• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Just won the GT All Star Championship. Pretty intense, but the GT-R 15th anniversary is a breeze to drive (in contrast to the R8), so very suitable for this. You can win the races by virtue of its superior brakes, basically, which also really helps with overtaking.

Mind you I just got the 20 stars needed to open up the race - still a tonne of other stuff to do.

malyce

Well the $20M money glitch is a pain is the ass for digital version, but the Ascari glitch nets you about $1M in 25 mins. I guess that'll have to work for now.

TTG

What's the Ascari glitch? I don't care enough to install/reinstall stuff, but if there's a way to get a mil in 25 minutes, I'm in.

Are you joking? GTR2 is rubbish by todays standards. The suspension barely moves at all. A simulation has to nail the 4 models: tyre, suspension, powertrain and air. GT6 nails 2 of them (I am convinced the slipstream effect in GT6 is a little too strong, fix that and they nail 3 of 4), GTR2 nails none. At this stage Assetto Corsa can stand against GT6 having an equally impressing tyre and suspension model (well, when they fix their suspension model to stop the street cars rocking like a boat) but nothing else can (and short of project cars I have played everything).
Hehe... the guy who said "GT5's suspension modeling was already in advance of anything short of Assetto Corsa" asks me if I'm joking...

If you're judging the quality of a physics engine by how much the suspension moves, you're doing it wrong. When you say 'it barely moves at all', I'm not sure if you're criticising the amount of suspension travel, or the rate at which it animates - either way there are explanations. There isn't a large amount of travel in GTR2 because they are all GT1/NGT cars - they are very stiffly sprung with very little travel. If you're watching the movement and thinking it there should be more reaction to bumps in replays - this is because the replay fidelity in that engine is much lower than what is actually being calculated in the simulation - this is well documented.

There is nothing wrong with the suspension model in GTR2 - it is based on ISI's engine, the same engine that has been used in many successful sims. Indeed, it is the same engine that is still being used by Reiza, who just launched Game Stock Car 2013, widely considered to be one the most accurate sims on the market. And it is the exact game selected for the Power and Glory mod, another highly-praised sim led by Aris (Assetto Corsa physics guy), who was still working on the project in his spare time earlier this year.

It's clear that the base physics engine alone is worthy of comparison to more modern titles - and when you start to consider the additions like live-track evolution, marbles, that Simbin added themselves... well it's fair to say that GTR2 is not a joke.

Jabba

Banned
Just got my copy. I have an itch since Test Drive Lemans and there was another prototype racer on I think on 360. Don't remember name. My question guys, about how long to drive actual factory or team racing cars? I really have an itch to drive the Saubet C9 later on in the game.

Once I get to race cars I'm ok with grinding. Thanks for any replies and estimations. Wouldn't that also be sweet, revival of TDLM which had dynamic weather/day/night cycles.

I got GT6 as my PC broke and can no longer play PCars.

Well the $20M money glitch is a pain is the ass for digital version, but the Ascari glitch nets you about $1M in 25 mins. I guess that'll have to work for now.

I might try that, I've been attempting the Historic Race Car Cup and it's proving difficult for me. I'll grind out enough to buy a Toyota 7.

EDIT: Well, it doesn't seem to work anymore. I guess i'll bash my way through the Historic Cup with the Corvette Race Prototype.

malyce

I might try that, I've been attempting the Historic Race Car Cup and it's proving difficult for me. I'll grind out enough to buy a Toyota 7.

EDIT: Well, it doesn't seem to work anymore. I guess i'll bash my way through the Historic Cup with the Corvette Race Prototype.

It works, just use the grass to the left of the start/finish line instead of crossing directly over it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just hit 300 mph in my fully upgraded Hyrua with NOS. The stat screen only shows a max speed of 298. Glitch?

JamboGT

Decided to emulate Kaz at the Flugplatz on the Nordschleife!

BbKpKRmCUAAaqBp.jpg:large

BbKovLOCQAIyhF5.jpg:large

I am really having a lot of fun with this game so far.

Will have to get the time of day correct next time!

paskowitz

Just checked on another PS3 w/o an install and apparently I am seeing things, there is no 1.08 patch...

You know what, it is finals week and I am tired.

OmegaDL50

Can you return a car to its original state? (Undo tuning)

Probably not, but thankfully every car in the game has three separate tunes.

A, B, and C. So you could effectively have one tune for best handling, one tune for max speed, and a 3rd tune for stock setting.

I find this preferable instead of having to buy multiples of the same car for different things when you basically have three blank slates to work with per vehicle you buy. This is infinitely preferable over GT5's permanent unchanging upgrades when doing an NA Tune, Weight Reduction, etc.

EDIT: Ah I didn't see the above post when I made my reply, so you can remove upgrades? That's nice to know.

EGOMON

Just got my copy. I have an itch since Test Drive Lemans and there was another prototype racer on I think on 360. Don't remember name. My question guys, about how long to drive actual factory or team racing cars? I really have an itch to drive the Saubet C9 later on in the game.

Once I get to race cars I'm ok with grinding. Thanks for any replies and estimations. Wouldn't that also be sweet, revival of TDLM which had dynamic weather/day/night cycles.

I got GT6 as my PC broke and can no longer play PCars.

In GT5 you have to drive a real-time 24hr in LeMans races of course you can suspend the race and comeback later، am not sure about GT6 but i'll assume its the same.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You are pretty much mimicking the doubters on gt5 release. The game won't do gt5 numbers for sure, but it'll still sell pretty well. Over 5m easily.

Also you should take a look at trophy data for other games, even those with 5 hour campaigns, you'd be surprised. Are you another one that believes that 75% didn't play over 2 hours?...

I'm most definitely not (and in fact I think GT7 will be massive if PD starts improving the areas in which they're lacking, if not then it'll still do great numbers and be much bigger than GT6 imo). GT6 selling 5M worldwide ltd wouldn't be good at all for a main GT game, in fact it'd be awful and it's the ballpark figure I'm thinking too, and are you one of those who think giving out a plain number without context is meaningful? Doing 5M when half of those copies sold at sub $30 is completely different than doing it at $60.

That is a pretty ignorant statement and a fallacy of logic, begging the question. One can look at the collected trophy data and come to many conclusions. The main one is that the vast majority of GT 5's trophies are not obtainable unless one seeks them. They do not come by natural game play.

Furthermore, using trophy data as evidence is rather subjective. You are implying the intent of everyone who contributed to that data as your argument. You have no idea what the contributing factors of each individual was towards the overall trophy data. Just because the data fits into the narrative of your argument doesn't mean it is correct. If your logic is applied to every game, then why do some of the best games of this generation have such low trophy numbers as well.

There are games out there that literally give you trophies for starting them, and they do not even have 100% trophy rates. Heavy Rain gives you a trophy called Interactive Drama almost immediately after you press a button, yet it only owned by 86% of the people who contribute data.

1st Story Trophy - Walking Dead - 86%, 50% completion.
1st Story Trophy - Portal 2 - 87%, 40% completion.
1st Story Trophy - GTA 5 - 93%, 2nd 63.7%, 33% completion.
1st Story Trophy - Black Flag - 93%, 2nd 83%, 3rd 73%, 25% completion.
1st Story Trophy - Red Dead Redemtion - 82%, 2nd 43%, 19% completion.
1st A Spec Race - GT 5 - 75%, 28% reached ending moving.

Your argument was pretty fair until you shit this nugget of false assumption out. I agree, GT6 launched in a convoluted market at a time of transition and will be overshadowed by more desired titles and consoles during this holiday season, but that really isn't due to the quality of the game but the demand for the genre in general. Perhaps they should have just not released the game for the PS3 when they had been in development of it since GT5 and ate the production losses and moved it to a new platform, delaying any sort of revenue until mid/late 2014.

Lets be honest, aside from the fans of the genre, which as a whole is relatively low compared to others, the only thing that will sell racing games to the masses anymore is the graphics, and without substantial graphical update the game will not garner the commercial success expected based on previous iterations.

Regardless of the sales, the game is fun and I am enjoying it. The sound does suck but that is to be expected of racing games. Plus driving to classical music is much more enjoyable.

I've never said that we should apply that logic to every game, you're the one actually doing that and let me tell you that it's stupid, there's a different timeframe for each game from release date to today, different genre, different players' total... different everything. You just can't compare them and I don't even know why you brought that up, what's the point of comparing TWD's and GT5's trophies? Just look at the data for each game and then see if that data can tell you something meaningful... for that game and that game only. It's like saying "oh well iRacing has less than 50k subscribers, what a bomb/oh well Gran Turismo 8 sold 2 million copies, that's great!".
Context.
So, besides the fact that in my post I've never discussed in depth the collected data of the game because I don't know how much of that is public and available to anyone looking for it (we should look into the average total miles travelled, that would give a pretty clear idea), even the data you've posted is enough to at least get an idea of how quickly the vast majority dismissed the game: are you aware that the "ending movie" you're referring about you can actually earn even while at just <30% of the game's completion and that you can also get it with only reaching that far on the the B-spec's campaign (or even without having touched B-spec at all?) Even then it's proposterous to compare data of GT5's trophies to those of 10/15 hours long story driven games, apples and oranges.

Having said that, maybe I should make clear that (as most of GT5GAF knows) I've played the game from day1 up until a few months ago, that a year down the road from launch I was still playing it almost daily (I think I have over 400 hours put into the game between my main 3 profiles) and even if rigged with plenty of problems and shortcomings which I hate (and criticized a lot) it's still my favorite "sim-my" racer ever.

And btw, the sound is expected to suck for racing games? The is news to me, there's plenty of racers with sound so great to give you chills. Unless you only play on consoles, but then you making a general statement would be absurd.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Man, Gran Turismo should be mentioned in the same conversations as Demon's Souls and Battletoads as far as difficulty. I don't remember events in any of the others in the series being as difficult as some of the events in GT5 & GT6. It's fun & rewarding though :)

Whew.....had no idea about the "Mission Races", so went back to the first set and found them pretty easy. The GT-R one I had to retry a couple times for losing control....but the first lap I recorded was 2:19:973......so barely got in under gold. :p That darned AI wouldn't get off my butt the whole time.

God, fuck the missions. First the Lotus Europa one, which of course is goddamned impossible (I remember a previous Gran Turismo also had a hard Lotus Europa mission, also fuck the Lotus Europa). Now this GT-R Silverstone one that makes clear the stupid rules of the missions: if I hit another car, I get disqualified; if ANOTHER CAR HITS ME FROM BEHIND, I ALSO GET DISQUALIFIED.

I can't. I'm going to punch my television if I keep playing.

Emwitus

Man, Gran Turismo should be mentioned in the same conversations as Demon's Souls and Battletoads as far as difficulty. I don't remember events in any of the others in the series being as difficult as some of the events in GT5 & GT6. It's fun & rewarding though :)
Golding rally in gt5 was almost impossible for me. Heck bronzing it was impossible. Note: im a casual player.

God, fuck the missions. First the Lotus Europa one, which of course is goddamned impossible (I remember a previous Gran Turismo also had a hard Lotus Europa mission, also fuck the Lotus Europa). Now this GT-R Silverstone one that makes clear the stupid rules of the missions: if I hit another car, I get disqualified; if ANOTHER CAR HITS ME FROM BEHIND, I ALSO GET DISQUALIFIED.

Are you talking about the one where you have to get 2:20:000?

yeah, I like the mission races, but that same crap kept happening to me - sideswiped in the final turn

Are you talking about the one where you have to get 2:20:000?

Yes. Never mind Gold, I can't even finish a fucking lap without that asshole red car forcing me off the track or hitting me, WHICH DISQUALIFIES ME. NOT HIM. ME. WHAT THE FUCK. I think I've spent an hour alone on this mission and the Europa mission. I'm thinking NEVER DO MISSIONS.

OmegaDL50

Whew.....had no idea about the "Mission Races", so went back to the first set and found them pretty easy. The GT-R one I had to retry a couple times for losing control....but the first lap I recorded was 2:19:973......so barely got in under gold. :p That darned AI wouldn't get off my butt the whole time.

Now if only the AI was this determined / aggressive during actual races I wouldn't have much complaint about them letting me win during the last two laps all the time.

Yes. Never mind Gold, I can't even finish a fucking lap without that asshole red car forcing me off the track or hitting me, WHICH DISQUALIFIES ME. NOT HIM. ME. WHAT THE FUCK. I think I've spent an hour alone on this mission and the Europa mission. I'm thinking NEVER DO MISSIONS.

Don't know what to say. I overtook him pretty early and kept him behind me. All I can say is have TC off as that only hampers you around corners. I guess I'm lucky I got gold pretty quick, but even then there are spots I know I could have shaved off another second or so. :(

I know that isn't much help at all, just gotta keep practice. Play some other stuff with a GT-R and get comfy with how fast you can take corners quick with it.

Yep, tried that again for quite some time today. I missed Gold by .300 this time.

I don't know what version of the game people are claiming to have played where the other GT-R doesn't blatantly hit you on straights, but I'm done with that shit til they fix it. If someone did that on an actual track, they would be charged with attempted manslaughter, to say nothing of being disqualified.

And there we go......finished up the Mission Races for National B and A and got my free cars. Yay.

I found the National A with the Corvette easier that the GT-R and got the gold pretty easy with a second and a half to spare.

So, do the races get longer on average as you move up the classes? I'm on the end of National B but I'd really appreciate if most races went more than 2 laps. Five laps+ and I might feel like I'm in an actual race ;p

So, do the races get longer on average as you move up the classes? I'm on the end of National B but I'd really appreciate if most races went more than 2 laps. Five laps+ and I might feel like I'm in an actual race ;p

Yeah, they gradually get longer (more laps or tracks that take 2-3 minutes per lap), but you won't see many of the longer 5 lap+ races till the higher levels.

deadnoob

Finally golded the first two cone challenges.

Also I'm really liking the goodwood races. It's really fun racing the same short section in a bunch of different cars

Congratulations PD. You have managed, against all odds, to make your AI substantially worse. This is so stupid. I am behind the AI, it brakes dumb early, slow as ball sack out of corners. The second I get ahead of it, it fucking goes nitro tits on the straights and rear ends me in the braking zones because apparently the AI all of a sudden brakes at the 15m marker. Jesus fuck PD is clueless.

nasanu

Banned
If there was a trophy for turning on wipers GT6 and PD would try to sell you the wipers and fluid for $5....that's the issue.

You are being disingenuous. How can you say this about PD, the developers who support their games for free far beyond anything that has ever been seen before? The amount of content they give for free is unheard of. The amount of free DLC they added to GT5P and GT5 was unheard of. They have said they will support GT6 in the same way and we already know there are a large amount of free Vision GT cars coming free.

If they wanted to just rake in the cash they could have held back a hundred cars and 10 tracks, sold them off as paid DLC. Wouldn't that have made much more money than offering to buy credits when the game dishes them out as generously as any previous game?

What the hell? The headlights, even on high beams have been ok, if not a little too dark, all of a sudden on the Willow Springs night masters race it is like I am in squid ink! The gamma dropped through the floor on that track for no reason. I don't get it? Why is the lighting all over the place? Lighting is PD's rock, they will fuck up everything under the sun.. but not the actual sun!

I am so happy they took the time to map real time star charts. I really am. Most endurance racers know that headlights are secondary to star maps. Most apexes are found by relation to the north star. Is that Orion's belt rising in the east? My gosh, I must be upon the chicane! Braking commence! What the fuck? It is like thousands of lumens difference in the exact same car between tracks.

It looks like the honeymoon period of GT6 is rapidly crumbling. There are so many core components broken. How is this the second effort on the last year of a console's life span? GT5P was more polished than this game. We were promised that GT5 was establishing a foundation that not only the next GT could be built off, but the next gen GT! If this is what they can muster on a PS3, I am terrified at how much of a cluster fuck GT7 is going to be. It played so well out of the gate, but the deeper I dive into the game the more baffling it becomes. They hit the reset button on all the wrong features. Night racing was so good in GT5. I never had a single problem. Now it is a mess.

Top Bottom