• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

This patch is amazing. Loved the bonus races in seasonal. Golded them all pretty quick though. Can't wait for the next round. I probably won't have time to tackle GT Academy till after Xmas.

On top of all the other little improvements ppl have mentioned I think the sound balancing is much better. The other car engine noises don't seem to drown my out my own engine as much. This update keeps delivering!

jlevel13

Psychotext said:
Was mentioned in the simracing review... and no, not currently.

Thanks, as long as it's not a setting I'm missing, I can deal with it, but I was afraid it was something I might be overlooking buried in a menu somewhere. I think I'll go watch that review too.

offshore

Son of a bitch. About to overtake the Ford on the last corner of SSR7....and then I go and out-brake myself and go careening into the wall :\ First time in about two hours I've got that close.

Also, the Countach. That thing has the turning circle of a moon. I don't know how you won the Historic Cup with it Metalmurphy...I just can't get anywhere close. Although the surprising thing is the Toyota 7 isn't as fast as I thought it would be.

X-Frame

Damn, and here I thought I was a pretty good driver - I only barely Golded the Challenger event. All the others I have Silver so far and no matter how many times I try I can't do any better.

I have until January 5th so I won't give up but I need to take advantage of the increased credits bonus on A/B-Spec too.

dwebo

paskowitz said:
3 hours of play... rank 31 in the east coast. Not good enough.
Hardcore, man. I'm perfectly happy to stop after getting sub-1000, which right now means pretty much just do a lap without crashing or spinning out :lol

edit: alright, needing to clear my cache between each event is pretty annoying

Dynamic3

TheSeks said:
Yes. Left most event. You only get a theme and PS Home outfit, apparently. Fuck you, SCEA. >:|

That's how I feel about the challenges. Other than the Dodge Challenger, I have yet to catch up with the others, pisses me off.

Oh no, it's not showing up for me. Buying the Asian version finally comes back to bite me in the ass.

Any other US owners of the Asian version figure out how to get access to the US GT Academy?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Haven't played GT5 in a week due to Cataclysm, but are these awesome new special events only for a limited time? And these first ones only for 2 weeks? After that they disappear? That's kinda weird. Feels like I'm being rushed. =/

dwebo

The cars they give you for the GT academy time trials get progressively easier to drive. smh

worldrevolution said:
Haven't played GT5 in a week due to Cataclysm, but are these awesome new special events only for a limited time? And these first ones only for 2 weeks? After that they disappear? That's kinda weird. Feels like I'm being rushed. =/
GT Academy Round 1 until 1/24/11 08:59
Bonus Race, Time / Drift Trial until 1/05/11 19:00

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
On top of all the other little improvements ppl have mentioned I think the sound balancing is much better. The other car engine noises don't seem to drown my out my own engine as much. This update keeps delivering!
I assume you use the cabin view? Did you make any sound adjustments, cause I feel like from cabin or bumper the car is too high pitched. Yet from roof or exterior you can hear the nice low rumble. Just me?

theignoramus said:
Also,speaking of Norschleife, was this ever posted?
Nurburgring Nordschleife Gran Turismo 5 vs Real
That video is amazing.

Shaneus

gutterboy44 said:
This patch is amazing. Loved the bonus races in seasonal. Golded them all pretty quick though. Can't wait for the next round. I probably won't have time to tackle GT Academy till after Xmas.

Does seasonal give us moneys as well as XP? I'm desperate for more cash :(

brentech

Shaneus said:
Does seasonal give us moneys as well as XP? I'm desperate for more cash :(
The set of "bonus races" do (and a lot, of both), but the time trials and drift trials don't as of yet. I assume they'll be awarding something based on rank when the time period ends - as they're online leader-board based.

TTG

Put up a time I'm pleased with at the moment in Rome time trial... the online record is damn near 2 full seconds faster. That's insane. I wonder how much of it comes down to what. I can see one clear mistake that must of cost me a half second. I haven't spent much time on the course and I'm playing with a controller, but still. I could see cutting down my time by like a second, beyond that idk what has to be done. :lol

Shaneus

brentech said:
The set of "bonus races" do (and a lot, of both), but the time trials and drift trials don't as of yet. I assume they'll be awarding something based on rank when the time period ends - as they're online leader-board based.
That's the specials (NASCAR, Top Gear etc.) yeah? I've golded the first two stages of NASCAR (so easy with the wheel) but afaik you can't re-do challenges so I think I just have to get better :(

Chris R

Patch of the forever. Seriously, only minor gripe I have with it is the fact that while you can restart in a single button press after a failed attempt to get say gold in a license challenge, your ghost is your SILVER winning attempt :(

Time to try out some of the new online shit since everything else seems to be going along so smoothly. What a shame the game didn't launch like this :(

UFRA

Just golded all the Bonus Events. What a satisfying feeling it was to get more than just a few pennies for a reward for a change. Seeing that 1,000,000 count down into my account was very pleasing. :D

Shit those special event bring the money and exp, for someone that was pretty low i have made some serious cash and went up like 4 levels and thats without golding a single one of them.:lol

TTG

UFRA said:
Just golded all the Bonus Events. What a satisfying feeling it was to get more than just a few pennies for a reward for a change. Seeing that 1,000,000 count down into my account was very pleasing. :D

I hope they keep it going, I might get to see the Red Bull X1 after all!

dwebo

Do the time / drift trials give any sort of credit or xp reward?

Halfway done with the first a-spec endurance race, so time for a nice long break to recover some mental strength. Goddamn, I don't know how people do these. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UFRA said:

I want to borrow your non-Challenge cars, because I can't beat these races with my own. SMH.

expy

Banned
When all else fails with the FIAT, use the last hairpin curve to knock the shit out of 1st place then take the lead. :D

Great patch! Awesome if this is a sign of things to come. As i expected, car leaderboards will only make it in the game after GT Academy.

Finally was able to buy the Formula GT. What a weird car and a long champioship. At least is out of my way now. Maybe tomorrow i can save six hours for the b-spec side of it...

Can´t believe we finally got the HUD less option. Feels so good.

Trying to gold the last event i don´t have on b-spec. (minus Formula GT and Endurances). That stupid Daytona nascar race.

B-spec bob doesn´t know how to block and the race is a lottery. :(

alterno69

Banned
Fuuck i think i played like eight hours today, only reason i stoped is cause i'm too tired after going to bed at 3 am yesterday playing b spec lol. I've put like 15 hours into this game in two days :eek: i have to go on vacation on wednesday and i don't want to leave GT :(

expy

Banned
darkwing said:
thanks, didn't want to purchase that car for just that F1 series alone this early lol
Great car for some endurance races... You can gain a few dozen laps lead, then go do something else while they catch up, then come back and recycle.. :lol

I'm doing the Dream Car Championship in B-Spec and it just started raining in La Sarthe...

Do I equip rain tires or keep using hard? I would put rain tires but I dont want B-Spec driving to pit and put another kind of tire >_<

edit: nvm, put rain tires on. driver doesnt seem to have any plans on pit stopping anytime soon...

Melfice7

halp guys what super gt car should i buy? been trying to find the cockpits for all of them to see which i like best but cant find them all :(

tzare

i played a bit yesterday afterpatch. Didn't notice any tearing in Daytona, and extra cash and XP is great :)
Online time attack events are welcome, but needs to be expanded to every track and car, like in prologue. Btw, is there a way to filter friends' time-attack records?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Had elements of this update been available on day one, GT5 would have scored better. It does remove most of the pet peeves reviewers had with the game.

GT5 could have shipped with only Nürburgring, it would have remained my GOTY. I must have spent 20 hours on this course already, loooove it :D .

Melfice7

There should be a garage shortcut on the tunning shop, its such a pain going back change car then load again etc :\ you listening PD? -.-

Shaneus

Um, this kind of feels like a new game... in a good way. Still kinda pissed that they didn't fit majority of this stuff in at launch (I get pissed when games get patched after release with shit that should've been included/ironed out with any game) but the extras are really, really fucking nice. Custom music in the menus is a goddamned fucking miracle. Now wish I'd turned it on earlier because the first thing I hear in GT Auto is The Entertainer. Win.

Seems like the only way they could finish the game is to release it first and then patch the last bit ;)

Shaneus

Apologies if this has already been noted, but has the patch affected framerates at all, either positively or otherwise? I just raced an event at Suzuka (Supercar Nostalgia Cup, A-Spec) and some of the slowdown completely fucked me... must've been sub-20fps in parts. Don't know if it's just this track (don't think I've raced on here before) but I haven't seen anything this bad in any other events. Going from such a low fps to such a high one in a matter of seconds (it gets back to 60 pretty quick) throws me.

Mush

Melfice7 said:
halp guys what super gt car should i buy? been trying to find the cockpits for all of them to see which i like best but cant find them all :(
ydxwi.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414255

razu

TTG said:
Fiat 500 at Tsukuba - toughest race out of all 5. I upgraded a couple of things on the car, but the most important is the trans! I bought the cheapo close gear version first thinking I could save some money, ended up with the full 15k model later(it's probably doable with just the close ratio 5 speed, but whatever). Turned it all the way down, that seemed to bring some life to that 64hp engine. Just find what turn you're gonna take what gear in(only difference from the suggested was I stayed in third on the first hairpin) and make your way through the field. You should have more than a lap to overtake the lead car. There's no DQ so you could always push him the hell out of the way.

Yep. I set my gears for maximum acceleration, as by default I didn't ever get into 5th gear. I tried to stay in 3rd gear or higher the whole way round. I also put the fully adjustable suspension on, lowered the front by -6 and rear by -4, and increased the anti-roll, up to about 60%, I forget the actual numbers.

Only assist I had on was ABS, set to 1.

Keep lapping in the 1:20s and you should be okay.

My advice would be to make sure you're flinging the car over the red and white stripey kerbs on the fast corners, and slowing down enough for the slow corners. If you go too fast into the hairpins, or get back on the accelerator too early, it takes ages to get round.

I've only tried the Fiat one so far, so I'm liking the talk of it being the hardest race :)

Top Bottom