• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DEO3 said:
Now I'm generally a PC gamer, and quite honestly this is very first time I've ever bought DLC on a console, so I'm curious, is this mess the standard for DLC on consoles? Am I just an old man late to the party? Or is this simply PD trying to reinvent the wheel for no good reason - yet again?
This is literally the only game on the PS3 or 360 that has ever handled DLC like this. Ever.

Usually you buy at the store, download some keys or MB of content, boot up game and automatically enjoy DLC.

I have no idea why GT is so different.

amar212

DEO3 said:
.. is this mess the standard for DLC on consoles? Am I just an old man late to the party? Or is this simply PD trying to reinvent the wheel for no good reason - yet again?

It is probably just a first-time implementation of the probably still officially unannounced - but obviously incoming - new Sony policy regarding strengthening the DRM on PS3.

I have no real info about it, but from what we know so far, it could be the way how PSN Store will start to function more and more - basically in the same way how Xbox Live Marketplace is doing until the very beginning.

Until recently, we had a greatly loosed DRM-management on PS3 console, where all profiles had access to all DLC content on the same console. Also, policy of "5 downloads per console" has resulted with numerous "sharing" of all DLC content in the past among vast number of users worldwide because there was no strict DRM-management imposed. We can only presume the amounts of money/income/profit lost on both Sony/developers side because of that.

First batches of DLC with "strict" DRM-policy was previously reported for FIFA 11, LBP and PS Home (if I recall from other posts since I have never bought any of those DLC). All those were heavily tied to PSN-ID of the initial purchaser and couldn't be shared among profiles/consoles. However, that policy came to greater light with release of GT5 DLC just because it is the extremely big title with strong and vocal community.

Notice how all above DLC is not "classic" DLC, nor you can actually see it in your "Download History" or re-download it again. Only place where you can actually see it on your console is under the Account Settings > Transaction Management > Services List.

Why do I presume how such policy will become more present in the future? Because in less than 24 hours from initial release of the DLC for Europe/PAL (last week) Yamauchi tweeted the following:

We’re planning an another update for GT5 in December. In that update users who purchased cars and tracks from the DLC already, can receive a free “family upgrade” in the PS Store, which will let all users in the same PS console use the DLC.

That particular sentence went unnoticed, but I find it very intriguing since it says how in less than 60 days there will be new option on PSN Store that will allow re-distribution of the tighten-DLC content through "Family Upgrade" functionality that does not exist at this moment. Connect the dots.

We will be smarter in 2 months, but maybe all of this is just a sign of things to come.

EDITED: That particular *problem* many of US players had yesterday is probably result of some miss-management over the US PSN Store. I followed the development of the problem over GTPlanet and during the first hour of DLC being available on Store, everybody had the same problem as you.

Of course, there were people who didn't know about the need to "install" DLC from the in.game "Red Button", but there were also many members who were very aware of the actual process. Suddenly, everybody could install their DLC and hassle was gone.

Somebody at US Store probably uploaded the initial sequence of the DLC and made it available to be seen and purchased, in the same time being late to upload the initial content. Once the content was uploaded, everybody could download it.

I think you're reading too much into it.

That's just the work around they came up with because of all the complains. The family pack will just make the DLC work like all the others. It'll install something to the GAME DATA files.

amar212

Metalmurphy said:

That's just the work around they came up with because of all the complains. The family pack will just make the DLC work like all the others. It'll install something to the GAME DATA files.

I would like to be that way, because I really like the beautiful non-DRM policy of the PS3. But in the other hand, amount of money they are losing by that is beyond vast.

Almost all of people I played COD4, COD5, COD6, Killzone and Killzone 2 have "shared" their DLC maps with no problem. One person would buy it and share it with his friends via profile used only for sharing. And not to even speak about sharing every imaginable PSN or PS Classic game and every imaginable DLC or content available over PSN.

I don't know. Amount of money they are loosing every day because of that is enormous. And I am sure they are very well aware of that via profile tracking and statistics they collect all the time. Time will tell.

Why is there still a 20,000,000 credit cap in the game? Has anyone tweeted Kaz about getting it raised? Seems crazy, esp as it's rather easy to hit with a 200% modifier...

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah, I agree. Although I do think the game-sharing loophole will be closed on PS4, and that DLC will be more tightly managed. You'd think it's far too late in the day for Sony to start clamping down on and changing their PS3 policies without causing a massive headache and confusion. Although it's pretty obvious that if they wanted to, they could.

But yeah, DLC in GT5 is so poorly handled. I think you know when you have to put a step-by-step guide of how to get the DLC on your website that you're not doing it right...

I have asian gt 5 disc but play the game on my main us psn account. Where should I buy the dlc? Asian psn store or us psn store? usually I stuck with the game disc but Ionce bought MAG dlc on us psn store and ut didn't work on my asian MAG disc.

Polyphony

Callibretto said:
I have asian gt 5 disc but play the game on my main us psn account. Where should I buy the dlc? Asian psn store or us psn store? usually I stuck with the game disc but Ionce bought MAG dlc on us psn store and ut didn't work on my asian MAG disc.

Apparently, the DLC is region locked.

Is DLC region locked?
Yes, it is. That is, if for example you buy DLC on a European PSN account, you cannot use it on your American copy of the game.

So you might have to buy it from the Asian store.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
NEW Seasonal Event available...for B-Spec mode!

Just went up nine minutes ago. It's just like the other seasonals, but you enter your driver. It says levels 10 and up are recommended. Huh!
edit: actually each track is a different level- level 10, level 20 and level 30.

Polyphony said:
Apparently, the DLC is region locked.

Is DLC region locked?
Yes, it is. That is, if for example you buy DLC on a European PSN account, you cannot use it on your American copy of the game.

So you might have to buy it from the Asian store.
But then I can't play it on my main us psn account where I have played the game so far?

RedSwirl

A part of me wants to give this game a second shot, but I don't know when I'd have time, and I don't think I'll ever play this game at the highest levels.

I bought GT4 when it went greatest hits and enjoyed it quite a bit despite never getting far past the beginner races. I know GT5 has enough content in it for anyone who's even a little interested in racing games, but when I rented the game last year I could tell that there was a great game in there, but they just didn't put it all together right. The whole front end looked very messy. How much has the update changed it?

Ravage

chubigans said:

Just went up nine minutes ago. It's just like the other seasonals, but you enter your driver. It says levels 10 and up are recommended. Huh!

Wow, seriously?

dwebo

2.01 is up too, 112mb. Think the changes were posted before, but here's the full list.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-2-01-released-new-b-spec-seasonal-event/
[Major Changes and New Features]
- Compatibility of Kart Space I/II with cars other than racing Karts
It is now possible to race on Kart Space I/II of the DLC in cars other than racing Karts in online races and in the Free Run of Practice.
(In the one make races of the Arcade mode and Practice, the courses are still limited to racing Karts.)
- Expanded the car restrictions in the Online Lounge
It is now possible to simultaneously set [Car Restrictions], [Performance Points], [Power], and [Models] in regulation settings. ( [Vehicle Tuning] must be set to [Unrestricted] and [Car Restrictions] must be set to something other than [Select from Garage].)

[Other Improvements]
- In the Open Lobby, it is no longer possible to vote to kick out the person who created the room. (If the player leaves the room after creating it then comes back, they are then subject to the vote.)
- Adjusted the force of the steering wheel returning to center after a race when using the “Guillemot T500RS”.
- Improved the steering model when driving racing Karts with the DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller, to prevent overly spinning out.

[Correction of Known Issues]
- Corrected an issue where the BGM would stop playing when returning from the Lounge to the Open Lobby.
- Corrected an issue where if further engine tuning was performed on a car that already had engine tuning, the engine tune field would become incorrect when changing setting sheets.
- Corrected a discrepancy in the numerical figures in the setting sheets.
- Corrected an issue where wheels and horns would become different in every setting sheet change.
- Corrected an issue where the removal of aerodynamic parts and wings would not be implemented when changing setting sheets.
- Corrected an issue where the TCS and ABS settings would change when changing setting sheets.
- Corrected an issue where if a certain operation was performed when using a steering wheel controller with an H pattern gear shifter, the shift lever position, gear position display and the car operation would become mismatched. (On the Logitec G25 Racing Wheel, Logitech G27 Racing Wheel, and Guillemot T500RS + TH8RS Shifter.)
- Corrected an issue with the key assignments on the Logitech G27 Racing Wheel.
- Corrected an issue where the driver hand motion did not match the steering wheel motion.
- Corrected an issue where autopilot would not be disengaged after returning to the course, when resuming an endurance race where the pit lane was entered at overspeed before saving.
- Corrected an issue where the Practice ranking board would reset if the weather change/time change setting was changed when editing an existing track in the Course Maker edit screen.
- Corrected an issue where no courses could be saved in the Course Maker if the update (2.00) was installed without going through earlier updates.
- Corrected an issue where an error would occur at game start if the update (2.00) was installed on a system that has a save data that has never been updated from the first version.
- Corrected an issue with the Hybrid System simulation on the Toyota Prius G Touring Selection ’03, Toyota Prius G ’09, Toyota Prius Touring Car.
- Corrected an issue on the Ferrari F10’10, where drivers were experiencing random vibration.
- Corrected an issue where the wheel color would not appear correctly in pit work, if the wheel had been repainted.
- Corrected an issue where the [Reset to Default] button was not functioning on cars that originally come with turbo kits, when other turbo kits were installed.
- Corrected various other issues regarding the update and the DLC.

baekshi

Banned
Just downloaded the update :)

Can't wait for my PSN Card to arrive - why did amazon had to take down code card is something I don't understand-_-

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just signed off. :(

You can only do a one car free run, no AI normal cars on the track in practice mode. I wonder if it'll let you race online with multiple non-kart cars?

chubigans said:

edit: actually each track is a different level- level 10, level 20 and level 30.

5 laps/ Rome - $340,000, 44,000xp (w/ 200% bonus), random suit, in ~7:09 (in '96 Skyline)
5 laps/ High Speed- $250,000, 30,000xp (w/ bonus), random helmet, in ~7:30 (in '00 Camaro)
10 laps/ R246- $440,000, 75,000xp (w/ bonus), random helmet, in ~17:06 (in Toyota 7 RC)

Each can be raced infinite times. The Rome race is the best bet for farming money or B-spec XP.

chubigans said:

That picture looks awesome.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
weekend_warrior said:
5 laps/ Rome - $340,000, 44,000xp (w/ 200% bonus), random suit, in ~7:09 (in '96 Skyline)
5 laps/ High Speed- $250,000, 30,000xp (w/ bonus), random helmet, in ~7:30 (in '00 Camaro)
10 laps/ R246- $440,000, 75,000xp (w/ bonus), random helmet, in ~17:06 (in Toyota 7 RC)

Each can be raced infinite times. The Rome race is the best bet for farming money or B-spec XP.

That picture looks awesome.
I don't get it... My times are better than yours and yet I always come in 3rd (for example on R246 my time is 16' 51") :/

spats

Taking pictures of cars in the cart space...

fap.gif

Two questions

I have been doing a lot a dirty Nascar racing with mes amies francais on Daytona recently (rammed into pit too fast to change tyres numerous times!), can anyone suggest a forgiving tune esp. in regard to tyre wear?

How and where and when do I sign up for GAF races (0000+hrs GMT)?

Thanks

- Corrected an issue on the Ferrari F10’10, where drivers were experiencing random vibration.

megaton!

still no mention of the other cars though :(

and it wasn't random. it happened in the exact same spot depending on speed, this problem was/is definitely related to track bump/elevation change, and the amount of downforce on the vehicle. if you ran minimum downforce on the front you would get minor wheel drop, but if you set it at mid to max it would go absolutely crazy with both wheels dropping.

monza and nurburgring were the biggest offenders. glad to see they've partially fixed it a year on from release...

offshore

Wax asks for Spa; Polyphony deliver
Wax asks for F10 fix; Polyphony deliver

Wax, any chance of asking for a paint chip fix and better in-game music options? :lol

I was kinda wondering when they would be adding B-spec seasonals, since the regular seasonal reward dialog mentions "A-spec / B-spec reward" in text.

Dash Kappei said:
I don't get it... My times are better than yours and yet I always come in 3rd (for example on R246 my time is 16' 51") :/

No idea. What cars are using? I used a car that was right at the PP limit, with the best tires allowed, and a custom transmission set up for each track. And I had no problem coming in first each race with a level 34 B-Spec Bob.

Top Bottom