• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

hmm are there fewer events in gt6 than there were in gt5? granted, gt5 had a full lineup of special events while gt6 only has 2 with more to be added but at the onset this seems like a disappointment

forever gone are the days of expecting a stable of events like gt4

Do you even have the game? Because you are quite mistaken

Since the sample size of players and play time has grown exponentially since launch date. Early on the general statements about A.I. was less than stellar. For those, who have been playing the game since the 6th on a consistent basis how would you rate the A.I. in these areas vs GT5

Worse, about the Same, Good, or Better

Competitive
Aggressiveness
In the Turn

Overall compentency of the game

In GT5 there are three settings for how close you are to the windscreen, when you pause while driving and go into the quick options. I presume it's the same for GT6? I haven't looked yet.

If its like GT5 (I have not checked yet) you can enable multi-monitor even with a single screen, and then adjust the FOV to your preference.

I think the default cockpit FOV is pretty good.

Ok. Will get the game when the price drops a bit, 59€ for the standard version is too much for me.

Honey Bunny

Just got the flappy paddle mod for DFGT from http://granturgismo.com/index.html

Really painless to install and shipped in 2 weeks from US to EU. Can't vouch for the durability of the sticky-tape yet obviously, but using them certainly feels good, and a more permanent attachment would be very easy to rig up. I got the ones with adjustable length from the wheel, which you really should go for for the few extra dollars. Recommended!

nasanu

Banned
Supposedly,an F1 car's engine braking is the equivalent of a high end sports car under full braking load!

You are thinking of the braking effect of the aerodynamic drag. But spot on with the rest of what you said, apart from sound they need to accurately model the drivetrain next. It is clear that when you park and rev the engine the car does not move at all from the rotational mass on the engine. Once they model it other things like torque steering should fall into place too.

You are thinking of the braking effect of the aerodynamic drag. But spot on with the rest of what you said, apart from sound they need to accurately model the drivetrain next. It is clear that when you park and rev the engine the car does not move at all from the rotational mass on the engine. Once they model it other things like torque steering should fall into place too.

Yeah I think you are right. (edited my OP) I think first heard it back in the 19,000-20,000 RPM F1 days, which would make sense that at that RPM you would get a shit load more engine braking, but at 200mph I am sure the drag, pre DRS would generate more braking.

Yep there is some room for improvement. However, downshifting did still slow down your car a bit more if I remember correctly - there weren't any tedious braking licence tests this time but generally I could get gold easier if I downshifted through all the gears rather than just braked.

Yep there is some room for improvement. However, downshifting did still slow down your car a bit more if I remember correctly - there weren't any tedious braking licence tests this time but generally I could get gold easier if I downshifted through all the gears rather than just braked.
Downshifting too aggressively should cause stability issues.

Yeah it is definitely present, it is just minimal and nearly identical across a huge variety of cars that in real life would result in drastically different results. That is a good tip for anyone having trouble with braking license tests, but they are all so easy in GT6 I doubt that is the case like past GT games. It does make me feel bad ass though when I am passing some of these tests with over a 1.5 second gap to gold. I remember having to eek out a -.001 Gold time in a few GTs.

benzy

Unless PD prevent players from buying the VGT, I do not see how this patch could be fixed. As long as the car is in your garage, you can always go back to 1.00 and do the exploit. They would have to suspend purchase of the car and given the promotional aspect of the car for MB, I doubt this will happen anytime soon. The only solution I can think of is you cannot buy the car in a future update, only test drive it.

At least it gives, would be hackers slightly less ammo to break open the game.

Somebody at PD QA is probably in the hot seat right now. I would hate to be "that guy" at the office.

Also, what is happening with NRL? We need to get this show on the road.

They could just make it so the car can't be resold, or lower its selling price.

paskowitz

They could just make it so the car can't be resold, or lower its selling price.

That is what the patch (1.01) did/does. The thing is you sell the car with v1.00 of the game so that will not do any good. The only part of the exploit that requires 1.01 is the buying of the car (it is not available in 1.00). Thus that step of the process is the only one PD can hope to eliminate.

So basically this exploit is hundreds of dollars worth of microtransaction each time? I imagine PD will not hesitate to use the nuclear option to stop this. The players will suffer regardless.

hamchan

Yeah they can't stop you selling the cars since it's on the disc but they can stop you from buying more of them. Though that would suck, they obviously wanted people to have the ability to rebuy the cars.

The honorable thing to do would be to admit defeat, remove the microtransactions, boost all in game rewards by a factor of five, bring back login bonuses and make online races yield very high payout to encourage people to play online more.

Korezo

In 1.0 they had quick match which I guess was for online, are they going to bring it back? GT5P had the best online and is the GT game I spent the most playing online, just choose the track and a car with required met pp auto match and race. It was so fun with great payouts, I use to spend hours racing online. In GT5-6 I can't get into it with all these lobbies, takes to long.

Cyberia

GT6 finds itself in an awkward middle ground, both of generation and genre. Polyphony has produced a handling and physics model that is unmatched by any other racer, but failed to provide AI competition capable of showcasing it to its fullest. Playing against friends reveals a peerless driving simulation, but you’ll need to work your way through the singleplayer in order to get the most out of the game online. The alternative is microtransactions – a galling thought after all the hours ploughed into the first five games. GT6 feels like an almighty tech demo for a game yet to emerge from its fastidious science, one we’ve been waiting to play since 1997. Perhaps GT7, apparently due next year, will be that game. For now, we’re left with a driving sim that’s as close to real as any game has ever come.

http://www.edge-online.com/review/gran-turismo-6-review/

Flo_Evans

The honorable thing to do would be to admit defeat, remove the microtransactions, boost all in game rewards by a factor of five, bring back login bonuses and make online races yield very high payout to encourage people to play online more.

That seems like wishful thinking. At best I hope they don't ban anyone that exploited it :p

Finally got a chance to play this last night at my friends house with a driving force GT. Physics felt great, graphics look good for PS3 I guess. I am spoiled already by next gen. Also it was very early races but the AI seemed to actually be aware of my car.

Goldrusher

gt6mth4oi2.jpg

Why do people care about the Microtransactions? The game is still the same as before.....play it normally, you earn creds for cars. Leave the Microtransactions to the guys who don't want to play the game and just want to own expensive cars.

The payouts are fine as well, not much different from GT5.The game has always been "reward for work". Just giving you tons of creds would ruin the game for me.

Why do people care about the Microtransactions? The game is still the same as before.....play it normally, you earn creds for cars. Leave the Microtransactions to the guys who don't want to play the game and just want to own expensive cars.

The payouts are fine as well, not much different from GT5.The game has always been "reward for work". Just giving you tons of creds would ruin the game for me.

Less prize cars, no sign in bonus, no b-spec bob to grind out some Cr., and pay outs are pretty mediocre. To say it has changed nothing is a bit naive. Two Cr. generating features are gone in GT6.

Less prize cars, no sign in bonus, no b-spec bob to grind out some Cr., and pay outs are pretty mediocre. To say it has changed nothing is a bit naive. Two Cr. generating features are gone in GT6.
Agree to disagree.

Again, all tiny things that don't really effect the experience for me. As for race payouts, they aren't much different from GT5 IMO.

Just got the flappy paddle mod for DFGT from http://granturgismo.com/index.html

Really painless to install and shipped in 2 weeks from US to EU. Can't vouch for the durability of the sticky-tape yet obviously, but using them certainly feels good, and a more permanent attachment would be very easy to rig up. I got the ones with adjustable length from the wheel, which you really should go for for the few extra dollars. Recommended!

That's interesting. So you attach it using Sticky Tape?... seems kinda iffy.

lol Edge. Why do they claim stuff like this? Describing it as literally the best sim ever. Unmatched physics. Peerless driving simulation. As close to real as any game has ever come. How can anyone say this so definitively, about any of the top sims available at the moment? Utterly ridiculous.

Yet, those descriptions are most frequently used to described GT's handling. It's not like they're alone in describing it like that.

how is whether or not to downshift brake in a video game is even a question? I've always downshifted and breaked at the same time

Huh? Of course you always use the brakes in combination with downshifting. The primary objective of down shifting while braking is to get your car in the optimal gear for corner exit, before the apex or throttle application. You get additional benefit engine braking by getting to the lowest needed gear as quickly as possible without having to over blip or over rev your engine when you select the next lowest gear. The additional slowing effect of engine braking is larger or more critical with some cars. Typlically the older the car and the shittier the brakes, the more important engine braking is. The engine braking effect in GT is negligible and gimped, that is all we are saying.

Yet, those descriptions are most frequently used to described GT's handling. It's not like they're alone in describing it like that.
The last time I saw a general consensus that GT had the best physics was after GT1. Maybe GT2. Since then it has been either totally incorrect to make such a claim or at least up for debate.

It is not unusual to see praise for GT's handling. It is very worthy of it. But to describe it as the best in such a definitive manner is baffling, and I believe it is quite unusual to do so these days. Particularly baffling as I see Edge is not averse to PC games - they listed GTR2 as 68th in their top 100 best games of all time in 2007 - a game that still has a more detailed physics engine than GT6.

That is not to say that GTR2 is the better game, or even to say that it 'feels' better - GTR2 had some pretty suspect behaviour at times and plenty of flaws - GT6 is no doubt an improvement on certain things, perhaps the tyre model, perhaps the aero model... but it lacks a load of features that GTR2 had. On a fundamental level, there are a significant number of games that could be put forward as having equally impressive physics engines as GT6.

Skunkers

That is what the patch (1.01) did/does. The thing is you sell the car with v1.00 of the game so that will not do any good. The only part of the exploit that requires 1.01 is the buying of the car (it is not available in 1.00). Thus that step of the process is the only one PD can hope to eliminate.

As somebody stated earlier, they will likely simply lock your save game to the current version of the game; your save simply won't work with version 1.0 anymore.

flashmouth

Neo Member

What's the maximum payout per race? Seems you know quite well.

I am now at 50k per race and this is from the first series of Int. A, so I guess payouts will be much higher in the final series.

malyce

In 1.0 they had quick match which I guess was for online, are they going to bring it back? GT5P had the best online and is the GT game I spent the most playing online, just choose the track and a car with required met pp auto match and race. It was so fun with great payouts, I use to spend hours racing online. In GT5-6 I can't get into it with all these lobbies, takes to long.

This. GT5P was LOADS of fun because of match making. It's criminal that they didn't implement it in GT5 and still didn't make it in time for GT6. By the time it does make an appearance in GT6 most of the day one players would have already put down the game. Things like these are what pisses me off about PD, it's like core functions gets put on the back burner.

I totally regret not getting the Disc version of the game. The grinding is ridiculous. I just wanna hop online and race with my friends, instead I'm forced to play this bullshit.

What's the maximum payout per race? Seems you know quite well.

I am now at 50k per race and this is from the first series of Int. A, so I guess payouts will be much higher in the final series.

Sounds about on track for GT5. It has been a while, but I remember being able to pull in ~100K for some 4 minute race in the extreme series or something. Someone here probably can answer you better about payouts. From what I gather, the are very similar to GT5, but with a lot less prize cars given out. If you include those as a Cr. value to single player progression, GT6 pales in comparison to GT5 with "Cr." received.

Regardless of microtransactions, the same shit payout in online races is inexcusable. God forbid they encourage online competition.

Cock of War

Been having a blast with this game so far. Microtransactions are a non-issue. Goodwood Festival with the Redbull sci-fi insanity that is the X10 was a challenge but I managed to gold it.

Had some funny brake/suspension "incidents" on Matterhorn:

Matterhorn+Riffelsee

Matterhorn+Riffelsee

Matterhorn+Riffelsee

Matterhorn+Rotenboden

Matterhorn+Rotenboden

What's the deal with damage? The manual makes it seem like it should persist throughout the career mode but I see no evidence of that.

commedieu

Banned

A lot of people don't gold events... I haven't had too much time to play, and when I do i m a little tired. So far I have 110k, passed all novice and on the NA test now... so if u don't gold.. seems hard to win cars. Just for what its worth.

I plan to go back and gold to win cars.. will that work? Can't remember.

Been having a blast with this game so far. Microtransactions are a non-issue. Goodwood Festival with the Redbull sci-fi insanity that is the X10 was a challenge but I managed to gold it.

Had some funny brake/suspension "incidents" on Matterhorn:

Same thing happened to me in my Fiat500 in Rome circuit. It felt like my car was doing a handstand.

For the record I am not saying microtransactions have ruined the game experience for me. I would prefer they not be there, as with any game, no matter what the implementation.

I was just try to state, that outside of your "experience" it is an objective fact that features that earn you more credits or allow you earn credits passively have been removed from GT6 that were present in GT5. Most of all, the amount of prize cars you receive from completing the game with golds in everything is significantly reduced, which equates to a significant loss in over all Cr. value to completion of the game when compared to GT5.

As it has been mentioned a ton of times, you have to go looking to find any sign of micros, which is great. But the notion that you are swimming in Cr. in GT6 compared to GT5 is nonsense.

Edit: Lol at the endo photos. I guess Kaz made the physics too realistic. We must be misunderstanding it somehow.

benzy

Ah, I see. I guess we should be expecting them to fix this somehow this thursday when they give out the new BMW.

I have to say the microtransactions issue in GT6 is a non-factor to me as well.

Mostly it's because I look at the game more as an encyclopedia and into simply just doing hot laps with modest cars and modest mods, which doesn't cost too much credits in the game overall. And I'm not in a rush to blow by all the different racing classes anyways, just mildly grinding and slowly progressing whenever I have time. Most likely I won't be racing online.

My garage so far has a couple of 86/FR-S/BRZ variations, a couple of AE86s, a Mazda Miata NA, a Honda Fit RS, a Nissan GT-R R35, a Lexus LFA 'Ring, as well as the Merc GT Vision and the free cars voucher with came with the game. I have next to zero credits because of the money pits that are my Fit and Miata lol. That said, I'm a happy camper so far.

Top Bottom