• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

njean777

Nah, it'll get smashed and people will hang on to the microtranscations while they keep praising Forza and while still (across the board) totally missing the point of the user base who actually buys those racing games. I'm still kinda salty that every reviewing outlet not racing gaming focused keep ignoring racing game and just doing a basic bulletpoint style review and just not actually caring about what's in there. It'll most likely be in the 75-85 range [/rant]

EDIT: Not to mention most of them are like rushed to review those games too, you can't really appreciate these kinds of racing game without putting at least a dozen hours at the very least... anyways this isn't the kind of thread for this.

I trust Garnett Lee for racing games, I am getting GT6 regardless as I have not played one since 2 and I really dislike Rivals so far.

Mush

Hi.

boOJCUCl.jpg

Ted

Liking it so far, I'm not pro enough to judge the new physics model but it feels pretty good to me. I've only done the novice events, national B license, amateur karts, amateur FR and amateur FF so far but yeah, enjoying it, looking forward to racing online tomorrow after doing the nat. A license tests...

Positives (so far):

- Physics, and hence cars, seem more alive.
- The speed/sense of navigation is vastly improved.
- Some mandatory assist settings in licenses.
- Frame rate seems smooth at 720p settings.
- A few surprises in the car list for me (as someone who has been avoiding getting too spoilered).
- Friends trace line type thing on the license tests.
- Premium car models are gorgeous.
- Event variation, even at this early stage, seems better than GT5.
- Blind spot indicators.
- Karts are still in.

Negatives (so far):

- Jaggy straight edges, particularly noticeable for example on the white lines in the amateur kart race at the GT Arena, eek.
- Have to play a lot of SP to even unlock MP (around an hour or two I reckon - 2 of three events in the novice class plus the nat. B license, 7 races (across any events ) in the amateur class plus the nat. A license).
- Common opponents list on the info screen before entering a race doesn't list PP/HP/weight/tyres for these potential opponents which can make judging the right car to use for a challenge a little harder.
- dealership possibly a little overwhelming, particularly when you can't immediately tell standard from premium and there is no way of knowing at a manufacturer screen level of knowing whether there are any premium cars of that make. The upside of this is that it makes the near-duplicate car issue very very obvious.
- Car list available in arcade mode is way too small and doesn't have many obvious car match ups for split screen.
- Same old sounds/damage model.
- No taco stand at the 'ring.

I have absolutely no doubt I'll sink many many happy hours into it but the PS3 is starting to show it's age a little now.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Liking it so far, I'm not pro enough to judge the new physics model but it feels pretty good to me. I've only done the novice events, national B license, amateur karts, amateur FR and amateur FF so far but yeah, enjoying it, looking forward to racing online tomorrow after doing the nat. A license tests...

Positives (so far):

- Physics, and hence cars, seem more alive.
- The speed/sense of navigation is vastly improved.
- Frame rate seems smooth at 720p settings.
- A few surprises in the car list for me (as someone who has been avoiding getting too spoilered).
- Friends trace line type thing on the license tests.
- Premium car models are gorgeous.
- Event variation, even at this early stage, seems better than GT5.
- Blind spot indicators.
- Karts are still in.

Negatives (so far):

- Jaggy straight edges, particularly noticeable for example on the white lines in the amateur kart race at the GT Arena, eek.
- Have to play a lot of SP to even unlock MP (around an hour or two I reckon - 2 of three events in the novice class plus the nat. B license, 7 races (across any events ) in the amateur class plus the nat. A license).
- Common opponents list on the info screen before entering a race doesn't list PP/HP/weight/tyres for these potential opponents which can make judging the right car to use for a challenge a little harder.
- dealership possibly a little overwhelming, particularly when you can't immediately tell standard from premium and there is no way of knowing at a manufacturer screen level of knowing whether there are any premium cars of that make. The upside of this is that it makes the near-duplicate car issue very very obvious.
- Car list available in arcade mode is way too small and doesn't have many obvious car match ups for split screen.
- Same old sounds/damage model.
- No taco stand at the 'ring.

I have absolutely no doubt I'll sink many many happy hours into it but the PS3 is starting to show it's age a little now.

ooohhhh soooo excite!!!! still waiting for my bros PS3 though arrrghhhh!!!

I knew this would be controversial, but it seems to be there to try to cut down on the amount of people that want to crash into everyone instead of race.

anddo0

PS store crashing. Nice.

I'll stay up until 1:30est.

The add to cart button is missing, so it'll be live soon. I hope I can still get the pre-order bonuses. I see no reason why I shouldn't. Since Sony usually leaves those available for a week.

oxidax

People will tell you the audio patch is confirmed. It is not. They have said they are working on it but they don't know what they are doing (read between the lines, they basically said we have no clue about sound). They haven't been able to figure out how to make a good sound engine in the past 5 years they have been trying and I dont expect them to figure it out anytime soon.

I actually suspect they don't have the hardware resources to do it. I think their graphics budget eats up the power that audio needs. But that is just my theory to explain their mystifying incompetence in this area.

ah man thats disappointing. Ive been desperately waiting for this game. I even just got a fanatec csr set and everything. That audio is a bummer :/

I knew this would be controversial, but it seems to be there to try to cut down on the amount of people that want to crash into everyone instead of race.
Is that really going to help? As opposed to say a better damage model?

Or does the career teach better racing etiquette this time around?

Is that really going to help? As opposed to say a better damage model?

Or does the career teach better racing etiquette this time around?

Well, I think people that complete or get through a large chunk GT's career mode are more of the hardcore fans, so they'll probably be less likely to want to cause trouble while driving.

saladine1

I have the same suspicion of critics complaining that it's the same old, the standard cars, blah blah etc.

What else do you expect them to say?

It is what it is. There's no hiding the fact that the game has remnants from years ago.
People are going to see that and will complain about it. Issues will still be unresolved.

But who cares in the end. Sure, it isn't going to be a perfect game in every way, but we know what the game is and the enjoyment it will bring. GT6 is an amazingly feature packed game. We take it for what it is and soak it all up one last time for this generation...

FrankWza

damn, if it wasnt for that GS exclusive preorder ish id be playing this DL now. i got an SSD for my ps3 just for this game too. wonder if i should just go digi and skip the blu ray altogether. i keep reading conflicting reports on GT5 though. some swear its better off of BR and SSD some say Digi and SSD. Im thinking BR is better since it does full install anyway but i dont know. guess i will see how much that disc starts chugging when i get and install.

Emwitus

This may be the first time I've seen an embargo that ends hours after the game is made available.

I know others have been attempted but I've always seen those broken early because people have the games.
Sony knows most of the reviews will be bullshit anyway so might as well curb the bad press.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What's up guys! One of the lucky ones who got a T500 dirt cheap, in the market now for either a stand or a racing chair, can I hear some recommendations?

This may be the first time I've seen an embargo that ends hours after the game is made available.

I know others have been attempted but I've always seen those broken early because people have the games.
I've been wondering why reviews with scores haven't popped up yet. I'm surprised that we didn't start to get them yesterday.

Top Bottom