• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what DLC plans will be for GT5, there was a point a long time ago when PD was thinking of selling cars.

I personally would like GT5 not to have any DLC, but I doubt that will happen considering the development costs.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
$599 happened. It was the ultimate proof that the name 'PlayStation' does not necessarily give Sony a free pass with consumers. Multiple price cuts, a new model, less circle jerking about Blu-ray and 'momentum', and actually delivering games finally recovered their sinking ship. Circa mid-2007, it was clear it was going the way of the Dreamcast if Sony didn't swallow their pride and take a bigger loss.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the greater discussion at hand - fact is, any recent COD instalment is bigger than GT, but both are typically within 10 million+ territory which is 'good enough' for both parties I guess.

I love your hyperbole. Since PS3's launch it has been at parity in HW sales with 360 if you align their launches. the sinking ship was never as drastic as people make it out to be.

Still have to pre-order.

The Collector's Edition is sold out at the store that gives away the pre-order stealth Nissan.:(

Marty Chinn said:
You're forgetting a couple CoD titles.

Finest Hour
Big Red One

And other GT titles.

GT Concept (Tokyo, Tokyo Seoul, Tokyo Geneva), GT4P.

darkwing

SirIgbyCeaser said:
I wonder what DLC plans will be for GT5, there was a point a long time ago when PD was thinking of selling cars.

I personally would like GT5 not to have any DLC, but I doubt that will happen considering the development costs.

obvious would be additional cars

spwolf

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I love your hyperbole. Since PS3's launch it has been at parity in HW sales with 360 if you align their launches. the sinking ship was never as drastic as people make it out to be.

well, ps3 was not supposed to be at parity.

as to the op, dont get led on the thin ice, GT is one of the biggest franchises around, 10 million would be crazy good and not "good enough".

hsukardi

Ashes1396 said:
@above, the ten million figure is almost double the previous highest selling title, which is probably where the doubt kicks in...

Proper Gran Turismo entries have always sold at least 10 million. Not around, at least 10m.

zoukka

Does anyone know the difference between the old Logitech DF Pro and the newer similar "GT" edition? The GT model smells like it's just the same wheel with a bigger price tag...

Mush

zoukka said:
Does anyone know the difference between the old Logitech DF Pro and the newer similar "GT" edition? The GT model smells like it's just the same wheel with a bigger price tag...
-It has a PS button
-It's slightly bigger (wheel size)
-On the fly adjustable dials
-It has a horn

spwolf said:
well, ps3 was not supposed to be at parity.

as to the op, dont get led on the thin ice, GT is one of the biggest franchises around, 10 million would be crazy good and not "good enough".

That's true, but they were never going the way of Sega.

Well it's not like we going to see how much GT 5 going sell any time soon . GT games normally have legs so it's going to take a while .
To bad Sony can't get the price down to 250 or 199 with GT 5 this Xmas it would be huge.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
zoukka said:
I have the DFGT and while not having experience of the Pro it is a top notch wheel.

I think the FFB motor has been improved and is more similar to the G25 rather than the DF Pro which makes a difference. That and the adjustable dial (which GT5 will work with) and the lovely GT logo that lights up (it's also the horn in GT5/P)! Aside from that if you own a Pro it's not really worth upgrading but if you're looking for a wheel, the DFGT is well worth it.

Loudninja

Stop It said:
I have the DFGT and while not having experience of the Pro it is a top notch wheel.

I think the FFB motor has been improved and is more similar to the G25 rather than the DF Pro which makes a difference. That and the adjustable dial (which GT5 will work with) and the lovely GT logo that lights up (it's also the horn in GT5/P)! Aside from that if you own a Pro it's not really worth upgrading but if you're looking for a wheel, the DFGT is well worth it.
I think its nicely price as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015HYPOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

zoukka

Nice thanks, it's actually about 90 euros here, so not the usual 1:1 ripoff shit.

I haven't bought a new game since SCII, so I guess I can splooge on GT5 and start to wait Diablo III :lol

Pandemic said:
Hahahahaha, great image.

Microsoft probably sabotaged the boat. :lol

ussmicrosoft.jpg

:lol

Melfice7

Rainier said:
I highly doubt GT5 will hit 10 million either. Smaller base, too many other good games, still a crappy economy.

GT3 sold a gazilion in 01 with a userbase of 18-20M

why do we still think the userbase actually means anything? gta4 for example.. one of the most popular games, on 2 consoles (pc later too) 80 million userbase, sold 17M or something? what do the rest of users buy? even cod, shouldnt it sell at least 30 million if the userbase means so much? -.-

Senua

Melfice7 said:
GT3 sold a gazilion in 01 with a userbase of 18-20M

why do we still think the userbase actually means anything? gta4 for example.. one of the most popular games, on 2 consoles (pc later too) 80 million userbase, sold 17M or something? what do the rest of users buy? even cod, shouldnt it sell at least 30 million if the userbase means so much? -.-
tbh GT3 was bundled with ps2 in mostly all the bundles i know lots of people that got GT3 with their ps2s but sold it as they didnt like it/thought it was too hard

MrPliskin

Banned
Fender_Uk said:
tbh GT3 was bundled with ps2 in mostly all the bundles i know lots of people that got GT3 with their ps2s but sold it as they didnt like it/thought it was too hard

Oh, you know lots of people then huh?

Welp, I guess that settles it!

Eliciel

I don't know if this is old but Yamauchi said some interesting things in an interview about GT5 and the PS3 Hardware:

"Mit jeder neuen Playstation, wurde die Konsole stärker, aber es ist noch nicht genug. Wir haben Gran Turismo 5 so fehlerfrei und schön gemacht, wie es uns innerhalb dieses abgegrenzten Raumes möglich war - aber natürlich gibt es noch zahlreiche andere Dinge, die wir gerne integrieren würden"

Translation is always hard but something like this. (if someone got a better translation feel free to add)

"With every new Playstation, the console improved it's computing power, but it still isn't enough. Limited by its hardware specifications we have tried to develop Gran Turismo 5 as accurate (concerning realism) and as beautiful as possible, although there are numerous things that we would have liked to implement but simply couldn't because of the hardware limitations.

http://www.videogameszone.de/Gran-Turismo-5-PS3-133781/News/Gran-Turismo-5-Entwickler-beklagt-mangelnde-Playstation-3-Leistung-798103/

Does this imply GT 6 for PS4? ^^

tass0

Banned
hsukardi said:
Proper Gran Turismo entries have always sold at least 10 million. Not around, at least 10m.

Except GT2.

I don't think GT5 will sell that well, maybe 5m if I had to guess...

Eliciel

At this point I find it really hard to forecast sales of GT5. I think that the first weeks will sell GT5 something around 2-3m. But I really can't decide on whether it will sell like 5-8 lifetime sales or 8-14m.

I can't really tell how many people will buy a PS3 for this. On the long run vg is always quite accurate so I'll use these numbers to show you my point:

GT 1: 10,85m
GT 2: 9,37m
GT 3: 14,89m
GT 4 Prologue: 1,36m
GT 4: 10,57m
GT 5 Prologue: 3,95m
GT 5: ?

So on the long run it's really hard but if you ask me it would be a big suprise if it only sells 5m

tass0 said:
I think people may have confused prologue for GT5 and won't like to buy the same thing twice... just a guess.

The only place that might even happen is in NA both Japan and EU had a prologue before .
Still GT 5 will sell 5 million in EU alone might take while but GT has crazy legs.

Still i expect GT 5 to be the best selling game on PS3 for a while .

Willy105 said:
Actually, that may be possible. Don't overestimate the masses.

GT5P wasn't the first Prologue game. There was a GT4 Prologue and even several Concept GT's before the release of GT4. It's currently the second best selling game in the series.

Majine

Banned
voady said:
At this point I find it really hard to forecast sales of GT5. I think that the first weeks will sell GT5 something around 2-3m. But I really can't decide on whether it will sell like 5-8 lifetime sales or 8-14m.

I can't really tell how many people will buy a PS3 for this. On the long run vg is always quite accurate so I'll use these numbers to show you my point:

GT 1: 10,85m
GT 2: 9,37m
GT 3: 14,89m
GT 4 Prologue: 1,36m
GT 4: 10,57m
GT 5 Prologue: 3,95m
GT 5: ?

So on the long run it's really hard but if you ask me it would be a big suprise if it only sells 5m

I like when people post this list and GT PSP "doesn't count" because it either only sold 2 million, was dissapointing or because it wasn't on a console.

BARKSTAR

Banned
I'm guessing GT5 will sell 8-10 milllion copies at least as long as the game lives up to expectations and doesn't end up with dodgy reviews. There are high expectations for the game among gamers and the PS3 community in general and it is going to be huge seller without a shadow of a doubt.

Played the game at a conference a few weeks back and tried it out in both 2D and 3D and have to say it is a pretty gorgeous game and the weather effects are fantastic.

Majine said:
I like when people post this list and GT PSP "doesn't count" because it either only sold 2 million, was dissapointing or because it wasn't on a console.

You can include it if you want. I'm not sure what it would prove aside from how horrendous PSP game sales are currently and that GT fans don't want to play the series on a tiny screen. Most of GTplanet didn't even buy GT PSP and the people that did largely bought it because the cars you earn in it can carry over to GT5.

Majine said:
I never count psp games in with a series. I don't list them GoW or MGS or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom