• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

so fuck any of the nascar races on Daytona.

if you get out of the slipstream for half a second your race is over since its impossible to catch back up.

RankoSD

Dibbz said:
Yeah I know. When I saw it first thing I thought was I bet this will never make it into the game because of how simple the scene looks but still looking back at the intro this scene was added which looks similar location wise in the fact that both roads are in the middle of nowhere. Other than that the roads are not similar but it's interesting.

That's the Test Track definitely, you can see a 100 meter marks on the road.

I still don't understand why we didn't get the Test Track, it's very simple to make and it is very usable for top speed testing.

Sorc3r3r

funkystudent said:
so fuck any of the nascar races on Daytona.

if you get out of the slipstream for half a second your race is over since its impossible to catch back up.

Yup, and I find this awesome, btw on Daytona there is no other concern if not to that.

Stay into the slipstream, keep the line.

As European I'm really not into NASCAR, I find it pretty boring to watch, but actually playing it's a whole another story, and in some way now I appreciate the NASCAR driver skills way more than before.

elektrixx

Banned
What is this icon?

dfa1a4dc.jpg

Dibbz

elektrixx said:
Now that I think of it, I've never seen a wet track and I'm over level 30 on both specs. Haven't raced at night either.
Wet races come in the Expert category. I'm sure there were some SSR5 races dotted around A-Spec. Give seasonal races a go and do some Special Events. They both have a good selection of cars and tracks. Especially the Special Event where you race from Eiger through about 4 other tracks.

sTeLioSco

Banned
elektrixx said:
Now that I think of it, I've never seen a wet track and I'm over level 30 on both specs. Haven't raced at night either.

go on practice,choose sarthe (le mans) put night

choose a 300-400hp rear wheel drive car and try.
then put rain...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Going back to all the B-spec events I left out, can't for the life of me Gold the 2nd Trucks event, my driver keeps breaking without a reason and doesn't pass other drivers. Damn, it's ridiculous my truck and driver are more than enough up to the task!
Can you guys suggest a truck to buy and overpower to finally get this out of my way, sick of it :p

Chris R

mblitek said:
Whatever you guys do, do NOT go into the October pickup thread and look at Gouken's pickup.
I normally stay away from those threads because they just remind me of how little I get paid :( Nice pickup though (I'd prefer the VW posted later though as I wouldn't be babying it all the time)

Dibbz

weekend_warrior said:
Yeah the guy keeps trying to enter halfway through the pit lane. >.<
Yeah I know. He made a thread on GT Planet complaining that GT5 won't let him pit. When people told him he was entering the pits wrong he said it's hard to enter the pits perfectly with worn out tyres. :|

I mean seriously who the hell thinks you are supposed to enter the pits by cutting over a strip of grass?

Anyway I'm probably going to give that Endurance a shot since the "glitch" probably isn't even a problem if you enter the pits correctly.

Grayman

I imagine the pit entry probably works on a location trigger that is placed before the corner. late entry with a fast car and early pit position would probably break the scripting so the game just goes into drive through as a panic button.

Dash Kappei

Going back to all the B-spec events I left out, can't for the life of me Gold the Daytona Pick-Ups Trucks event, my driver keeps breaking without a reason and doesn't pass other drivers. Damn, it's ridiculous my truck and driver are more than enough up to the task!
Can you guys suggest a truck to buy and overpower to finally get this out of my way, sick of it :p

Anybody with a Chevy Silverado SST Concept or a Tacoma to lend me? It's clear my truck won't cut it with this idiot driver (maybe I shoukd cut his brakes, lol) and I could never found those two trucks for sale

darkwing

loving the suspend/resume feature, you just load the game, grab a sandwich, the race is then ready for you to enter without any user input, reminds me of inFamous, doing an endurance race, suspending every time the fuel runs out

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dibbz said:
Yeah I know. He made a thread on GT Planet complaining that GT5 won't let him pit. When people told him he was entering the pits wrong he said it's hard to enter the pits perfectly with worn out tyres. :|

I mean seriously who the hell thinks you are supposed to enter the pits by cutting over a strip of grass?

Anyway I'm probably going to give that Endurance a shot since the "glitch" probably isn't even a problem if you enter the pits correctly.

This. I have seen real races where poor grip on the pit lane entry cost drivers the race as they run off into the gravel. Hamilton a few years back in F1 particualry sticks out.

You enter and exit the pit lane when you are supposed to, not when you want to.

Kaze13

You know what really pisses me off in this game? The fucking AI in single player Aspec / Seasonals. It's not that they don't react or are too slow in the corners. It's because they fucking know when you come up behind them and slow down even more! This makes it super easy to go around them in certain corners but super annoying when you are behind them aiming to outbrake them into a corner.

They should slow down in the corner but they slow down even more on top of that. It effectively makes them barriers in the braking zones...gah! I am reduced to just ramming the shit out of them out of frustration. Still my GOTF though. lol.

brentech

Yea, I'd say the AI is the weakest part of the driving experience.

Not driving, the "career" system could also use some refinement.
Career doesn't feel like a progression one bit. I'm fine with seasonals as something extra, but the A-Spec mode just feels like a bunch of events dropped in front of you. You don't get any feeling of your skills bringing you up the chain in the racing world.
I guess I just want to feel like a bigger part of the experience. Not sure I ever see it changing within GT though.

Kaze13

brentech said:

Career doesn't feel like a progression one bit. I'm fine with seasonals as something extra, but the A-Spec mode just feels like a bunch of events dropped in front of you. You don't get any feeling of your skills bringing you up the chain in the racing world.
I guess I just want to feel like a bigger part of the experience. Not sure I ever see it changing within GT though.

I wouldn't say that the AI is the weakest part. The AI is actually good apart from the corner speed and what I mentioned above. Their behavior outside of that is actually satisfying to race against. For example, if you blow the corner entry and miss the apex, they will take advantage and take back their spot. Another example is when you have a good exit and outgun them in a straight, they will move over to the side acknowledging your presence.

If they can just fix the AI's cornering characteristics, it will be quite good actually.

brentech said:

You ever play Forza 3? The AI almost felt like they would go out of their way to piss you off. 10 lap race, last corner, AI would slam into you and ruin your whole fucking race. That shit was annoying. I think it's the reason they added the "rewind" button. The only problem with GT5's AI is that they never go as hard into corners or attempt an overtake move. They're mostly just obstacles on the track rather then any real competition.

Dash Kappei

weekend_warrior said:
You ever play Forza 3? The AI almost felt like they would go out of their way to piss you off. 10 lap race, last corner, AI would slam into you and ruin your whole fucking race. That shit was annoying. I think it's the reason they added the "rewind" button. The only problem with GT5's AI is that they never go as hard into corners or attempt an overtake move. They're mostly just obstacles on the track rather then any real competition.
What pisses me off is that in Arcade PRO mode with AI@ten they're much more believable, aggressive, making mistakes and fighting each others. There's an enourmous difference, Spa is the perfect example.

Anilusion

I just got GT5. How does importing stuff from GT PSP work? Are there any cars that you can only get by importing from PSP? And does it matter if my PSP is running custom FW?

Also, should I just buy the DLC right away? The tracks and the gokarts look great :D

edit: server maintenance? How long does that usually last?

Kaze13

Dash Kappei said:
What pisses me off is that in Arcade PRO mode with AI@ten they're much more believable, aggressive, making mistakes and fighting each others. There's an enourmous difference, Spa is the perfect example.

I just tried this. Agreed.

lionelhutz

For those that upgraded to a G25 or G27 wheel from a DFGT how much of a difference is there between the wheels? Now that the G27 is supported is it worth the extra money?

magawolaz

Anilusion said:
I just got GT5. How does importing stuff from GT PSP work? Are there any cars that you can only get by importing from PSP? And does it matter if my PSP is running custom FW?

Also, should I just buy the DLC right away? The tracks and the gokarts look great :D

edit: server maintenance? How long does that usually last?
IIRC, you can import up to 50 cars from GT PSP, but they are only avaible in Arcade mode.
You need a USB cable to connect the PSP and the PS3, then you have to go in the setting menu on GT PSP and choose the transfer content thing (I forgot the exact name).
I don't think it matters if you run Cfw or not.

Spa and the kart space (especially this one) are beautiful :D I hope to see new seasonal events with this track next thursday.
But remember that you don't need to buy them in order to play them (online); if the host has the tracks, then all drivers in the lounge can race on that track.

Go here for maintenance notice and other news: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d6059.html

ruttyboy

lionelhutz said:
For those that upgraded to a G25 or G27 wheel from a DFGT how much of a difference is there between the wheels? Now that the G27 is supported is it worth the extra money?

As it happens I upgraded last Monday from a DF Pro to a (second hand) G25 and for me the biggest leap by far is in the pedals. Fine pedal control is now possible for me in a way I could never get before.

I don't think there's that much difference in the wheel itself though, it's definitely better, but not to the extent the pedals are. The feedback is still pretty weedy (which is odd, because I remember it tearing my arms off in GT4).

Oh and the shifter is neat, but I don't really use it.

Dead Man

Kaze13 said:
You know what really pisses me off in this game? The fucking AI in single player Aspec / Seasonals. It's not that they don't react or are too slow in the corners. It's because they fucking know when you come up behind them and slow down even more! This makes it super easy to go around them in certain corners but super annoying when you are behind them aiming to outbrake them into a corner.

They should slow down in the corner but they slow down even more on top of that. It effectively makes them barriers in the braking zones...gah! I am reduced to just ramming the shit out of them out of frustration. Still my GOTF though. lol.
The Ai still seems to have a mass advantage in collisions too. They are still pretty unshakeable.

lionelhutz said:

I went from a G25 to a G27 after a few years. The G27 doesn't have the sequential shifter but the FFB feel on the G27 is much better. The G27 is also substantially quieter. Lastly, the extra buttons on the wheel for the G27 are very helpful. I say it is worth the money. You normally can get some discounts on logitech.com or find it cheap elsewhere.

Edit: But going from a DFGT to either G25 or G27 is worth it. You will be happy with either wheel. Both are great.

lionelhutz

Thanks for the wheel replies. I've read that the G27 shifter is just up and down and not in an H pattern. Can anyone confirm? Are the paddle shifters any good?

Top Bottom