• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

h00ters

I only managed to play a little bit when it first launched, but for the people complaining about getting killed and losing money, wouldn't turning on passive mode (or whatever it's called) fix that??

To preface this, I might just be crazy. Anyway, I've been playing GTA Online with minimal problems all things considered. I got through the tutorial easily, rarely get disconnected, and almost always connect when I try. Missions aren't an issue, etc. The problem I'd had was the frame rate seemed a bit crap, and the graphics were obviously reduced to the point of being GTA IV ugly.

Now I was playing today, and as I was driving over a mountain, the resolution suddenly enhanced quite clearly, and what was once a somewhat muddied view became brilliant and detailed. I noticed significant increase in framerate and general performance. There was also a ridiculous, noticeable reduction in aliasing to my delight. I hadn't seen it run this smoothly and clearly even in singleplayer to what I recall. I waited for the time of day to change to ensure it had nothing to do with that. I also moved locations several times. Still the same. It looked and ran amazing, looking almost as good as the trailers. I've been playing for half an hour since then, and it hasn't changed back. I was in a car chase and I could have sworn it was running at well over 30 fps (I don't want to sound like a total lunatic and say it felt like 60 fps.... but it did for a moment). Anyone else experience this? Could it have to do with my internet connection (maybe they scale back the graphics in relation to your connection speed, and it suddenly picked up - I know, probably not. Maybe it had to do with my 360?). Or am I just losing it? Either way, I hope this lasts.

So yeah.

How small an area are we talking about? I assumed it would be over the size of a neighborhood at least.

There was one deathmatch that took place in a hedge maze. You can leave the area, but spawns and ammo are all inside the maze, so there's little point in trying to get a vehicle or advantageous terrain if you want to get more kills.

IV had where you could limit deathmatches to individual islands in the city, the entire map or smaller places like the prison/Ellis Island. I don't remember any quite as small as some of the places chosen for deathmatch in V though. It's just not that interesting, especially with the one-hit kill, animation-locking melee.

LtOrange

GTA Online next gen has to happen, the game would be out of beta, and it would look so soso so good. I would buy it. Think about it, 1080p 60fps?! Well I will be getting the PC version but I'm not sure I would want to play that one online. I only had good online experiences with console ports about none of the time on PC. The games seem so empty or buggy online (EA racing games, Driver SF, tried GTA4's online but nothing happened, etc.).

That is all I keep thinking about. All the server issues would be cleaned up and the game would run like a dream on next gen.

Does the 'join random mission' option include that awful Last Team Standing, or only the co-op stuff?

I have had mostly fun co-op missions doing auto join "mission" (not race or deathmatch) doing that mission then cancelling out of the mission choose 6 after FINISHING that mission since they often dont have co op missions

though I did have one good deathmatch, straight gunplay just isnt to the strength of GTA really and I dont like joining them at all any more

shield

Fucks sake, someone kills me in free roam so I check my transaction log out of interest to see just how much its costing me and it was $1340! Who thought this was a good idea?!!!

zap

It seems like I have to pay hospital bills everytime I die in missions as well as team deathmatches (I played the dirty cop gametype with a briefcase to steal and ended up losing ~10-15k in 30min).

Really frustrating.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Similar question:

I'm in a crew, but when we go to the social club website there's only overview/hierarchy and.... Max payne 3 onthe front page. What' up with that? What needs to happen for our crew to actually be about gtao, so we can access that tab/those statistics?

I'm not sure if any of us have made it past the tutorial race yet, could that be the problem?

Quoting myself for the new page!

I only managed to play a little bit when it first launched, but for the people complaining about getting killed and losing money, wouldn't turning on passive mode (or whatever it's called) fix that??

No just bank your money immediately using your phone

passive mode wont help you if you are in a car or someone in car runs over you. if you are in a car people can shoot you.

IMO its fun just doing co-op missions repeatedly from phone quick join "mission"

Just collected a $9000 bounty on some guy. Yep I love this game. Also I am hoping this comes to next gen because I will be all over it. With your character in the cloud it should be easy to port the characters. Really enjoying GTA online. Probably the most fun I have had in an online game since Socom 2.

shield

You've gotta put all of your money the bank unless you're playing on 360... then it doesn't matter if you bank it or not since it's a bug where you lose money either way for now.

I'm on 360 but I guess that makes sense, I was beginning to wonder what the point of the bank was too.

domlolz

Banned
I don't like the death matches at all, theres no 'skill' needed, it's usually just being lucky and spawning behind a few other players, locking on and seeing how many you can kill before you die yourself. Maybe a mode with more health/armour, no lock-on...something

NeoGiff

The character I've been playing with all day now appears to be gone.

However, I'm thinking that it's a temporary thing with the cloud and whatnot. Usually when I switch to GTAO from SP, it says that my progress will be saved automatically. Now, however, it says that "any unsaved progress will be lost." Yesterday the same character vanished, yet he was available again today.

What do you think, GAF, am I justified in my optimism?

However, I'm thinking that it's a temporary thing with the cloud and whatnot. Usually when I switch to GTAO from SP, it says that my progress will be saved automatically. Now, however, it says that "any unsaved progress will be lost." Yesterday the same character vanished, yet he was available again today.

PS3 with patch should be fine, I "lost: character when cloud down but char was fine when they went back up

until 360 patch arrives you arent safe

eival

Ns1QOG2.jpg

kris.

Banned
whoever i'm playing with, sorry i don't have a mic but i've been laughing my ass off just driving around fucking shit up

this is amazing

DogMeat77

My level 16 just disappeared (PS3) that I have been using fine for 2 days now. I kind of expected it, but I will give it some time to see if it is temporary. A few people had it show back up.

Ploid 3.0

Wait until it's back, don't make another character, even if it's in a alternate slot. It sucks but it's better to wait than to start all the way over, lose your character, and be stuck in tutorial mission limbo.

I don't like the death matches at all, theres no 'skill' needed, it's usually just being lucky and spawning behind a few other players, locking on and seeing how many you can kill before you die yourself. Maybe a mode with more health/armour, no lock-on...something

Why are you playing with auto aim? If you switch to free aim in the SP then it will automatically put you in Free aim rooms online. Evey deathmatch I played has been Free aim.

Yeah IMO the only fun type is "Mission" thats typically co-op missions with some vehicle travel which are by far the most fun

I do this

1. Auto join mission (not race not deathmatch)
2. Finish mission then quit (typically the pick 6 has no co-op stuff)
3. Immediately bank money from phone. Go to 1.

Having fun, money keeps going up.

Now and then Join Mission still gives you a deathmatch but its mostly co op stuff

SJRB

Gold Member
Tried it for about two hours, didn't really enjoy any of it.

1. Character creation is awful. I thought people were overreacting, but they weren't. It's needlessly complex and nearly impossible to end up with an avatar you like unless you mash the random button 100 times
2. The intro is pretty lame, wasn't feeling the Lamar chemistry like he has in the singleplayer. Also the city is empty, it's pretty surreal driving around those empty streets. Also throwing 100 tutorial texts and explanations on screen while in a high-speed race or police chase isn't particularly convenien.
3. The missions I've played so far are okay, I guess
3. The game is basically one big free-for-all. Three times I tried to help someone who was being chased by the cops, only to end up with a bullet in the head myself for no reason whatsoever. Everybody is auto-hostile, which is exactly what I feared

I don't think I'll be coming back to online anytime soon.

My level 16 just disappeared (PS3) that I have been using fine for 2 days now. I kind of expected it, but I will give it some time to see if it is temporary. A few people had it show back up.

I think you are only safe if you started your char after the patch. Dont have any inside knowledge just been my experience, nothing but fails corruption wise before, HOURS of trouble free playing since patch

servers have gone down and I temporarily lose char but he comes back with full stats and money every time

Oozer3993

There's just a shocking level of incompetence in display in many of the game modes. It's like no one at Rockstar had ever played, let alone designed, a multiplayer game before. Just AWFUL, AWFUL decisions all over the place.

Afro

Anyone else notice how the best car mods like the very first basic engine upgrade require you to win something like 15 races online? Fortunately I'm decent at racing, but it could easily take weeks for the casual gamer to rack up that many wins legit considering how competitive it is online. Don't know what they were thinking.

eival

GTA 4 still charting top 20 damn

its been top 10 every week since 2008, it was up to top 5 on his last list, which was in July i think, it used to be number 1 on GFWL list as well, which is now extinct.

mostly cause of the rampant un-policed modding that takes place.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The hell is up with this last team standing job.

How the hell do i turn of others mics coming through my speakers?

NeoGiff

Wait until it's back, don't make another character, even if it's in a alternate slot. It sucks but it's better to wait than to start all the way over, lose your character, and be stuck in tutorial mission limbo.

No worries, this is my 2nd slot character anyway, who I made just in case my first one came back. Now he's my main guy!

Tried it for about two hours, didn't really enjoy any of it.

1. Character creation is awful. I thought people were overreacting, but they weren't. It's needlessly complex and nearly impossible to end up with an avatar you like unless you mash the random button 100 times
2. The intro is pretty lame, wasn't feeling the Lamar chemistry like he has in the singleplayer. Also the city is empty, it's pretty surreal driving around those empty streets. Also throwing 100 tutorial texts and explanations on screen while in a high-speed race or police chase isn't particularly convenien.
3. The missions I've played so far are okay, I guess
3. The game is basically one big free-for-all. Three times I tried to help someone who was being chased by the cops, only to end up with a bullet in the head myself for no reason whatsoever. Everybody is auto-hostile, which is exactly what I feared

I don't think I'll be coming back to online anytime soon.

Yeah, this sucks. I'm to the point where I just try to kill anyone who comes near me. It's the only way to be safe, or I'm about 2 grand.

Anyone have issues when doing a fun co-op missions with your friends only to be given 8 choices which are all races or deathmatch games? Even on refresh, they are all racing/deathmatch games.
I just want to do co-op missions.

Top Bottom