• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Grayman said:
does it happen at all speeds? my driving force pro got really shaky in GT5 and 5p, especially if I was using 180 degree lock for racing cars.

not sure.

i will have to test at low speed but this is something which never happened with the f12007 in prologue. the car just sinks and shakes violently while it's in the bugged area.

Any particular reason the Audi R10 is so slow in endurance races? It pretty much always comes last whenever I see it... surely it should be one of the quickest cars in the game for endurance?

dwebo

Psychotext said:
Any particular reason the Audi R10 is so slow in endurance races? It pretty much always comes last whenever I see it... surely it should be one of the quickest cars in the game for endurance?
Even in the first few events with low hp competitors?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
weekend_warrior said:
Not when you don't have to do anything to win. :lol

The racing game I don't have to play..? I mean really? I get what you're saying. You can have the game grind money for you so your a-spec/whatever else you're doing life is easier. But that doesn't erase the fact that one giant chunk of the single player experience is a mode you don't even play. And it's not just money locked in there, it's also car rewards, experience, and trophies. If it was JUST a supplemental mode to grind some money for you - fine - but it's not. And if if there was a way to just..skip..the whole race and see the results quickly it might be manageable. But telling me to leave my PS3 on for days is required for my progression in this game? Seriously?

dwebo said:
Even in the first few events with low hp competitors?
No idea, I'm talking about ones like the Indy 500. I'm seeing it lose (and heavily, it's currently 9 laps down on some of the other competitors) vs cars that it utterly smoked in the real world.

Maybe it just doesn't play nice on ovals.

UFRA

Well, I finally got my Ticket 1000. I'm at 186 wins and 4,458 miles driven.

I know that it counts licenses and special events as wins, so technically this is for getting 100 race completions, and that's why it seems like it wasn't working right.

Anyways, enough beating around the bush...I received...

*drumroll*

A PREMIUM
Spoon Civic CR-Z...at least it's premium and not a Fiat 500!!
:D

For the new page

6XprZ.png

You can now register to participate in the NEOGAF GT5 Racing League!

You can visit the Official Thread with all the updated rules and you can register into the league through this Registration Form

also

TDVSf.jpg

The NeoGAFer in a Reasonably Priced Car event also started, you can read all the rules on the second post of the OT. The car for this month is the Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95 for 14,600 Credits.

We've only had 5 participants so far... common guys, lets get that board filled with names.

dQ8uk.png

2Invu.png
lKuQ7.png

8z5K6.png
5HI2i.png

EmB2l.png
WlTh9.png

DRCKT.png
6Rmbs.png

xMc80.png
3QmGQ.png

sport truck series @ Daytona can eat glass. This shit is ridiculous.

edit: STOP BRAKING BEFORE THE FINISH LINE! !! FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Melfice7

Grayman said:
grind grind grind. why did level 20 only give me 2 new races worth about a tenth of the xp needed to get to level 21?

Yup absolutely retarded.. we need online xp & money like yesterday

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally hit lv 31 in a-spec mode, I don't want to know how long it's going to take to get from lv 39 to 40...

worldrevolution said:
The racing game I don't have to play..? I mean really? I get what you're saying. You can have the game grind money for you so your a-spec/whatever else you're doing life is easier. But that doesn't erase the fact that one giant chunk of the single player experience is a mode you don't even play. And it's not just money locked in there, it's also car rewards, experience, and trophies. If it was JUST a supplemental mode to grind some money for you - fine - but it's not. And if if there was a way to just..skip..the whole race and see the results quickly it might be manageable. But telling me to leave my PS3 on for days is required for my progression in this game? Seriously?

Exactly. B-spec was ok when it was an OPTION. Making an integral part of the single player experience is bullshit.

Just found out my driver can´t wint the amarican level 23 races with a Nascar... somebody hold me please, i think i´m gonna shoot him.

Juicy Bob

gutterboy44 said:
A dramatic interpretation of my interaction with my B Spec driving team.

Me: Alright lads, today is a massive day. We have three events left in the championship, let’s go out and win them all! O.Goh, what’s wrong?
O.Goh: I am feeling down.
Me: Why?
O.Goh: No reason.
Me: Is it because I haven’t used you in a while
O.Goh: Kind of.
Me: Does winning make you feel better?
O.Goh: Sometimes, doesn’t really matter.
Me: Ok fuck this, who else is up for the races?
I.Pope: Oh me,me,me. Quick question, does my forehead feel hot coach?
L.Bean: I am good to go as well coach, just need to shake these chills. Anyone else cold?
Me: What the fuck is with you lot!? You’re like a bunch of menopausal women.
B.Tran: I am a woman coach.
Me: What! My bad B.Tran, you never take off that helmet and I just assumed you were a man. How about you take the wheel today, let me make it up to you.
B.Tran: Thanks coach! I won’t let you down. It is a 300hp average sedan race with unrestricted tires. What do you think I should grab from the garage? The STI? The Focus?
Me: Um, nah why don’t you take out the Minolta
B.Tran: Really? That seems a bit much. I think I can handle the competition with the STI.
Me: Take the Minolta, trust me.
*The race begins*
Me: Overtake!
B.Tran: Whoops, rear ended N.Soto, my bad.
Me: Ok, no problem, shake it off, overtake!
B.Tran: It is hot in here, I think I am going to hang back a little. Oh, this guy is next to me, better slow down. Or should I pass him? I am not sure. I need some advice coach. This racing thing is just so darn confusing sometimes.
Me: Overtake!!! You literally have four times the horse power FFS!
B.Tran: Wow these turns sure are scary, but I seem to do well on the straights! They aren’t even close to me after that last lap.
Me: Yeah yeah, good job just keep your head in the game.
B.Tran: I am gonna just roll down the windows and cool off a bit, is that ok coach?
Me: You’re in a god damn race! What do you mean cool off?! You are a disgrace to the sport of racing, pace up you chicken shit! I am going to go make a stiff drink and try to forget the tremendous disappointment you and your teammates are to me. If you don’t hear anything from me, just remember you are in a race and should maintain a fast pace no matter what.
*Radio goes silent followed by muffled cursing in the distance and an uncorking of a bottle*
B.Tran: Coach? Coach? Should I slow down? I am coming up on these lapped cars and it is making me really mad. So mad I could just, whoops! Went a little wide there, let me just steer her back on the road, Whoops! went off on the other side. If I could just get her going strai... Oh no! all of the other cars! Ok, I think it is best to just sit here politely until they all pass.
*Gunshot echoes across the radio, followed by a loud thud*
B.Tran: Coach?
a4XHV.jpg

pYzUJ.jpg

nPlHQ.jpg

mMKh1.jpg

58S3C.jpg

IA 10 is the worst shit I've encountered in the game thus far...

Opponents bumpin into you left and right, but if you just slightly touch them: DISQUALIFIED!

Patrick Bateman said:
IA 10 is the worst shit I've encountered in the game thus far...

Opponents bumpin into you left and right, but if you just slightly touch them: DISQUALIFIED!

That was a tough one, it's the first corner that's tough to get right. So many restarts.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Anyone done the Redbull X1 challenge with DS3?
I ve been struggling on this for two days, if it is achievable, any tips?
my best lap time on Nurburgring GP was 1:08:XX

Finally unlocked Nordschleiffe after the AMG Intermediate events.

Hot damn. This game has been love and hate for me, but endless laps of Nordschleiffe, at long last, with this driving engine, is just the greatest thing ever. Worth the price of admission alone for me :)

Now I just need some more cars...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I just had a GT moment yesterday when I finally fiddled around with the course maker. Toscana at night, did a random track, saved it and did an A-spec race on it...and it was really, really intense.

If we earned money/experience- even just a sliver by doing custom track races- I would play that mode non-stop. I still just might do that. :D

chubigans said:
If we earned money/experience- even just a sliver by doing custom track races- I would play that mode non-stop. I still just might do that. :D
Same here. Time trials and custom courses for the win.

So, why can't I race Nurburgring at night in Arcade or Practice Mode, but I can in the lounge? Please tell me I'm missing something because I can't fathom why that'd be limited.

I'm strictly an offline racer. Am I screwed?

NullPointer said:
Same here. Time trials and custom courses for the win.

So, why can't I race Nurburgring at night in Arcade or Practice Mode, but I can in the lounge? Please tell me I'm missing something because I can't fathom why that'd be limited.

I'm strictly an offline racer. Am I screwed?

I believe you have to unlock it.

weekend_warrior said:
I believe you have to unlock it.
Aha! Then there is hope. Just found this:

random forum post on the intrawebs said:
Bronze the intermediate AMG challenge for Nordschliefe, Silver it for the 24 hour version (Norschsliefe and GP track combined) and Gold it for the 24 hour version with weather and time
Looks like my endless laps will eventually pay off. Nice :)

dwebo

NullPointer said:
Aha! Then there is hope. Just found this:

Looks like my endless laps will eventually pay off. Nice :)
I wouldn't get your hopes up. The default Ring you get from bronzes has weather/time, and you can't change either (or on any other time/weather course for that matter). I imagine what you get for gold will be the same, only on the alternate track configuration. PD needs to add that stuff to arcade/practice ASAP.

Just don't invite any people to your lounge and pretend it's singleplayer :lol

dwebo said:
Just don't invite any people to your lounge and pretend it's singleplayer :lol
I just did this, and the night time driving on Nordschleiffe felt, weird. Like, lower framerate and sluggish controls weird. Either I'm nuts (a possibility, sure), or the night time effects aren't optimized on Nurburgring, or the lounge carries its own overhead even if its just you doing a test drive alone.

Daytime is flawless, and the best example of Nordschleiffe I've played to date. You can feel, everything.

Arex

Yeah they need to add the track options to the arcade/timetrial and practice, I wonder why they didn't do that in the first place. I'm not always online :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
mrklaw said:
Dash Kappei said:
One thing:
GT5 is heaps and bounds above any other racer I've ever tried with a gamepad.
It's exhilarating.

That being said, I have a G27 wheel, and the feel of the game is too distinctive between the two. I mean they're two different game, handling wise.
Even with all the assists off, there's too many "hidden" aims that are going on, sometimes it borders on arcadey (only when compared with the wheel handling of course), let alone simulation. This, besides some particular tracks, puts wheel users to disadvantage... it's a fact. I'd never pass on the wheel experience to cut a few .ms, but why make it so uneven when the fight would normally be fair, depending on tracks, with DS3= fast cornerning/chicanes and wheel=feeling the torque/tires; I'm a decent driver with the wheel, I do not lack experience, but the small time I gave to the patents saw me have a few tries to get silvers, while with the pad every friggin try was a gold.
Agree wholeheartedly with dash kappei on the DS3/wheel thing. I'm having a lot of fun with both. The stability of the DS3 is welcomed on the bumpy straights of le mans, and the quick counter steering for rally. But the finesse of the wheel for more flowing tracks, and also the general feedback

You and me both buddy. DS3's awesome with this game, blew me away.
What wheel do you have?
I'm actually despising Kaz more and more by the day:
He added support for the new $500 T500RS Wheel the in 1.02 update and still nothing (as he had promised) for Logitech G27.
WHAT THE FUCK.

I mean, forget about having control of the windshield-wipers or other minor things (and not-so minor like loading Ghosts), but not having control over button's placement of handbrake (rally events are not as fun as they could obviously) and ESPECIALLY the R-GEAR (when I'm not using the H-shifter) is ruining the enjoyment of the game for me. I mean, if by whatever chance I have a little bump on a wall and get stuck... it's all over, unless I have at least 10/15 seconds of margin on the opponents then I'm going to get last in the race.

And again, H-shifter and clutch pedal are completely broken.
Someone told me it was the same in Prologue but it's fucking bonkers, I know I'm going to be slower than 99% of racers using sequential or paddles, but at least fucking let me change the gear in doable manner.

Dash Kappei said:
You and me both buddy. DS3's awesome with this game, blew me away.
What wheel do you have?
I'm actually despising Kaz more and more by the day:
He added support for the new $500 T500RS Wheel the in 1.02 update and still nothing (as he had promised) for Logitech G27.
WHAT THE FUCK.

I mean, forget about having control of the windshield-wipers or other minor things (and not-so minor like loading Ghosts), but not having control over button's placement of handbrake (rally events are not as fun as they could obviously) and ESPECIALLY the R-GEAR (when I'm not using the H-shifter) is ruining the enjoyment of the game for me. I mean, if by whatever chance I have a little bump on a wall and get stuck... it's all over, unless I have at least 10/15 seconds of margin on the opponents then I'm going to get last in the race.

And again, H-shifter and clutch pedal are completely broken.
Someone told me it was the same in Prologue but it's fucking bonkers, I know I'm going to be slower than 99% of racers using sequential or paddles, but at least fucking let me change the gear in doable manner.

Is this just with the G27 or all wheels?

Dash Kappei

I'd love to get in the Racing League,
I'm clueless about tuning and I'm also team-less.
I'm a decent driver and I might give you some gratification if any of you guys takes me under his wing :p
Being clueless about tuning I might be you IRL B-spec driver, think about that :lol :lol

Anyway, I left that Truck event aside since now, and I need one? Anybody can lend me one for a couple of days? Pretty please? :)

PSN ID: DashKap

Dash Kappei

flyinpiranha said:
Is this just with the G27 or all wheels?

Just the G27 as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure about the Fanatec but I think it work with the Fanatec if you change the buttons on the DFP settings.
If you mean the clutch/H-shifter screw up, then YES, it's how the game's set-up so it doesn't get better with any wheel having an H-shifter and clutch pedal.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Had my Birthday Car come up just now. To my sadness, it goes with a car from the year you were born.

Hello Autobianchi A112 1979!

1979_Autobianchi_A112_Abarth_Lancia_Front_1.jpg

:/

Yeah, at some point I might try the Birthday Trick...

Just got this, does everyone get that cockpit shake thing going on? and im on standard cockpit view but alot of cars i only see the top of the steering wheel it this normal or have i fucked up the screen calibration bit at the start thanks.

UFRA

supermackem said:
Just got this, does everyone get that cockpit shake thing going on? and im on standard cockpit view but alot of cars i only see the top of the steering wheel it this normal or have i fucked up the screen calibration bit at the start thanks.

Yes the shaking is normal, you can't do anything about that.

As for seeing only the top of the steering wheel, you might have the view set to zoom or extra zoom. When you're driving a car, press start. Go to the Quick Options menu in the pause screen. Check to see what your view is set to. It should be "wide" for the most viewing area.

FYI none of the cockpit views will show the entire steering wheel, so don't expect that. You should generally see about the top half of the steering wheel, and all of the instrument panel in most cars when the view is set to "wide".

UFRA said:
Yes the shaking is normal, you can't do anything about that.

As for seeing only the top of the steering wheel, you might have the view set to zoom or extra zoom. When you're driving a car, press start. Go to the Quick Options menu in the pause screen. Check to see what your view is set to. It should be "wide" for the most viewing area.

FYI none of the cockpit views will show the entire steering wheel, so don't expect that. You should generally see about the top half of the steering wheel, and all of the instrument panel in most cars when the view is set to "wide".

Yeah i have it on standard i think it is, then there is narrow and even more narrow heheh.

UFRA

supermackem said:
Yeah i have it on standard i think it is, then there is narrow and even more narrow heheh.

Ok yeah, so you have it on the right setting.

What about your TV? What size/resolution is it?

Did you go into the main game options in the main menu screen and check to make sure your screen settings are correct?

Dash Kappei

supermackem said:

It's normal, it's better this way imo since at least every camera in-car was set-up ad-hoc by the dev-team. Most racing games have sometimes fucked up cockpit view 'cause thet render the camera in exactly the same positions for every car, thus making some of them very difficult to drive with.

UFRA said:

That wouldn't make any difference.
However big his tv is and whatever rez the tv sports (SD, 720p, 1080p, etc) doesn't have an impact on the visibile area in-games.

Dead Man

Long post incoming...

seattle6418 said:
Great summary

gutterboy44 said:
Another great summary
Glad it's not just me who is baffled. I agree, amazing driving, but bad game design.

gutterboy44 said:
Oh god, watching your B Spec drive NASCAR at Indy is like watching your daughter drown in a kiddie pool of her own tears while a bunny rabbit gets euthanized with intravenous habanero sauce... But only more painful to watch.
:lol

:(
AndyD said:
Hm, after B-specing for a while, I have a question/suggestion.

When watching the live timers, why don't we have a way to look at times for past laps? Or at least color code sector times to indicate better/worse/best vs previous lap?

I like leaving Beckenbauer alone until his times start slipping, then I give him an earful and he picks it up. It would be nice to color code the split times purple/yellow/green/white like all racing disciplines so we can get an idea if he is slacking, maintaining or getting better.

And also maybe customize the right side display from names/cars to current laps/splits vs all previous laps for the driver.
B SPec in general is missing a lot of good info. Updating gaps at sector splits, no tyre or fuel info on the timing screen, having to leave the screen to hilight a different driver, no colour coding of drivers on the map, just shit all round. B Spec just highlights every flaw in this game to me. And just let me set a level for him to drive at, don't make me baby sit this shit arse driver!! What was wrong with the system in GT4?!!!!!!

evil_as_skeletor said:
^^^
ha ha ha, yeah no shit!

Also I might add a fourth:

4. Save option for tunes (which are limited adjustment-wise anyway), so you know what gearing to use for all tracks. If there is no practice/ qualifying, then give us this option!
God yes, this too.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love this game. There so so elements in GT5, but when it's good, it's glorious. My GOTY by a long mile :)

UFRA said:

Did you go into the main game options in the main menu screen and check to make sure your screen settings are correct?

Yeah i think its setup right, put the arrows to the corners of my tv.

Top Bottom