• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Oh and thanks Gutter for the default/minor tweak suggestion, my handling improved quite a bit! after setting it back to default, setting my transmission settings, and adjusting my front end Anti-roll bar a notch -- I able to effortlessly (somewhat) cut into turns instead of fighting with my car to stay inside.

Angst said:
I think the result from that will be carnage. Using other cars like bumpers in corners etc. Keep the damage, it makes it more interesting and gives you a shot at catching up to the guys in front.

Definitely, prevents people from also making reckless decisions and add "real" consequences.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Juicy Bob said:
Can I suggest we consider switching damage off for the remaining races?
I think that hard damage has only helped keep everybody careful. Which is a good thing.

Yeah, despite the race hindering effect of damage, we need to keep it on heavy. Otherwise people will just go bonsai. Can we get some race stewards to watch race replays and make penalty decisions? I know everyone means well, but what is the point of rewarding all of these points if people can just continue to punt others and finish without any issue.

I think we need to start setting up some ground rules to make sure everyone is properly synched to the game. Here's my suggestion:

- Everyone needs to be in the server BEFORE qualification.
- When the server host/race organizer says he's doing a Synch check everyone shuts the hell up unless spoken to (to avoid confusion)
- Change tracks to reset times.
- Everyone joins the race but stays in pit and say "PITTED". You DON'T go off racing afterwards. Stay in the pit.
- After everyone is there the race organizer says how many players are supposed to be in the race.
- If you don't see everyone in the player list (don't waste time looking for the car), or if someone isn't showing with a car (blue highlight) you rejoin the server. BUT LET US KNOW BEFORE YOU DO. Say something like. "Not synched/rejoining". So we're not left wondering if you just dced.
- After everyone is synched the qualification can start.

P.S.- Make sure you don't mistake the spectator for a racer and start rejoining because of that :p

Metalmurphy said:
I think we need to start setting up some ground rules to make sure everyone is properly synched to the game. Here's my suggestion:

- Everyone needs to be in the server BEFORE qualification.
- When the server host/race organizer says he's doing a Synch check everyone shuts the hell up unless spoken to
- Change tracks to reset times.
- Everyone joins the race but stays in pit and say PITTED. You DON'T go off racing afterwards. Keep in the pit.
- After everyone is there the race organizer says how many players are supposed to be in the race.
- If you don't see everyone, or if someone isn't showing with a car (blue highlight) you rejoin the server. BUT LET US KNOW BEFORE YOU DO. Say something like. "Not synched/rejoining". So we're not left wondering if you just dced.
- After everyone is synched the qualification can start.

P.S.- Make sure you don't mistake the spectator for a racer and start rejoining because of that :p

Sounds good. I think throwing, "Hi, GAF" as your greeting message before a Saturday race isn't too much to ask either. That way it makes the kicking of randoms that much easier. It sucks we have to jump through the hoops due to PD's awful netcode but I think the steps you mentioned will really help.

Mush

gutterboy44 said:
Yeah, despite the race hindering effect of damage, we need to keep it on heavy. Otherwise people will just go bonsai. Can we get some race stewards to watch race replays and make penalty decisions? I know everyone means well, but what is the point of rewarding all of these points if people can just continue to punt others and finish without any issue.
If you have a issue you'd like to take up, post it and we'll vote on if it needs to be taken a look at. It's in the rules. ;)
blu said:
I think that hard damage has only helped keep everybody careful. Which is a good thing.
Not careful enough imo.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
I don't think we need to go that far, general mocking on the boards after seeing the replays should be enough, and the damage is not really one sided unless you are lucky.

Niks

Mush said:
If you have a issue you'd like to take up, post it and we'll vote on if it needs to be taken a look at. It's in the rules. ;)

Not careful enough imo.

Mush
FIA
has spoken.

But yeah I agree with Gutterboy and Mush, if wrongdoing was done, it needs to be pointed out and reviewed. Thats whats the replay is for.
Also it sets a precedent for people to think about it twice before going kamikaze during a race.

I guess the biggest flaw with analyzing replays is that we never truly know if it is awful netcode or a malicious take out in the early laps. Once we can see two drivers battling we can assume lag isn't an issue, but on the first few laps, what may look like a punt could be just awful netcode.

At this point, I might just not run qualy and start at the back for the next race and see how it plays out. This league has been damn fun so far despite one mediocre and one awful finish.

I blame the horridly low standard of AI in GT games. It teaches drivers really bad techniques and rewards them for driving like a bunch of cunts.

h3ro

Niks said:
But yeah I agree with Gutterboy and Mush, if wrongdoing was done, it needs to be pointed out and reviewed. Thats whats the replay is for.
Also it sets a precedent for people to think about it twice before going kamikaze during a race.

If that's the case, I'd like the retaining wall outside turn 4 to be brought up for review. Took out my front suspension like 6 times.

UFRA

Niks said:
Mush
FIA
has spoken.

Yup, very true.

Personally I have no issues. Anything that happened to me in this race was minor and pretty much just a result of racing.

However judging by some of the chaos I saw I'd imagine that some people may want some incidents reviewed.

@Gutterboy: That strategy is actually not too bad. I don't know why I started in 12th, but I was actually kind of happy that I did because otherwise I would have been 5th or 6th-ish I'd imagine with a 1:46 lap time.

I was able to avoid the chaos and sneak by whenever people were killing each other. lol

Dead Man

Anyway, I had fun even though I sucked, I have set the bar very low Seks. I'm off to get some much needed sleep. If anyone did have a problem with my driving, do let me know.

Mush

Looking at the replay, my first turn damage was caused by a combination of seattle and Toxa. Now, I'm not going to press charges or anything, but yeah, everyone needs to back the fuck off, considering the next 2 rounds will be street circuits with very unforgiving walls.

My race was basically ruined when I ran wide on cold tires on the second lap and crunched Gutterboy.

Niks

I think its also the fault of the issue with qualifying...

If I apparently did a lap good enough for 3 place, only to start 9, its natural to try make up as much spots as possible as soon as possible.
That leads to crashing.
The same goes in the opposite scenario. If I do a lap good enough for a 12 place starting position, and suddenly I find myself starting second, its not going to end well.

I propose we do a trial run before next race, to try out and figure a fix for qualifying on a 10+ car grid. Maybe try out Metalmurphys suggestions?...

I think the best option right now is to take a look at the first lap replays and deduct 5-10points from anyone being over aggressive during first lap clustering. I don't think it's ever malicious intent but every driver (especially the drivers in the middle and back of the pack) needs to learn to keep plenty of distance between themselves and the person in front of them.

Compared to Laguna, the first corner at Grand Valley should not have been so bad.

Niks said:
I propose we do a trial run before next race, to try out and figure a fix for qualifying on a 10+ car grid. Maybe try out Metalmurphys suggestions?...

That's a good idea. A trial first lap to give everyone an idea of what to expect. We could also use rolling starts for certain tracks where it would benefit.

UFRA

Personally I think qualifying is just broken in general. I ran a 1:46 and NEVER left the pits, and yet I started 12th.

h3ro

UFRA said:
Personally I think qualifying is just broken in general. I ran a 1:46 and NEVER left the pits, and yet I started 12th.

I ran a 1:51 and started on Pole.

DON'T FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA

UFRA

h3ro said:
I ran a 1:51 and started on Pole.

DON'T FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA

LOL

Well that proves the "fastest first" setting is broken. It doesn't even have to do with resetting vs. not-resetting times, because 1:51 was never the fastest lap and yet you had pole.

I officially deem qualifying to be broken.

UFRA

I have the official Gran Turismo pace car.

How about we do a parade lap at the start of these races, and during that lap we organize everyone into the proper places based on their qualifying times (which someone writes down) and then we do 1 lap at medium pace with no overtaking, and then the pace car goes into the pits and the race starts.

I'm joking but seriously this method would work better than PD's broken ass "fastest first LOL NOT REALLY *troll face*" setting.

Mush said:
Looking at the replay, my first turn damage was caused by a combination of seattle and Toxa. Now, I'm not going to press charges or anything, but yeah, everyone needs to back the fuck off, considering the next 2 rounds will be street circuits with very unforgiving walls.

My race was basically ruined when I ran wide on cold tires on the second lap and crunched Gutterboy.

I have to watch it from your viewpoint to see what happened. I did watched the stream a few moments ago and i was very lucky to escape the madness on turn one. I´ll try to watch the replay later on tonight in your car Mush. I did had a contact free race, so i´m not sure what happened at the start.

I agree that people need to calm down, i watched bits of the race and in some moments it looked like Need for Speed out there. Peopel are not supposed to hit each other rubbing might be racing in Nascar, but those touches are different. In a heavy damage setting, even a minor bump can ruin you race, kind of what happened with me in the first round.

My picks for MVP and Translator san are Mush and H3ro. H3ero gets the MVP for helping a pacient AND racing in the same hour. Mush gets the translator san spirit because he was a class act both times i got close to him to overtake.

(i flashed lights, did anybody spotted that? I figure i should tell i wasn´t in the same lap, so no confusions were made).

To be honest, with the confusion on the start, everybody starting out of place and the carnage that happened on lap one, i´m all for it a safety car entrance and letting everybody fix their cars, pit and rejoin the race again.

If one guy is streaming, a second guy can be racing with the GT-R Pace car to work as, yes, the pace car, and yellow flags should exist. If we can´t get 15 people on the grid, this would be great.

We really need a race steward ON the track to help give yellows and stuff. And i still think mics should be on, it really helps if you can talk and let people know where you are at the track.

To finish, Mush, i´m really feeling bad right now, i want to see how much i got into your racing line... i really thought nothing happened there :(

blu

gutterboy44 said:
I guess the biggest flaw with analyzing replays is that we never truly know if it is awful netcode or a malicious take out in the early laps. Once we can see two drivers battling we can assume lag isn't an issue, but on the first few laps, what may look like a punt could be just awful netcode.
I just went over my replay, and it seems we had a tad of rubbing right before the first right-hander: first you into me (nobody got hurt), then I slightly invaded your lane, to which it seems you did an evasive, and got your right front clipped into the car on the right (me being on the left), which gave you a flat. Then I slightly left the corner into the sands on the left, then re-entered (a tad aggressively, I admit) but you had already passed by me without any further conflicts.

edit: correction, you did not clip your tyre into the right-hand car (which was Mush's NSX), you clipped it into the back of mine, when you had to retreat from that evasive, after me invading your line, and after being closed from the right by Mush. Also, I invaded your line more than "slightly", for which I apologize, but I was just following h3ro who was right in front of me from the start. I admit I acted on a chasing instinct there, instead of keeping my proper line, which would've been the proper behavior in my case.

UFRA said:
LOL

Well that proves the "fastest first" setting is broken. It doesn't even have to do with resetting vs. not-resetting times, because 1:51 was never the fastest lap and yet you had pole.

I officially deem qualifying to be broken.

You can´t enter the pits, it resets your time. So you can´t quit even if it is to park the car. You have to set your laps, and start the race while people are running.

This way, it works, and nothing crazy happened. I had a 1´43 and started 6th, because just before the start i had entered the pits.

I´m pretty sure that´s how it works.

seattle6418 said:
You can´t enter the pits, it resets your time. So you can´t quit even if it is to park the car. You have to set your laps, and start the race while people are running.

This way, it works, and nothing crazy happened. I had a 1´43 and started 6th, because just before the start i had entered the pits.

I think you can enter the pits if you do it normally, but not if you use START > EXIT (which takes you to the pits before going to the lounge).

Juicy Bob

seattle6418 said:

Metalmurphy said:
I think you can enter the pits if you do it normally, but not if you use START > EXIT (which takes you to the pits before going to the lounge).

That would explain it. That is also retarded.

blu

seattle6418 said:

I suspect what you say is the case - I started second after the Pole, with a ~1'52 time, but I don't think I entered the pits once during qualifying.

We definitely need to figure a way around this glitch.

ashk said:
So, my first race; some quick impressions:

- I suck at qualifying (11/13)
- that may not be a bad thing since it (+ an ok start) helped me avoid the first corner carnage and get to 4th
- was running second until lap 7 when I fucked up in the last few corners and made it easy for an NSX (not sure who it was) to pass me and send me to the wall in the last corner; luckily it was just in front of the pit entrance
- decided to run on the same tyres to the end, which resulted in the car being very slippery by the end of the race, but only lost 1 place which I don't believe I could have held even if I had better tyres
- finished 4th! and very happy with the result, but need to improve my pace on worn tyres

Just watched the replay and you did a great job. We are scoring points at a steady pace, hopefully a podium is within our grasp soon. Again, great job!

I agree with some folks, we do need to sort the damage issue out some how.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dead Man said:
Anyway, I had fun even though I sucked, I have set the bar very low Seks. I'm off to get some much needed sleep. If anyone did have a problem with my driving, do let me know.

Oh, I can set that bar lower. ;)

Your tweaks helped the car. It's just a matter of the blind curve/not being used to reverse SSR5 for me. Night racing is pretty killer in GT5 as the low/high beam still sucks and in the SuperGT they aren't super useful IMO. Guess I need to up the brightness of my monitor for Saturday. :/

Dibbz

Just watched the replay, such a crazy race. I personally thought the first lap went well, was watching from Angst (you had a great first few laps, really clean and got up a few places). Took some snaps to.

5379633936_e4135a9e0c_b.jpg

5379633938_43e109874a_b.jpg

5379036657_47dc4035b9_b.jpg

5379036663_6a750bdd14_b.jpg

5379036671_72c9d23289_b.jpg

5379036673_1d89993b98_b.jpg

5379036701_84a787dc72_b.jpg

Angst your left side seemed quite damaged, your tyres were smoking like mad.

5379633932_3389e17f1b_b.jpg

Special one for Mush, since you always seem to like my pics for wallpapers :D

5379036697_a7d5e56ccc_b.jpg

Toxa

back from the dead guys, unexpected second place after the disaster of the first corner.

once again the qualifying was a failure ...

first huge lag during the start, the countdown was 3, 2 then nothing and suddenly start WTF ?!
I failed my start :(

305625GrandValleySpeedway37.jpg

I dreaded the first corner so I decided to keep my distance, I was about to escape from the disaster from the first corner When Fas l decides to get rid of me trying an impossible maneuver damaging my front right suspension :( (btw I do not see how I could have been involved in any incident with mush)

460740GrandValleySpeedway40.jpg

179965GrandValleySpeedway39.jpg

I take the second position with my damaged car, the car was still driveable but not enough to compete , Fas managed to overtake me.
my car was unstable so I was forced to pit in the fist lap.
Fas take the lead his car was also damaged but not enough to force him to pit.

I was the first to pit

374870GrandValleySpeedway13.jpg

I was so pissed off, My race was ruined in the first coner :( so I decided to push hard determined to catch up with other cars. (10th place after the pit)

216442GrandValleySpeedway14.jpg

I managed to get to the third place with some beautiful overtaking in the second hairpin

here with metalmurphy :

691020GrandValleySpeedway21.jpg

287245GrandValleySpeedway22.jpg

I was second when Ufra was in the pit .
later I was in the pit again for my planned pit stop (5th place after the stop) I pushed hard again to catch up with nabijemte for the third place :

awesome overtaking in the second hairpin

907152GrandValleySpeedway31.jpg

907198GrandValleySpeedway32.jpg

5 lap remaining I keep pushing hard Hoping to reach second place logically impossible, UFRA was really slow (his car was damaged) I was 2 second faster per lap with better tires.

I managed to catch him before the last lap, he was slowed by a backmarker and I took the opportunity to pass shortly after in the last chicane

167182GrandValleySpeedway34.jpg

696736GrandValleySpeedway35.jpg

I was worried before the race because my car was slow in my lounge today, but during the practice and tthe race my car was insanely good :) I managed to get the second fastest lap of the race

Finally I'm happy with my race but it could be worse.

my last lap

546201GrandValleySpeedway36.jpg

some random pics

968624GrandValleySpeedway15.jpg

605181GrandValleySpeedway16.jpg

909852GrandValleySpeedway17.jpg

944999GrandValleySpeedway24.jpg

469769GrandValleySpeedway26.jpg

897403GrandValleySpeedway27.jpg

655215GrandValleySpeedway28.jpg

UFRA

Great pics guys!! :D

I almost wonder if I would have pit immediately to repair if I would have had a better chance at 2nd. You're right Toxa, it slowed me down on the corners. :/

I completed like 18/21 laps with damage and still pulled of 3rd place starting from 12th. I'm pretty proud of myself. LOL

Toxa

awesome pics dibbz.

that's a shame I didn't appear during the live stream :(

UFRA said:

I almost wonder if I would have pit immediately to repair if I would have had a better chance at 2nd. You're right Toxa, it slowed me down on the corners. :/

I completed like 18/21 laps with damage and still pulled of 3rd place starting from 12th. I'm pretty proud of myself. LOL

I was wondering during the first lap if I had to stay on the track or go to the pit
but the car was uncomfortable to drive I decided to go to the pit in what proved to be a good choice.

I'm really happy for my team, 3 consecutive podium in race 3 awesome

Mush said:
Just a head's up, I will not be awarding points for qualifying as the system is fucked.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Didn't make much sense to me anyway :p

UFRA said:

21/21 for me :/

I did 11 laps with the tire damaged, so my wheel wasn't straight, when I finally fixed it I was so used to it that I was shifting sideways without wanting lol which made me crash in the same lap and bam, 10 more laps with it damaged again.

Toxa said:
back from the dead guys, unexpected second place after the disaster of the first corner.

once again the qualifying was a failure ...

first huge lag during the start, the countdown was 3, 2 then nothing and suddenly start WTF ?!
I failed my start :(

I dreaded the first corner so I decided to keep my distance, I was about to escape from the disaster from the first corner When Fas l decides to get rid of me trying an impossible maneuver damaging my front right suspension :( (btw I do not see how I could have been involved in any incident with mush)

I take the second position with my damaged car, the car was still driveable but not enough to compete , Fas managed to overtake me.
my car was unstable so I was forced to pit in the fist lap.
Fas take the lead his car was also damaged but not enough to force him to pit.

Well, i´m also saying WTF, because i don´t know if this is all lag. I didn´t had a single touch in my car, didn´t get any damage at all... didn´t you crashed with the Xanavi Nismo that looks just like my car?

I have to rewatch my own replay, because what Mush and you say doesn´t match what i saw on my screen. I didn´t hit any cars, and didn´t get any damage... i don´t understand how you got your suspension wrecked under those circunstances... well, i´ll post more after the replay.

Mush said:
Just a head's up, I will not be awarding points for qualifying as the system is fucked.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

but, but...

:(

Grinch stole my christmas!

----------------

EDIT

Just watched my replay.

I overtake Toxian right after the start, then i brake early to avoid a collision before the hairpin, Toxian overtakes me on the outside, i get out of the turn with Mush on the outside... after that, i approach toxian and overtake him on the inside on the second hairpin, just before T1.

Then i pass H3ro just before the tunnel.

I can´t see any touches with any of those three passes... if you guys are seeing anything different... any chance we can watch it on youtube?

If Toxian got damage for the first corner, then i don´t know what to say about the game... we´re like 2 feet apart...

Replay sucks because i can´t fix on the outside view of my car... would like to watch from different angles, but again, i didn´t got any damage at all on both instances.

Toxa

seattle6418 said:
Well, i´m also saying WTF, because i don´t know if this is all lag. I didn´t had a single touch in my car, didn´t get any damage at all... didn´t you crashed with the Xanavi Nismo that looks just like my car?

I have to rewatch my own replay, because what Mush and you say doesn´t match what i saw on my screen. I didn´t hit any cars, and didn´t get any damage... i don´t understand how you got your suspension wrecked under those circunstances... well, i´ll post more after the replay.

no it was you :p

305625GrandValleySpeedway37.jpg

460608GrandValleySpeedway38.jpg

and BAM :

460740GrandValleySpeedway40.jpg

My car is damaged my replay shows that your car was also damaged

and I slide into Mush

179965GrandValleySpeedway39.jpg

865918GrandValleySpeedway41.jpg

210570GrandValleySpeedway42.jpg

pure racing incident

Top Bottom