• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Toxa

Toxa said:
I just noticed if fas wins another race it will be mathematically almost impossible to catch him

according to my calculations only salacious can catch him if he wins 3 races

so far 3 races :

3 win by a GTR
3 pole by a GTR
3 fastest lap by a GTR

we know there is a gap in performance between the GTR and some cars like the Lexus or the NSX 08 (except the Xanavi Z I don't know about the other NSX) So even if you are an excellent driver it's almost impossible to get the pole rewards or the fastest lap reward during the race with a lexus or a NSX 08.

IMO these rewards contributes to unbalance the championship even more making almost impossible to catch up fas if you don't own a GTR.

I also think the special reward points should only reward the drivers and not the teams.

Niks

Salacious Crumb said:
Fastest time so far: 1.16.063
Crumb remember that GOD MODE is not allowed.
Its been known for a while that seattle or crumb will win this thing easy. Best drivers + best cars. The fight for second and third is still red hot however.

Salacious Crumb said:
Just put in my first few practice laps at SSR5R. Very close walls and poor visibility, this weekend promises to be a race of carnage lol.
Yeah very easy to miscalculate and hit the walls.

I think the 1 lap race before the proper race is the best bet by far. GT5 does get the grid correct race to race, but it doesn't get it correct when we just try to manipulate the system with the Free Run into Race.

As long as the timing sheet accurately reflects everyone's times in Free Run/Qualy we then say, ok done, take a pic with your phone whatever, have the spectator/streamer keep up the timing sheet. Qualy is over, every one in the pits. We start a one lap race, no one moves a god damn inch off the grid. The spectator via chat tells a car one by one, in order of P1 and down to go a head. They set off at a pace lap pace as to not crash. Next car is told to go, etc. As long as we put the time allowed to finish for this 1 lap race at a very high margin and people are making sure their position they cross the line at is the one they were told is their grid position, it should be pretty painless. It is just a necessity that we are all on the same page going into the new qualy system.

Any cars intentionally trying to alter the grid position during the 1 lap race/grid sorting are DQ and kicked from the server. Done.

Toxa

Niks said:
Crumb remember that GOD MODE is not allowed.
Its been known for a while that seattle or crumb will win this thing easy. Best drivers + best cars. The fight for second and third is still red hot however.

salacious was absent during the previous races, fas was able to easily crush the races.

I'm ranked 2nd and I'm already out for the championship (lmao) if fas finished on the podium for his next race, ... so unfair :(

Now I hope salacious will be able to fight for first place to maintain the suspense for the final race

gutterboy44 said:
I think the 1 lap race before the proper race is the best bet by far. GT5 does get the grid correct race to race, but it doesn't get it correct when we just try to manipulate the system with the Free Run into Race.
Manipulate the system? Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Free Run = Qualifying

Also, changing the Lap settings will reset all the cars if they're on the track so it probably resets the times too.

Metalmurphy said:
Manipulate the system? Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Free Run = Qualifying

Also, changing the Lap settings will reset all the cars if they're on the track so it probably resets the times too.

I am not sure how you can still think Free Run is Qualifying when it has yet to ever reflect the Free Run results correctly on the race grid. It is free run, if it was qualifying it would have a set time, a leader board and people's times displayed next to their name. But no PD is so fucking incompetent the best we get is Free Run.

It isn't your times that matter for the next race, it is your finishing position. Changing the lap amount back up to the full race distance after the 1 lap race shouldn't matter, the next Race that starts, not Free Run, will have the grid according to the setting, eg slowest first, finishing order, random.

Edit: We can easily test this during the week.

gutterboy44 said:
I am not sure how you can still think Free Run is Qualifying when it has yet to ever reflect the Free Run results correctly on the race grid. It is free run, if it was qualifying it would have a set time, a leader board and people's times displayed next to their name. But no PD is so fucking incompetent the best we get is Free Run.

It isn't your times that matter for the next race, it is your finishing position. Changing the lap amount back up to the full race distance after the 1 lap race shouldn't matter, the next Race that starts, not Free Run, will have the grid according to the setting, eg slowest first, finishing order, random.
It does if people don't quit to lounge or quit to pits (not the same as just going into pits). But all this is easy to test.

Anyone willing to jump on a server right now to test all the options out?

Metalmurphy said:
It does if people don't quit to lounge or quit to pits (not the same as just going into pits). But all this is easy to test.

Anyone willing to jump on a server right now to test all the options out?

Both Round 1 and Round 3, I never left the track. I pulled to the side of the road so my time was never removed. Both races I started 2nd place and in neither were my times 2nd place in free run. It is a crap shoot and peoples times aren't even displayed in your HUD. You have to leave the pits and back to the lobby to see the board, it is awful.

gutterboy44 said:
Both Round 1 and Round 3, I never left the track. I pulled to the side of the road so my time was never removed. Both races I started 2nd place and in neither were my times 2nd place.
Yeah but maybe everyone in front of you did :p Specially after all that time we were trying to synch cars.

Like I said, this can be easily tested with just 3 cars if anyone is willing to.

Angst

Round 3 I had the bug where I wasn't fully synched and could only see 8 cars. So I quit and rejoined and tried to do a quick qualification lap.

During the lap I got another weird bug. Time differences showed as 999.99.99.999 or something to that effect. Pretty weird and obviously that put me dead last. We needed to start the race so I didn't bother complaining about it or rejoining the lobby again.

As far as I see it the quali system is broken and we'll just have to live with it. I actually prefer to start dead last than in the middle of the pack

Angst said:
Round 3 I had the bug where I wasn't fully synched and could only see 8 cars. So I quit and rejoined and tried to do a quick qualification lap.

During the lap I got another weird bug. Time differences showed as 999.99.99.999 or something to that effect. Pretty weird and obviously that put me dead last. We needed to start the race so I didn't bother complaining about it or rejoining the lobby again.

As far as I see it the quali system is broken and we'll just have to live with it. I actually prefer to start dead last than in the middle of the pack
I thought it was agreed that tuned sublight engines weren't allowed in this league.

Toxa

Angst said:

During the lap I got another weird bug. Time differences showed as 999.99.99.999 or something to that effect.

same for me

I´m pretty sure the qualify is fine as long as you don´t go into the pits.

Just run for 15 minutes, set the laps, and don´t quit, not even for the pits. Your times should be registred and the grid should represent the actual fast laps.

Racing with 3 or 4 friends i haven´t had issues with this, and i´m pretty sure what´s causing the confusion here is that everybody presses start and enter the pits.

I´ve already talked to viakado and i´m pretty sure he will run the next two or three races.

If the championship is decided by 10 points we will have something to discuss... round 3 didn´t award points for qualify, the other two rounds did... are the qualify points disabled now? Will they be back for next round? If they are back, will they be awarded for round 3?

------

Regarding the performance of the cars, it´s something that still bugs me. I´m yet to buy a premium NSX or Lexus to try, but what i did was running the standard models.

In the last round, i raced some laps offline both with my car and with the Takata Dome NSX ´03.

I got 1´43´500 with mine and 1´43´200 with the old NSX. The balance of that car was just better. So are the new NSX´s that bad compared to older model?

I think we will benefit if we allow standard models in the next season... it just opens up a lot of possibilities. If the Lexus are really as bad as you guys say, then it´s a shame. I thought they would be more equal. How about the two supras? Are they any good?

Also, my Autech GTR has different specs compared to the other ´08 models... are they really different? (less torque and more weight... if i´m not mistaken the same happens with the NSX´s).

Toxa

seattle6418 said:
Regarding the performance of the cars, it´s something that still bugs me. I´m yet to buy a premium NSX or Lexus to try, but what i did was running the standard models.

In the last round, i raced some laps offline both with my car and with the Takata Dome NSX ´03.

I got 1´43´500 with mine and 1´43´200 with the old NSX. The balance of that car was just better. So are the new NSX´s that bad compared to older model?

I think we will benefit if we allow standard models in the next season... it just opens up a lot of possibilities. If the Lexus are really as bad as you guys say, then it´s a shame. I thought they would be more equal. How about the two supras? Are they any good?

Also, my Autech GTR has different specs compared to the other ´08 models... are they really different? (less torque and more weight... if i´m not mistaken the same happens with the NSX´s).

different time, different regulation ... but just try the lexus :p

Tom's Supra 97 is not the best car but it's a lot better than the Lexus I may switch for the Tom's Supra for the next next season.
I could switch for a GTR 08 or 03 but sometimes I hate the ease and the supra is a premium car xD

Niks said:
I think the league is doing great, other than first lap issues, no need for yellow flags. Of course Mush has the last word on this.

Remember, even pro drivers mess up on starts ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0k2tZqUr_k

A lot of this is also because we´re still not familiar with each other, and people have very different lines/braking spots.

Sometimes you really have to trust the car in front of you.

Last race i was about to lap metalmurphy in the last lap of the race, and i follow him closely for a good bit, and then proceeded to overtake him in a very dangerous spot. If one of us messed up, both would be in the wall, but things went normal because we didn´t do anything crazy there.

I thought the messed up qualify changed the nerves of everybody in the start. If the F1 would reverse and mix up the grid, of course we would have more incidents right after the start. I really believe most of the trouble on lap one was due to the bogus qualify.

Onde we set this (meaning people will make their times and NOT enter the pits), things will be way more "friendly" on first laps.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So are we doing friendly rubbin on Tsukuba tonight?

Niks

seattle6418 said:
I thought the messed up qualify changed the nerves of everybody in the start. If the F1 would reverse and mix up the grid, of course we would have more incidents right after the start. I really believe most of the trouble on lap one was due to the bogus qualify.

Once we set this (meaning people will make their times and NOT enter the pits), things will be way more "friendly" on first laps.

100% agreed.
I suggest you guys test this on todays meetup if possible.

Dibbz

Yeah Blu I'll be on for 21:00 GMT so in about 4 hours time. We'll test out the free run and qualification to begin with to see how the system works and if there are any problems we'll see if the slowest first option helps sort it out.

All this debate over the GT-R's reminds me of F1. "But they got flexi wings. BAN THEM FIA!" :lol

UFRA

Yup just got home, I'm ready.

Servers are a bit slow today?

My game sat at the GT5 logo screen for like 2 minutes before finally getting to the main menu screen.

I made a new account for the NRL so we could use a Private Lounge, but it turns out it has the same synch problems as an open room so not much use in that :/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I thought we were doing a private lobby tonight? It was part of the test, no?

Angst

Yeah, Dibbz was going to put up a private lobby at 21GMT, but it got delayed until now. Don't know where he is though.

blu said:
I thought we were doing a private lobby tonight? It was part of the test, no?
Oh... Gonna have to use the NRL account then (btw this account can be shared by hosters so it makes it easier to keep the same friend list). Mine's full.

Everyone add GT5NRL. That one ain't full lol.

Angst

Metalmurphy: I'd like to let Dibbz try hosting a private server first as he seemed to have less issues last time. If that's ok with you?

Or we just start with MM's lobby? In that case, join us instead Dibbz.

At least we shouldn't split the participants up as we need a few people for tests.

Edit - sorry guys I have to pull out of the test. Got up at the crack of dawn today (4.30) to catch a flight and I'm starting to feel ill from lack of sleep... :-/ I would have been ok at 22.00 (GMT+1), but now I'm falling apart.

Angst said:
Metalmurphy: I'd like to let Dibbz try hosting a private server first as he seemed to have less issues last time. If that's ok with you?

Or we just start with MM's lobby? In that case, join us instead Dibbz.

Either way is cool with me. Does Dibbz have room for everyone on the FL? :p

I'll be hosting anyway, when Dibbz gets here we can change. The same Private Lounge can still be hosted by anyone, it's the first one to join the Private Lounge that becomes the host.

UFRA

Dibbz said:
Don't see anyone online in GT5 so I've made a private lobby. Join me send my a FR PSN is Dibbz

Just give it a minute, back out to the main menu screen if you have to.

3 of us are in a room right now, you can join via my profile.

UFRA said:
Just give it a minute, back out to the main menu screen if you have to.

3 of us are in a room right now, you can join via my profile.

So that works? i thought it did but saw some people say it didnt :\

Dibbz

The result is in Qualification works and has always worked.

The HUD just updates when someone goes to the pits via the pause menu but there best lap time is still saved.

So essentially if you get pole and quit to pits via the start menu everyone will think they have moved up a place but the game still logs that pole position lap so when the race starts the grid order is technically correct. If you enter the pits manually via the pit lane on the track the hud doesn't remove you from the list.

Still testing right now with the other gaffers. Been an interesting night :D

UFRA

Dibbz said:
The result is in Qualification works and has always worked.

The HUD just updates when someone goes to the pits via the pause menu but there best lap time is still saved.

So essentially if you get pole and quit to pits via the start menu everyone will think they have moved up a place but the game still logs that pole position lap so when the race starts the grid order is technically correct. If you enter the pits manually via the pit lane on the track the hud doesn't remove you from the list.

Still testing right now with the other gaffers. Been an interesting night :D

Yup, sure has been interesting lol.

I'm glad we got qualification sorted out though. It's comforting to know we can set a lap, then safely use the start menu to exit to the pits and still have our time saved. :D

It's so convenient being able to just warp back to the pits, I'd have been upset to find out we couldn't do that.

Top Bottom