• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

brentech

Hrm, was just a spectator, but locked at 0:00 time limit, even disconnected myself from PSN. Guess I gotta quite out of game =(

UFRA

Yup, definitely going with Standard quality for the race.

Very High is good for some people, but bad for others. Standard was pretty much consistantly good.

Angst

GodofWine said:
Please msg me on psn with the room. Skigazzi on psn. Internet issues on my laptop. Using blackberrynow
as you're on my friends list - just look at my profile and join me. Room not up yet though

UFRA

ROOM IS NOW UP

Look in my profile, my hobbies section will be the room number to prevent lurkers. :lol

I also made it non-fixed host so that if my ISP craps out it transfers to someone else as a back-up. I'd hate to have the whole race end just on my own issue.

Leunam

Room is full.

GTFO randoms.

There should have been a text chat room. That way only the people that are in the league are invited and then we share the code through there.

Salacious Crumb

AHAAHAH what a ridiculously awesome messed up eventful race.:lol :lol :lol

I can't wait to see a replay, and fair play at the end there tox :lol we had a couple of crazy limping races :lol

Also I might be fast on one lap, but my consistency is shit house.

37K Exp just to top it off :D

h3ro

Backmarkers were crazy! :lol

Crumb, you cut down a 14 second lead with 3 laps to go, consistently putting in 1:54's! SICK!

Salacious Crumb

racing to the pits after tox and I both ran into memorycure was the highlight for me, just seeing us two hobbling down the road to the pits had me crying with laughter.

Juicy Bob

Urgh. I'm sorry Beefo, I let you down. :(

I set the car up to oversteer but while this gave me great front-end grip, I lost stability at the rear. This was ok, until the tyres started to go-off. That's when it felt more like driving a drift car than a SuperGT car. I went off too many times culminating with me having an Allan McNish-style tank-slapper in the 130r on Lap 11 which sealed my fate. After that, I was too far behind and was praying for the guys ahead to have mishaps to give me a chance to catch them. It didn't happen and I was condemned to a frustrating 9th place.

Still, it was a great race and I had some fantastic scraps with a bunch of people, especially in the early stages. Thanks to UFRA and Mush for organising it and I'm looking forward to my next race at Grand Valley already!

Wow, my shoulders are sore!

OK I will start the vid capture process now. Please PM a lap and corner you had a crazy moment on and I will try to cap it. Only one "moment" per person. Rest will be leaders and randomly circulating through the pack.

It is going to take me a while before I get to post the vid cap. First time doing it and I have plans later but I hope to get it up in the next day or so. I am going to go do some seasonal races right now. Today is my first day getting to play A spec all week.

Angst

My back tyres got destroyed in the first corner so I had to pit early and the race was more or less over for me at that point. And it didn't exactly that that made me mess up even more :lol

Sorry Dibbz, try to get a good race at Laguna Seca and I'll start practicing Grand Valley.

But I had a really good time despite everything. Props to mush and ufra!

One thing though, I had a quick peek at the replay and noticed that basically everyone in the top got flat tyres etc on the first lap but kept racing anyway. That's really impressive, I had to fix the damage right away.

h3ro

Race Results:

29dbggz.jpg

Via crappy Blackberry cam. :lol

Salacious Crumb said:
racing to the pits after tox and I both ran into memorycure was the highlight for me, just seeing us two hobbling down the road to the pits had me crying with laughter.

I saw you gunning it my way, attempt to remove myself safely from the racing line but my car was already in terrible shape (too some heavy mechanical damage; pulling to left). Didn't work out as planned >_<

Good game, though. Lots of fun. There does need to be meta-league for us bottom feeders <.<

Dibbz

Ahh man that's a shame Angst, what actually happened in the first turn?? Sounds like there was mass carnage.

Export your replay Angst and upload it somewhere for me, I wanna see :lol

Mush

Metalmurphy said:
Did anyone with a PAL copy save a replay? Host it somewhere. I wanna see :D
On it.

Thanks everyone for such a great turnout. You guys are what made this possible.

<3

GodofWine

Dibbz said:
what actually happened in the first turn?? Sounds like there was mass carnage.

Mass carnage...I slipped through, and got TAPPED and had to limp around with damage...

I also forgot there was false start on the beginning, this was my first ever online race in gt5...is there a hint of input lag online? I felt there was, I needed more time to get used to it.

I also need more than 20 miles on my old yota to get it tuned right....Laguna is spanish for redemption (no, no it isnt)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yeah, it was nice watching you racing from the 'inside', folks ; )

Sorry about the mash-up at start.

Morals of the story for me (and so other folks don't repeat the same mistakes):
1. hards are a bad choice for such a race. Hards are even harder to control when you do a pitstop every 5th or 6th lap due to damages - cold tires galore. Then it becomes a vicious circle.
2. always pay attention if the race rules include false start penalties - got me by surprise (yeah, that mash-up..)
3. long-distance relationships don't work. Props to UFRA and Mush for the hosting, but doing it overseas for me give a very questionable fps. I guess I should look for something local.

So, I tip my hat at you, folks, and leave the season now, before I mess up any more starts. It was a pleasure doing this round with you.

Angst

Dibbz said:
Ahh man that's a shame Angst, what actually happened in the first turn?? Sounds like there was mass carnage.

Export your replay Angst and upload it somewhere for me, I wanna see :lol
I had a pretty good start and managed to wind my way through the field, but as I slowed down in the first corner the guy in the yellowhat flew in from the grass and clipped me. Flat tyre :-/ That was basically it. And then I got careless and messed up some more...

Well, well, next race :D
blu said:
Yeah, it was nice watching you racing from the 'inside', folks ; )

Sorry about the mash-up at start.

Morals of the story for me (and so other folks don't repeat the same mistakes):
1. hards are a bad choice for such a race. Hards are even harder to control when you do a pitstop every 5th or 6th lap due to damages - cold tires galore. Then it becomes a vicious circle.
2. always pay attention if the race rules include false start penalties - got me by surprise (yeah, that mash-up..)
3. long-distance relationships don't work. Props to UFRA and Mush for the hosting, but doing it overseas for me give a very questionable fps. I guess I should look for something local.

So, I tip my hat at you, folks, and leave the season now, before I mess up any more starts. It was a pleasure doing this round with you.
It was you in the Yellowhat right? Don't bit yourself up about it, shit happens. It's a lot worse when people crash you intentionally. And as far as I know nothing of the sort happened in this race.

And that's the best part about being in a league - no random people going out of their way to mess up your race.

Salacious Crumb

Angst said:
I had a pretty good start and managed to wind my way through the field, but as I slowed down in the first corner the guy in the yellowhat flew in from the grass and clipped me. Flat tyre :-/ That was basically it. And then I got careless and messed up some more...

Well, well, next race :D

Supra or GT-R? if it was me I'm sorry, you need to have the reflexes of a house fly to get through the first corner of a race without touching anyone :lol

Angst

Salacious Crumb said:
Supra or GT-R? if it was me I'm sorry, you need to have the reflexes of a house fly to get through the first corner of a race without touching anyone :lol
Actually I'm not sure exactly what car it was. And as I said, it's not like it was intentional whoever it was. So it's no big deal :D

Mush

Someone needs to find out who that ninja was in the other Petronas Lexus. :D I'm going to cross him off the race results but if you can identify yourself we may be able to do something. ;) Apparently you weren't to shabby of a driver!

He was Australian so he might have joined from Crumb's or Beef's lounge.

blu

Angst said:
Actually I'm not sure exactly what car it was. And as I said, it's not like it was intentional whoever it was. So it's no big deal :D
Must have been me, as my yeallowHat was pretty much pummeled at the start, and I stepped on the first right-hand corner in an uncontrolled slide, definitely touching somebody in the course - must have been you. But you're absolutely right about the lack of any intention on my part. Apologies, once again.

Can someone explain the tire wear to me? I thought they went from dark blue to white as the indicator of wear but I was completely confused during this race as this appears to not be the case :lol

Mush

Don't sweat it blu. You were a great sport in staying for the whole thing, damaged and all. You're more than welcome to continue racing in the league. :D

Salacious Crumb

MikeDub said:
Can someone explain the tire wear to me? I thought they went from dark blue to white as the indicator of wear but I was completely confused during this race as this appears to not be the case :lol

The colour is just a temperature indicator, tyre wear is denoted by each one of the tyre symbols 'draining' for lack of a better term.

wow, what a crazy race:lol

Guys were doing the qualy laps and i didn´t knew if i was in or not.:lol

I was pretty sure i was going to start next to Salacious in the front row, but it appears both of us quitted and came back which invalidated our laps. In the start, i tried to overtake a car on the outside at degner, and well, that wa sa bad idea:lol Ended up spinning, with some damage on the back.

Limping to the pits i hit a car that was parked on the outside of spoon (couldn´t avoid him) then the car really got messy and after the unexpected pit stop after lap one i was 1:20´000 behind the leader.

I thought, well, let´s try to make the best out of a bad situation. I´m surprised i got back to fourth place in the end. (btw, what heppened there UFRA?).

And yes, the lapped cars need to look and the mirror every now and then:lol

Well, i look foward to the next round, i still have to check things with blu and viakado (and Mush) to see which team i´m permanently in. I just want to race, whatever the car is.

Awesome race, can´t wait for the replay with some highlights!

OK SUPER GT GAF, I have a brand spanking new Miura to give away for a MVP type award tonight. Who do we think should get it? I am thinking Blu for hanging in there and doing a good job of clearing the line when passed. Takes patience to hang in there.

Dibbz

MikeDub said:
The tyres are basically bars. At the start they are full up so they'll be full blue but over the course of the race they will deplete. When it's basically full black you cannot even drive in a straight line.

The colours represent the heat in the tyre, they start off cold (dark blue) but heat up and get more grip (light blue). Red means you're wheels are getting shredded :lol

Dibbz said:
The tyres are basically bars. At the start they are full up so they'll be full blue but over the course of the race they will deplete. When it's basically full black you cannot even drive in a straight line.

The colours represent the heat in the tyre, they start off cold (dark blue) but heat up and get more grip (light blue). Red means you're wheels are getting shredded :lol

Thanks

blu

Mush said:
Don't sweat it blu. You were a great sport in staying for the whole thing, damaged and all. You're more than welcome to continue racing in the league. :D
Thanks, Mush. I think I need to attend a few track days with you and UFRA to decide for myself if the lag would be tolerable. Tonight it was a 'can I handle this?' kind of situation. At times everything was butter smooth, at times I was seeing everybody around me doing the lag dance, which usually means I'm the one lagging. So let me know when the next track day is, and I'll try to attend.

gutterboy44 said:
OK SUPER GT GAF, I have a brand spanking new Miura to give away for a MVP type award tonight. Who do we think should get it? I am thinking Blu for hanging in there and doing a good job of clearing the line when passed. Takes patience to hang in there.
Heh, thanks, gutterboy, that's very kind, but I'm not sure if me quitting early on would not have been the better option for everybody : )

Toxa

there was no qualifying session? salacious started the race behind me

quick pics :

gutterboy in trouble :

282936SuzukaCircuit40.jpg

364781SuzukaCircuit41.jpg

I'm the new leader with salacious behind me :

578091SuzukaCircuit42.jpg

136589SuzukaCircuit43.jpg

I knew that salacious was faster than me so I let him overtake me with fair play:

601426SuzukaCircuit44.jpg

865415SuzukaCircuit45.jpg

Salacious lead the race :

671384SuzukaCircuit46.jpg

after that BrLvgThrChmstry almost ruined my race twice :D my car was damaged and had to stop to the pit earlier than planned.

later I don't know why salacious was again in the pit (lap 14) I decided to stay on track until the end.
but salacious but was too fast and my tyres almost dead.

at the hairpin salacious tried to overtake me, my car oversteer and my rear suspension was damaged.

my car was uncontrollable, I managed to stay on the track at the last chicane and salcious tried to overtake me but I put his car in the grass, it wasn't my intention.

it was unfair so I decided to stop my car on the track before the finish line but I was in the path of salacious so I decided to turn left or right ( I don't remember) but salacious did the same :D so I stop the car again to be sure to let him win .

It was a good race overall, I'm just really sorry for the mess in the last lap

UFRA

seattle6418 said:
I thought, well, let´s try to make the best out of a bad situation. I´m surprised i got back to fourth place in the end. (btw, what heppened there UFRA?).

Yeah on the final high speed corner before the double 90 degree corners at the end on lap 20, I went wide and lost control.

I thought for sure "well at least I got 4th" then suddenly you come out of nowhere and passed me before I got back on the track. :lol

I asked Gutterboy to capture this special moment for me since it was definitely my most memorable moment in the race. All that work climbing up to 3rd and then I blew it lol.

Juicy Bob

Great images, I can't wait to see the replay!

Also, blu, you should stay. Nobody wants you to drop out of the league at all. I don't know about everyone else, but I had no issues with you lagging the entire race.

UFRA

Judging by some of the confusion I want to clarify something:

When you set a lap time in "free run" mode before the race, you can NOT back out to the lobby screen (i.e. when your car is in the pits, you select "cancel entry" and go back to the lobby to adjust car settings) or your time will be erased and you will be put at the end of the pack.

We did indeed have a qualifying session (which was basically mixed with the practice session due to some people disconnecting or me doing patrols for randoms joining lol) and that was the whole free run before the race.

So keep this in mind for the next events. :)

Juicy Bob

UFRA said:
Judging by some of the confusion I want to clarify something:

When you set a lap time in "free run" mode before the race, you can NOT back out to the lobby screen (i.e. when your car is in the pits, you select "cancel entry" and go back to the lobby to adjust car settings) or your time will be erased and you will be put at the end of the pack.

Ah bollocks. That's exactly what I did immediately after setting my fastest lap to stick the mediums back on. Then again though, I still started the race in 9th or 10th, so how does that work?

UFRA

Juicy Bob said:
Ah bollocks. That's exactly what I did immediately after setting my fastest lap to stick the mediums back on. Then again though, I still started the race in 9th or 10th, so how does that work?

Yup so in that case your time was deleted.

I'm not sure how the game determines where you go after you re-join without a time. I just know that you no longer get placement based on that time you originally had.

Top Bottom