• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

I did my part buying it on day1, but you are clearly deluding yourself if you think GT6 has launched with anything resembling big numbers. It'll be horrible come NPD time and we'll see how it performs in Japan where there's no " it's because of the next-gen craze" excuse.
As far as anectodal evidence go, Amazon charts show the game underperforming on every EU region with an Amazon store. By contrast GT4 is the best selling GT by far in the UK (where it was way more popular than GT3, contrary to the NA market) and EU, holds the biggest first paurty Day1 ever on a Playstation platform for PAL territories (about 250k for UK alone) where it also achieved that despite a pleIthora of "spin-off"/side releases; GT5 is the best selling PS3 exclusive title despite also having GTHD and GT5 Prologue. Now we have GT6, counting on a much bigger install base than GT5, which is very much underperforming and even a blind could see how the game is lacking in making big strides in launch hype like high profile releases usually do. Game is lacking buzz, we're talking the biggest Playstation franchise there is, by a wide margin, especially for the PAL market, and it failed to pass 55k units at launch in the UK, whereas GT5 managed 260+k.
Truth is, GT5's collected trophy data paints a pretty obvious picture of what is going on here. GT6 will still sell a few millions but it won't do that at anywhere near MSRP's price, so those sales will be looked upon differently, and rightly so. Still, I have no doubts GT7 on PS4 will see a bigger release, if only because of its status as PS' flagship series and coming out on new, powerful hardware, but PD has really dropped the ball on GT6, this outcome was easily predictable with how they've decided to plan the game as a whole and its release date.

I'm sorry but do you even follow sales-age at all? It's always been like that, WEEK 1 is always 2 days worth of sales since 99% of the games are release on a friday in the UK, no Tuesdays like in the US.
You are pretty much mimicking the doubters on gt5 release. The game won't do gt5 numbers for sure, but it'll still sell pretty well. Over 5m easily.

Also you should take a look at trophy data for other games, even those with 5 hour campaigns, you'd be surprised. Are you another one that believes that 75% didn't play over 2 hours?...

Hanmik

I took some nice photos yesterday.. now.. ehhh ... how can I post them online on the internet..? I only saw the "Export" feature, and it gave me a message like "You need at least 501mb of empty space".. (I have that but thought that is a lot of space for one picture.)

I don't remember the C7 Corvette being so fun in GT5. I've fallen in love with this car.

Has anyone had a chance to drive the NSX concept? If so, does it have a proper cockpit view and is it worth 1 million Cr.? I love the way it looks.

MisterM

Hopefully my copy will arrive today/tomorrow.

How does it play with a Dual Shock 3?

Also, can anyone confirm if the Citroen C1 is in? It's what I drive IRL and I've always found it fun to drive my everyday car in games.

otapnam

Hopefully my copy will arrive today/tomorrow.

How does it play with a Dual Shock 3?

Also, can anyone confirm if the Citroen C1 is in? It's what I drive IRL and I've always found it fun to drive my everyday car in games.

Ds3 is alright so far - I've been too lazy to setup my gt wheel. I think you'll feel a difference in handling from gt5

MisterM

Ds3 is alright so far - I've been too lazy to setup my gt wheel. I think you'll feel a difference in handling from gt5

Thanks, although the last GT I have played is 4. I grabbed a used PS3 off of eBay just for GT6 and the library of PS+ games I've built up from owning a Vita.

I've checked and there is no C1 in the game :( It goes from the 2CV to the C3

_machine

Same here buddy, just two hours of school and then it'll hopefully be waiting for me by my doorstep...and then a hopefully the download will be over in a couple of hours if I'm lucky thanks to my shitty connection.
...or not; no game in my mail today. Oh well, tomorrow it is then :(

Honestly I'm not sure what the fuss is about. While I don't think you should run with everything (the game practically drives itself if you do that), I still drive with low levels of ABS and traction control on. These cars have those features in real life, and for a reason.. those aren't just video game cheats.

I actually have the same opinion. There are cars out there that come with TC and ABS and other driving aids. Some cars let you disable things like TC, but not all of them. Can you imagine a high-end Lamborghini without any driving aids? Drivers would kill themselves at the second corner. It makes no sense to disable everything, because (like Kaz said) it's not more realistic, just because it's harder to drive. However, the problem I have is that I obviously don't know what the right amount of TC, ABS or whatever is? How much is enough? How much is too much? That's why I turn the settings all the way down.

Truth is, GT5's collected trophy data paints a pretty obvious picture of what is going on here.

That is a pretty ignorant statement and a fallacy of logic, begging the question. One can look at the collected trophy data and come to many conclusions. The main one is that the vast majority of GT 5's trophies are not obtainable unless one seeks them. They do not come by natural game play.

Furthermore, using trophy data as evidence is rather subjective. You are implying the intent of everyone who contributed to that data as your argument. You have no idea what the contributing factors of each individual was towards the overall trophy data. Just because the data fits into the narrative of your argument doesn't mean it is correct. If your logic is applied to every game, then why do some of the best games of this generation have such low trophy numbers as well.

There are games out there that literally give you trophies for starting them, and they do not even have 100% trophy rates. Heavy Rain gives you a trophy called Interactive Drama almost immediately after you press a button, yet it only owned by 86% of the people who contribute data.

1st Story Trophy - Walking Dead - 86%, 50% completion.
1st Story Trophy - Portal 2 - 87%, 40% completion.
1st Story Trophy - GTA 5 - 93%, 2nd 63.7%, 33% completion.
1st Story Trophy - Black Flag - 93%, 2nd 83%, 3rd 73%, 25% completion.
1st Story Trophy - Red Dead Redemtion - 82%, 2nd 43%, 19% completion.
1st A Spec Race - GT 5 - 75%, 28% reached ending moving.

Your argument was pretty fair until you shit this nugget of false assumption out. I agree, GT6 launched in a convoluted market at a time of transition and will be overshadowed by more desired titles and consoles during this holiday season, but that really isn't due to the quality of the game but the demand for the genre in general. Perhaps they should have just not released the game for the PS3 when they had been in development of it since GT5 and ate the production losses and moved it to a new platform, delaying any sort of revenue until mid/late 2014.

Lets be honest, aside from the fans of the genre, which as a whole is relatively low compared to others, the only thing that will sell racing games to the masses anymore is the graphics, and without substantial graphical update the game will not garner the commercial success expected based on previous iterations.

Regardless of the sales, the game is fun and I am enjoying it. The sound does suck but that is to be expected of racing games. Plus driving to classical music is much more enjoyable.

amar212

Posted before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDOynGZ4CeY

20,000,000 credits in a few minutes

400.000.000 credits to be more exact (first you net 20M from selling your first VGT, then you buy 20 VGT's for that 20M in the V1.01 version of the game and once you return to 1.00 version you have 20 cars worth 400M in total).

I love this particular "glitch" so much, I find it as an act of divinity justice regarding introduction of microtransactions in the game and current reality of in-game economy.

It is some crazy glitch in original V1.00 code and anyone using it ain't even glitching of exploiting anything IMO - it is simply matter of using the option PD left there for all to use in their behalf.

Does anyone feel like GT5 didn't drag them in, but GT6 has the same old-school GT addiction factory? I'm loving it. It's my new "play whilst listening to podcasts just before bed" game.

I'm still early. Played the Goodwood Festival of Speed last night, and honestly, only managed bronzes so far. I feel I will be able to Gold two of them once I'm in racing mode quite easily, but the one with X-Bow might be a little tricky until I re-learn how to play proper racing games.

Actually, when the camera sweeps around the X-Bow at Goodwood, it looks amazing. I think it's the design of the car more than anything, there's hardly any aliasing and it almost looks next-gen.

Remember that according to Kazunori Yamauchi
he's deaf
, the sounds of GT are too real.

here is his full response:

My perspective is that the sounds in Gran Turismo are just too real. With the recording method we use, we use a dyno and put the load on, and the sound we produce is just too accurate. I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future.

What I find is that one of our themes with Gran Turismo is to create something that is real; that is what our team is focused on, but that can be an issue sometimes as well. If we see something in front of us, we try to reproduce that very accurately, and that tendency is getting stronger.

But, I think we maybe need to make things sexier sometimes, and I think that is something the Gran Turismo team might need to work on. It could also be because our team is growing in number, which could be one of our barriers to that goal.

UGH that doesn't make any sense. Why can't anyone on his team talk some sense into him if he thinks the current sounds are real or not designed. Why doesn't anyone challenge him?

Morzak

I actually have the same opinion. There are cars out there that come with TC and ABS and other driving aids. Some cars let you disable things like TC, but not all of them. Can you imagine a high-end Lamborghini without any driving aids? Drivers would kill themselves at the second corner. It makes no sense to disable everything, because (like Kaz said) it's not more realistic, just because it's harder to drive. However, the problem I have is that I obviously don't know what the right amount of TC, ABS or whatever is? How much is enough? How much is too much? That's why I turn the settings all the way down.

If Kaz want's that, they better start simulating those things on a car by car basics, meaning different ABS implementations with different quality, TC settings in cars (some cars have just on of, some provide you with differing levels of TC to setup) etc. As long as it's just in game ABS and TC it's not more realistic to drive with it.....

If Kaz want's that, they better start simulating those things on a car by car basics, meaning different ABS implementations with different quality, TC settings in cars (some cars have just on of, some provide you with differing levels of TC to setup) etc. As long as it's just in game ABS and TC it's not more realistic to drive with it.....
That's been one of my long time wishlist items. There's basically no correct stock setup for cars. Any car. And that includes tire selection.

I agree that it would be nice to see TCS and ABS as separate driving aids, different from the features that the car itself has.

As for the sounds, he's not completely wrong, but since that interview he's already said that he understands that people are not happy with the sound, and already said they were now working and progressing quite well with a complete rewrite. Hopefully we'll see that happen somewhere in the next year. Those would be two of my most preferred upgrades: the new course creator and better sound.

I honestly don't care so much about TCS and ABS. As long as I can turn them off - most cars offer the option to completely turn those settings off for racing, or are modified when they are used for racing to get rid of those options. This leaves only a small percentage of cars that you can't switch it off for (my own Prius is one of them :p), and only very rare instances does this improve racing.

Morzak

That's been one of my long time wishlist items. That's basically no correct stock setup for cars. Any car. And that includes tire selection.

I really like that about Assetto Corsa (PC), It has it's TC and ABS as driving aids, then the cars themself have their own ABS/TC depending on the car and you can disable that ABS for most cars and set different levels of TC depending on the Car.

here is his full response:

My perspective is that the sounds in Gran Turismo are just too real. With the recording method we use, we use a dyno and put the load on, and the sound we produce is just too accurate. I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future.

What I find is that one of our themes with Gran Turismo is to create something that is real; that is what our team is focused on, but that can be an issue sometimes as well. If we see something in front of us, we try to reproduce that very accurately, and that tendency is getting stronger.

But, I think we maybe need to make things sexier sometimes, and I think that is something the Gran Turismo team might need to work on. It could also be because our team is growing in number, which could be one of our barriers to that goal.

UGH that doesn't make any sense. Why can't anyone on his team talk some sense into him if he thinks the current sounds are real or not designed. Why doesn't anyone challenge him?

WHAT HUH WHY? If the engine sounds recorded are real, as in the cars are run on a dyno, why the hell do engine recordings on youtube sound a million times better?

Is there an option to adjust the cockpit view? Saw some videos where in some cars you can barely see the mirrors because the camera is so close to the windscreen.

Is there an option to adjust the cockpit view? Saw some videos where in some cars you can barely see the mirrors because the camera is so close to the windscreen.

In GT5 there are three settings for how close you are to the windscreen, when you pause while driving and go into the quick options. I presume it's the same for GT6? I haven't looked yet.

400.000.000 credits to be more exact (first you net 20M from selling your first VGT, then you buy 20 VGT's for that 20M in the V1.01 version of the game and once you return to 1.00 version you have 20 cars worth 400M in total).

I love this particular "glitch" so much, I find it as an act of divinity justice regarding introduction of microtransactions in the game and current reality of in-game economy.

It is some crazy glitch in original V1.00 code and anyone using it ain't even glitching of exploiting anything IMO - it is simply matter of using the option PD left there for all to use in their behalf.

Fucking fantastic.

If this kills more than half the grind in the game...fuck, this makes me want to buy the damn game.

Dead Man

I'm kinda torn if I will actually use this or not... I kinda like the slow gain to riches. My copy only just arrived today so I'll have a think!

If I do end up getting the game and the thing still works I would go through the career stuff without it but I would certainly use it after I had most of the sub 1 million Cr cars.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

considering the way PD try and get each car so accurate, it would be nice to have an option for the car to have the same level of assists as real life. If a performance car comes with a 'sport' or 'race' mode, simulate that too.

That's been one of my long time wishlist items. There's basically no correct stock setup for cars. Any car. And that includes tire selection.

That's basically my wish as well. I get that they can't do that with all the old standard cars, but I wish they would've started with a set of fitting default setting with each premium car.

Can you delete the patch from the digital version?

Dead Man

Impressions update:

SNIP

Cons:
-The absolutely biggest con is the complete lack of transmissions/drivetrain in the physics modeling. Maybe it is because the tires and suspension are better it highlights the other flaws more, but it just feels terrible. Cars are so numb in braking and corner entry. Aggressive downshifting does nothing, it is as if the transmission is a one way street. If I am boming around in a Miata, a good chunk of my braking is going to come from the proper down shifts to slow the rear. I can't for the life of me get cars to feel lively in corner entry with TBO or TTO. I can get TTO but you have to do it so exageratly or I have to really flick the car in there. I feel like the physics don't even "turn on" until you put the power down or post apex. So much of driving these lower cars is finessing the coasting of moments between brake and gas and there is just nothing without the transmissions being modeled correctly. All of the coasting feels the same, whether it is a Honda Fit or a nutso Mercedes Vision concept car. I don't think they have to model each transmission exactly how it is for each car, but break it down into some general categories. This is a 4-speed feel, this is a modern 6-speed, paddle shift, race grade transmission, etc. This is almost becoming worse than the sounds for me. It takes away so much of the feel. :(
Sorry to go back a bit here, and to probably be a bit dense as well. Do you mean there is no meaningful engine braking on downshifts?

MisterM

Yiss! It's here! ...now I just need to wait for my PS3 to arrive :(

fX8JQDa.jpg

seb

Banned
I'm kinda torn if I will actually use this or not... I kinda like the slow gain to riches. My copy only just arrived today so I'll have a think!
The way I did it: I bought every premium cars that worth more than 1m. I can still enjoy the game and grind for cars below 1m, and at the same time I get to play with the cool end game cars. Perfect balance for me :)

Ted

I took some nice photos yesterday.. now.. ehhh ... how can I post them online on the internet..? I only saw the "Export" feature, and it gave me a message like "You need at least 501mb of empty space".. (I have that but thought that is a lot of space for one picture.)

The export feature exports them to the PS3 XMB (in the photo section), from there you can put them on a USB stick and use them however you please.

I'm using the stockyard/garage/favourites split to good effect for this. Cars bought for career from career money are in my normal garage, cars bought "illicitly" are in my stockyard to be used for photomode/online etc. once I have completed career mode to my satisfaction (all golds in all licenses). Favourites are reserved for online racers.

Does anyone have a link to the gift car list? Just wondering what events are worth golding

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...s-win-cars-complete-so-far-2013-12-09.291615/

On a different note, the wet races in IA are great.

Nordscleife + 100% surface water + Huayra + sports tyres = INTENSE

Didn't see this posted: http://youtu.be/XRHTFuICKkk

Be forewarned, it's Jay Leno. Then again, it's Jay Leno talking about cars, and I happen to like him when he's in car guy mode.

Jay is a big GT fan. I still remember an old interview where he interviewed Tiger Woods and Tiger said something about playing games and Jay's immediate response was something along the lines of "Do you play Gran Turismo?".

Just to be sure, deleting game data doesn't delete your save file?

Game data is just the install for the game. Your save is in another area.

amar212

Can you delete the patch from the digital version?

No, for the digital version patch is integrated in the game file (20+ GB file you have). You have to delete the whole game and re-download few times in total it to take advantage of the "feature". So, it is a major inconvenience for PSN-only users.

BUT.

If you happen to have additional GT6 Blu-Ray version somewhere near (friend, brother, nice person from the local store to lend you promo for 2 hours) you will have the easiest procedure of them all without need to actually delete/update ANYTHING.

GT6 Blu-Ray version is 1.00 by default and console will recognize it as a separate GT6 game in the XMB. Basically, you will have GT6 1.00 on disc and GT6 V.101 on the HDD. Because the actual save-file is compatible between versions you only need to use your current V1.01 save file on dosc with 1.00 as default. Disconnect the console from the internet (to disable prompts, etc) and start a game from disc. Sell MBVGT for 20M, game will save. Quit, exit and start the game from V1.01 from the HDD. Use 20M to buy 20 MBVGT, game will save. Quit, exit, start the game again from disc. You will have 400M in those 20 MBVGT when you sell them and once you're done just head back to HDD version, update the previews and you're done.

flashmouth

Neo Member
If I do end up getting the game and the thing still works I would go through the career stuff without it but I would certainly use it after I had most of the sub 1 million Cr cars.

Exactly what I'm doing at the moment.
Besides I am having too much fun with my LFA Nürb Edition to consider buying hundreds of other cars right now, but once I am through, this will be a good way to enjoy the game even longer.
Although right now I don't have any concerns regarding the credit system in the game, I already have a few million in the bank and I am only at Int. A with 30k per race.

Morzak

Sorry to go back a bit here, and to probably be a bit dense as well. Do you mean there is no meaningful engine braking on downshifts?

engine breaking is there, it's what happens during the downshift. If you have a manual gearbox and downshift hard you will unsettle the car, if you do it during cornering your asking for a spin-out, nothing of that sort exists in the game. Cars stay absolutely stable during downshifts.

Skunkers

I want to, but I'm afraid of reprisal. A "legit" save should either have a Vision GT token to redeem or the redeemed car itself in your garage. If they have any way of telling a redeemed car from a bought one at all (doubtful, but possible) it will be very easy to identify people who glitched. I'm afraid of being banned from online/seasonals if I do it. On the other hand, I really want an NSX Concept.

engine breaking is there, it's what happens during the downshift. If you have a manual gearbox and downshift hard you will unsettle the car, if you do it during cornering your asking for a spin-out, nothing of that sort exists in the game. Cars stay absolutely stable during downshifts.

Did you try to change gears with H shifter??

I assume it doesn't unsettle the car because game matches perfectly engine rpms.

JamboGT

Did they disable v-sync in one of the updates?

last night I was playing and frame rate seemed noticeable better in 1080p but with some tearing. Was much better than how it felt on the first few days.

Dead Man

I want to, but I'm afraid of reprisal. A "legit" save should either have a Vision GT token to redeem or the redeemed car itself in your garage. If they have any way of telling a redeemed car from a bought one at all (doubtful, but possible) it will be very easy to identify people who glitched. I'm afraid of being banned from online/seasonals if I do it. On the other hand, I really want an NSX Concept.
That would be massively dickish of PD and create a lot of pissed off people, not even PD could be that tone deaf. Hell, I'll be disappointed if they create a prevention for this let alone go after those who did it.
Exactly what I'm doing at the moment.
Besides I am having too much fun with my LFA Nürb Edition to consider buying hundreds of other cars right now, but once I am through, this will be a good way to enjoy the game even longer.
Although right now I don't have any concerns regarding the credit system in the game, I already have a few million in the bank and I am only at Int. A with 30k per race.
:)

Ah, that is less bad. Still bad, but no engine braking would have been ridiculous. Cheers for the clarification.

Top Bottom