• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

magawolaz

OTs get moved to the community section after a while. Goldrusher got banned, not sure about his account. Hopefully the ban wasn't permanent and he didn't disable the account on purpose.
I see, thanks.

The first one (Tskukuba) is locked to the 86, the second one (Rome) is a free-for-all under 600 PP.
Yep. Same with Drift Trial: the first one with the 86 and the other with whatever car you want.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Goldrusher posted in a thread that was hit with a massive wide ban on a ton of people. Check out his post history.

It's probably a long ban. :(

Dibbz

New seasonal has the 86-GT at Tsukuba??? Fuck me that should be amazing. Please say it has comfort tyres as a restriction.

shpankey

not an idiot
So I installed all the DLC from XL and did the install from the options menu and my GT5 data is right around 10 gigs is that corrrect?

also you guys said you can force it to play in 720p mode? are you talking about just using the PS3 to do that.

Yes it's done via the PS3 main menu under Display. You can verify it in the options screen inside of GT5 too. It shows the exact display resolution so it does work; and I've noticed it did kill most, if not all, of the non-vsync'd screen tearing in cockpit view and has been ultra butter smooth for me. No hiccups whatsoever, locked 60FPS w/ a nice vsync is so awesome. If you like cockpit view I highly recomend giving it a shot.

P.s. Dayamn this game f'n owns! Soooo happy w/ it right now!! :D

Dibbz

Fuuuuu a 1.11? I'm right behind you MM and I'm using a clutch so I'm probably ahead of you without it :p

6771963365_bf021c26c7_z.jpg

Yes it's done via the PS3 main menu under Display. You can verify it in the options screen inside of GT5 too. It shows the exact display resolution so it does work; and I've noticed it did kill most, if not all, of the non-vsync'd screen tearing in cockpit view and has been ultra butter smooth for me. No hiccups whatsoever, locked 60FPS w/ a nice vsync is so awesome. If you like cockpit view I highly recomend giving it a shot.

P.s. Dayamn this game f'n owns! Soooo happy w/ it right now!! :D

Awesome! thanks for the tip! I will try this tonight when I gt home.

Dibbz

Is there a technical reason why they don't allow some of the cockpit replay cameras in B-Spec?

What do you mean? Are you talking about actual cockpit cam from the drivers perspective or the cameras that are fitted inside cars?

rvy

Banned
What do you mean? Are you talking about actual cockpit cam from the drivers perspective or the cameras that are fitted inside cars?

Cameras fitted inside the car. GT5 makes it hard not to enjoy watching your driver move and B-Spec races are somewhat boring, since you're not doing the driving yourself.

Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of the correct tyre for each car? I.e. the tyre that would come with the car if you were to buy one in real life?

Watevaman

Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of the correct tyre for each car? I.e. the tyre that would come with the car if you were to buy one in real life?

There was one on the ingame guide for GT5:p, but I guess it would be a pain to do it here.

I think the tires that come with the car represent the ideal tire they would have. Higher end sports cars and exotics go with a semi-slick sport tire whereas most average cars go with the comfort style.

Germany is going to have its own GT Academy this year

1st Stage – 16 drivers to be selected through various “live” competitions, including Auto Mobil International in Liepzig, at the Nürburging 24hr race and at Nissan dealers; 16 further drivers selected through online time trials at an Eifel Course Creator circuit

2nd Stage – A 2 day long “finals” tournament at the Nürburgring in July to select 12 finalists

3rd Stage – A 5 day long Boot Camp at Silverstone to select the ultimate winner

The sites also name the judges for the Silverstone final as Ring-Taxi driver and previous GT Academy judge Sabine Schmitz, RJN Motorsports team manager Bob Neville and Nissan works GT1 driver Michael Krumm. The final prize will be, as ever, an intensive race training program in GT4 competition using a Nissan 370Z and then a seat for the 2013 Dubai 24hr race on January 12th and 13th 2013.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-2012-germany/

Pretty amazing to see how big this event has become in just a few years.

amar212

Below is the only *guide* ever released officially, it is from the Japanese manual of GT5:prologue.

Notice it is 100% useful after the Spec 2.0 update of GT5 and I found it very accurate at the current state of affairs.

Left column shows the compound when fitted on *cold* while right column is the value for compound after it reaches the working temperature. Compound types displayed here resembles usual Japanese logic of marking in GT games where N stands stands for Comfort and S for Sports. Numbers *1-2-3* stands for "hard-medium-soft". Thus N2 for example is Comfort Medium.

Another thing to notice is how you can pretty much use this guide to determine proper compound for the majority of car similar to provided examples (due to factors of power/weight/drive <FR/MR/FF/RR>).

Of course, some omissions are possible (by the current logic, N1 compound (Comfort Hard) can be utilised on many small cars with no problem, providing accurate grip of basic universal tires) but this guide is very handy for understanding the basic logic behind the compounds in GT5.

Q602g.png

brentech

I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if they had a an option in the RA function list to turn a car off and on. That way when toying at practice or anywhere else you could hear the startup and see the systems power up within cockpit.

Maybe next time.

That japanese website that usually does framerate analysis did one for 1080pvs720pvs3D

720p Avg:59.527fps Min-Max:47.5-60.0fps Tear:15.208% (14.393%)
1080p Avg:59.010fps Min-Max:46.0-60.0fps Tear:25.426% (24.212%)
3D Avg:38.523fps Min-Max:27.0-47.5fps Tear:30.178% (29.579%)

The average fps and tear kinda tells a lie, because there are some really long and empty parts on the video where even at 1080p it goes to 60fps, at the start at the vid tearing is over 40% in 1080p, but fps wise it is generally only 1-5 fps slower.

dubc35

I apologize, this is a stupid question. I've looked at the on screen buttons/options but I can't get rid of the max speed overlay on drift replays. Is there a way to remove it? I'm assuming I'm missing something right in front of me but I can't find it. :(

Dead Man

That japanese website that usually does framerate analysis did one for 1080pvs720pvs3D

720p Avg:59.527fps Min-Max:47.5-60.0fps Tear:15.208% (14.393%)
1080p Avg:59.010fps Min-Max:46.0-60.0fps Tear:25.426% (24.212%)
3D Avg:38.523fps Min-Max:27.0-47.5fps Tear:30.178% (29.579%)

The average fps and tear kinda tells a lie, because there are some really long and empty parts on the video where even at 1080p it goes to 60fps, at the start at the vid tearing is over 40% in 1080p, but fps wise it is generally only 1-5 fps slower.

That's cool, glad to see there is less tearing at 720, I wasn't imagining things.

Chris R

So does anyone have a suggested car for the first race of the new B-Spec online challenge? I already golded the other two, but I can't seem to find a good car for the first one. That and my driver is STUPID and doesn't know how to pass slow ass cars.

Pretty easy though, did all three while making/eating dinner last night with almost no input on my part.

So was Spa last month, but that payed 10x more :p

Are we getting DLC this month or next month? thread has completely died after all that hype on the Aventador/Route X stuff :/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So was Spa last month, but that payed 10x more :p

Are we getting DLC this month or next month? thread has completely died after all that hype on the Aventador/Route X stuff :/

It didn't help that it was moved to Community. I keep forgetting about this thread. :(

Still play this game every other day though.

deim0s

Any tips to train b-spec drivers? When I give him a stronger car... He Somehow decides to stop in the middle of the track and/or spins out on a slow corner - a level 4 driver is a long ways up to compete in the seasonal b-spec events.

Another question... Picking a hot headed driver for what?

Yeah, I'm new to GT5 world.

Hey guys, I had a few questions regarding the best way to set up my driving settings.

I know the game defaults you on this pseudo-arcade tricycle "win button" setting. Obviously I'm looking for something more simulation, but at the same time - many of these luxury cars have some of these assist settings, so - sometimes turning them off isn't actually giving you simulation since some of these cards have them.

So, anyway - for simulation, what's the best for a logitech gt force:

i.e, abs, traction control, activity stability management, skid recovery force (aka drives itself force) etc. etc.

PS: I've noticed that the people posting the best times tend to have everything set to off, even ABS. Why is that? You'd think these assist would help them no?

No, electronic assists will make you slower, but prevent you from spinning. Sometimes you want the backside to slide a little bit, or you just want to go bang on before a straight and not give a crap about the tires. It's true that super cars like Ferrari and Lambos come with traction control now, but they all let you turn it off as well, most call them "Race" mode for a reason :p

If you have good/decent throttle control I say turn it all off, and start improving car control for that. If you can't keep it straight then start reducing TC little by little till you understand what/why and when it was doing and know how you can do it better then the computers.

No, electronic assists will make you slower, but prevent you from spinning. Sometimes you want the backside to slide a little bit, or you just want to go bang on before a straight and not give a crap about the tires. It's true that super cars like Ferrari and Lambos come with traction control now, but they all let you turn it off as well, most call them "Race" mode for a reason :p

If you have good/decent throttle control I say turn it all off, and start improving car control for that. If you can't keep it straight then start reducing TC little by little till you understand what/why and when it was doing and know how you can do it better then the computers.

I've turned everything off. And I have TC at a setting of 2. I'm slowly getting it down to -off-

What is your controller input at? The default is 0. Is that good for steering wheels. The range is like -2 to 12 or something.

Polyphony

Keep sensitivity at 0 for the wheel. If you're using one of the older Driving Force Logitech or Momo wheels from the PS2 era, don't forget to go into Options and to check the Simulation steering option. FFB level is down to preference but I find that the default 5 is fine. Karts feel realistic at FFB 10 but I would be scared of killing my wheel after prolonged hours of play :p

Watevaman

Keep sensitivity at 0 for the wheel. If you're using one of the older Driving Force Logitech or Momo wheels from the PS2 era, don't forget to go into Options and to check the Simulation steering option. FFB level is down to preference but I find that the default 5 is fine. Karts feel realistic at FFB 10 but I would be scared of killing my wheel after prolonged hours of play :p

I was under the impression that the controller sensitivity didn't affect wheels.

Top Bottom