• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Mush said:
I'm glad someone has had the balls to finally put me in my place and speak up. TBH, I have always thought I had done a far from ideal job in running this League so far; this post confirms it.

Yes, I've had a heap of praise dished out from a lot of you, and I thank you for your support, but I know deep down I haven't been doing that well. You guys have spoken up and made your voices heard, and I have decided that we will be making no changes to the League format for the remainder of this season. All rules and settings will remain as they are. However, I will review this decision if Fridays patch contents demand it.

With that said, I am starting to put plans together for a possible Season 2 (if the interest is there of course). One possible idea I have is to separate a portion of the field into 2 classes, with the one class using the GT300 Super GT cars, ideal for those who aren't as quick as everyone else.Let us work together and make Season 2 the best for everyone.

Mush away!

I like the idea of having the GT300 class.

It could work by having the early race being the GT300 class, and the main race being the GT500 one.

It would work like this:

2krunners team:

GT300 driver - Chimilosky
GT500 driver - Seattle6418

I say this because i wish we weren´t restricted to half of the season. Sometimes we have 11-12 car grids and there´s a lot of people on the outside willing to run all races.

The other suggestions... i think it´s a bit crazy, since this is a SuperGT league. Only thing i see is opening up for old JGTC cars, so that would broaden the choices (specially for the GT300 class).

Angst

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Is there a grid practice today? I'd like to do all I can since MM can't post/update me.
I'll ask if he plans to attend the race on Saturday or if he wants you to do it.

I will be in the GAFSuperGT lounge tonight from 1900 GMT circa. I'm not racing on Saturday, but the sessions are so good I can't stay away :) BTW the idea of a dedicated lounge for the practice sessions and races were a splendid idea! Kudos to Metalmurphy!

Angst said:
I have inside communication channels with MM still open ;) I'll ask him if he plans to attend the race on Saturday or if he wants you to do it.

I will be in the GAFSuperGT lounge tonight from 1900 GMT circa. I'm not racing on Saturday, but the sessions are so good I can't stay away :) BTW the idea of a dedicated lounge for the practice sessions and races were a splendid idea! Kudos to Metalmurphy!
Thanks. I'll be there for sure.

First off, I would like to apologize for the rage dump on Saturday, more specifically, apologize to Ace/Kono. Incidents like me losing my cool should not deter people from partaking in a league like this, no matter what your skill level is. We all were slow and a back markers at some point in our lives and racing against people that are better than you is an important part of learning. Given the gap before my crash with Ace/Kono I should have been more conservative and not tried to get such an aggressive exit out of the hairpin for the pass. I think what really put me over the edge was A) Wasn't in the best mood Saturday B) After that crash I went to pit and the AI smashed me into the wall and drove through the pits without repairing my car!! C) It was the first race so far in the league where I was actually racing, in first place, and felt confident.

I think we could all use an extra dose of conservatism when it comes to overtaking, especially on the first lap. Moreover, not every corner is an overtaking opportunity, no matter your speed advantage. I think knowing how to be overtaken is just as important to knowing how to overtake. The peripheral vision in GT5 is very limited and the look around system is clunky at best. Zooming to at least level 4 on your track map is essential. Learn to take quick glances at it and know when drivers are up next to you. Remember, just because someone is up next to you about to pass doesn't mean all is lost. First off, adjusting your corner entry and exit can setup a double pass where you retake them quickly on corner exit because they took a less optimal line into the corner. Above all else, if you are confident you are faster than them, apply pressure and retake them later. Baring last lap battles, there is seldom a situation where you need to go ultra-aggressive on overtaking and defending, especially in GT5 that has such a fickle damage model. I am glad the season will go on without changes because I think as a league the biggest factor is our racing etiquette, not the rules and regulations.

Really excited to have had a 2nd place finish and a fast lap or pole, whatever it was. Sorry for the explosion on Saturday and thanks again for the awesome league. It has been a blast so far and I look forward to my final race at The Ring!

ashk

seattle6418 said:
Sometimes we have 11-12 car grids and there´s a lot of people on the outside willing to run all races.

I was thinking about some solution (mainly points distribution) which would enable people to do more than 4 races, but I couldn't think of anything sensible that would still be fair to people that can't make it to every race. I would love it of we could have a full grid every race, but I can't see it happening atm.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Angst: Set up is pretty good. Thanks for that.

1:50 previous is now 1:47 or there about, so it's somewhat an improvement. Going off track is more my fault going fast/hammer down now than it being the steering lock.

Need to put some serious seat time in on Friday.

Niks

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
New rule added to the league.

- TORTOISE RULE
When overtaking or lapping a damaged/slower car use extreme caution.
Try to do it in a safe place for them (preferably the main straight) It doesn't matter if you loose many seconds behind them.

If you do crash, try not to RAGE, since its clearly the faster cars fault for not driving carefully enough.

Remember!
its not about who is fastest, but who crashes less!!

Wait are we doing Fuji F or GT. When at the practice it was set to GT but the league page says F. I hope we weren't doing the wrong layout the other day.

Angst

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Wait are we doing Fuji F or GT. When at the practice it was set to GT but the league page says F. I hope we weren't doing the wrong layout the other day.
Fuji F as that's what the league page says.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Guys, I think I have a bit of an excuse to make:

I'm afraid Brentech will have to finish the season on his own/ find a new team mate. My spare time has dropped dramatically over the past two weeks, plus I'm stuck on FW 3.55*, and apparently cannot go PSN anymore until I get a second ps3 (not seeing this happen until I regain my spare time).

The league has been great fun - both on the virtual tarmac and here, on gaf. It's been a pleasure to race some amazing drivers or people who are just fun to race against. I don't remember having had that much fun online in a long time. Hardcore (as much as GT allows) rules has been part of the fun (even without a wheel), and trying to keep proper real-world-like etiquette on the tarmac has been part of the game for me. So thank you, Mush, and all of gaf JGTC-ers for the great time!

I'll most definitely keep dropping by to say hi and at least check the replay/photomode 'reports' from the races, as those are big fun to me. And one day I hope to return with a brand new ps3 and a proper GT25 setup (poor wheel has been sitting in its box for months now).

See ya, league!

* planning to install CFW when the time allows. Have had plans for some Cell coding for years now.

Angst said:
Fuji F as that's what the league page says.

Yes, yesterday me and Chimilosky were doing some runs to test things and get ready for saturday, and we were using the F version (the one with the chicane).

Best lap there was 1´33´570, so i believe if times are much different than this is because people are running the unchicaned version (should be a 30 flat or a low 29 i guess).

Gearing is crucial, as is the exit of the left hairpin that leads to T2. Chim was pissed as he wasn´t getting a good line there.

(btw, he still can´t post here, i told him to set up a new account).

I still don´t understand how the GAF SuperGT louge works... how can we find it? A bit confused with this. Would love to get into some practice lobbies, but i´m afraid you guys are online way too early for me (during week).

Toxa

ashk said:
I was thinking about some solution (mainly points distribution) which would enable people to do more than 4 races, but I couldn't think of anything sensible that would still be fair to people that can't make it to every race. I would love it of we could have a full grid every race, but I can't see it happening atm.

full grid = No more vissionne stream :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
seattle6418 said:
I still don´t understand how the GAF SuperGT louge works... how can we find it? A bit confused with this. Would love to get into some practice lobbies, but i´m afraid you guys are online way too early for me (during week).

GTLife->Friends List->GAFSuperGT->Below "Gift" is Lounge. That's a private room/lobby->CLICK ME!

????

PROFIT!~

Angst

TheSeks said:
GTLife->Friends List->GAFSuperGT->Below "Gift" is Lounge. That's a private room/lobby->CLICK ME!

????

PROFIT!~
And of course you also have to add the GAFSuperGT account to your friends list :)

seattle6418 said:
Yes, yesterday me and Chimilosky were doing some runs to test things and get ready for saturday, and we were using the F version (the one with the chicane).

Best lap there was 1´33´570, so i believe if times are much different than this is because people are running the unchicaned version (should be a 30 flat or a low 29 i guess).

Gearing is crucial, as is the exit of the left hairpin that leads to T2. Chim was pissed as he wasn´t getting a good line there.

Was this with grip reduction set to real? If so - wow! I could pretty easily do 1.34.5 with grip reduction on low, but with real best I can do is 1.36.

TheSeks said:

????

PROFIT!~

Thanks, i had never used the Lounge feature. I already have GAFSuperGT as a friend, so i will try that tonight.

Angst

In the SuperGT lounge now, chilling
forever
alone. Will do laps at Monza until someone comes along and want to practice Fuji.

seattle6418 said:
I like the idea of having the GT300 class.

It could work by having the early race being the GT300 class, and the main race being the GT500 one.

It would work like this:

2krunners team:

GT300 driver - Chimilosky
GT500 driver - Seattle6418

I say this because i wish we weren´t restricted to half of the season. Sometimes we have 11-12 car grids and there´s a lot of people on the outside willing to run all races.

The other suggestions... i think it´s a bit crazy, since this is a SuperGT league. Only thing i see is opening up for old JGTC cars, so that would broaden the choices (specially for the GT300 class).

Would never work IMO. Theres not nearly enough people to warrant a second class or race. And it's too much work to coordinate 2 races in one day. We've been having problems with just one race.

I really don't see any reason we need to lock ourselves to SuperGT cars. GT5 has 1000+ cars, why do another season with the same grid?

I still think we should open the eligible cars to any racecar within determined specifications, or move up to the Group C cars.

Another season of just SuperGT cars will be boring.

UFRA

For Season 2 I would love it if we allowed 2003 Super GT cars to play with the ones we use now. :)

They handle MUCH better and are more stable through the corners. Whenever I switch to my Woodone Supra in practice, (which has less HP than my GTR) I always am up there battling it out for first. In my GTR I feel slow and sloppy lol.

I think we should also be able to install the chassis rigidity upgrade to our cars next season. These cars need it.

UFRA

Toxa said:
I agree to allow all Super GT cars but no upgrade

Come on, Toxa. That idea should appeal to you since it's more realistic. ;)

I'd say it's pretty common for real race cars to have strut bars for rigidity. :p

1890321773_b40e88fb67_z.jpg

Toxa said:
thank you so much lazlow

810350FujiSpeedwayF4.jpg

the replay show it was a deliberate move and no apologize ...

yeah it was, as far as powering through your car once you we're across my hood. I already explained I was doing finger gymnastics in that chicane. Took the corner wide, looking around for you and nab, changing gear, then navigating the 2nd corner. After doing all that, I ended up back in front view with you across my hood so I just thought to hell with it and powered through. It's only practice after all, not exactly 'serious business'.

Angst

I had a great practice tonight. I did manage to ram Toxa pretty badly once. Wasn't intended, just saw the gap (that wasn't really there) and tried to shoot through. Sorry 'bout that.

Wish I was racing on Saturday, Fuji is such a nice track. Didn't like it before but I've come to appreciate it as a proper race track with a wide track and some pretty technical corners.

brentech

Haven't spent much time moderating any decisions/changes that have been made. Was kind of overwhelmed with the bickering within the thread after the last race.

Still using a parade lap or is that scratched now?

Hopefully I can make Fuji, but it's hard to say. Plan to practice Fuji and GVS for NGRL as well tomorrow.

Toxa

it was fun, thrilling and sometimes frustrating xD

had a lot of great battle with Angst and Nab ;)

MikeDub said:
yeah it was, as far as powering through your car once you we're across my hood. I already explained I was doing finger gymnastics in that chicane. Took the corner wide, looking around for you and nab, changing gear, then navigating the 2nd corner. After doing all that, I ended up back in front view with you across my hood so I just thought to hell with it and powered through. It's only practice after all, not exactly 'serious business'.

that's why you tried to put me into the wall twice during the start ? had to cut the first corner to avoid the crash ...

389496FujiSpeedwayF.jpg

so ok I can deal with with but later when I managed to overtake you suddenly you turn on the right and make me spin ...

it's a game and it's supposed to be fun and it wasn't funny you have ruined my race and still no apologize .

But now it's past and I don't care anymore

I spend a lot of effort to make a clean race and avoid other cars but sometimes I fail and when I fail I always apologize (after the race) and eventually I let the car go.

overall it was great but not perfect

but the purpose of this training is to know what is possible or not for the race
sometimesyou must give up when you try to overtake a car and wait for a better opportunity ;)

Toxa

Angst said:
I had a great practice tonight. I did manage to ram Toxa pretty badly once. Wasn't intended, just saw the gap (that wasn't really there) and tried to shoot through. Sorry 'bout that.

Wish I was racing on Saturday, Fuji is such a nice track. Didn't like it before but I've come to appreciate it as a proper race track with a wide track and some pretty technical corners.

I'm not a big fan but this track offers more opportunity for overtaking than R246.
however even if you are faster the straight line allows your competitors to catch up with the splitstream and you can easily get caught in a endless battle like 24.

some pics from my fav race :

112252FujiSpeedwayF1.jpg

445741FujiSpeedwayF2.jpg

779623FujiSpeedwayF3.jpg

877821FujiSpeedwayF4.jpg

243234FujiSpeedwayF5.jpg

578453FujiSpeedwayF6.jpg

494039FujiSpeedwayF7.jpg

655726FujiSpeedwayF9.jpg

324037FujiSpeedwayF10.jpg

602214FujiSpeedwayF12.jpg

784667FujiSpeedwayF13.jpg

455407FujiSpeedwayF14.jpg

584024FujiSpeedwayF15.jpg

941853FujiSpeedwayF17.jpg

694265FujiSpeedwayF19.jpg

779327FujiSpeedwayF20.jpg

506074FujiSpeedwayF21.jpg

665890FujiSpeedwayF22.jpg

394375FujiSpeedwayF23.jpg

420960FujiSpeedwayF24.jpg

152890FujiSpeedwayF25.jpg

183955FujiSpeedwayF26.jpg

506479FujiSpeedwayF27.jpg

429627FujiSpeedwayF28.jpg

978546FujiSpeedwayF29.jpg

:)

Toxa

weekend_warrior said:
Oh sure, post a picture of the one time I went off track... :p

lol sorry, it's the same race, in the first pic you lead .

I wanted to show why you do not appears in the other pics unlike in/effect

Dibbz

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
More people need to practice. What do you know about going six wide?

You already know what happens next.
Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

What kind of times are you guys getting now? Just wanna see how far I am off the pace.

Toxa

Dibbz said:
Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

What kind of times are you guys getting now? Just wanna see how far I am off the pace.

in GAFsuperGT lounge :

1.34.400 with GTR, Supra
1.35.5 with Lexus

Fas said 1.33.5 in his lounge and I'm still wondering how it's possible ...? faster track ?

during practice for R246 the best laptimes was 1.34 (public lounge) but during the qualify (gafsupergtlounge)1.35, I felt my car slower .

anyway I hate Fuji xD

Dibbz

Ah so you guys haven't found anymore time. I was on low 1:35's which seems decent. 1:33 would be crazy imo. Unless I'm taking some turns really badly. I suppose finding a good line through the last corner will be crucial to a good time since there is such a long straight to the finish.

That last corner is quite tough though since it's uphill and you can hardly see the apex of the corner until you start turning into it.

ashk

I just want to share something that we mentioned as a possible critical spot in last night's practice to try and help reduce the number of crashes, and I hope anyone who hasn't done a practice race reads this:

If you're behind a car going into the chicane (the one that isn't in the GT version of the track), you need to brake earlier because you will overshoot the corner (best case) or ram the person in front of you (worst case).

ashk said:
I just want to share something that we mentioned as a possible critical spot in last night's practice to try and help reduce the number of crashes, and I hope anyone who hasn't done a practice race reads this:

If you're behind a car going into the chicane (the one that isn't in the GT version of the track), you need to brake earlier because you will overshoot the corner (best case) or ram the person in front of you (worst case).
Honestly, we (the Fuji participants) all need to have a 5 lap practice before the actual race. This can happen before or after race day. Warnings don't work.

ashk

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Honestly, we (the Fuji participants) all need to have a 5 lap practice before the actual race. This can happen before or after race day. Warnings don't work.

I agree, but since I don't think it'll happen I had to try a simple warning (which I don't expect everyone will notice :p or the people who notice it already know what I'm talking about).

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
No discussion here ??? :(. There's an update guys !!! I wonder if anyone will get restricted for this race...

Why would anyone get restricted? Me and UFRA just got done doing some races with randoms. I had the HP limit set to 502hp, and now the higher HP cars can come down to our level. Ha! Suckers!

Top Bottom