• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

AndyD

aka andydumi
I had a few minutes last night and did the academy with a controller and got in the top 1000. That has got to be for my sub region or DS3 because there is no way i am that good. At all. I know for certain several spots I could have gained a second or more in each race with a wheel.

Stupid weather forecast! Fuckin thunderstorms today.

Now I dont feel like playing my PS3 all day =/

edit: around here, electricity tends to randomly shut off/turn back on during times like this *sigh*

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Stupid weather forecast! Fuckin thunderstorms today.

Now I dont feel like playing my PS3 all day =/

edit: around here, electricity tends to randomly shut off/turn back on during times like this *sigh*

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019804U8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ordered one last week. Should have had one for my TV and PS3 ages ago. They are so cheap now. Great way to assure clean power and no hard crashes from power outage.

alterno69

Banned
On the road asi type, headed to another state for the holidays. Will be away from the game for a good six days :( at least i can feel a little closer by browsing this aweome OT. Man i feel the urge to play lol i'm so close to golding the F500 now, managed to get silver last night only 2 seconds behind, i know i can take that fucking Audi.

brentech

gutterboy44 said:

Ordered one last week. Should have had one for my TV and PS3 ages ago. They are so cheap now. Great way to assure clean power and no hard crashed from power outage.
ha, pretty sure that's the same exact unit I own and have hooked up to my entertainment center. Have had it since 2007, and it's still going strong.
edit: The one time I thought my battery was dieing, it wasn't, but when I looked up replacement cost, I think it's just as effective to buy a whole new unit. Just some FYI

dwebo

AndyD said:
I had a few minutes last night and did the academy with a controller and got in the top 1000. That has got to be for my sub region or DS3 because there is no way i am that good. At all. I know for certain several spots I could have gained a second or more in each race with a wheel.
Yeah it's definitely just for sub-region, though I think you can filter the leaderboard to show everything. I was getting sub-1000 for each academy trial too, then tried the first regular time trial and was like 8000 something :lol

anddo0

RTS83 said:
Golded the GTR Seasonal Event with 2.8 seconds gap between myself and the GT

Settings:

GTR Spec-V:
EDIT: Racing Wheels as well as Aero Kit
Racing Filter - 492 HP
All 3 Weight Reductions + Carbon Hood + Windows + Chassis Reinforcement: 1362 kg
Full Aero Kit:
-Rear Downforce set to 13
Customizable Transmission:
-Top speed 168
Twin Plate Clutch; Semi-Racing Flywheel; Adjustable LSD (Default settings); Carbon Drive Shaft
Customizable Suspension:
Ride Height: (F) -16; (R) -13
Spring Rate: 14; 10.6
Dampers (E): 4; 5
Dampers (C): 4; 7
AR Bars: 3; 2
Camber: 1.4; 1.3
Toe: 0.00; 0.00 <---- who would have guessed?
Brakes:
4; 7
Sport Softs
-------------------------
Driving Options:
AT
TCS: 3
ASM: Off
SRF: Off
AS: Off
ABS: 1

Just drive the car with those settings. Use your head. I was riding the GT's ass on lap 4 but got a little aggressive in my excitement and took the final turn a bit wide. A bit of throttle control on the straightaway should get you to 165-166. Throttle control on the turns with these settings should allow you to accelerate while hugging the corners.

I could kiss you:D

I beat the GT by 4 seconds (TCS off)

Leunam

What kind of HP boost does the GT-R Spec-V get after it's broken in? I'd hate to be disqualified from entering the seasonal event without getting another crack at it.

AdvanS13

Neo Member
Leunam said:
What kind of HP boost does the GT-R Spec-V get after it's broken in? I'd hate to be disqualified from entering the seasonal event without getting another crack at it.
i did one session 8 times, then next day did about 5 more and it stayed in spec. not sure how long afterwards

dwebo

AdvanS13 said:
the time trial and drift trial, do they serve any purpose other than a leaderboard?
Just e-peen stroking. Would've been nice if they added even a trivial amount of credits/xp, but whatever :-/

Chris R

I can buy the next rank up car with the previous winnings right? Just got Penniless trophy so this will be a nice boost to my bank roll, but only if I can afford to get all the cars I need :(

Silvered the 500 challenge (5 seconds off... here is hoping tweaks/tuning will get me those times) and got 5th on the CR-Z Alpha (took me four laps to get sectors 1&3 down, still kill and love sector 2 :lol ) in a single try before bed last night. Time to tune and crank out some golds I think.

gutterboy44 said:

Ordered one last week. Should have had one for my TV and PS3 ages ago. They are so cheap now. Great way to assure clean power and no hard crashes from power outage.

Is it the same as a voltage stabilizer?

Stabilizers are a must here in Brazil, since the PS3 is 110v and the output is 220v.

Just a transformer is not good enough, so i got one of those big ass 1000w stabilizers to hook up the G25 and the PS3.

I´m always afraid of thunderstorms. Already lost some eletronics because of that.

brentech

seattle6418 said:
Is it the same as a voltage stabilizer?

Stabilizers are a must here in Brazil, since the PS3 is 110v and the output is 220v.

Just a transformer is not good enough, so i got one of those big ass 1000w stabilizers to hook up the G25 and the PS3.

I´m always afraid of thunderstorms. Already lost some eletronics because of that.
UPSs units are good for brown outs and short term power outages. If your power dips or goes out, the batteryh inside of the UPS unit kicks in for a given amount of time (different units have shorter/longer up time). Basically, if the battery has to kick in, the UPS starts beeping, letting you know that you should probably safely quit what you are doing and power any equipment down.

Also acts as a basic surge protector.

AndyD

aka andydumi
dwebo said:
Just e-peen stroking. Would've been nice if they added even a trivial amount of credits/xp, but whatever :-/

They should give out rewards at the end for the top 100, 10,000 and also for participating. That way there is incentive in the future to really try hard.

brentech said:
UPSs units are good for brown outs and short term power outages. If your power dips or goes out, the batteryh inside of the UPS unit kicks in for a given amount of time (different units have shorter/longer up time). Basically, if the battery has to kick in, the UPS starts beeping, letting you know that you should probably safely quit what you are doing and power any equipment down.

Also acts as a basic surge protector.

Yeah I got it for that. If I get a brown out or black out, I want to be able to abandon what I am doing on PS3, save and shut down, aka soft shutdown. And the additional level of surge protection is nice. Most APC UPS's also detect voltage fluctuations and will go to battery if they fluctuate too much and back to normal power when they are stable. Sounds like Seattle has a fairly extreme amount of this.

PjotrStroganov said:
Golding the seasonal events is quite easy when tuned to the max. Try doing it without any tuning. It should be possible.

1209592336676.gif

Presco

Really getting into this game post patch. No hud is amazing and the seasonal events were a great way to get up a few levels and open up some new events.

Won the 62 Buick Special in an A-spec event yesterday. Good god, that thing is a monster. Shits all over the best supercars. Anybody else been using it?

I fucked up the FIAT challenge on the last corner (got too greedy). Tried again, no win again, 1,3 secs behind. Started it once more, drive out in the first corner, got pissed and started taking shortcuts. Result: Victory with 3 seconds to spare :lol

brentech

Finally golded that 2nd event in B-Spec NASCAR championship at Grand Valley.
Set my aero downforce to 5 below front and back maximums and then my transmission at the top speed at 199 (pretty sure).

Kept pressing pace down for the first 4 laps, had about 90% tire still. Used pace on major straights, but still had him pace down during big turns, and used overtake whenever it seemed good. Didn't gain much places until like like 6 (late in it), and then started really working way towards front towards end of 7. Lap 8 I passed the leader midway thru and just kept pacing down on all major turns. Safely won by about 3 seconds.

My car being broken in and with the oil change fix is also at like 892hp though.

Presco said:
Really getting into this game post patch. No hud is amazing and the seasonal events were a great way to get up a few levels and open up some new events.

Won the 62 Buick Special in an A-spec event yesterday. Good god, that thing is a monster. Shits all over the best supercars. Anybody else been using it?
The 62 Special is king of the Drifting Trial in the Seasonal Events, mental car :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
golded the fiat event. So much fun. You can feel yourself refining lines and trying different things out. On previous a-spec races i was guilty of brute forcing it qute a lot. These races make you consider your lines, braking points etc more carefully. And with the Fiat being so slow, you have time to consider your moves

probably won't be able to play again until next week due to the xmas break, but will be straight onto those seasonals

brentech

I started keeping track of my cars last night with a Google Documents spreadsheet that someone from GTPlanet created. Credit to their user "npjester":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...FJJdjlnMUxzRkFLaElDX2c&hl=en&authkey=CLzU2pAL

Column with make / model of every car in game. And then a column for if you own it, a column for how many of it you own, and then another for if it can be racing modified. Able to sort by any number of those.

I added a simple formula at the bottom of # Owned column:
=SUM(F3:F1033)
In order to make sure my in-game profile number = what I have tracked on the sheet.
Has helped a great bit, cause there is a few cars that I've bought used thinking they were cool or cool looking, only to realize that I already did (or won as prize). So I have a few used duplicates that I was unaware of. Now before I buy anything I just do a quick CTRL+F and search it.

edit: Just to clarify, I made of copy of his viewable document and made it on my own account. Pretty sure it's unchangeable how he has it set, but just in case there was any confusion/problems.

kitch9

Banned
Any tips for driving the maxed out Minolta?

I'm struggling to get the power down even with TCS on!! Using a pad by the way with triggers for accelerate and brake. Damn throttle seems to be either on or off with my back end where my front should be.....

Will it wear out soft racing tires in two laps I swear handling goes to pot after that! :lol

-viper-

Banned
The NASCAR handles surprisingly well around corners. Finished the championship easily. B-Spec is a bitch though.

Melfice7 said:
94% of the game complete, 77% trophies, 25.000km driven

O:
where is that website where we can check our stats?

Has anyone else noticed that its easier to damage a car? I took the ace Focus WRC out earlier in Arcade Mode (Mechanic Damage - Off) and the car got bashed up much quicker than I remember before...

darkwing

KennyLinder said:
Has anyone else noticed that its easier to damage a car? I took the ace Focus WRC out earlier in Arcade Mode (Mechanic Damage - Off) and the car got bashed up much quicker than I remember before...

hmm i thought race cars/Nascar cars get (visual) damage more easily

Melfice7 said:
http://i.imgur.com/hAawo.jpg[/MG]

Not planning on doing any more endurances for a while so game progress will stay like that :([/QUOTE]

Damn you. I am not too far behind though.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PVnyV.jpg

Shaneus

UFRA said:
lolz

GameSpot gave their "Best Driving Game of 2010" award to NFS: Hot Pursuit.

SMH

S...M...H
Good. Maybe PD won't be so spotty with their development cycle with kicks in the arse like that.

I'm just glad that review scores won't be retroactively updated after this first major patch so they have some of the shameful numbers staring at them long after launch. I don't want to see another unfinished racing game get released from them.

cilonen

Here's my crew.

8998dc15eb.jpg

'nando's back in my good books as he's started winning DTM races. Taki Inoue's a bit down in the dumps 'cos he's a pay driver and it's his job to grind out laps of Indy, I tried to cheer him up by pointing out no marshals had accidentally run him over yet, but he wasn't having any of it.

Lewis and Ronnie 'Superswede' Peterson are being kept in reserve at the mo.

I've also seen Kankkunen and Vatanen as surnames. Juha and Ari should be joining next time I can be bothered to sit there flipping names until the right initial/surname combo comes up.

cilonen

Shaneus said:
That's what I thought! "Forever" comes to mind. :lol

Every time I've set out to try to get the magical 'A.Senna'. The Senna surname is in the game, just got to get lucky enough to get it with the right initial now :lol

Edit: I've had 'C.Edwards' come up too, but I'd tuned out and already pressed the 'change name' button again and moved on to the next random before I realised.

UFRA

Did they rename the B-Spec driver stat of "Experience" to "Career" or is that pic from another region of the game other than NA?

MMaRsu

I'm gonna have to translate a dutch review I just read today, and I'll post a pic as well. It's ridiculous! I can't believe someone got paid to write that shit.

cilonen

rhfb said:
How do you get new drivers and change their names? I didn't start my bspec so I just have random dude and he is all alone :(

As you go up b-spec levels you get more slots to recruit more drivers. You can 'retire driver' and start over wi a new one at any time (select him from the list and the retire option should come up). Name generation is random, you can hit the middle of the three 'cycle' buttons at the bottom of the driver creation screen to cycle through names; the one on the left cycles through randomly created stats and e one on the right randomly selects an outfit.

I've found 'hot' drivers to be better than cool ones, so I cycle the stats until I get a hot tempered one.

Top Bottom