• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliciel

Majine said:
I like when people post this list and GT PSP "doesn't count" because it either only sold 2 million, was dissapointing or because it wasn't on a console.

On the one hand you are absolutely right, on the other hand I really haven't played GT on PSP and I have to admit that for my personal taste GT is a game that has to be played on a 42" Plasma/LCD what have you TV because it is just a completely different feeling and it contributes to the "GT feeling" of a real driving simulator.

BUt yeah let's count it just to be fair:

GT PSP 1,49m

Ashes

Banned
offshore said:
Well we're currently beating Arsenal...and who'd have thought that :p

ha ha! go Newcastle! And go liverpool!

United fan supporting ya both for a few hours only, so you better appreciate how hard this is.....

Progmetal

voady said:
At this point I find it really hard to forecast sales of GT5. I think that the first weeks will sell GT5 something around 2-3m. But I really can't decide on whether it will sell like 5-8 lifetime sales or 8-14m.

I can't really tell how many people will buy a PS3 for this. On the long run vg is always quite accurate so I'll use these numbers to show you my point:

GT 1: 10,85m
GT 2: 9,37m
GT 3: 14,89m
GT 4 Prologue: 1,36m
GT 4: 10,57m
GT 5 Prologue: 3,95m
GT 5: ?

So on the long run it's really hard but if you ask me it would be a big suprise if it only sells 5m

So Chartzz.com has prologue 1mill less than Sony's numbers?

Eliciel

Progmetal said:
So Chartzz.com has prologue 1mill less than Sony's numbers?

I just recognized this, too when I read a few posts below mine.

I just used the vg numbers so maybe one can say, that the "error of estimation" (bias) is always nearly the same :D , if we consider this assumption to be true then we can say that relatively spoken all numbers have the right "proportions"

:lol :lol :lol

Ashes1396 said:
ha ha! go Newcastle! And go liverpool!

United fan supporting ya both for a few hours only, so you better appreciate how hard this is.....

+1

I never thought I'd see the day I'd support Liverpool, but a draw would be awesome there today :lol

on topic: we still arguing numbers? It will sell what it will sell and it will be bucketloads :D Personally I don't care if it outsells Black Ops or whatever else, I just want to have the bloody game finally in my hands :D

f@luS

More than a member.
voady said:

I just used the vg numbers so maybe one can say, that the "error of estimation" (bias) is always nearly the same :D , if we consider this assumption to be true then we can say that relatively spoken all numbers have the right "proportions"

gt psp is 2m

only official number
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/s02.html

Phatcorns

I love racing games but I've never been able to get into the GT series. Do I just need to give it more time? Because I really do love racing games but I could just never figure out how to play them right. And is a steering wheel required for the real effect?

Eliciel

it would truly suprise me if it only sells 5m. To be brutally honest it would be a shame if it only sells 5m ^^

Torillian

Neo Member
voady said:

but you don't know what portion of those GT5Prologue sales are online which the chartz can't track so being different from Sony shipped numbers on GT5P is just a function of what Sony's numbers mean (online as well as retail) and what the chartz numbers mean (only retail).

Phatcorns said:
I love racing games but I've never been able to get into the GT series. Do I just need to give it more time? Because I really do love racing games but I could just never figure out how to play them right. And is a steering wheel required for the real effect?

You don't need a wheel but it helps out a lot. It gives you more control over the car and the game is just simply more fun with it.

tass0 said:
I hope all you fools are ready to admit defeat when you find out I was right!

9svvoj.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Torillian said:
but you don't know what portion of those GT5Prologue sales are online which the chartz can't track so being different from Sony shipped numbers on GT5P is just a function of what Sony's numbers mean (online as well as retail) and what the chartz numbers mean (only retail).
You have no idea what you are talking about. Drop it while you still can.

Torillian

Neo Member
Chris1964 said:
You have no idea what you are talking about.

what I've said is true, Sony's number do contain online sales which the chartz have no way to track and don't include in their numbers. Which part was false?

LCfiner

Phatcorns said:

what other racing games do you play? sim like games or arcade racers? if it’s the latter, here’s the key to figuring out GT:

brake first, then turn into corner.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Torillian said:
what I've said is true, Sony's number do contain online sales which the chartz have no way to track and don't include in their numbers. Which part was false?
Don't use made up numbers as tracked.

KingDizzi

Banned
Torillian said:

ioi pulls numbers out his arse son and that is the truth of it, I openly admit that I use to visit the site quite a lot however the discrepancy in sales between iois magic number farm and NPD was to say the least hilarious.

Torillian said:

Chris got it spot on so stop trying to defend that shitty site, there is a reason it and the man behind it are banned from Gaf.

edit - eh so your a mod at the site, no wonder you are defending it.

Ashes

Banned
Torillian said:

You're going to take on chris on sales? Well good luck to ya mate...

Torillian

Neo Member
Chris1964 said:
Don't use made up numbers as tracked.

sigh, I am not trying to argue that the Chartz are accurate I am arguing that in this specific case there is a reason for the discrepancy that the poster I was quoting may not have known of and I was letting him know. I'm sure he has a bunch of other times where the Chartz were off but in this specific instance what he is seeing as an error is a difference that is perfectly plausible based on what the two numbers are attempting to convey.

Xater

The thread titles has not been changed again, so I guess we still don't have a release date. What the hell? Remeber when they said we get one by the end of October? Well that didn't happen. Now they printing the copies and they have still no clue when the release is? WTF?

faridmon

Ashes1396 said:
So newcastle won! congrats newcastle fans. Liverpool next.
That is so Off Topic and came out of nowhere :lol

Newcastle are flying high it apears. Liverpool losing would be the next best thiong ever (after GT5) :D

Wazzim

Banned
voady said:
On the one hand you are absolutely right, on the other hand I really haven't played GT on PSP and I have to admit that for my personal taste GT is a game that has to be played on a 42" Plasma/LCD what have you TV because it is just a completely different feeling and it contributes to the "GT feeling" of a real driving simulator.

BUt yeah let's count it just to be fair:

GT PSP 1,49m
Sure because we all had a 42" plasma when GT2 came out!
I don't understand that argument, it reminds me of "LOL comfy couch".

saladine1

A little off topic but need some advice from my American friends.
Which muscle car do you recommend for under $20000 AUD?(Is it even possible?)
Please, help as i'm undecided and need some real world muscle to go with the upcoming virtual one.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Torillian said:
sigh, I am not trying to argue that the Chartz are accurate I am arguing that in this specific case there is a reason for the discrepancy that the poster I was quoting may not have known of and I was letting him know. I'm sure he has a bunch of other times where the Chartz were off but in this specific instance what he is seeing as an error is a difference that is perfectly plausible based on what the two numbers are attempting to convey.
Discrepancy between shipments from Polyphony Digital and fantasy retail sell-through to customers.
Still don't see how that works.

Ashes

Banned
faridmon said:
That is so Off Topic and came out of nowhere :lol

Newcastle are flying high it apears. Liverpool losing would be the next best thiong ever (after GT5) :D

I'm only continuing what others have started. Somebody mentioned an analogy based on results that are happening live. Somebody else was a newcastle fan. So now I'm following that in here, to prove the first poster wrong. It's on topic as much as some of the stuff that been mentioned here. :lol

I'm just following the course of the road, be it prayers in latin, or gaf's cat detective.... :p

faridmon

Ashes1396 said:
I'm only continuing what others have started. Somebody mentioned an analogy based on results that are happening live. Somebody else was a newcastle fan. So now I'm following that in here, to prove the first poster wrong. It's on topic as much as some of the stuff that been mentioned here. :lol

I'm just following the course of the road, be it prayers in latin, or gaf's cat detective.... :p
Oh, ok, I just read the last page and didn't know this threa have become Newcastle Vs Liverpool and Chelsea Vs Liverpool :lol

Does GT5 threads become off-topic like that?

spats

Why do GT sales discussions always turn horrible? Every time it's brought up it turns into a huge dick measuring contest between GT and Modern Warfare or whatever happens to be popular at the time. Awful read.

Did you ever finish the license tests in any past GT game? I'm sure that the GT5 license tests (they're not as tedious as they sound though, I've always found them to be lots of fun) will be more than enough to get you accustomed to the handling and physics. When that's out of the way, you can really start appreciating the game. There's a bit of a threshold but once you get past it you'll hopefully go "oh that's what everybody was on about". :p

Ashes

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Discrepancy between shipments from Polyphony Digital and fantasy retail sell-through to customers.
Still don't see how that works.

lol. I forgot PD has the sales stuff mentioned somewhere on their website... since every online sale is recorded on psn, I guess it's safe to say online sales are inclusive in this shipping figure.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sales talk... yeah.

OH MAH GAWD STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM IS GONNA SELL MOAR THAN GT5 !! TAKE THAT SORNY BOTS!!

I was just looking on Flickr and stumbled across this

JyAQA.jpg

The description of it is "GT5 videos being shown during the party". The party is of course the GT Awards party. So it looks like a new trailer or possible the intro was shown there.

Ashes

Banned
faridmon said:
Oh, ok, I just read the last page and didn't know this threa have become Newcastle Vs Liverpool and Chelsea Vs Liverpool :lol

Does GT5 threads become off-topic like that?

It can go places you can't even imagine. btw if you or anyone else missed it earlier, you should go look up Kagari's excellent link to how blu rays are manufactored. It's interesting to say the least...

Fersis said:
Sales talk... yeah.

OH MAH GAWD STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM IS GONNA SELL MOAR THAN GT5 !! TAKE THAT SORNY BOTS!!

Technically, Strawberry Ice Cream has probably sold more than all video games combined.

SalesAge.

Ashes

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I'm not a huge fan of Strawberry Ice Cream, I'm a chocolate man myself, but I respect the mass appeal it has.

Don't pretend like you don't know what I mean't! :lol
Even if you are in line with Fersis... :D

Carl

Fersis said:
Sales talk... yeah.

SHIPMENTS =/= sales. A lot of that icecream probably melted before people could buy it.

Also, how often do you see adverts for strawberry ice cream? NEVER. Therefore sales will never be that good.

Wazzim said:
Sure because we all had a 42" plasma when GT2 came out!
I don't understand that argument, it reminds me of "LOL comfy couch".

Some games are just better on TV i bought every GT game but GT psp was a joke.
There so many reason why some people who play GT did not buy the psp version .
No wheel support , no GT mode , GFX sucks , don't play portable , big TV .

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Carl said:
SHIPMENTS =/= sales. A lot of that icecream probably melted before people could buy it.

Also, how often do you see adverts for strawberry ice cream? NEVER. Therefore sales will never be that good.
How much strawberry ice cream can you buy with GT5 development budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom