• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SHUT UP AND MAKE A PRACTICE ROOM TONIGHT MR. OBSESSED ABOUT FINGERPRINTS. :|

(Otherwise I'm doing LBP2)

UFRA

TheSeks said:
SHUT UP AND MAKE A PRACTICE ROOM TONIGHT MR. OBSESSED ABOUT FINGERPRINTS. :|

(Otherwise I'm doing LBP2)

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :p

SSR5 practice room will be going up in about one hour. A nice turnout would be cool. :)

I will post when the room is up.

TheSeks

UFRA said:
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :p

SSR5 practice room will be going up in about one hour. A nice turnout would be cool. :)

I will post when the room is up.

Not one hour. Three hours. 7PM EST or there about as I'm about to head out to do my weekly volunteering for a couple of hours. >_>

UFRA

TheSeks said:
Not one hour. Three hours. 7PM EST or there about as I'm about to head out to do my weekly volunteering for a couple of hours. >_>

But....but....I.....er....I mean..............fine. :(

6PM CST
7PM EST

Practice room will start at those times. Possibly earlier.

UFRA

Metalmurphy said:
Too late for me.

I'm gonna go shovel my driveway quick since it snowed last night.

Then I'll hop on and get the room started to try and accommodate for more people. Shouldn't be more than like 25 minutes.

Dibbz

Fun practice but I'm still having problems with Toxa, even after I and he left the room and joined again. Not sure if I was the only one who couldn't see him, I think UFRA might be in the same boat as me but there were others who could see him.

Maybe Shadow was right and it's because his nat type is french, not sure though :lol

Had a good race with Nab's thought I'd take some pics of it.

5393874267_c6d99d0b56_b.jpg

5393874269_c0cea27ce5_b.jpg

5393874273_3d73b664b9_b.jpg

TheSeks

Get home 30 mins late due to traffic. Don't get practice with other cars. *mumble grumble*

Guess I'm going to LBP2 then. :/

Dibbz said:
Fun practice but I'm still having problems with Toxa, even after I and he left the room and joined again. Not sure if I was the only one who couldn't see him, I think UFRA might be in the same boat as me but there were others who could see him.

Maybe Shadow was right and it's because his nat type is french, not sure though :lol

Had a good race with Nab's thought I'd take some pics of it.

[]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/5393874267_c6d99d0b56_b.jpg[/img]
[]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5393874269_c0cea27ce5_b.jpg[/img]
[]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5393874273_3d73b664b9_b.jpg[/img]

Did you tell him that he doesn't actually need to leave the server? <.<

Dibbz

lol well I joined when they were in the middle of a race and I couldn't see him but he was in it. Then went to the looby after the race and he was in it. Then we done another race and he was in it but I didn't see him. So we both went from track to lobby to track and it didn't sort it out.

Then think GT5 got stuck on load screen or something so people quit and we rejoined but the problem was still there.

No idea why this is happening specifically with Toxa only. I've had races with him loads of times before and it was always fine, unless something has changed on his end.

UFRA

I can see Toxa, I was just asking to see if anyone else was having issues.

Seems like Dibbz' and Toxa's ISP's don't like each other. When Dibbz hosts, Toxa can't join, and when I host, Toxa and Dibbz don't see each other. Either way it's not a good deal.

Not really sure what else we can do. It's most definitely a game bug. :/

Dibbz said:
Then think GT5 got stuck on load screen or something so people quit and we rejoined but the problem was still there.

I hate when that happens. One time I had an almost full server, like 14 people or so, all randoms, prepping to do a 30mins race on the ring with day/night cycle, took like 40mins to get them all and BAM, black screen >.<

UFRA said:
I can see Toxa, I was just asking to see if anyone else was having issues.

Seems like Dibbz' and Toxa's ISP's don't like each other. When Dibbz hosts, Toxa can't join, and when I host, Toxa and Dibbz don't see each other. Either way it's not a good deal.

Not really sure what else we can do. It's most definitely a game bug. :/
Doesn't make much sense to me tbh. If someone else hosts Toxas info will be sent to Dibbz by the host, not by Toxa himself.

Mush

T3FYQ.jpg

Course Map

jgtvV.png

Race Info

-27 Laps/63.52mi/102.24km

Preview write-up by Mush

The last race before the mid-season break, Special Stage Route 5 is another GT classic, having been in every game since GT1. As well as being the first of 2 street circuits featured on the calendar, it is the first of the 2 scheduled night races, making visibility difficult. Not only will drivers have the darkness to contend with, but the unforgiving concrete that lines the track. With very little room for error, consistency is advised over pure speed; mistakes will only lead to lost positions and more pit stops. Drivers are also advised to be extra fucking careful racing against other cars or Mush will be very very sad. And no one wants to see Mush sad, do they? In terms of the most important section of the track, Sector 3 with it's sweeping S bends and narrow track space is important to a fast lap time. But as mentioned before, consistency is far more important than speed on a track where those who can avoid the walls and stay out of trouble may be the ones who take the chequered flag.

TheSeks

UFRA said:
.[multiple laughing blue smileys]

I know, right? It's gonna be pure madness. That S bend near the start of the track is blind. High-beams won't alert you to it (because the highbeams suck) so you're like "left-right-left-OH SHIT *slam into wall*"

You're on this track as well, right? It's gonna be pure madness for an hour for my first race.

Mush

Toxa said:
day/night for the nurburgring
SHHH! Don't tell anyone but it's going to be an endurance-ish race with full weather/time stuff. Keep it a secret and remember don't tell anyone!

Toxa

Mush said:
SHHH! Don't tell anyone but it's going to be an endurance-ish race with full weather/time stuff. Keep it a secret and remember don't tell anyone!

Hot damn, just perfect :)

TheSeks

Good thing I'm not doing that track (sucks for Dead Man).

Also I dunno if it's the settings I'm using, but tire wear isn't that bad, guys. Just did 15 laps (mind numbing, probably will be better with other cars) and my tires were only 50-75% done and I never pitted. Sure, they gave out a few times (once spinning me 360 completely), but nothing too dangerous, IMO. But I'm not a racer, so what the hell do I know?

Lap times for me are between 1:35-:36 to 1:50-:55ish. No way in hell I'm going to compete with Crumb. I'm probably going to be dead last as well. hah.

I'm not concerned with how long I can go without pitting. But driving along side other vehicles with well wore tires can lead to unpredictable situations, I'd rather deal with extra time added to my lap time than potentially cause an accident, there is a huge difference when racing on an occupied track.

And as long as you can remain consistent with your lap times, you'll be alright; Crumb is god mode, I wouldn't worry about him.

brentech

For the 4 pictures within the last bunch of posts that were made on SSR5(r), I'm curious if that's actually how bright it is for you guys (exposure changes on photos)? It's extremely dark on my end and I'm not sure if I should adjust in some way - cause my level of visibility is NO WHERE near that of which I'm seeing =\

add edit: I was pretty sloppy with the others in practice today. Mostly clean with other drivers, but just made stupid mistakes and slid into walls way more than my other practice sessions. The other day I ran about (9) 1.21.xx laps in a row and generally don't go too far over or under that, but today was pretty nasty. Hopefully I can brush that up tomorrow.

TheSeks

Eh, the tires didn't give out except maybe four times, and that's because I went a little hard on them. People riding on low tires shouldn't be too much an issue. It's a matter of "when" to pit more than anything.

brentech

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
@Brentech -- I would suggest adjusting your brightness via the in-game options.
Went down to give it a try. Was afraid normal day tracks would over saturate, but by adjusting in-game 'exposure' setting by +0.4 it seems to give me much more realistic night visibility without hampering other tracks.

Appreciate the tip. Hadn't spent much time in the options menu.

UFRA

TheSeks said:
You're on this track as well, right? It's gonna be pure madness for an hour for my first race.

No, sir. I get to comfortably watch on the sidelines via stream while my partner Niks gets to have his car destroyed in the upcoming destruction derby. LOL :p

Good luck everyone.

I wouldn't worry about pit strategies. I'd say everyone has an 80% chance of having to pit due to damage at some point. Even if Crumb manages to sneak away in the beginning, when it comes to lapping back markers things will get rough I'm sure. It's just a tough track when it's in reverse.

And you're right, Seks. The headlights are rubbish. Specifically at that first chicane after turn 1, I always am like "WTF where is the wall *BANG* Oh, there it is..."

I don't have any issues with this track normally, but in reverse it's a killer. I did manage a 1:17.4 today during a race though. Not bad for being the only time I even tried this track in reverse lol.

TheSeks said:
Eh, the tires didn't give out except maybe four times, and that's because I went a little hard on them. People riding on low tires shouldn't be too much an issue. It's a matter of "when" to pit more than anything.

O...k. But I'm sure you've also noticed how inconsistent your lap times are? ...weak grip accounts for that. The matter of "when" depends on many factors including player's driving ability. It is more than just deciding to swap out tires "when" they are sufficiently depleted, also factoring in your running lap times and remaining consistent with your average time.

But you seem like an expert, so... See you on track!

Edit: I play too much Nascar. Go fast, turn left, pit -- repeat. SSR5 is a tight track, you can't make too many mistakes with 10+ cars on the track.

Angst

Mush said:
It would be sooooooo good if GT5 allowed us to participate with both drivers in the team in long online races and then swap seats in the pit stop.

Mush

Angst said:
It would be sooooooo good if GT5 allowed us to participate with both drivers in the team in long online races and then swap seats in the pit stop.
Don't worry, it's only the no.1 thing I wanted for GT5...

:(

Dead Man

TheSeks said:
Good thing I'm not doing that track (sucks for Dead Man).

Also I dunno if it's the settings I'm using, but tire wear isn't that bad, guys. Just did 15 laps (mind numbing, probably will be better with other cars) and my tires were only 50-75% done and I never pitted. Sure, they gave out a few times (once spinning me 360 completely), but nothing too dangerous, IMO. But I'm not a racer, so what the hell do I know?

Lap times for me are between 1:35-:36 to 1:50-:55ish. No way in hell I'm going to compete with Crumb. I'm probably going to be dead last as well. hah.
Well, from my practise today, I can say I am glad you are doing this one! The 'ring might be crazy, but at least it is a few weeks off yet. I did get a lap of 1:17 though, so I was happy with that, but I could not go two laps without hitting a wall somewhere. So just keep it off the walls and you will be doing better than me!

Angst

Regarding tyre wear:

I did the god-awfully boring endurance at Indy 500 recently. I started out with racing softs and had to pit after 29 laps. I wanted to do more laps before hitting the pits again so I switched to racing hards. I was pretty surprised when they deteriorated faster than the softs! I had to pit after 20 laps to switch to softs again.

ashk

Last night's races were pretty fun and intense, especially the last one I did with Dibbz :) It was also surprisingly clean considering the track. Overtaking an equal or even slightly slower opponent without him making a mistake is pretty much impossible except on the start/finish straight. The main race is sure to be pretty exciting for everyone involved. If people race like in the practice race there shouldn't be too many incidents, but then again tyre wear didn't come into play in those 5 laps. But I think that as long as people accept the fact that overtaking is next to impossible and don't do any banzai maneuvers it should be alright :)

Angst

ashk I've sent you a friend request which you seem to be ignoring :p I'm SWEandroid72 on PSN. Didn't write anything in the message so it might have seemed a bit random :)

ashk

Angst said:
ashk I've sent you a friend request which you seem to be ignoring :p I'm SWEandroid72 on PSN. Didn't write anything in the message so it might have seemed a bit random :)

I remembered it was a GAF PSN ID from the race, and I accepted when as I saw it a few days ago. Just checked on my account and you show up on my friends list.

Angst

ok, cool :)

Has anybody started practicing R246 btw? I think I will do 20-30 laps on saturday, anybody on my friends list is welcome to join. I won't do an open lobby as that will get a lot of randoms and I don't want to deal with them.

TheSeks

Dead Man said:
Well, from my practise today, I can say I am glad you are doing this one! The 'ring might be crazy, but at least it is a few weeks off yet. I did get a lap of 1:17 though, so I was happy with that, but I could not go two laps without hitting a wall somewhere. So just keep it off the walls and you will be doing better than me!

Minus a few areas, I shouldn't hit too many walls. Provided I'm not getting hit by other cars.

Toxa

Angst said:
ok, cool :)

Has anybody started practicing R246 btw? I think I will do 20-30 laps on saturday, anybody on my friends list is welcome to join. I won't do an open lobby as that will get a lot of randoms and I don't want to deal with them.

I'm not a big fan of R246 :D

quick test:

1.35.7 with supra/gtr 1.34 is possible
1.36.4 with Lexus

the first corner is really important.

GTR are still faster but for the first time it was comfortable to drive , no more oversteer you can push the car

Angst

Toxa said:
I'm not a big fan of R246 :D

quick test:

1.35.7 with supra/gtr 1.34 is possible
1.36.4 with Lexus

the first corner is really important.

GTR are still faster but for the first time it was comfortable to drive , no more oversteer you can push the car
OK, cool. I haven't even tried it yet. Might do a little practice later, but I'm pretty hung over this Saturday as well so I think I'll just watch the stream later on.

TheSeks

The first corner in R246 is the only bad one. Straight up 90 degree turn, WTF. :/

That said, the rest of the track isn't too bad and it's probably my favorite track (bright, urban... only thing is the HDR recalculation if you shift view bug. WTF.) in the game.

Top Bottom