• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Big thanks to everyone who hit me on the first lap. That was fun easily competing for 4th place but being a lap behind. Grrrr. Some ppl need to get penalized for their first lap bull shit. So frustrating.

Angst

I was absent from the stream but present in the race...

Ended up fifth according to my screen. I did 14 laps before pitting and was number 2 for a little while. After the pit stop it was basically me and gutterboy slugging out for 6 laps. He was one lap behind me but we kept switching positions on the track. He passed me on the long straight and I passed him in the second hairpin. Big kudos gutterboy for being disciplined at all times.

Sorry for the confusion when I pitted Ufra, I wish I could have turned on the turn signal or something. Hopefully you didn't wreck anything.

Happy with the race and my 5th position despite starting really far back in the field as my qualification time obviously didn't count.

gutterboy44 said:
Big thanks to everyone who hit me on the first lap. That was fun easily competing for 4th place but being a lap behind. Grrrr. Some ppl need to get penalized for their first lap bull shit. So frustrating.
Yeah, I think more online practice is needed. You can't race the same way as you do against the ai. If you come up behind someone because of the draft but don't have a good place to pass - don't try to. Wait for a good opportunity for a nice pass where you don't risk crashing the other racer.

h3ro

Do I get a point for taking care of a patient while pitting? :/

Race Results

10xbsbq.jpg

h3ro

Angst said:
H3ro I ended up on fifth before metalmurphy.

That's what showed up in the results section after the race was completed and everyone was chatting in the lobby.

Also, I know my race was compromised by my extended pit to tend to some matters, I hope I didn't obstruct anyone while finishing out the race. :/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gutterboy44 said:
Sorry to hear, man. I thought people were mostly careful, seeing how everybody in front of me threaded the first right-hander (I saw somebody (got) spun in the front and ended up in the sands, was that you?).

Angst

h3ro said:
That's what showed up in the results section after the race was completed and everyone was chatting in the lobby.
yeah I know. You're not on my race results. My screen:

18hxDl.jpg

We'll let mush sort out the mess... :D

Sadly (and thanks in part to playing online against other unknown players), I'm in the habit of letting the pack slip ahead of me at the start of a race (for the most) to avoid any collisions. I, myself, know it isn't possible to hit a curve/turn without taking your time and being courteous to other drivers. It seems like even GAF isn't safe from Mad Dash starts.

Not criticizing anyones driving ability. Just happens, but it can definitely be avoided.

@JM and Toxa:

Sorry about lap 19 -- I got caught in the middle of a neverending battle between you two. I'm assuming because of your sustained damage, I was able to keep up and close to the action (which I didn't want), I tried my best avoid any collisions without interfering but on the last S turn before the pit/finish line, JM(?) clipped my tale end. My bad.

All and all, good race.

gutterboy44 said:

Tough race. I didn't see what happened that first lap, I went to make coffee and when I got back you were in last place. A minor setback for Team Green, I'll have bust my balls and try to pick up a podium finish next race.

Dead Man

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Sadly (and thanks in part to playing online against other unknown players), I'm in the habit of letting the pack slip ahead of me at the start of a race (for the most) to avoid any collisions. I, myself, know it isn't possible to hit a curve/turn without taking your time and being courteous to other drivers. It seems like even GAF isn't safe from Mad Dash starts.

Not criticizing anyones driving ability. Just happens, but it can definitely be avoided.

@JM and Toxa:

Sorry about lap 19 -- I got caught in the middle of a neverending battle between you two. I'm assuming because of your sustained damage, I was able to keep up and close to the action (which I didn't want), I tried my best avoid any collisions without interfering but on the last S turn before the pit/finish line, JM(?) clipped my tale end.

All and all, good race.
I think I clipped you on the first couple laps as well, sorry. I was trying to hang back to let it sort itself out, I think I did not do so well.

Put so much time into practicing GVS, went through the whole needing time for the race with the girl friend, then had it all shit on by getting destroyed in the hairping on lap 1 in 2nd place then having Mush pull out in front of me in the high speed S's on lap 2 at like 150mpp + and t boning him and being ultra damanged. Lap down before lap 3, yet once I was racing I was killing it and passing people in the top 6. Ugh, what a mess. Sorry need to vent. Had a legitimate chance at podium on this track.

SLOW THE FUCK DOWN ON LAP 1. Seriously people, play it super safe. If you are fast you will make the passes easy, just don't go so ape shit on lap 1.

gutterboy44 said:
Put so much time into practicing GVS, went through the whole needing time for the race with the girl friend, then had it all shit on by getting destroyed in the hairping on lap 1 in 2nd place then having Mush pull out in front of me in the high speed S's on lap 2 at like 150mpp + and t boning him and being ultra damanged. Lap down before lap 3, yet once I was racing I was killing it and passing people in the top 6. Ugh, what a mess. Sorry need to vent. Had a legitimate chance at podium on this track.

SLOW THE FUCK DOWN ON LAP 1. Seriously people, play it super safe. If you are fast you will make the passes easy, just don't go so ape shit on lap 1.

Guess I can be thankful for the guy infront of me that missed the start. When I arrived to the first corner chaos was already there lol. I still got hit pretty bad on my right tire though. but not enough to pit.

Angst, the battle with you made up for all the awful shit that happened in the first 3 laps. That was so fun. Really great stuff. You are my MVP vote.

Angst

Dibbz said:
5th is good Angst well done mate. Hope we get the PAL replay soon :D
I think I could have got a podium finish if I hadn't started from last place. With that in mind I'm super happy about my race.

I certainly understand your frustration gutterboy. But nobody did anyting intentionally at least. At least you and I had a nice back and forth, totally pointless though :D

Edit - thanks Gutterboy! :) It was really good and made the last couple of laps more interesting!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gutterboy44 said:
Got to agree, lap 1 was the toughest. I passed the initial crowding unharmed *phew*, just to get my tyre clipped very close to the start-finish toward the end of the lap *noooo!*, which was the cause for my only pitting this race (last lap I was driving on toilet paper).

Niks

Congrats to Seattle, and awesome job UFRA on scoring a podium!
I feel for you Gutterboy you were definitively fast in practice :/

Cant wait to see the replay.

Juicy Bob

So after qualifying with a 45.5, I started 10th. I thought that would've gotten me a better grid slot, but fair enough. At the start, Dead Man (I think) directly in front of me didn't seem to move and I just didn't react fast enough and ran into him. So apologies for that. After avoiding the typical first lap carnage and barely avoiding a stricken Gutterboy, I found myself in the mid-field.

After a couple of laps, MetalMurphy and I had a scrap and as we were side-by-side down the pit straight we made contact on the run into Turn 1. I thought I left enough room but I also thought that I was ahead by the time we reached the braking point and was concentrating on the corner and not my mirrors. So Metal: I wasn't trying to squeeze you or anything and to be honest I have no idea what happened. I'll have to check the replay but if it turns out it was more my fault and less of a racing-incident I apologise. Either way it left me with engine trouble which crippled me for an entire lap. By the time I pitted, I stuck the mediums on and hoped that would last me 'til the flag.

Around lap 16, I understeered into the outside fence in the uphill kink and had to pit again. By the time I pitted and stuck the softs back on, I was down in 10th. The car was lightyears faster with the softer rubber and I was able to slowly crawl my way back into 8th but ran out of laps to challenge Mush. All together, another disappointing but fun race. Thanks again to all of you and I hope I get a better result in Tokyo!

Yeah sorry for the rage dump. This is all very fun and in the end it is worth it. I just put much more time into round 3 than I did into the lead up of round 1. So much build up for these Saturday races and I was just in the red when I had to pit twice in first two laps.

I don't blame anyone. It happens. I am sure I will or have fucked someone else up. Like I said, the silver lining was a great back and forth battle with Angst. Will definitely be caping that shit.

Edit: as a bonus when I went to get a beer to relax after that race, an entire glass jar of strawberry jam fell out of the fridge and smashed everywhere. Looked like a scene from Dexter.

ashk

So, my first race; some quick impressions:

- I suck at qualifying (11/13)
- that may not be a bad thing since it (+ an ok start) helped me avoid the first corner carnage and get to 4th
- was running second until lap 7 when I fucked up in the last few corners and made it easy for an NSX (not sure who it was) to pass me and send me to the wall in the last corner; luckily it was just in front of the pit entrance
- decided to run on the same tyres to the end, which resulted in the car being very slippery by the end of the race, but only lost 1 place which I don't believe I could have held even if I had better tyres
- finished 4th! and very happy with the result, but need to improve my pace on worn tyres

UFRA

Angst said:
I was absent from the stream but present in the race...

Ended up fifth according to my screen. I did 14 laps before pitting and was number 2 for a little while. After the pit stop it was basically me and gutterboy slugging out for 6 laps. He was one lap behind me but we kept switching positions on the track. He passed me on the long straight and I passed him in the second hairpin. Big kudos gutterboy for being disciplined at all times.

Sorry for the confusion when I pitted Ufra, I wish I could have turned on the turn signal or something. Hopefully you didn't wreck anything.

Happy with the race and my 5th position despite starting really far back in the field as my qualification time obviously didn't count.

Yeah, I think more online practice is needed. You can't race the same way as you do against the ai. If you come up behind someone because of the draft but don't have a good place to pass - don't try to. Wait for a good opportunity for a nice pass where you don't risk crashing the other racer.

No problem man. Honestly it was my fault too because I knew you had little grip on those tires. I should have assumed you'd be pitting soon. Instead I was aggressive and started to pass. The hit did cause minor wheel damage to my front left, but my speed and lap times didn't suffer so no worries.

Speaking of Gutterboy, I immediately want to nominate him for the spirit of translator-san award. He was by far the best backmarker I've ever seen, and he fully understands what to do.

At one point, I caught up to him as he was exiting the pits. His tires were cold so naturally he was a bit slower. He gave me room to overtake and I was on my way. One lap later, he was warmed up, and I had damage already from lap 1 so I was slower. He passed me on the straightaway and went on about his business. This is how a backmarker should be. He was out of my way when I was faster, but when he became faster than me then he waited for the right moment and overtook me. Well done man.

MemoryCure: No problem, it was a tough spot on the track, but my only suggestion would be that you let us clear you completely before you start pushing hard again. Toxa and I were battling it for 2nd place, and I went to take an inside line on the S curve but you were right there overtaking me. lol I know I had damage but I was still fast enough to try to defend 2nd from Toxa. :)

The bottom line is shit happens, and it gets crazy out there sometimes. I know everyone is trying to do their best to race respectfully so I'm not bothered by it. :)

I also agree with Gutterboy that people need to calm down a bit on lap 1. Being that I started in 12th place (???????? WTF PD, FIX THIS SHIT LOL) I was able to see a very good view of the whole grid going into the first turn. People were all over the place trying to get by each other and bumping into each other.

I think Angst said it best a while back, "you can't win the race on lap 1, but you can lose it." Or something to that effect. :p

Glad we found out how to temporarily fix the cloaking devices. I only hope they fix that bug. :/

Edit: I'll be uploading an NTSC replay.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
Yeah sorry for the rage dump. This is all very fun and in the end it is worth it. I just put much more time into round 3 than I did into the lead up of round 1. So much build up for these Saturday races and I was just in the red when I had to pit twice in first two laps.

I don't blame anyone. It happens. I am sure I will or have fucked someone else up. Like I said, the silver lining was a great back and forth battle with Angst. Will definitely be caping that shit.
LOL, it's all good. At least you were not the cause of your bad race, I was my own enemy on that damn second hairpin!

Juicy Bob

gutterboy44 said:

Can I suggest we consider switching damage off for the remaining races?

Mush

gutterboy44 said:

I feel exactly the same way. I had some great practice over the week and thought I had a good shot at some decent points, only to have it taken away at the first turn. :/

Juicy Bob said:
After a couple of laps, MetalMurphy and I had a scrap and as we were side-by-side down the pit straight we made contact on the run into Turn 1. I thought I left enough room but I also thought that I was ahead by the time we reached the braking point and was concentrating on the corner and not my mirrors. So Metal: I wasn't trying to squeeze you or anything and to be honest I have no idea what happened. I'll have to check the replay but if it turns out it was more my fault and less of a racing-incident I apologise. Either way it left me with engine trouble which crippled me for an entire lap. By the time I pitted, I stuck the mediums on and hoped that would last me 'til the flag.!

haha! My brother was watching and he shouted "The fuck! That guy is a dick!" lol

But seriously, it's all good. I didn't think it was anything major. I felt "squizzed" but nothing isn't supposed to happen in these races. In other words, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Mush said:
I feel exactly the same way. I had some great practice over the week and thought I had a good shot at some decent points, only to have it taken away at the first turn. :/

I fucking crushed you (as in hit you very very hard) on lap 2. I thought I could squeak by but I T-boned you at ridiculous speeds as you re entered the track. Sorry for sterilizing you and ending your future generations.

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
Can I suggest we consider switching damage off for the remaining races?
I think the result from that will be carnage. Using other cars like bumpers in corners etc. Keep the damage, it makes it more interesting and gives you a shot at catching up to the guys in front.

In other news: PAL replay will be ready in 5 minutes.

Top Bottom