.Tran: Coach?

Bobo

Metalmurphy said:

Out of my 3 drivers there is only really one of them I like. H.Potter AKA Dirty harry... I only like him because he is dirty... LOL. He caused a pile up at London, during the Italian festival, he tapped the rear of the leading Lancia Stratos... and Dirty Harry went on to win the race by over 15secs. And in the Classic muscle car event at Monza took out a Dodge Charger, again by tapping the rear and making the Dodge spin off into the gravel.

EDIT: Because I am very childish:D here are my b-spec drivers names... T.Watts / H.Potter / J.Van Damme

gutterboy44 said:

Me: Alright lads, today is a massive day. We have three events left in the championship, let’s go out and win them all! O.Goh, what’s wrong?
[

I've got O.Gohs' brother, I.Goh. :lol

h3ro

weekend_warrior said:
I've got O.Gohs' brother, I.Goh. :lol

O. Goh and I. Goh. That means this guy's next...

2831687309_ee5320510b.jpg

U. Goh.

B-spec drivers are fairly obnoxious in Nascar, but my guy drives like a fiend on the 'Ring. The tracks that gave him the most problem were Grand Valley, Cape Ring, and Monaco.

Metalmurphy said:

N. Senna here. His personality is close to this:

Cool ----------|-------/\-- Hot

His stronger starting stats were in cornering and braking, with a relatively high initial mental strength. I've only put him in 5 b-spec races, but he has won all of them so far and has been able to correct his oversteer moments pretty well when I've had him pushing. His "accuracy" needs a lot of work--I'm guessing this is what governs how well he hits apexes as well as the smoothness/precision of his braking and throttle inputs, because all of those are pretty rough around the edges, but he gets the job done and maintains good pace up front while keeping his cool. I have no complaints... yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
X-Frame said:

Anything?

Indy 500 is ok if you have the formula GT, but even then its not a guaranteed 'background' race. The Mazda one is pretty foolproof if you have the top mazda and tune it.

I'm not sure if any of the later ones are foolproof but I'll see. TBH after Indy they all pay roughly similar amounts, its just different durations. So once you get to Tsukuba 9hr, thats handy simply because it takes 9hrs, so its a good overnight race. Indy 500 is about 2.5 hrs in the formula GT, suzuka 1000km about 4.5

darkwing

gaaaah this game reallys needs a Save Game feature in a middle of a series, this is 2010's not the 2000's, if only to negate a no replay 'feature'

X-Frame

gutterboy44 said:

O.Goh: I am feeling down.
Me: Why?
O.Goh: No reason.
Me: Is it because I haven’t used you in a while
O.Goh: Kind of.
Me: Does winning make you feel better?
O.Goh: Sometimes, doesn’t really matter.
Me: Ok fuck this, who else is up for the races?
I.Pope: Oh me,me,me. Quick question, does my forehead feel hot coach?
L.Bean: I am good to go as well coach, just need to shake these chills. Anyone else cold?
Me: What the fuck is with you lot!? You’re like a bunch of menopausal women.
B.Tran: I am a woman coach.
Me: What! My bad B.Tran, you never take off that helmet and I just assumed you were a man. How about you take the wheel today, let me make it up to you.
B.Tran: Thanks coach! I won’t let you down. It is a 300hp average sedan race with unrestricted tires. What do you think I should grab from the garage? The STI? The Focus?
Me: Um, nah why don’t you take out the Minolta
B.Tran: Really? That seems a bit much. I think I can handle the competition with the STI.
Me: Take the Minolta, trust me.
*The race begins*
Me: Overtake!
B.Tran: Whoops, rear ended N.Soto, my bad.
Me: Ok, no problem, shake it off, overtake!
B.Tran: It is hot in here, I think I am going to hang back a little. Oh, this guy is next to me, better slow down. Or should I pass him? I am not sure. I need some advice coach. This racing thing is just so darn confusing sometimes.
Me: Overtake!!! You literally have four times the horse power FFS!
B.Tran: Wow these turns sure are scary, but I seem to do well on the straights! They aren’t even close to me after that last lap.
Me: Yeah yeah, good job just keep your head in the game.
B.Tran: I am gonna just roll down the windows and cool off a bit, is that ok coach?
Me: You’re in a god damn race! What do you mean cool off?! You are a disgrace to the sport of racing, pace up you chicken shit! I am going to go make a stiff drink and try to forget the tremendous disappointment you and your teammates are to me. If you don’t hear anything from me, just remember you are in a race and should maintain a fast pace no matter what.
*Radio goes silent followed by muffled cursing in the distance and an uncorking of a bottle*
B.Tran: Coach? Coach? Should I slow down? I am coming up on these lapped cars and it is making me really mad. So mad I could just, whoops! Went a little wide there, let me just steer her back on the road, Whoops! went off on the other side. If I could just get her going strai... Oh no! all of the other cars! Ok, I think it is best to just sit here politely until they all pass.
*Gunshot echoes across the radio, followed by a loud thud*
B.Tran: Coach?
I can't even begin to tell you how much I cracked up reading this. "So true!" is an understatement!!

Hahaha.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so Mini is german in the game ( guess that right thing since it's belong to BMW now ) but Lotus still British and not Malaysian..Why ?

darkwing

Totobeni said:
so Mini is german in the game ( guess that right thing since it's belong to BMW now ) but Lotus still British and not Malaysian..Why ?

so many whys in this game, that's just a minor one, a major one is why isn't there a qualifying lap in single player but in online, you can set the player placement (slowest first/last)

Top Bottom