• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
canova said:
you guys are overestimating GT franchise name, while underestimating the power of marketing campaign. (see Kinect marketing)

Within the GT circle the hype maybe at all time high, but outside, no one gives a shit really. There are other products this holiday people can spend their money on
sad

My take after looking at the disc image in Photoshop:

The Playstation branding segment at the bottom is superimposed. First, the disc is clearly tilted relative to the camera, as can be seen from the ellipsoid center hole, and the convergent logos and text. But the text on the brand segment is perfectly horizontal. That point's been brought up in the thread, but I don't believe the next has: the bottom curve of the segment is not smooth but irregularly pitted. This looks very, very much like what you get when you try to freehand the eraser tool in Photoshop to clean up an edge. I don't think it's a printing artifact either; on all my own retail discs this edge is geometrically sharp.

However, I bet the disc itself is real. For one big reason: the text crawl around the disc edge says, in the upper left, "Library programs ©1997-2010 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc." This same notice--with a different terminal date--appeared on the GT5 Prologue disc. It's not something a faker would probably think to fix, and it's also tiny and blurred by camera movement so it would be very difficult to fix.

I think the Photoshop was to cover extra text on the disc, maybe "Review Copy" or "Not for Resale" or "Test Disc" or something like that.

Dead Man

Mush said:
Ahh, GT has been around since 1997, CoD has only been around since 2003.
GT1, 2, 3, 4, 5p. COD1,2,3,4MW,WAW,MW2

Hmm... list warz, but I would still say the advantage goes to COD with more titles.

Salacious Crumb

CoD is a way bigger franchise than GT, anyone who thinks other wise is seriously kidding themselves, and I fucking HATE CoD.

Why was it even brought up?

hirokazu

Liabe Brave said:

The Playstation branding segment at the bottom is superimposed. First, the disc is clearly tilted relative to the camera, as can be seen from the ellipsoid center hole, and the convergent logos and text. But the text on the brand segment is perfectly horizontal. That point's been brought up in the thread, but I don't believe the next has: the bottom curve of the segment is not smooth but irregularly pitted. This looks very, very much like what you get when you try to freehand the eraser tool in Photoshop to clean up an edge. I don't think it's a printing artifact either; on all my own retail discs this edge is geometrically sharp.

However, I bet the disc itself is real. For one big reason: the text crawl around the disc edge says, in the upper left, "Library programs ©1997-2010 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc." This same notice--with a different terminal date--appeared on the GT5 Prologue disc. It's not something a faker would probably think to fix, and it's also tiny and blurred by camera movement so it would be very difficult to fix.

I think the Photoshop was to cover extra text on the disc, maybe "Review Copy" or "Not for Resale" or "Test Disc" or something like that.
Yeah, no I think the whole disc is real.

Dead Man

Salacious Crumb said:
CoD is a way bigger franchise than GT, anyone who thinks other wise is seriously kidding themselves, and I fucking HATE CoD.

Why was it even brought up?
I don't know, something about branding and advertising I think.

Canova

Banned
jambo said:
I think you are underestimating the GT franchise name.

56 million. It's sold more than CoD!

that was when Sony was the only player in town. Back then Sony practically owned the gaming indusry. how big was PS1, PS2 fanbase? how big is PS3 fanbase?

this generation is a different ball game. PS3 has the smallest fanbase. PS3 softwares struggle to sell.

Bottomline is that you can't take franchise name for granted. Sony thought Playstation brand would sell itself, look what happened.

KingDizzi

Banned
Yeah CoD is currently way bigger than GT, Halo, GTA and every other HD franchise by quite the margin. I believe I'm correct in saying MW2 sold than Halo 3 on just the 360 so yeah it's a beast of a franchise, certainly takes a dump on GT and Halo. Not that it matters, the franchises mentioned are still more than big enough to justify huge budgets for every game so meh.

Ashes

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Yeah CoD is currently way bigger than GT, Halo, GTA and every other HD franchise by quite the margin. I believe I'm correct in saying MW2 sold than Halo 3 on just the 360 so yeah it's a beast of a franchise, certainly takes a dump on GT and Halo. Not that it matters, the franchises mentioned are still more than big enough to justify huge budgets for every game so meh.

freakin prologue sold five million copies. That's practically a demo disc.
gt psp sold nearly 2 million on a dead platform, hacked to high heaven and neither reviewed well.

ps it's always easier to sell more on a more dominant platform.

canova said:
this generation is a different ball game. PS3 has the smallest fanbase. PS3 softwares struggle to sell.

Isn't GT5P the second best selling game on the system (only trailing MW2)? That should give you a good idea of how popular it is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SolidSnakex said:
Isn't GT5P the second best selling game on the system (only trailing MW2)? That should give you a good idea of how popular it is.

What about GTAIV?

JaseC said:
What about GTAIV?

I saw a list not too long ago that had GT5P second. It could've been inaccurate though. But the game is still sold nearly 5m units decided being seen as a glorified demo. That speaks volumes about how popular the series is.

KingDizzi

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
freakin prologue sold five million copies. That's practically a demo disc.
gt psp sold nearly 2 million on a dead platform, hacked to high heaven and neither reviewed well.

ps it's always easier to sell more on a more dominant platform.

I'm not saying GT is a weak franchise though, far from it. GT is by far the biggest exclusive franchise the Playstation brand has with GT PSP and Prologue showing that however it still pales in comparison to CoD. MW2 numbers on the PS3 are hardly anything to scoff at, just the PS3 version is most probably the best selling PS3 game so even on the PS3 CoD is an absolute beast. Black Ops is releasing soon and from what we know it's going to be even bigger than MW2 so the franchise continues to gain even more traction! A mainline GT game has not yet released on the PS3 so it might be that additions such as online make the GT brand even stronger but as of now CoD is the number one franchise on HD consoles and dare I say overall.

Sales aside, we should be getting a release date soon if it's releasing next month so here's hoping we get some news next week!

Ashes

Banned
KingDizzi said:
I'm not saying GT is a weak franchise though, far from it. GT is by far the biggest exclusive franchise the Playstation brand has with GT PSP and Prologue showing that however it still pales in comparison to CoD. MW2 numbers on the PS3 are hardly anything to scoff at, just the PS3 version is most probably the best selling PS3 game so even on the PS3 CoD is an absolute beast. Black Ops is releasing soon and from what we know it's going to be even bigger than MW2 so the franchise continues to gain even more traction! A mainline GT game has not yet released on the PS3 so it might be that additions such as online make the GT brand even stronger but as of now CoD is the number one franchise on HD consoles and dare I say overall.

Sales aside, we should be getting a release date soon if it's releasing next month so here's hoping we get some news next week!

By that, I take it that we are in essence agreeing.

Do we also agree that MW2 sold on the basis of MW? and World at War sold well because of MW as well?
I think out the gate, this game with the masses, is going to be huge. But if it reviews like medal of honor, Black ops is not gonna hit ten million. At least in my opinion...

onken

SolidSnakex said:

Doesn't that include all the bundled copies sold in Europe?

Ashes

Banned
Rainier said:
I highly doubt GT5 will hit 10 million either. Smaller base, too many other good games, still a crappy economy.

tbh I didn't even think it would sell 7 million a while ago. But that rumor of seven million blu ray discs needing to be shipped, most likely made up on some forum somewhere, bothered me a bit.

ps. back to cod, MW2 didn't beat halo on x360, did it? but overall it sold over 20 million units iirc.

edit: wiki agrees with me, but anybody got a better source?

@above, the ten million figure is almost double the previous highest selling title, which is probably where the doubt kicks in...

UFRA

This thread is all over the place now.

WHERE IS OUR NEWS?!!?!!!!!!

This game is tearing us apart!!

*cries in corner*

Mush

Rainier said:
I highly doubt GT5 will hit 10 million either. Smaller base, too many other good games, still a crappy economy.
Back when the PS3 was still $399, sure. Now, I think it's highly likely it will hit that mark this gen.

UFRA said:

*cries in corner*

It's the weekend so we probably won't get anything during it. The best that we can really hope for is that Jeff will hint at something in tomorrow's PSblog update.

UFRA

SolidSnakex said:
It's the weekend so we probably won't get anything during it. The best that we can really hope for is that Jeff will hint at something in tomorrow's PSblog update.

Yeah, I was just more or less venting that this "10-12 hour" thing never turned out. :(

I went to sleep last night so excited. When I saw this thread today and it only grew like 2 pages I was so disappointed. :lol

dwebo

UFRA said:
Yeah, I was just more or less venting that this "10-12 hour" thing never turned out. :(

I went to sleep last night so excited. When I saw this thread today and it only grew like 2 pages I was so disappointed. :lol
Same here. :(

But fear not! There really are too many independent signs pointing towards an end of month (Nov. 30th NA) release:

- some posters in this thread
- a few on GTplanet
- NASCAR driver
- SEMA report
- Madrid pre-release party
- SonyStyle website
- Shop-to guarantee
- nightly prayers to GT gods
- gut feeling

Keep hope alive! :lol

darkwing

UFRA said:

*cries in corner*

it's a weekend, wait for Monday =P

anyways, anyone counting how many discs have been stamped so far?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
canova said:
that was when Sony was the only player in town. Back then Sony practically owned the gaming indusry. how big was PS1, PS2 fanbase? how big is PS3 fanbase?

Bottomline is that you can't take franchise name for granted. Sony thought Playstation brand would sell itself, look what happened.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Let's see here about the facts.

First we have the Wii who is the "market leader." However, 3rd party games don't sell nearly the same amount as either Xbox360 and PS3 and it's also very valid at this point to question its longevity considering recent numbers.

PS3 has the smallest fanbase and PS3 software struggle to sell? The worldwide difference between the PS3 and Xbox360 is only a few million (as in 3-4 million). When we are talking about 40 million consoles, we are talking about a small lead.

3rd party sells a bit better on Xbox360 in general but PS3 software struggle to sell? That's just not true. Several big franchises have sold more on the PS3 (Final Fantasy XIII) even though I agree Xbox360 for the most part sells more when it comes to multi-platform titles, but then we are not talking astronomical differences.

Gran Turismo Prologue, sold HUGE on PS3 when the PS3 userbase was nowhere near what it is now.

GT5 will sell huge. It probably won't touch Black Ops, but it's going to sell massive amounts and anyone thinking otherwise has a different opinion than me (see what I did there) :p.

Not that any of this really matters to me, I just want to continue to get high quality AAA titles like the Gran Turismo series.

Loudninja

canova said:

People still believe this garbage?

UFRA

darkwing said:
it's a weekend, wait for Monday =P

anyways, anyone counting how many discs have been stamped so far?

As we speak I have 209 Internet Explorer windows open all playing that video of Kaz stamping the discs to the music. Hopefully this is speeding up production.

darkwing

UFRA said:
As we speak I have 209 Internet Explorer windows open all playing that video of Kaz stamping the discs to the music. Hopefully this is speeding up production.

this man has the answer!!!!!

dwebo

Thunderbear said:
Not that any of this really matters to me, I just want to continue to get high quality AAA titles like the Gran Turismo series.
I don't think you need to worry about that. GT5 will sell enough to warrant PD making a GT6, at the speed they want, with the same freedom they've had for the past few years.
For better or worse.

Rainier

dwebo said:
I don't think you need to worry about that. GT5 will sell enough to warrant PD making a GT6, at the speed they want, with the same freedom they've had for the past few years.
For better or worse.
Yup, this is what matters the most.

Ashes

Banned
UFRA said:

This one made me chuckle... :lol

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
my prediction is gt5 will do around 9 million

2 million + in usa,canada,south america
4 million + in pal land
2 million+ in asia

dwebo said:
For better or worse.
With most of the technology set in place, GT6 should be finished and be developed faster than GT5.

Just like the differences between GT3 and GT4. The second game in the generation, gets too focus on other priorities than the previous entry, and is an entirely different development experience.

RustyNails said:
Yeah, what happened? Tell me, I'm interested.

$599 happened. It was the ultimate proof that the name 'PlayStation' does not necessarily give Sony a free pass with consumers. Multiple price cuts, a new model, less circle jerking about Blu-ray and 'momentum', and actually delivering games finally recovered their sinking ship. Circa mid-2007, it was clear it was going the way of the Dreamcast if Sony didn't swallow their pride and take a bigger loss.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the greater discussion at hand - fact is, any recent COD instalment is bigger than GT, but both are typically within 10 million+ territory which is 'good enough' for both parties I guess.

Mush

As a nerd, it may surprise you that I hate anime. No, let me rephrase that; I hate anime. But this car however, is sick/dope/whatever skater lingo you want to put in front of it.

machine.jpg

LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT THE AWESOME!

Seriously, this is the best livery I've seen since the BMW Williams F1 days. Plus, the car itself is not half bad looking either.

I really hope the Super GT Corolla Axio makes it in, along with it's GT300 brethren I posted a while ago.

2010_SUPERGT-Pokka-Suzuka_09.jpg

Forget that full field RB X-1 shit. This is where the awesome is at. GAF could hold a fully fledged Super GT league, complete with both the GT500 AND GT300 classes! (If numbers suffice.)

Metalmurphy, your move.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hope "Going gold" translates to being released soon.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Liabe Brave said:

you guys have way too much time on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom