• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TTG

RX-7 race was another pushover. Only the Fiat at Tsukuba has put up a fight so far. Next up, my plum crazy Dodge wages battle!

dwebo

Did they make dirt driving easier or something? I just went back to try the Loeb rally challenges after a few week break and golded the first two within a few tries each. I had way more trouble with these last time...

The patch fixes everything for everyone! :lol

TTG

dwebo said:
Did they make dirt driving easier or something? I just went back to try the Loeb rally challenges after a few week break and golded the first two within a few tries each. I had way more trouble with these last time...

The patch fixes everything for everyone! :lol

This patch is the greatest thing ever. Every time I go back to the main screen now, I take a close look at it, wondering where else they can fit in new icons for shit. :lol I think I see one more empty space!

MMaRsu

Guys how do I purchase the Kusabi Concept 03? Wanna buy it because I want to use for it for the seasonal time trial event..

And did the patch make some races easier? Or did I just get better in one night magically ( or because I changed to soft racing tires instead of hard ) because I just golded the tuned car championship and the muscle car championships :lol

CozMick

Banned
Just received 6 Museum cards and 6 Paint colours (It's 00:44am)

So did PD make these items increase by 1 for each consecutive day you play?

I hope so :D

dwebo

CozMick said:
Just received 6 Museum cards and 6 Paint colours (It's 00:44am)

So did PD make these items increase by 1 for each consecutive day you play?

I hope so :D
Bah got my 5 cards late last night so I didn't get paints after I patched. :'(

MMaRsu said:
So uhmm what are these museum cards and how do I use them? Never used any since I got the game..
Just open up the museum icon and they'll be there.

TTG

customizable trans is not something Polyphony thought of when they were designing the Charger at Indi event. Sailing by at 150+ as the other cars are doing 100-110 :lol

avaya

F2007 is woefully low on power vs the real thing. Should be in the region of 850-900bhp. F10 is 750bph.

I thought they'd fix it from prologue but they haven't.

Also the game must assume that the driver weighs something, the F2007 coming in at 545kg is 60kg below 605kg driver + car minimum weight.

anddo0

TTG said:
RX-7 race was another pushover. Only the Fiat at Tsukuba has put up a fight so far. Next up, my plum crazy Dodge wages battle!

I've only been able to gold Tokyo so far. I'm fine with that, going to Indy now, the final of the races.

MMaRsu

Goddamnit I just can't win the Special Stage Route 5 event :(I bought the GTR-V, got the engine maxed as for as I could, same with the weight ( although it's still above the allowed requirements ) and I come in second each time. The car in front just has too big of a lead on me.. I can get into second place by the end of the fourth lap, and then there's not enough time :\

Boogat

eternal prize said:
Damnit, can't join the season events cause i'm canadian.

wtf.
What? I'm using a canadian PSN and I can join them? You sure you didn't try to join the GTAcademy option? It wont let you enter that unless you have a US PSN.

UFRA

Whew, I did a quick race online - 10 laps on Daytona speedway - with a car of mine that had only 1.9 miles on it.

I finished the race, and then went back to my single player garage and was happy to see that the mileage did NOT count towards my car's total. It was still at 1.9 miles. :D

However, in my profile, it did add the X amount of miles I drove in the race to my total miles driven. Pretty cool.

Now I know I can still goof around and have fun online without any consequences towards my cars. I was really worried the update would change that. :/

dwebo

I don't remember what cars I was using for intermediate and advanced gravel before, but compared to them, these WRC cars are absolutely godly. Either that, or they toned down the AI some, since I'm golding them easily now and I could barely bronze before. :lol

edit: or they really did make dirt driving easier

TTG

anddo0 said:
I've only been able to gold Tokyo so far. I'm fine with that, going to Indy now, the final of the races.

OK, since I'm done with all 5(epic gaming session over :lol ) Let's review:

Fiat 500 at Tsukuba - toughest race out of all 5. I upgraded a couple of things on the car, but the most important is the trans! I bought the cheapo close gear version first thinking I could save some money, ended up with the full 15k model later(it's probably doable with just the close ratio 5 speed, but whatever). Turned it all the way down, that seemed to bring some life to that 64hp engine. Just find what turn you're gonna take what gear in(only difference from the suggested was I stayed in third on the first hairpin) and make your way through the field. You should have more than a lap to overtake the lead car. There's no DQ so you could always push him the hell out of the way.

CR-Z in Tokyo - Very easy, don't remember what mods I had. I was still reeling from Tsukuba, I think I overdid it with this car, a little. Was in first by the end of the 3rd lap. Biggest section here is the last, long chicane thing before you head up hill. AI spazzes out to brake, all you need to do is lift slightly. Probably a full second advantage in that one corner.

RX7 in Deep Forest - Again, very easy. Only obstacle is that the RX-7 is tail happy. So just find the limit on the grip and navigate your way around.

Dodge Challenger at Indy - key is the adjustable trans. Crank it way up and the Dodge will go over 150mph on the oval. Easy and fun because that thing is a boat.

GT-R at SS5 - I bought a Spec-V just for the occasion. :lol My original GT-R was way overpowered. Felt like Polyphony was making a statement with this race. Lowly GT-R passing 10(wtf is the is-f doing there?) supercars on the way to victory. Just a matter of knowing the course... and obviously there's a license test there, if I remember correctly, so that shouldn't be a problem. Full weight reduction and the right tires!

All 5 races combine for over 2mil and a big chunk going from 26 to 27. If they keep releasing these, maybe I will make it to 30 someday. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, what level is that Indy race at? I want to grind the 3 million for the Formula GT while I have the chance to get fast cash for it.

MMaRsu

TTG said:
OK, since I'm done with all 5(epic gaming session over :lol ) Let's review:

Fiat 500 at Tsukuba - toughest race out of all 5. I upgraded a couple of things on the car, but the most important is the trans! I bought the cheapo close gear version first thinking I could save some money, ended up with the full 15k model later(it's probably doable with just the close ratio 5 speed, but whatever). Turned it all the way down, that seemed to bring some life to that 64hp engine. Just find what turn you're gonna take what gear in(only difference from the suggested was I stayed in third on the first hairpin) and make your way through the field. You should have more than a lap to overtake the lead car. There's no DQ so you could always push him the hell out of the way.

CR-Z in Tokyo - Very easy, don't remember what mods I had. I was still reeling from Tsukuba, I think I overdid it with this car, a little. Was in first by the end of the 3rd lap. Biggest section here is the last, long chicane thing before you head up hill. AI spazzes out to brake, all you need to do is lift slightly. Probably a full second advantage in that one corner.

RX7 in Deep Forest - Again, very easy. Only obstacle is that the RX-7 is tail happy. So just find the limit on the grip and navigate your way around.

Dodge Challenger at Indy - key is the adjustable trans. Crank it way up and the Dodge will go over 150mph on the oval. Easy and fun because that thing is a boat.

GT-R at SS5 - I bought a Spec-V just for the occasion. :lol My original GT-R was way overpowered. Felt like Polyphony was making a statement with this race. Lowly GT-R passing 10(wtf is the is-f doing there?) supercars on the way to victory. Just a matter of knowing the course... and obviously there's a license test there, if I remember correctly, so that shouldn't be a problem. Full weight reduction and the right tires!

All 5 races combine for over 2mil and a big chunk going from 26 to 27. If they keep releasing these, maybe I will make it to 30 someday. :lol

I had the full weight reduction and the soft tires and can't finish above second :(

TTG

MMaRsu said:
I had the full weight reduction and the soft tires and can't finish above second :(

All I can think of is maybe you should lift going into turn 1? That way you don't have to take the risk of slamming on the brakes going from 6th gear into the long ass left hander in 3rd? That transition can be a little difficult. Also don't get unsettled by the steep curbs before the underpass and just lift(no brakes) in that left-right section where the Alfa will slam into the wall on lap 1. That's really all I can think of.

The SSR5 challenge is killing my hands. Someone said the key to that race is a 1:28 lap time, and the best I can get is a second and a half above that for a second place finish.

brentech

Letting some Bspec run after playing for so long. Figured I might as well get as much XP and money while there is a bonus running.

brentech

TTG said:
What's the difference per race?
Believe the CR bonus is right around double. Give or take.
Never was aware of the exact XP that I was getting, so not sure what bonuses are for it either, but it's noticable.

brentech

This is going to be great. I have a 100% fresh level 0 driver competing in the "Like the Wind" race at Indy. he's easily leading with 6 laps left. Can't wait to see what his XP is like.

X-Frame

Screw it, I'm just going for Silver on each of these events. I feel like I am owning hard until I see a rocket ship 10 seconds in front on each damn event.

Oh well.

sadaiyappan

I finally got my wheel hooked up in India. :D

Now I'm just waiting for my 3G internet card to arrive so I can start playing multiplayer again. The wired broadband I have here has ridiculous ping, makes multiplayer games unplayable for me.

jlevel13

Quick weird question - is there anyway in game to calibrate one's brake pedal? Every since I got this game I've noticed my brake (driving force pro) is super sensitive & I can't find a setting to calibrate / fix it (what I've been doing is leaving the ABS to 1 as otherwise even the lightest tap of the pedal seems to register is something like 50% down)???

edit: pedal works fine in other games

dwebo

Welp, they didn't make the Top Gear intermediate challenge any easier. Finally golded after an hour of yelling at my tv.

Lotus should sue. No one who played that challenge will ever want to buy an Elise. FUCK THAT CAR

edit: and it doesn't even give a premium :lol

jlevel13 said:
Quick weird question - is there anyway in game to calibrate one's brake pedal? Every since I got this game I've noticed my brake (driving force pro) is super sensitive & I can't find a setting to calibrate / fix it (what I've been doing is leaving the ABS to 1 as otherwise even the lightest tap of the pedal seems to register is something like 50% down)???
I think some people use a sponge or tennis ball behind the pedal, or a short bungie cord.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dynamic3 said:
So the GT Academy is live and it's found under 'Seasonal Events'?

Yes. Left most event. You only get a theme and PS Home outfit, apparently. Fuck you, SCEA. >:|

10 second rocketship

That's how I feel about the challenges. Other than the Dodge Challenger, I have yet to catch up with the others, pisses me off.

ok guys.... i'm having a little problem with my rx-7 challenge...

I just changed my exhaust to make hp exactly 204... but I aslo did a oil change, which make my car 207hp at minimum, and I can´t undo the oil change
ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Help please!

jlevel13 said:

edit: pedal works fine in other games
Was mentioned in the simracing review... and no, not currently.

dwebo said:
Welp, they didn't make the Top Gear intermediate challenge any easier. Finally golded after an hour of yelling at my tv.

Lotus should sue. No one who played that challenge will ever want to buy an Elise. FUCK THAT CAR

I think some people use a sponge or tennis ball behind the pedal, or a short bungie cord.

Haha I own an Elise and golding that event made me want to cry irl. My car wouldn't handle as shitty as this car in game does even if I was in the rain and with bald tires. It is one of the most nimble and best handling cars made. Makes no sense at all, even with crap tires it would handle better then most cars would with higher end tires :lol

expy

Banned
asclepio_gtr said:
ok guys.... i'm having a little problem with my rx-7 challenge...

I just changed my exhaust to make hp exactly 204... but I aslo did a oil change, which make my car 207hp at minimum, and I can´t undo the oil change
ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Help please!
You're screwed.
TheSeks said:
Check the GT Academy news for "all those that participate get" news from today.
I don't think Canadians are eligible to register.. =(

Top Bottom