• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Angst

If we are going to use restrictions I think pp would be better. Otherwise I'd be limiting my gtr while nsx and Lexus still had their better cornering.

Angst said:
If we are going to use restrictions I think pp would be better. Otherwise I'd be limiting my gtr while nsx and Lexus still had their better cornering.

You sure you want to do that? At the exact same hp/weight my NSX has 668pp and the YellowHat GTR has 675. So you might end up restricting yourself even more then necessary.

UFRA

Warrior, did you do any modifications to your Yellowhat GTR?

If not the GTR's are very inconsistent between them all.

My GTR was 666 PP when I set it to 502 HP to meet your restrictions. 9PP less than your GTR :/

Tomorrow I say we do extensive testing.

Lets get a lot of participation, and we can test both methods:

-Restrict HP

or

-Restrict PP

This way we can see what is most fair for all cars.

Nope no mods, just racing softs. For whatever reason the game let me set the HP to 503 for both cars, despite the limit being 502.

People have been saying the PP changes based on miles driven too. The NSX has about 1500 miles on it I think, and the GTR has never been driven offline so I'm not sure if it has any. That might be the reason for the difference.

Angst

I have around 2000 kms in my GTR, don't know the PP yet though.

We should try using the GTRs as a baseline and let the other cars adjust their BHP to match that.

Angst said:
I have around 2000 kms in my GTR, don't know the PP yet though.

We should try using the GTRs as a baseline and let the other cars adjust their BHP to match that.

You can't adjust HP up, only down. So the GTR owners will have to adjust down to our measly 502hp.

weekend_warrior said:
You can't adjust HP up, only down. So the GTR owners will have to adjust down to our measly 502hp.
Epson doesn't even get 500hp LOL (498). In addition, I cannot "uninstall" the 50kg added weight in the car. Will be very interesting to see this once everyone is settled.

ashk

Angst said:

I don't think the Lexus has better cornering than either of those cars :p

edit: I don't think we should rush into putting restrictions for tommorow's race. If we can work something out, fine, but don't put restrictions just to have them and say "lol, balanced." It's not all about power to weight ratio, it's also about cornering and aerodynamics. IMO the cars are fine where they are now, with the exceptions of the Xanavi Nismo Z which is faster than any car and the Lexus which is slower than any car (which I think that the Lexus owners have already accepted and even Toxa doesn't complain about it as often as he used to).

Toxa

ashk said:
I don't think the Lexus has better cornering than either of those cars :p

edit: I don't think we should rush into putting restrictions for tommorow's race. If we can work something out, fine, but don't put restrictions just to have them and say "lol, balanced." It's not all about power to weight ratio, it's also about cornering and aerodynamics. IMO the cars are fine where they are now, with the exceptions of the Xanavi Nismo Z which is faster than any car and the Lexus which is slower than any car (which I think that the Lexus owners have already accepted and even Toxa doesn't complain about it as often as he used to).

we need to run some test ASAP, even with the same pp my GTR is still faster than my lexus.
the gap is reduced but not enough.

however we can add some weight like the real supergt.

huge gap between the xanazi Z and the lexus 690pp vs 668pp so unfair :(

BTW someone must reset the GafsuperGT account

Angst

Toxa said:
we need to run some test ASAP, even with the same pp my GTR is still faster than my lexus.
the gap is reduced but not enough.

however we can add some weight like the real supergt.

huge gap between the xanazi Z and the lexus 690pp vs 668pp so unfair :(

BTW someone must reset the GafsuperGT account
If nobody has fixed the SuperGT account I can do it when I get home - I saved the info from when Mush wanted me to set up the lounge. I'll add a profile pic to it as well.

BTW has you have proven Toxa you can certainly win in the Lexus. I'm not sure that BHP and weight is everything in the game. Me and my friends tried a race with Ford GT test car vs the Corvette ZR1 RM. Both fully modded. The Corvette beats the Ford hands down on paper, but on the track they are very even.

Edit - I certainly agree that the Xanavi is faster than the Lexus. I'm not so sure about if it's faster than the NSX though. When racing against Gutterboy I was consistently the same distance behind him. He might be better than me ofc, but if my car was faster than his I should have gained 1-2 seconds on the long straight on Tokyo, which I didn't.

Mush

Race preview soon. No PP system this weekend (or season) unless you guys really really really want it. :p

Toxa proved last week that you don't need to be in a GT-R to win races. I'm sticking with that terrible theory.

Toxa

Angst said:
If nobody has fixed the SuperGT account I can do it when I get home - I saved the info from when Mush wanted me to set up the lounge. I'll add a profile pic to it as well.

BTW has you have proven Toxa you can certainly win in the Lexus. I'm not sure that BHP and weight is everything in the game. Me and my friends tried a race with Ford GT test car vs the Corvette ZR1 RM. Both fully modded. The Corvette beats the Ford hands down on paper, but on the track they are very even.

Edit - I certainly agree that the Xanavi is faster than the Lexus. I'm not so sure about if it's faster than the NSX though. When racing against Gutterboy I was consistently the same distance behind him. He might be better than me ofc, but if my car was faster than his I should have gained 1-2 seconds on the long straight on Tokyo, which I didn't.

and make to disable the voice chat, i'd like to listen my own BGM:)

I can tell you that the takata dome nsx is a lot faster than the Lexus, gutterboy did the pole 1.35 xx my best lap was 1.37:(

Toxa

Mush said:
Race preview soon. No PP system this weekend (or season) unless you guys really really really want it. :p

Toxa proved last week that you don't need to be in a GT-R to win races. I'm sticking with that terrible theory.

thanks to the wall and the full damages xD

I think we should really include the PP restriction this season this will make the race more fair, more challenging for the first place and ultimately more interesting.

but we must run some test before, so maybe pp restrction for monza

Toxa

Mush said:
OK, I'm still confused on how I'm meant to join the GAFsuperGT lounge while signed into my main account. Help? :(

like everyone else, community , and join the gaf lounge but someone must reset the account , because since the update it's impossible to join the lounge

Angst

Mush you need to sign in once using the GAFSuperGT account. Update the settings for My Lounge (please change it so default track is Fuji F when you're in there). Save settings.

Start the game with your normal account. To practice in the SuperGT lounge, go to Community - GAFSuperGT - Lounge - Join. All good? :D

Mush

Toxa said:
like everyone else, community , and join the gaf lounge but someone must reset the account , because since the update it's impossible to join the lounge
Just reset it now. New pit camera is pretty sweet. :)

Angst

Mush did you post the race preview for round 6?

Heads-up:Apparently Racing Hards lasts longer than Racing Softs now. Should make a real difference regarding pit stop strategies tomorrow.

ashk

Angst said:

No offense meant to Toxa, but the reason he won was because he didn't get damaged during the race and others did - without heavy damage the Lexus doesn't stand much chance. I don't really like talking about power differences because I always think that it looks like I'm whining :p

BUT ANYWAY I'm down with not changing anything during this season. If someone wants to do comprehensive testing in the meantime and present the results would be ok. But I was checking out (spying on) the Super GT league on the gtplanet.com forums and they consider the cars to be equal enough without any modification (well, except the Lexus for which they allow stage 2 turbos :p).

Mush

mt8yn.jpg

Course Map

sobRV.png

Race Info

-22 laps/62.37mi/100.38km

Race Footage

GT5 Race/Replay
On board footage of weekend_warrior

Preview write-up by Mush

As the season winds down to a close, the drivers now head away from the chaos of the street circuits and back to the more familiar grounds of closed circuit racing, namely, Fuji Speedway. Located 100km from Japan's capital Tokyo (and the previous round), Fuji Speedway is set against the picturesque Mount Fuji, standing at nearly 4000m tall. Don't let the size and beauty of Japan's highest peak intimidate you however, as the real action will of course will take place on the track. Sectors 1 and 2 feature plenty of mid speed turns before hitting the back straight into what could be the most technical section of the calendar. From the back straight drivers enter at well over 180kph into a very tight angled turn with a slight curve to left on the exit. Drivers then accelerate away again before another tight right hander that punishes those who take the wrong line or don't hit the apex. The next 2 corners are more of the same. Ideally, drivers want to take a wide line for both of these turns and cut in on the apex so they can get the best possible exit out of them, especially for the last corner. This corner is uphill, making it difficult to hit the inside curbs and get the most speed out of the turn before the monstrously long front straight. The pitlane is also a tad more trickier compared to other race tracks as well, with a chicane that drivers will have to navigate through before the pitlane speed-limiter is applied, so drivers are advised to make sure they get their speeds right before entering.

Mush

ashk said:
But I was checking out (spying on) the Super GT league on the gtplanet.com forums and they consider the cars to be equal enough without any modification (well, except the Lexus for which they allow stage 2 turbos :p).
I look at that thread from time to time as well. I even PM'd the main organiser of the Championship like a month ago thinking we could have a heart to heart and discuss what was working for both of us and stuff, but he didn't get back to me. :/

Toxa

Mush said:
I look at that thread from time to time as well. I even PM'd the main organiser of the Championship like a month ago thinking we could have a heart to heart and discuss what was working for both of us and stuff, but he didn't get back to me. :/

try again ;)

I bought the WoodOne Tom's Supra, really awesome!

Couple of things i missed on the last page:

Yes, the Lexus is a bit slower than the other two, but is has perfect tire wear. The GTR´s have horrible front tire wear, after five laps they are significantly slower.

So if you set up the cars to be equal on qualify, the Lexus will be faster on the race because of the tire wear. So before we make changes, we have to run some tests to see this.

About Fuji, yes, the 33´5 was on the chicaned version, with grip reduction on real. Fuji is one of those tracks were you can gain time on places on don´t even imagine. It should be a fun race.

Looks like the patch gave us some things to work with... season two will be very interesting.

Angst

Mush said:
Preview write-up by Mush

As the season winds down to a close, the drivers now head away from the chaos of the street circuits and back to the more familiar grounds of closed circuit racing, namely, Fuji Speedway. Located 100km from Japan's capital Tokyo (and the previous round), Fuji Speedway is set against the picturesque Mount Fuji, standing at nearly 4000m tall. Don't let the size and beauty of Japan's highest peak intimidate you however, as the real action will of course will take place on the track. Sectors 1 and 2 feature plenty of mid speed turns before hitting the back straight into what could be the most technical section of the calendar. From the back straight drivers enter at well over 180kph into a very tight angled turn with a slight curve to left on the exit. Drivers then accelerate away again before another tight right hander that punishes those who take the wrong line or don't hit the apex. The next 2 corners are more of the same. Ideally, drivers want to take a wide line for both of these turns and cut in on the apex so they can get the best possible exit out of them, especially for the last corner. This corner is uphill, making it difficult to hit the inside curbs and get the most speed out of the turn before the monstrously long front straight. The pitlane is also a tad more trickier compared to other race tracks as well, with a chicane that drivers will have to navigate through before the pitlane speed-limiter is applied, so drivers are advised to make sure they get their speeds right before entering.
Great preview Mush!

And the bolded part is really important or we will have some pretty pissed off drivers after the race.

Toxa

seattle6418 said:
Couple of things i missed on the last page:

Yes, the Lexus is a bit slower than the other two, but is has perfect tire wear. The GTR´s have horrible front tire wear, after five laps they are significantly slower.

a bit slower ? are you kidding ? the gap between the GTR and the lexus is at least 1 second per lap that's a lot in the racing world.

1.33 vs 1.35 do the math .... :(

I tried the xanvi GTR on fuji the car is more maneuverable than the lexus close to perfection :(

Toxa

Angst said:
Heads-up:Apparently Racing Hards lasts longer than Racing Softs now. Should make a real difference regarding pit stop strategies tomorrow.

it's a fake :(

my best lap today 1.34.196 with the Xanavi GTR 03

Angst

Toxa said:
it's a fake :(

my best lap today 1.34.196 with the Xanavi GTR 03
It is? MM said he tested it by doing donuts and the softs deteriorated faster than the hards. I haven't tested it myself though.

Toxa

Angst said:
It is? MM said he tested it by doing donuts and the softs deteriorated faster than the hards. I haven't tested it myself though.

I tried

7lap with soft
7lpa with hard

it was the same deterioration ! :(

anyway hard tyres are 3 second slower than soft you can't win even with no pit stop

practice tonight ?

UFRA

Guys since MM is banned I'm helping him with organizing his league.

So I can't be both places at once, I hope you guys have some kind of good practice/test session today to really figure out this new patch. :)

UFRA

A mouse whispered this to me:

The tyres do have a difference. I just tested this for like an hour. The average wear time for softs is 1m:06s and for hards is 1m:16s. Sure it’s just 10 seconds, but it’s 10 seconds of constantly being in the red. In a normal race that should be a few more laps. Post this in reply to Toxa on the SuperGT to avoid confusion. If he’s (Toxa) getting the same laps, at the exact same deteoration (which I doubt it, it’s not like that graph has 100 steps, it has like 20. It’s because him driving with hards is making him drift more, hence wearing them more then he would with softs.

Toxa

UFRA said:
A mouse whispered this to me:

I was running around 1.36/35 with soft tires and always 1.39 with hard tires and it was exactly the same .

harde tyre are too slow and useless

Angst

I'll be in the practice lounge in 10 minutes or so.

Edit - Toxa, you should share your B-spec drivers so we can earn you some xp+cash :p

ashk

Toxa said:
I was running around 1.36/35 with soft tires and always 1.39 with hard tires and it was exactly the same .

harde tyre are too slow and useless

I was testing this today at the same time as toxa and I second his results.

Hard tyres are too slow and useless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mush said:
Lets get some practice going dudes. Only 2 in the lounge atm.

I'll be there within the hour. Gotta do something real quick and I'm letting the PS3 cool down after doing B-spec for like three hours today.

Edit: Can't join. "Refused to join due to network incompatibility with host."

Angst

Sorry for not joining the Super GT lounge today. Been practicing for the NRL race. I'll join you tomorrow instead, don't want to forget how to drive the Xanavi :)

Niks

Im not racing tomorrow.
Was there just to see how the car handled, as I suspected, horrible.
Im glad UFRA is running this round.

Mush

Some things to note before tomorrow.

-Who is prepared to host? Preferably UFRA since you're racing this round :3

-Same goes for vissione and streaming, as long as your not too busy playing that fancy new fighting game I keep hearing about. :p

-As mentioned in the race preview, the pit lane has a chicane before the entry and BEFORE THE LIMITER IS APPLIED. So don't go in there hauling ass and expecting ol' Kaz's magic to slow you down.

-Are we still using the rolling start format? The last round was nothing short of a shambles (poor poor Seks) but that I was the first time myself and a few others had actually participated in one, so I assume you guys have it down pat. Plus Fuji isn't like 2 meters wide like Tokyo so I guess that helps too.

-Have you added the official NeoGAF Super GT League© Playstation Network™ ID yet? No? Then send a request to GAFsuperGT and someone will take care of you.

-Although we're not on the streets anymore, drivers are highly encouraged to take care around these sections labeled below. These corners both go from 200kph to only around 80 in a matter of seconds. So be careful.
QJxVV.png

And remember,

m54dM.png

UFRA

Excellent points, Mush. Yes - I can host, no issues there. :)

I'll re-post the findings we had from the testing so that these are fresh in everyone's mind:

-During the parade lap, NO OVERTAKING
-Leader use 2nd gear to limit your top speed (~70MPH)
-Keep a reasonable space between cars (don't be rubbing bumpers with people)

Once you pass the start/finish line after the parade lap and you hear the timer "beep" you start the race.

If we use it (obviously it's Mush's call ultimately) everyone please keep in mind: Spacing between cars is the make-or-break feature of the rolling start.

If you are on someone's bumper during the start, it WON'T work. 2-3 car lengths is good. During practices, I noticed a lot of people being too close during the parade lap. I also noticed what I call pouncing* from some people as they approach the start/finish line.

*Pouncing is when you get near the start/finish line you suddenly become an aggressive cat and are RIGHT on the bumper of the person in front of you and as soon as they start the race, you immediately try to overtake them. Again, this ruins the rolling start.

As for the 2nd gear thing - only the leader needs to stay in 2nd gear to maintain the proper speed. If he doesn't, it will mess up the flow and people will be braking/accelerating/crashing. Everyone else can adjust their speed/spacing as needed since the leader sets the pace which they can't exceed.

/Rolling Start™ propaganda...

ashk

UFRA said:
*Pouncing is when you get near the start/finish line you suddenly become an aggressive cat and are RIGHT on the bumper of the person in front of you and as soon as they start the race, you immediately try to overtake them. Again, this ruins the rolling start.

Easy way to get around this - institute a penalty for people who do not maintain a respectable distance and "pounce" (to be given after the race).

Starting the race from the last corner is unfair because of the slipstream, the start/finish line should be used.

Angst

ashk said:
Easy way to get around this - institute a penalty for people who do not maintain a respectable distance and "pounce" (to be given after the race).

Starting the race from the last corner is unfair because of the slipstream, the start/finish line should be used.
Agreed. It was my idea to start at the last corner at Tokyo, but I didn't think about slipstream. So start/finish line should work a lot better.

Top Bottom