• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Again with the 1st turn. Why do most drivers insist on keeping a distance of 10 feet or less away from the driver(s) ahead of you?

As I broke away from the pack and positioned myself outside of the turn, I still had other drivers riding my rear bumper -- I gradually slow down so give myself safe braking distance from the car ahead. After a few light taps, a heavy hitter takes out my rear left tire... before I even had the chance to exit the turn to the chicane, I'm slowly falling back to last place.

I eventually make it up to 8th and fell back to 9th. I'm not going to lie and say that was a fun race. It was plenty nerve racking and intense.

Backmarkers weren't much of an issue, The track doesn't leave room for errors. I would agree that as a leader, you hold a great responsibility for your own actions. Attempting to pass someone during ANY of the smaller/tighter turns isn't safe. Even the Large U/hairspin -- cautiously approach the vehicle ahead (in otherwords back off) and then pass once both you and the marker are safely out of the turn. Don't get me wrong, it's a two way street. I just feel both sides of the argument are fucked.

Sorry about the rant. I put in a lot of practice time... as I'm sure we all did.

Toxa

l2ounD said:
>,< damnit first turn, sorry If I messed anyone else up. Just couldnt stop from hitting the walls.

I'd give mvp to Nabijemte he managed to come back up from a early pit

5th place is still good

phew, what a rush! I was away for the whole week, on a work related trip and i had told viakado to race this round.

Never heard from him, tried to wait until the last minute. First i thought i was going to lose the round, but decided to race my last one and find a new team mate for the remaining races.

I did some laps in the afternoon, so at least i was familiar with the layout.

Managed to clear the first corner, so i´ll watch the stream now to see what happened.

Are we getting pole points this week? Qualify worked perfect.

Will vote after watching stream.

brentech

Since I didn't qualify well, I started in 11th. Going into the first turn I could see what lay ahead. Saw some cars go into it way too fast and instantly hit my breaks so I could take view and pass through safely. Seemed about 3-4 got tangled.

Then, As we moved through the hairpin and into the S's, someone tried to make a pass on me during one of the turns and damaged me up. I was lucky enough to be able to just drive the car with minor damage for like 12 laps. But it's those types of passes so early in a race when it's honestly not even a 'race' yet that are just completely asinine. Largely, I stayed out of any major contact, but fact is - people are just trying to pass too aggressively 95% of the time.

If anything, I got the good end of the deal here, but that doesn't mean I think it's right. Pass when it's safe and you're not just cutting someone off from making their turn.

All that said, the course was pretty varied with drivers all over it, no idea on MVP. But SoTS I'll vote for: BrLvgThrChmstry/MemoryCure
Around lap 19 I pitted based on strategy to have tires for my last laps. Can't remember if it was straight out of the pits or later on, but he essentially still drove hard and to finish as he never relinquished his place in front of me (even though I would of been lapping)...and it's not for me not trying to overtake. There is something to be said for still trying hard even after all that happened.

edit: Will just MVP to Seattle/FASJ as he's an excellent driver. This was my first race in the league and not only is he very fast, but he passes with skill and thought. Flashers going and doesn't do so in a way that risks collisions. At this point, there is more than enough to be said for that.

Niks

Having cooled down a bit I have some comments.

- qualifying worked great. Finally.
- I feel the grid was very evenly competitive this time around, most were on the pace.
- Seks Im sure most of us are willing to help drivers who are not on pace during practice sessions. I suggest people post the practice times they are achieving during the week in order to help other drivers to see if they are on pace or not.

Then we could help with setup and whatnot.

my 2 cents.

Mush

lDftvl.jpg

Race results while I wait for awards to be voted and stuff.

I just watched the race and unfortunately, we´re still having first turn problems. Now that i can´t race anymore i´ll try to organize some week practices and let´s see if we can work on overtaking maneuvers.

Races are very short, so one hit basically takes you out of the race. (i remember round one).

MVP goes to Stillmatic, who did great on his first race.

Spirit of translator san could have gone to a lot of folks tonight. Flashing lights on night courses works great, the car in front can see clearly. I didn´t had any problems overtaking people, so i´ll cast this vote on Dibbz for his perseverence through some tough breaks.

----

Brentech, thanks for the kind words!

Crumb, such a shame you missed the race. Fastest lap was 1´15´418.

;)

Mush

Still need those votes dudes, so far I've got Stillmatic (please don't make do it or I'll get backlash'd for bias) for MVP and ? for Spirit of Translator-san.

brentech

Mush said:
Still need those votes dudes, so far I've got Stillmatic (please don't make do it or I'll get backlash'd for bias) for MVP and ? for Spirit of Translator-san.
Mine was above with reasons, but short:
MVP: seattle6418
Spirit of Translator-san: BrLvgThrChmstry

I'll give my MVP vote to Seattle, cause why not, dude's just raping us out there.

I'll withhold my SoTS vote because I really don't know who deserves it this week.

edit: BTW, are we going to try and implement a rule change this week to finally try to avoid the first lap massacres? I think if we have a half-speed parade lap at the start of the race, give everyone a chance to space out, that would help make things more organized.

Dibbz

Angst said:
Dibbz I think you should be really happy with yourself for finishing in 4th place after those two incidents. You did some very nice racing as far as I could tell.

Also, could you please upload your replay file? :)
Thanks Angst. The track is so close and narrow if you don't hit the apex's on some turns you can lose a lot of time. So coming up against back markers is tricky since there is not many places for the to let you passed. I should have been able to avoid both incidents though but shit happens. Just didn't think it would happen 2 laps in a row :lol

Thanks for the vote for SoTS Seattle. Didn't expect you to run away with it like you did but you were posting some crazy lap times. Good luck with finding a partner, he will have some big boots to fill though! :D

MVP: Seattle
The guy came to his teams rescue when his partner never showed up, got pole position and won the race. I'd call that a good Saturday night :D

SoTS: Metal Murphy
Pushing hard till the very end of the race. Had a nice fight with him trying to get passed towards the end of the race. I guess this goes to show the NSX can give the Fairlady and the GT-R's a run for it's money. The driver behind the wheel is just as important as the car itself.

Uploading the PAL replay now BTW.

EDIT:- PAL replay is uploaded

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ays2ejig4bo7ib

5399743472_b577ae62c7_b.jpg

5399743474_9570c456d0_b.jpg

5399743476_18a1b8d9d4_b.jpg

5399743486_a3227df70f_b.jpg

Mush

weekend_warrior said:
edit: BTW, are we going to try and implement a rule change this week to finally try to avoid the first lap massacres? I think if we have a half-speed parade lap at the start of the race, give everyone a chance to space out, that would help make things more organized.
That's what I was hoping to do during the practice this week, try out some new stuff and see if it would work. Because we now have a weeks break before the next race, I say we try and vote in some new rules for the later half of the season, with everyone's approval of course.

What say you?

Dibbz

Personally I don't like rolling starts. The guys at the back already have a disadvantage, rolling starts just magnify that.

Dibbz said:
SoTS: Metal Murphy
Pushing hard till the very end of the race. Had a nice fight with him trying to get passed towards the end of the race. I guess this goes to show the NSX can give the Fairlady and the GT-R's a run for it's money. The driver behind the wheel is just as important as the car itself
Thanks for the vote. Those 2 (or 3?) laps were pretty intense. You had me in the straights, I had you in the corners, but I pushed it too hard and had a bit of a slip in one of the corners so I just pulled to the side to let you pass, I knew you were gonna exit with more speed then I did :p

I'll have to watch the replay a bit more to see who I vote for.

Couple of my shots:

My amazing start, started in 8th

and passed everyone till 3rd.

Into the corner, good speed, bit wide but I didn't wanna get close to those 2 battling out.

RounD hits the wall, I brake which makes me go almost in a straight:

Couldn't avoid it! Lukily I had already reduced quit a bit of speed so I only got minor damage to the wheel.

But not for long... BAM, got hit really hard in the back, 3 tires and engine damaged. Car completely ruined.

Surprised nothing worst happened considering how close some people were :p

Pitting on the first lap, and AGAIN on the second lap. I was being lapped by the second one <.<

UFRA

Mush said:
That's what I was hoping to do during the practice this week, try out some new stuff and see if it would work. Because we now have a weeks break before the next race, I say we try and vote in some new rules for the later half of the season, with everyone's approval of course.

What say you?

I like the sound of this.

Dead Man

Sounds like it was a chaotic race, as we thought it would be. I'll check out the replay file later, but Seks, don't worry about it, send me a friend request and we can practise Tokyo together if you want.

Stillmatic

Bit late to the party, but here's my voting:

MVP: seattle6418, really amazing driving.

SoTS: Very close between Dibbz and Metalmurphy, but Metalmurphy just edges him out. Great work to both of you.

Mush

2SB6i.png

Race results after 27 laps:

Mgvbg.png

Team points standings after Round Four:[/B]

fvDJg.png

Drivers Standings after Round Four

(please note, this only shows the drivers who have competed so far)

KivI8.png

Awards

Fastest Lap during Main Race: seattle6418 +10 points
Most Lead Laps: seattle6418 +10 points
MVP: seattle6418 +15 points
Spirit of Translator-san: Metalmurphy +15 points

Replays
Copy these to your XMB and import them to GT5 in the Replay menu.

Round Three - Special Stage Route 5

EL Beefo

Stillmatic said:
My 'oh shiiit!' moment of the race:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/vfeal30i.q3w.gif[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2011-01-30-18hoi53.png[img]

:O[/QUOTE]

Wow that was close, I remember when that happened. I knew my back end was pretty far out but my nose was right up against the wall so I wasn't able to straighten out without backing up first. Knowing some people were about to pass all I could do was just sit there and hope they wide, I'm honestly surprised I wasn't hit.

Stillmatic

EL Beefo said:
Wow that was close, I remember when that happened. I knew my back end was pretty far out but my nose was right up against the wall so I wasn't able to straighten out without backing up first. Knowing some people were about to pass all I could do was just sit there and hope they wide, I'm honestly surprised I wasn't hit.
I tensed up for impact, before watching the race back i thought it might've glitched and somehow i went through you, turned out it was just a really narrow miss. :)

Mush

Stillmatic said:
I tensed up for impact, before watching the race back i thought it might've glitched and somehow i went through you, turned out it was just a really narrow miss. :)
YOU WEREN'T EVEN ON THE BRAKES FOR FUCKS SAKE

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mush said:
YOU WEREN'T EVEN ON THE BRAKES FOR FUCKS SAKE

All according to plan. Note: Plan means "OH SHIT WE'RE GONNA DIE~"

Still is incredibly lucky on that. Holy shit. I'm just glad to have kept to the right and let people pass and just hope for the best while driving. :/

Salacious Crumb

D: I'm in the process of moving house and I didn't have the net up and running in time for the race, fucking Telstra!

And I see I missed a chance to go toe to toe with fas :(

Sorry guys.

Mush

Salacious Crumb said:
D: I'm in the process of moving house and I didn't have up and running in time for the race, fucking Telstra!

And I see I missed a chance to go toe to toe with fas :(

Sorry guys.
And it was prophesied that he would bring balance to force... if he bothered to show up. :p

Toxa

Stillmatic said:
My 'oh shiiit!' moment of the race:

vfeal30i.q3w.gif

:O

Hot Damn look at this move xD

I so sad for you because you really deserve the MVP points.

seattle already owns the fastest lap points, and the most led lap points I think that's enough , right ?

+ it's more easier to perform a clean race when you lead with nobody behind to put the pressure on you.

Seattle is already mathematically impossible to catch up so the what's the point ?

give the MVP points to Stillmatic giving him more chance to grab a position in the ranking

Mush

Metalmurphy said:
You have Juicy Bob there instead of El Beefo and Gutterboy instead of weekend_warrior.

I think that's all :p I'm not sure about all of them as I'm not familiar with each one's PSN ID.
All done.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rock-solid 1st race, brentech, kudos!

Stillmatic, have you checked your midichlorian levels lately?

Dibbz

Metalmurphy said:
Great! My embarrassing spin wasn't caught on tape ^^
The camera didn't pick it up to well but on the replay you could hear tyre screeching and engine reving in that corner :p

brentech

Oh yeah, forgot to ask after the race - how was everyone's connectivity once we got everyone on? First time hosting that many racers and I have a small hometown ISP (not even another option available)...just curious if anyone experienced any issues?

Toxa said:
Hot Damn look at this move xD

I so sad for you because you really deserve the MVP points.

seattle already owns the fastest lap points, and the most led lap points I think that's enough , right ?

+ it's more easier to perform a clean race when you lead with nobody behind to put the pressure on you.

Seattle is already mathematically impossible to catch up so the what's the point ?

give the MVP points to Stillmatic giving him more chance to grab a position in the ranking

I´m pretty sure Crumb can still win it if he races and wins three times.

In other news, i almost completed the signing of a free agent to be the driver for the remaining races. Only problem is he is a damn junior and can´t post.

What´s on tap for this weekend? An All-Star Race?

That would be nice.

Toxa

seattle6418 said:
I´m pretty sure Crumb can still win it if he races and wins three times.

In other news, i almost completed the signing of a free agent to be the driver for the remaining races. Only problem is he is a damn junior and can´t post.

What´s on tap for this weekend? An All-Star Race?

That would be nice.

IMO it's over anyway congrats for all your wins ;)

Top Bottom