• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Dibbz

UFRA said:
Yup, sure has been interesting lol.

I'm glad we got qualification sorted out though. It's comforting to know we can set a lap, then safely use the start menu to exit to the pits and still have our time saved. :D

It's so convenient being able to just warp back to the pits, I'd have been upset to find out we couldn't do that.
I'd still recommend against that tbh (Nurburgring could be an exception) but it's handy when qualifying to know how well you are doing in comparison to everyone else.

At least we know now that the grid in the race is correct.

l2ounD

Hmmm... On Laguna I think I got in a 1.21 something qualifier and I ended up 10th on the grid. I did exit back to the lounge and rejoined before that time, but if it calculated it correctly that would mean the 9 in front post in the low 1.21s or better. Which should have meant less backmarkers during the race. So there could still be issues, maybe in connection with the invisible cars...

Mush

Yeah, sorry I couldn't make it guys (if you saw me online it was probably someone else in my household), could someone report on what happened today? :3

Mush said:
Yeah, sorry I couldn't make it guys (if you saw me online it was probably someone else in my household), could someone report on what happened today? :3

It was terrible. Dibbz PS3 fried, Toxa's connection is a dud, I broke my foot in the clutch pedal, UFRA didn't chew is food and chocked, white_shadow died and became a ghost. List goes on.

We figured out Qualifying works just fine even if you go to the pits, and that to resynch cars you don't actually have to leave the server, just re-enter the track

Niks

l2ounD said:
Hmmm... On Laguna I think I got in a 1.21 something qualifier and I ended up 10th on the grid. I did exit back to the lounge and rejoined before that time, but if it calculated it correctly that would mean the 9 in front post in the low 1.21s or better. Which should have meant less backmarkers during the race. So there could still be issues, maybe in connection with the invisible cars...

Same here.
At Laguna I was second in the timings, stayed on track, and still I ended starting 6? I seriously doubt the four guys starting ahead of me were faster at some point during quali.

maybe with big grids it all goes to hell? We need a test with more people just to be sure.

Niks said:
Same here.
At Laguna I was second in the timings, stayed on track, and still I ended starting 6? I seriously doubt the four guys starting ahead of me were faster at some point during quali.

maybe with big grids it all goes to hell? We need a test with more people just to be sure.
You need to ignore the hud. Leaving to pits will mess it up, multiply that by multiple people leaving to pits several times and you got one big messed up grid on the hud, but the lap times are still saved correctly.

However, invisible people might cause further problems yes, for example, their times might not be registered in the host, or if the host sees it they are, but not for anyone else. That's why everyone should resynch the game before qualification starts. Really easy now that we figured out that you dont actually have to leave the server.

But besides that, qualifications in free run do work. We tested everything. Entering pits normally, entering pits through start menu, leaving to lounge, etc.

UFRA

Metalmurphy said:
You need to ignore the hud. Leaving to pits will mess it up, multiply that by multiple people leaving to pits several times and you got one big messed up grid on the hud, but the lap times are still saved correctly.

However, invisible people might cause further problems yes, for example, their times might not be registered in the host, or if the host sees it they are, but not for anyone else. That's why everyone should resynch the game before qualification starts. Really easy now that we figured out that you dont actually have to leave the server.

But besides that, qualifications in free run do work. We tested everything. Entering pits normally, entering pits through start menu, leaving to lounge, etc.

Yup, I bet you're right too - invisible people probably cause some of the issues that make it SEEM like qualification doesn't work. It could mess up the entire grid for all we know.

But we know for sure that with people who can see each other, the qualification works, regardless of how screwed up the HUD seems.

Dibbz

Might be on tonight Niks, not 100% though.

Does anyone here have the Forumla GT? I really need to do that championship.

Dibbz said:
Might be on tonight Niks, not 100% though.

Does anyone here have the Forumla GT? I really need to do that championship.

I got two... But I only give them away to winners and random selectors of the NRPC :p

Gotta get more people to participate >.<

Dibbz

Thanks for the car Toxa. Just started the championship and bloody hell it's hard. Completely different from driving any other car.

I still refuse to call this system a working form of qualification. A system where no one's times are accurately displayed, times can be lost seemingly at will in larger servers, "best time" is not accurate of your own time or of the pole time, and no way of seeing everyone else's time without exiting to lobby in turn losing your own time, "Qualifying"

It is so important to know other racers times during qualy and equaly important to know the grid before starting the race. I want to know who is around me and how I should behave accordingly.

Fix this shit PD

gutterboy44 said:
I still refuse to call this system a working form of qualification. A system where no one's times are accurately displayed, times can be lost seemingly at will in larger servers, "best time" is not accurate of your own time or of the pole time, and no way of seeing everyone else's time without exiting to lobby in turn losing your own time, "Qualifying"

It is so important to know other racers times during qualy and equaly important to know the grid before starting the race. I want to know who is around me and how I should behave accordingly.

Fix this shit PD

Actually, if everyone starts at the same time, doesn't leave, and everyone is properly synched every thing works perfectly. The problem is that late joiners don't get all the data that already happened.

Dibbz

gutterboy44 said:

Fix this shit PD
Yeah I agree with you gutter it's a shame that the actual times displayed on the hud can go wrong but like Metal said if no one leaves to pits via that start menu then we will have the correct grid order displayed.

There is still a problem with peoples connections though. Yesterday I was having problems seeing Toxa's car and leaving the track and joining again wasn't sorting it out for some reason.

There's also that problem where Angst apparently was getting split times of 999:999 or something like that. Seems like we have a mixed range of connections from people all around the world that is also causing some issues.

Dibbz said:
Yeah I agree with you gutter it's a shame that the actual times displayed on the hud can go wrong but like Metal said if no one leaves to pits via that start menu then we will have the correct grid order displayed.

There is still a problem with peoples connections though. Yesterday I was having problems seeing Toxa's car and leaving the track and joining again wasn't sorting it out for some reason.

There's also that problem where Angst apparently was getting split times of 999:999 or something like that. Seems like we have a mixed range of connections from people all around the world that is also causing some issues.

Did Toxa leave and re-enter? It can go both ways. The problem could have been his.

My biggest problem is that there is no time sheet. There is no way too see every drivers best lap during Qualy. Defeats the purpose of qualification.

UFRA

Metalmurphy said:
Did Toxa leave and re-enter? It can go both ways. The problem could have been his.

No, we never fully tested that issue so Dibbz I wouldn't conclude it as a failure just yet lol.

Remember, when we asked Toxa to re-join the track he instead left the entire room altogether lol. After that I don't think we even tested that anymore.

Also, exiting to the pits is just something that's going to happen. As host, I spend a lot of time in the pits due to kicking randoms, checking player counts, etc., and there's no other way to get to that player list other than exiting to pits via start menu. So until (if) they fix the HUD problem, we just have to deal with it being incorrect.

Unfortunately, entering the pits properly only changes your tires and refuels you and sends you on your way. You can't stay there (unless I'm missing something?). I don't like the idea of a bunch of cars being parked all over the track when I'm setting a hot lap. Where would they park on SSR5 when the entire track has barriers on it?

gutterboy44 said:
My biggest problem is that there is no time sheet. There is no way too see every drivers best lap during Qualy. Defeats the purpose of qualification.

Yeah, we should be able to access the Live Timings menu in the pits.

Niks

So, just to be clear, we cant press start during the practice / qualifying? We have to stay in the track somehow?

UFRA

Niks said:
So, just to be clear, we cant press start during the practice / qualifying? We have to stay in the track somehow?

You can press start and exit to pits. We found that it does NOT delete your qualifying time and you will start the race in the correct position.

However, exiting to pits via start menu causes the in-game HUD to get messed up.

For example, lets say after 3 people set a lap time, the grid list on the right side of the HUD shows:

1 Niks
2 UFRA
3 Dibbz

You press start and exit to the pits. The grid list now shows:

1 UFRA
2 Dibbz
3 Niks

Now, it seems like you lost your time. However, we start the race, and the starting race grid will be:

1 Niks
2 UFRA
3 Dibbz

This is what we found based on 3-4 tests. Every time, our correct grid positions were retained, regardless of what the HUD shows.

Most likely, the cause of any issues on grid starting positions are due to:

-People exiting to the lobby and adjusting settings
-People being invisible and causing utter chaos
-Some other unknown variable

Perhaps we should set a rule that when qualification begins, NO ONE can go back to the lobby and adjust settings anymore. This way, we're all on the track at the same time and no one is leaving/re-entering and messing things up. During practice it wouldn't matter since we don't use those times for anything.

Niks said:
You can press Start, and you can even press quit (to the pits), but if you do that your grid list on the HUD will not represent the actual times, but your best lap is still saved.

You can't go back to lounge however.

*edit* Beaten.

Niks

UFRA said:
Perhaps we should set a rule that when qualification begins, NO ONE can go back to the lobby and adjust settings anymore. This way, we're all on the track at the same time and no one is leaving/re-entering and messing things up. During practice it wouldn't matter since we don't use those times for anything.

Thanks for the explanation.
And yes, seems that rule should be implemented then.

UFRA said:

And make sure everyone is synched before leaving pits for the qualifying.

I'm going online right now to practice, I'll make a room, if you're not on my friends list just search the public lobby for 'GAF SuperGT Practice" on SSR5.

weekend_warrior said:
I'm going online right now to practice, I'll make a room, if you're not on my friends list just search the public lobby for 'GAF SuperGT Practice" on SSR5.

It's best if you guys just use the GT5NRL account as a hub/proxy. Easier for everyone to have access to it.

Mush

Metalmurphy said:
It's best if you guys just use the GT5NRL account as a hub/proxy. Easier for everyone to have access to it.
I'm probably going to make a Super GT GAF tag just so we can avoid having to use public lobby's.

I haven't practised at all this round. Might give Stillmatic a run considering he has been. ;)

Niks

Good racing Toxa.

I will be surprised if someone gets out of this race without any damage. If slower cars stay on the racing line its very hard to pass them (without risking damage) save for the main straight.
Hopefully Mush will make the preview post soonish.

Niks said:
Good racing Toxa.

I will be surprised if someone gets out of this race without any damage. If slower cars stay on the racing line its very hard to pass them (without risking damage) save for the main straight.
Hopefully Mush will make the preview post soonish.

I actually disagree. When we had about 7 or 8 people on the track I found it pretty easy to pass people because of all the turns, going a wide or tight depending on where they go. Plus the amount of people bouncing off walls. Should make for very interesting, and hopefully tight racing.

UFRA

By the way, last night I did some tweaking to my router settings and have gained some speed and made my connection more "open" than ever so to speak. I was always NAT Type 2, but I think my router's firewall may have been a bit too strict in the past.

Perhaps this will help with the whole invisibility thing for certain people.

I'll host a SSR5 practice either tomorrow or friday to test things out. ;)

brentech

I've driven about 50-60 laps total on the course now. Went from complete unfamiliarity to feeling pretty good about the track. Hoping to remain competitive, but it will be my first race in this league.

After watching the stream of race 2 and 3, I come in with a level of fear for the first laps. Going to have to drive defensive until there is some space.

Stillmatic

Mush said:
I'm probably going to make a Super GT GAF tag just so we can avoid having to use public lobby's.

I haven't practised at all this round. Might give Stillmatic a run considering he has been. ;)
OH MY...

fqphpf1c.i3u.jpg

NERVES!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You guys did a round? I went to LBP2 since no one said they were making a room, goddamn it. :/

Maybe tomorrow night for an hour or two I'll get some seat time in. Minus a few blind corners and worrying about the faster cars, I think I'll be near dead last and won't have to worry too much about winning anyway. :/

Flambe

Just a question, do y'all mind non leaguers in your practice runs? =) Sounds like fun and there are so few public games with decent rules and aren't frickin nascar (yeah yeah make my own lobby hehe)

Plus it's gaf so <3

Mush

Flambe said:
Just a question, do y'all mind non leaguers in your practice runs? =) Sounds like fun and there are so few public games with decent rules and aren't frickin nascar (yeah yeah make my own lobby hehe)

Plus it's gaf so <3
Not at all, we've had had a few randoms in the past and for the most part, they were pretty good. Plus you get extra bro points for being on GAF.

Race preview coming up.

Toxa

weekend_warrior said:
I actually disagree. When we had about 7 or 8 people on the track I found it pretty easy to pass people because of all the turns, going a wide or tight depending on where they go. Plus the amount of people bouncing off walls. Should make for very interesting, and hopefully tight racing.

lol Niks wasn't able to overtake me I closed the doors easily

Angst

UFRA said:
By the way, last night I did some tweaking to my router settings and have gained some speed and made my connection more "open" than ever so to speak. I was always NAT Type 2, but I think my router's firewall may have been a bit too strict in the past.

Perhaps this will help with the whole invisibility thing for certain people.

I'll host a SSR5 practice either tomorrow or friday to test things out. ;)
Easiest thing is to put the PS3 on a static IP and put that IP in the DMZ on the router. That way you won't have to think about ports etc.

UFRA

Angst said:
Easiest thing is to put the PS3 on a static IP and put that IP in the DMZ on the router. That way you won't have to think about ports etc.

Yup I've always had my PS3 in a DMZ.

However now I also enabled "Gaming Mode" which seems to make my firewall less strict. :D

I was having a problem in DC Universe Online where everything in the game worked except for the microphones. I couldn't hear or talk to people. Now with this new router setting my mic works, so apparently the router isn't blocking certain packets anymore.

Top Bottom