• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

UFRA

Dibbz said:
How would everyone know when the put the power down though?

We just need to discuss it beforehand. Like MM said we could just make it the start/finish line, or we could set it at a certain corner like they did in the video.

Niks

Dibbz said:
How would everyone know when the put the power down though?

IRL the leader decides when to start the race, of course this has to happen before the start / finish line. It could be anywhere in the last quarter of the lap.

Mush

I'm pretty sure they had a pace car sitting in the pits too! :lol

seattle's idea for a All-stars race this weekend/sometime this week sounds good.

brentech

Mush said:
I'm pretty sure they had a pace car sitting in the pits too! :lol
I dunno, when they went by the car that looked like it was in the pits on the map was actually on the main straight with its nose smashed into the wall....not sure what that was about.

Angst

I'm pretty sure they were using mics to coordinate that.

My vote is against a rolling start. IMO it would only lead to a drawn out starting grid and just cementing the win for the guy with the fastest qualification.

Niks

^
Well the person on pole has won all races so far regardless, so thats that.

With this I think we can seriously avoid pitting on lap 1 due to damage, that is what is affecting the middle of the pack moreso than the leaders imo.

ashk

If someone could clear this up for me, I'm not sure what the advantage is in doing a "manual" rolling start as opposed to a in-game option rolling start? The way I see it it only complicates things and makes it harder on the people behind the leader - with the in-game option everyone starts at exactly the same time, but this way people behind have more difficulty in determining when the leader decides to start the race and just lose more time.

UFRA

ashk said:
If someone could clear this up for me, I'm not sure what the advantage is in doing a "manual" rolling start as opposed to a in-game option rolling start? The way I see it it only complicates things and makes it harder on the people behind the leader - with the in-game option everyone starts at exactly the same time, but this way people behind have more difficulty in determining when the leader decides to start the race and just lose more time.

Only certain (few) tracks have the option to do a rolling start. Mainly the oval tracks. This is why a manual rolling start has to be done.

Toxa

Angst said:
My vote is against a rolling start. IMO it would only lead to a drawn out starting grid and just cementing the win for the guy with the fastest qualification.

yeah I agree

UFRA

I think it's worth a try in a 10 lap practice race at least.

If it seems like it makes the race impossible to win for the middle or end of the pack then fine, scratch the idea off the list. But let's at least try it.

Right now, we have the race leader holding in their lead due to lap one pile ups and over-aggressive driving at the start of the races. Even after people were constantly reminded to take it easy on lap 1, there were still plenty of crashes on lap 1 of SSR5.

ashk

UFRA said:
Only certain (few) tracks have the option to do a rolling start. Mainly the oval tracks. This is why a manual rolling start has to be done.

Wow, really? I remember doing a rolling start on all kinds of tracks in A-spec (I think the Super GT league has rolling starts on all tracks), so I assumed that online you could do it on any track you liked. Fix this shit, PD.

Anyway, I see no harm in trying it out in a practice race.

Dibbz

Are we doing this practice this weekend then or do you guys want to do it earlier? Rolling start could be interesting. Don't think I've had a race this season (lol 2 races) where I didn't have damage on the first lap.

Mush

OK, rather than have an "all-star" weekend, I think we should test out some new stuff.

List some stuff you'd like to see happen, i.e: Rolling starts, Pace cars, etc, etc. and we'll test it out this weekend. Anything that hasn't been mentioned previously can be brought up for discussion. If it works out, we'll do a vote and see enough people want it included for the 2nd half of the season. Easy. Of course, we'll try to do some fun stuff as well for those who are keen. I know a few of you are in MM's league and I don't want to take the spotlight away from that, either. ;)

Things to test:

- Rolling starts. (on tracks where it's an option)

- Our custom "parade lap" idea.

- And I know it was pretty much shot down earlier, but I still think we should test the pace car and yellow flag idea.

Dibbz

I admit that rolling start toxa just posted seems like it would be the best solution. Only real problem is maybe tracks that have long start finish straights eg Fuji where people will get slipstream and could try to dash through on the inside of turn one.

If anyone is up for some practice tonight I might jump on. Been a while since I've been on GT5.

Mush, are we having a race this weekend? Or is it just an "all-star" weekend? I think since we haven't had any practice,
and because te Killzone 3 beta just came out ;)
. we should forgo having any serious races this weekend.

UFRA

weekend_warrior said:
Mush, are we having a race this weekend? Or is it just an "all-star" weekend? I think since we haven't had any practice,
and because te Killzone 3 beta just came out ;)
. we should forgo having any serious races this weekend.

Don't forget about MM's league though! :p

Mush

I think it's for the best if we forgo any racing this weekend. Too much stuff on, and like I said before, I want to give the spotlight to Metalmurphy who's been doing a fantastic job with the NeoGAF Racing League. If people are still keen for something afterwards, that's a different story. ;)

h3ro

A delay sounds good to me. I'm on call today again and last thing I want is to sit in the pits for 10 mins again. What a mess that race was for me.

The next race will still be Route 246 though, right?

UFRA

Well, we had a good day today testing the various ideas for improving lap 1 of races. Firstly, thanks for those of you who showed up and all the great ideas we had. We tried all sorts of ideas and everyone gave good feedback.

Here's our results (pros + and cons - will be listed with each test variable)...

Rolling start testing at Tokyo R246

First of all, there were some points which remained consistent throughout all of our tests:
-ONE parade lap before starting
-During the parade lap, NO OVERTAKING
-NO RECKLESS driving
-Use 2nd gear to limit your top speed (~70MPH)
-Keep a reasonable space between cars (don't be rubbing bumpers with people)

These were the different variables we tried:

1.Once you get to the FINAL corner of the track, you may start the race and go flat out.
+Kept people spaced out once the race began
-At race speed, it was still a little tense going into the first corner since we're still close together (due to catching up by slipstreaming on the straightaway)
-It was a little vague as far as where you can start to floor it

2. Once you pass the start/finish line after the parade lap and you hear the timer "beep" you start the race.
+Again, this kept spacing between cars safe
+Cars were going into the first corner slower than normal, providing for a safer start
+Absolutely no question about where to put your foot down (you hear the beep, you go)

3. After the parade lap, everyone enters the pits in order to regulate space between cars. Once exiting the pits, you begin racing.
+Very safe distance between cars
+Very safe first lap
-TOO safe of a distance between cars; allows the leader to "get away"
-Puts new tires on in the pits, therefore negating the tire warm up gained from the parade lap

4. Once the leader reaches the final 1/4th of the track, he may begin the race at any point between there and the start/finish line.
+Gets the cars more spread out once the first race lap gets going
+Allows tires to warm up a bit faster due to starting earlier
-If you're not the leader, you're a tense son of a bitch wondering "when will he go?"
-Not a definite enough start, meaning people can be confused

5. Pace car. The pace car leads, and increases its speed as it gets near the end of the parade lap. When the pace car enters the pits, the race begins.
+Good spacing between cars
+Realistic start with "cool factor" (lol)
-A little confusing for those who aren't right behind the pace car
-Sacrifices 1 position of the grid from a potential racer

So there you have it. The majority of us agreed that method number 2 was the best. It overall provided a good mix of safety and simplicity, and the least confusion. I highly recommend we have some kind of practice race event this week to test with more people. I am confident this method can help the league.

Some fun pics from the pace car method:

The start of the parade lap. Get those tires warmed up guys!
Tokyo%20R246.jpg

Go, go, goooooooooo!!!!!
Tokyo%20R246.jpg

Toxa

my vote goes with number 2 and 5 but I still prefer grid start :p

good practice tonight, great battle with Dibbz and 2 wins :)

here my first win with the parade lap start/finish, I started the race in first place and I kept it until the finish line

793590TokyoR2463.jpg

the last race I was tired of seeing Dibbz catch me like a rocket every straight line so I decided to rectify the situation with the castol supra :)

715832TokyoR2464.jpg

I overtake Nab

574401TokyoR2465.jpg

and all my unsuccessful attempt to overtake Dibbz

(lap2)
423789TokyoR2466.jpg

(lap3)
655701TokyoR2469.jpg

Dibbz goes into the wall

836240TokyoR24610.jpg

I was about to overtake him when suddenly he put his car right on my driving line

700655TokyoR24611.jpg

I cannot avoid his car

I was lucky my car was undamaged and WTF I was unhappy to see Dibbz overtake me right after the incident, not fair ... :(

606180TokyoR24612.jpg

no you can't play that game

124441TokyoR24613.jpg

I managed to overtake dibbz again but i was in the outside line in the last corner

676773TokyoR24614.jpg

I managed to get the third place with the splitsteam and a great move

683679TokyoR24615.jpg

552554TokyoR24616.jpg

166814TokyoR24617.jpg

:p

my fav race with the pace car, I take the third place after niks goes into the wall in the first corner and memory cure was involved :(

565913TokyoR24619.jpg

I managed to catch nab and Dibbz in the last lap :

848892TokyoR24620.jpg

the battle is getting tense

699887TokyoR24621.jpg

493838TokyoR24622.jpg

too tense

688437TokyoR24623.jpg

and

795673TokyoR24625.jpg

I don't know how but

270623TokyoR24627.jpg

I managed to avoid Dibbz

111427TokyoR24632.jpg

446788TokyoR24631.jpg

damn it was close

320432TokyoR24633.jpg

to close IMO, actually Dibbz did the right thing turning left allowing me to overtake both cars

208602TokyoR24628.jpg

great move

862473TokyoR24629.jpg

but in the finishing straight Dibbz tried to overtake me with the splitstream but I managed to block his car :)

324116TokyoR24630.jpg

thrilling :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, you guys did Tokyo today. Blast. :/ I needed to practice. :/

That was a really hard story to follow but, man this game looks gorgeous with all that extra AA. Nice picks Tox.

I really hope Gutterboy is able to do the race this weekend, I just do not feel competitive on this track. Way too many walls to crash into.

Mush

TheSeks said:
Oh, you guys did Tokyo today. Blast. :/ I needed to practice. :/
Not the actual race, lol.

Bravo on today's practice, gents. Anything else that was tested apart from the various starting formats? If people are available I would like to do another one sometime tomorrow or whenever suits.

Niks

I participated in today's practice and option number 2 seems to have worked great.
Wish we could have done it sooner really.

We also tried to do a normal standstill race start.
And while it is certainly more exciting, the probability of crashing and ruining somebody's race is just too high. And its not just the first corner, all the first lap was really tight, almost zero room for errors, and it was just 7 of us.
While having the rolling start and parade lap implemented wont completely avoid crashes (people can still go banzai due to drag) it is still minimized, and if you keep a cool head you can keep your car in one piece through lap 1 no problem.

The other plus that I see for option 2, is that in the event of a crash, the number of cars involved would be far less. Less chance of the dreaded pinball effect taking out multiple cars.
+ everybody warming their tires during the parade lap looks awesome.
:)

Dibbz

Nice pics guys.

208602TokyoR24628.jpg

Toxa you got ahead hear because I got clipped from the back by someone and basically drifted around the previous corner.

Was fun racing because everyone was just full on, luckily we didn't have damage on :D

Top Bottom