• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
I'm doing 1.48s with the NSX @ 480BHP :/

Perfect solution is the Quick Tune from GT5P. Kaz said they were gonna bring it back. I just hope it's soon.
That would be good. Or allowing a power/weight ratio, and bringing back ballast weight like they used to have.

Mush

I hope the supposed February patch brings some P.P goodness, along with one of these beauties.
XRcUC.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's player points? Something similar to BP/PP for ranked mode in SSF4? :/

Honestly, the only thing I want out of GT5 is the leaderboards for the reasonably priced car so it isn't awkward and every GAF person can get in without having to wait for MM to be online (I think that's why the event is so damn dead and I'm the only one hassling for people to do it. :/). Along with A/B-spec EXP increase But if they do weekly seasonals, A isn't going to be a problem. Just slightly time consuming. B-spec is where the problem is without seasonal events. It's just a drag and boring grind. :/

Speaking of which: I need to sit down and practice SSR5Reverse since that's my intro point for the league. Oh boy, I'm going to let Dead Man down since I'm splitting time between GT5 logins, LBP2 community levels and creations and BC2 GAF. hah.

Dead Man

TheSeks said:
What's player points? Something similar to BP/PP for ranked mode in SSF4? :/

Honestly, the only thing I want out of GT5 is the leaderboards for the reasonably priced car so it isn't awkward and every GAF person can get in without having to wait for MM to be online (I think that's why the event is so damn dead and I'm the only one hassling for people to do it. :/). Along with A/B-spec EXP increase But if they do weekly seasonals, A isn't going to be a problem. Just slightly time consuming. B-spec is where the problem is without seasonal events. It's just a drag and boring grind. :/

Speaking of which: I need to sit down and practice SSR5Reverse since that's my intro point for the league. Oh boy, I'm going to let Dead Man down since I'm splitting time between GT5 logins, LBP2 community levels and creations and BC2 GAF. hah.
I have complete faith that you will not be worse than me!

Mush

Yeah, I know this is a bit of an ask, but can anyone get me a decent hi-res pic of the Grand Valley Speedway logo? :/

brentech

TheSeks said:
Unless something works out this weekend, that's likely going to be my intro to the league as well. I ran a few laps in my car when I found out I was in.
Considering I don't even think I'd ran the course at all prior to this, it was a bit of a doosey, but all in all it shouldn't be THAT bad. I am curious what it will be like with a bunch of other drivers at night though. It could get messy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mush said:
So what happens if I set the HP limit to 500? Do cars over get disallowed? Or do they just get put down to 500HP?
If we decided power was crucial (which often it is) we can do power normalization. That is, if the nominal power we are gravitating around is 500, we can use a factor of 500/actual_power_of_the_particular_car, which we then multiply that car's race points by.

Angst

blu said:
If we decided power was crucial (which often it is) we can do power normalization. That is, if the nominal power we are gravitating around is 500, we can use a factor of 500/actual_power_of_the_particular_car, which we then multiply that car's race points by.
As good as that sounds I don't think it'll work. Mush will have to do a lot of calculations and there's the problem of BHP fluctuations as well. BHP of the start might be one value and another after the race. And Mush will have to ask every driver what their BHP was as there's no way AFAIK to check this from the lobby.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Angst said:
As good as that sounds I don't think it'll work. Mush will have to do a lot of calculations and there's the problem of BHP fluctuations as well. BHP of the start might be one value and another after the race. And Mush will have to ask every driver what their BHP was as there's no way AFAIK to check this from the lobby.
I agree it takes some discipline from the teams to report their actual power ratings at the start of each round.

ashk

There definitely is a difference in power (and torque) in cars, which is also influenced by the fact that the cars are from different years, ie. different regulations. I think I read somewhere that the '06 Fairlady Z is the fastest car out there, but even if you compare the Bandai Lexus and the Eneos Lexus you'll see that they have different aerodynamics - the Eneos is slightly longer and wider than the Bandai.

IMHO, there's nothing that can be done about it since it's all a part of racing - someone always has a better car (unless you're lucky), you just have to try to make up for it by being a better driver. Real-world touring car championships have success ballast - the best drivers get extra weight onboard, it's a shame this can't be done here.

Mush

I'm just hoping for the return of Performance Points. Then all problems will be solved.

Well, nearly. There is one particular outlying issue of that one dude. Crumb something?

My preview should be up soonish, for those who care.

Toxa

ashk said:
IMHO, there's nothing that can be done about it since it's all a part of racing - someone always has a better car (unless you're lucky), you just have to try to make up for it by being a better driver. Real-world touring car championships have success ballast - the best drivers get extra weight onboard, it's a shame this can't be done here.

yeah but if put a good driver in the best car it's almost impossible to beat him (ferrari f1 2001-2004)

the first round at suzuka I did the cleanest race that day but the gap between my lexus and the GTR was around 2, 3 second per lap ... and it was worse with worn tires, salacious did a lot of mistakes during the race which allowed me to take the lead but he managed to catch up 22 seconds in 5 laps :(

it's unfair

Dead Man

Toxa said:
yeah but if put a good driver in the best car it's almost impossible to beat him (ferrari f1 2001-2004)

the first round at suzuka I did the cleanest race that day but the gap between my lexus and the GTR was around 2, 3 second per lap ... and it was worse with worn tires, salacious did a lot of mistakes during the race which allowed me to take the lead but he managed to catch up 22 seconds in 5 laps :(

it's unfair
It's also racing. Maybe look for a better car next season?

Edit: Maybe that came off a bit harsh, I didn't mean that. Without a power to weight ratio stat for the cars that previous GT's had, and without ballast, which previous GT's had, there is not much to be done about it.

Toxa

Dead Man said:
It's also racing. Maybe look for a better car next season?

Edit: Maybe that came off a bit harsh, I didn't mean that. Without a power to weight ratio stat for the cars that previous GT's had, and without ballast, which previous GT's had, there is not much to be done about it.

yeah a bit harsh lmao,
a better car for the next season ? maybe, why not but as a said before it's interesting to fight with a slower car but the gap is huge, it is frustrating to lose a race on the last lap because you car sucks xD after all the effort

Dead Man

Toxa said:
yeah a bit harsh lmao,
a better car for the next season ? maybe, why not but as a said before it's interesting to fight with a slower car but the gap is huge, it is frustrating to lose a race on the last lap because you car sucks xD after all the effort
Sorry :)

Dead Man

Mush said:
Dead Man gets 10 points taken from Gryffindor.
:(

Is that a harry potter thing? That sport they play on broom sticks? Is that 10 more points?

Edit: Google says yes. And no. And probably.

Mush

EAiG8.jpg

Course Map

H6YM1.png

Race Info

-21 Laps/64.51mi/103.82km

Footage

GT5 Replay

Preview write-up by Mush

The 3rd round of the NeoGAF Super GT League takes place at Grand Valley Speedway, a staple of the GT series since the very first entry. The circuit is something of a Works burger, featuring a large variety of different sections. Sector 1 starts with a 200kph+ straight, leading uphill into the first corner; a medium-speed hairpin. From there, the speed climbs above 200kph into a sweeping left-right which is very reminiscent of Spa's famous Eau Rouge. The right aero setup is key here, for 2 reasons. Taking the wrong line could send you wide into the Armco, and the hairpin at the end of the straight presents an excellent opportunity to pass. Sector 3 is the slowest section of the track, featuring no less than 3 hairpin-tuns, with the last 2 back-to-back, leading on to the front straight.

With 4 out of the Top 5 positions in the points standings taken by Nissans, the rest of the field have their work cut out. With the Lexus' drivers starting to find their feet, is it too late for the NSX to stage a fight back before the mid-season break?

Tune in live, this Sunday Saturday on vissioneTV!

Mush

And yes, I know it's a little half-assed. Been busy this week. :/

(I don't spend all day on this, you know! But I try.)

Angst

Same here. I've been practising a lot more this time and I hope it pays off. As long as I can avoid spinning out in the second hair pin I think I will do all right.

Great preview mush!

Who will race for each team this saturday?

I know Toxa, Gutterboy and h3ro will be racing. Who else?

Edit - Juicy Bob as well it looks like from his post. Ufra too I think.

And Dead Man too?

Ok, so that's:

Angst Team Ni-San
Toxa Capsule Corp Racing
Gutterboy44 Team Gang Green
h3ro Team SMANG
Dead Man (Un)Dead Seks
Juicy Bob Juicy Beef
Ufra Foxtrot Oscar
ashk Flaming Deers
Mush(?) NZGR
MetalMurphy (?) Team TBA ;)

Dead Man

Toxa said:
nevermind , I'm glad to be part of the league, it's really a thrilling experience and sometimes it is tiring to always fight for victory :p
At least you know you're fast, I have a Nissan and am still in the back! :lol

Edit: Yeah, nice preview, looking forward to it!

Toxa

Angst said:
Use Sports Hard to compensate?

:p

Edit:

I added you to my post. First race for you?

hey it's an interesting way to compensate the gap, using hard or medium racing tires

In GT4 i´ve done three seasons of JGTC championships over at GTP, and one of the most difficult aspects of the game was balancing the cars.

Some cars were faster than the others even with less HP. The NSX would always be faster than the rest of the pack if it had the same number of HP.

Since the series was done in the arcade mode, we used the + and - values for weight and power, and tested the cars to get equal laptimes.

I don´t know how can this be adressed here, since the options are pretty much slim. Maybe the Lexus can be matched with the GT-R by letting the drivers use engine tuning stage 3? Maybe the NSX can be matched letting the user put chassis rigidity?

I don´t have money to buy the other two right now, but i have a hard time believing the NSX is that slow. This car was always a beast and it´s neutral handling and tire wear always made a difference.

I raced one season with the Xanavi GT-R ´03 and i got murdered with front tire wear, always a problem with those Skylines... i ended up always using mediums up front and softs in the back.

What i´m saying is, there´s a lot of things to consider when "pairing up" the cars. One other solution is to open the selection to the older JGTC cars, to give players more options and maybe not letting the top ranked drivers in season one get those GTR´s.

I think we all be here for season two, so we should use this season to learn and test things so we can have a great season.

I´ll try to do some testing when i´m able to buy the Lexus and the NSX, but in the meantime i´ll test my older JGTC cars to see how they match up.

Toxa

seattle6418 said:
In GT4 i´ve done three seasons of JGTC championships over at GTP, and one of the most difficult aspects of the game was balancing the cars.

Some cars were faster than the others even with less HP. The NSX would always be faster than the rest of the pack if it had the same number of HP.

Since the series was done in the arcade mode, we used the + and - values for weight and power, and tested the cars to get equal laptimes.

I don´t know how can this be adressed here, since the options are pretty much slim. Maybe the Lexus can be matched with the GT-R by letting the drivers use engine tuning stage 3? Maybe the NSX can be matched letting the user put chassis rigidity?

I don´t have money to buy the other two right now, but i have a hard time believing the NSX is that slow. This car was always a beast and it´s neutral handling and tire wear always made a difference.

I raced one season with the Xanavi GT-R ´03 and i got murdered with front tire wear, always a problem with those Skylines... i ended up always using mediums up front and softs in the back.

What i´m saying is, there´s a lot of things to consider when "pairing up" the cars. One other solution is to open the selection to the older JGTC cars, to give players more options and maybe not letting the top ranked drivers in season one get those GTR´s.

I think we all be here for season two, so we should use this season to learn and test things so we can have a great season.

I´ll try to do some testing when i´m able to buy the Lexus and the NSX, but in the meantime i´ll test my older JGTC cars to see how they match up.

I can tell you

305725SuzukaCircuit74.jpg

is a lot better than the lexus

Niks

I used the Epson NSX in Suzuka with default settings and it was very fast, and not as tail happy as the Woodone GTR, much more drivable.

Salacious, Seattle and Toxa, are you guys using wheels or ds3?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mush said:
Dead Man gets 10 points taken from Gryffindor.

Who said I was Gryffindor?

My Draco/Harry fanficion writing goes unabated.

Honestly, I'm only in to see if I want to do a league. I haven't done too many clean races and I'm more worried about screwing up people by blocking their lines than I am winning (as I know I have no chance against someone like Crumb).

Toxa

Niks said:
I used the Epson NSX in Suzuka with default settings and it was very fast, and not as tail happy as the Woodone GTR, much more drivable.

DS3 but the problem is the car not the controller

Toxa

ok I installed turbo kit stage 2 (540hp) in the lexus and it wasn't convincing then I tried turbo kit stage 3 (610hp) , the car is heavier and less drivable but I managed to reach 1.45.236

edit : now 1.44.741

Niks said:

The Epson is completely different from the '06 NSX's. I'd say on average 4-6 seconds slower.

Toxa said:
ok I installed turbo kit stage 2 (540hp) in the lexus and it wasn't convincing then I tried turbo kit stage 3 (610hp) , the car is heavier and less drivable but I managed to reach 1.45.236

edit : now 1.44.741
Did you add turbo for testing purposes or is this allowed?

Toxa

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
The Epson is completely different from the '06 NSX's. I'd say on average 4-6 seconds slower.

Did you add turbo for testing purposes or is this allowed?

for testing purposes ;)

But no one would want to play in such a un even field. If some turbo matches up the Lexus with the GTR´s, why not? Something we might consider...

As for oil changes, there´s no way we can do the league without them. If we don´t, the first time we change the old oil we will get the bump over the HP cap.

I kind of like the PP system, as long as it is like in prologue and you can still set up the car.

In GT4 if you were using + and - system you couldn´t set up the car, which is BS.

Using a G25 here, btw.

Now i´m itching to test some things, seeing that things are really all over the place regarding car performance.

Top Bottom