• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Passive Mode should be removed altogether. If you want to play with the world without the worry of being shot then create closed or solo sessions. In it's current state it's far too easy to abuse.

erawsd

passive mode is BS

you can get shot if you're riding something, but cant shoot back at all, including the cops

i dont see anything that allows us to give feedback or vote to kick people either, if their "bad player pool" isnt tracking people killing those in passive mode then, thats BS too

Well, is there any indication that someone is in passive mode? If its not working then thats seems like something Rockstar itself is to blame for, not the person.

Tawpgun

Passive Mode should be removed altogether. If you want to play with the world without the worry of being shot then create closed or solo sessions. In it's current state it's far too easy to abuse.

There needs to be a cooldown period after you kill someone.

You can't just antagonize and kill someone and go LOL PASSIVE MODE.

Can you passivemode when you have a bounty?

Aenima

passive mode is BS

you can get shot if you're riding something, but cant shoot back at all, including the cops

i dont see anything that allows us to give feedback or vote to kick people either, if their "bad player pool" isnt tracking people killing those in passive mode then, thats BS too

To vote to kick ppl, bring up the GTA Online tab, out of my head, i think it have a "players" option there, click there to see all players in ur lobby, click in the name of guy u wanna kick, and chose kick.

I tryed this in 1st days but guys never got kicked, also lobbys turned out in death mathches fields so i dont even bother. If i join a public lobby i already know whats expecting me.

Trigger

lol, people are so randomly violent in GTAO. I was doing a mission for Simeon when some guy starts stalking and trying to kill me. I lose him and get to the docks to drop off the car. Dude shows up again so I ran onto a nearby ship and then jumped off into the ocean. Guy still follows me to a nearby shore so I cap him and then retreat to a strip club to get a few seconds. I deposited the money from the Simeon job and changed to a new session. Another guy capped me twice after I joined that session. I said fuck it and just put a bounty on his ass.
XBMjaTZ.gif

I don't understand why they don't at least let you have one autosave on your system that backs up to the cloud.

Indeed. I'd feel more secure if this was the case.

TiVo

Total utter bullshit. Between my last post my NEW character disappeared but all my friends still have their stats and are doing missions.

ViciousDS

Banned
if the cloud servers are down wouldn't they also not show up on the social website as it pulls probably some form of meta deta and just displays an overview of your character?

lol, people are so randomly violent in GTAO. I was doing a mission for Simeon when some guy starts stalking and trying to kill me. I lose him and get to the docks to drop off the car. Dude shows up again so I ran onto a nearby ship and then jumped off into the ocean. Guy still follows me to a nearby shore so I cap him and then retreat to a strip club to get a few seconds. I deposited the money from the Simeon job and changed to a new session. Another guy capped me twice after I joined that session. I said fuck it and just put a bounty on his ass.

That's not random. The open world Car Theft missions from Simeon (where a green car logo shows up on the map for you to steal) is open to everyone in the room. When you steal the car, your map marker goes red similar to having a bounty on you. Anyone can then kill you, take the car, and spray it/deliver it to Simeon at the docks and collect the cash.

Any idea what their "Bad Sport" stuff tracks? Seems like the whole game is based around being a bad sport. And I don't want to get dinged because I've been spawn camped or ran down a couple dozen times, and then start defending myself by killing anyone that gets remotely close.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Any idea what their "Bad Sport" stuff tracks? Seems like the whole game is based around being a bad sport. And I don't want to get dinged because I've been spawn camped or ran down a couple dozen times, and then start defending myself by killing anyone that gets remotely close.

Leaving missions early, blowing up people's personal vehicles.

Mononoke

Banned
Yep, my character is gone. Altho her stats are still on the rockstar social club. I didnt even get a cloud server error though.

Mononoke

Banned
When someone blew up my personal vehicle by accident they had to pay for full insurance anyway.

Can confirm. My friend was being a dick and shot out all my tires and windows. I raged out, and set his car on fire using the jerry can. Instantly I had to pay for the full insurance after it blew up.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Lost my dude, No worries at all just can't be fucked doing the tut again.

Hope he comes back, He was a cool cowboy.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
When someone blew up my personal vehicle by accident they had to pay for full insurance anyway.

Yeah, it's not like they can differentiate between purposeful and accidental. I blew up someone's while on a mission using a grenade launcher to take out enemies, but oh well lol.

Trigger

That's not random. The open world Car Theft missions from Simeon (where a green car logo shows up on the map for you to steal) is open to everyone in the room. When you steal the car, your map marker goes red similar to having a bounty on you. Anyone can then kill you, take the car, and spray it/deliver it to Simeon at the docks and collect the cash.

Ah, that explains things. I noticed the car icon disappear before, but it never struck me that people were completing the mission. lol, no honor among thieves it seems.

Ok then I just wouldn't play. It's like saying there should be no PvE servers in MMOs which is crazy because different people want different things out of their online games.

They should just have the entire session be passive, or not. There, end of issue.

Ah, that explains things. I noticed the car icon disappear before, but it never struck me that people were completing the mission. lol, no honor among thieves it seems.

Yup. It's also worth noting that in those missions, the condition of the vehicle appears to affect the cash you receive. The first time I did it, I turned in a car damaged and only got about 8k. The next time, I was able to turn in a SUV in pristine condition and received 21k. Could have been just the difference in the price of the cars but when I turned in the damaged vehicle, he noted that it had been damaged in the cutscene dialogue.

Leaving missions early, blowing up people's personal vehicles.

How weird. Killing someone is cool, but their car is off limits.

Personally, I think it would have been cool if they kept track of your good/bad deeds and your dot slightly changed color accordingly. That way I know if that person I'm driving up on is at least willing to hang out without immediately shooting me in the face. Give a good reason to gang up on the assholes too.

Revven

Or, they could just make one, alternative, free roam mode that has friendly fire off... AKA Friendly Free Roam just like they had in Red Dead Redemption.

Oh the lessons you thought R* learned after patching up RDR with those separate free roam modes (Friendly, Hardcore, and Normal).

Friendly = no friendly fire, bullets could flinch you but not hurt you, you could get run over by wagons by other players but you wouldn't die, etc

Normal = What we see now in GTA:O

Hardcore = Free aim mode only version of free roam

Alas, R* seems to want everyone to (mostly) be within the same pool of players despite how much bigger of a playerbase they have for this game compared to when RDR came out.

ViciousDS

Banned
No. Just wait until servers are back up and try later. Or if you absolutely can't wait, create a new character on a different slot. Don't do it on the same, or it really will be deleted.

guess I'll level another character....... my basketball character on 2k14....

lame

el0C8Dy

eival

i like how the "no missions showing up" is sitll happening.

i also love that instead of dropping you into a Solo session it just says NOPE our servers are down and so it timed out, go look at the opening scene of the game again with the annoying woman screaming, pause and try to launch MP again

BraXzy

If Rockstar don't iron out the kinks quickly, a lot of people are going to trade the game in or forget about it. Beta or not, people don't like having their time wasted so I hope for Rockstar's sake that they are making good progress.

Ok then I just wouldn't play. It's like saying there should be no PvE servers in MMOs which is crazy because different people want different things out of their online games.

They should just have the entire session be passive, or not. There, end of issue.
Again, there's an option for that. Make a closed session with friends and/or crew, or even a solo session.
I don't see the point of being the only guy in the room with passive mode while everyone else is doing what this game is about: crime and mayhem. You automatically go passive in stores so it's not necessary, and you can still get run over or shot while driving. And as mentioned in my other post, in its current state it's far too easy to abuse anyway.

Edit: somehow misunderstood the last sentence lol - watching football so I was a bit distracted. I guess that would be a decent middle ground. Would fragment the userbase even more though.

ViciousDS

Banned
How is 2k14? I've been falling back on 13 when GTA messes up. But what I'm more concerned about is the collision. Is it better? How about defense and offense?

much better the flow is actually leaps beyond 13.......probably my favorite since 11 plus blocking dunks is..... oh so good.

Mononoke

Banned
Woah that is pretty cool.

Lol for the record, I never do shit like that. But my friend was being an asshole for some reason that day. He kept doing stupid shit. Like I was a passenger in his car and he drove my side into a gas station and blew me up (lost 2k in medical). Then we were doing a repo mission and we had to drive across town to get it. RIGHT as we were about to reach the car, he starts shooting out his window, and drew cops on us. We would also be flying around a helicopter to do missions, and he would get distracted and start flying off to random areas. He got the bright idea to go into a military base where we got 4 stars and were killed. Was pretty aggravating.

He was being a little shit. So I just raged out. He's usually not that stupid. But the problem with GTA online is for many years, a lot of people ran around doing mayhem in the sand box style games. But you can't really do that with GTAO, because of how easy you lose money.

Yep, my character is also gone at the moment but he'll be back with the cloud servers later.

Yeah, thought that was the case since it's happened on and off since launch day but when it happened yesterday, he never showed back up.

I'm just kind of worn out going through all this. I can deal with losing money, items, etc. But losing characters and the ranks with them just kind of killed off my motivation.

Suppose I should say that I just can't get invested into the Online part nor a character if I have no reason in thinking he'll stick around. So far, I've had about four characters culled by the cloud. Always made sure to keep my first spot open incase my main one popped back in, but sadly it wasn't the case last night. Still, it's a fun mode, but this is all hampering my will to continue.

pelican

I'm a patient guy, but this is really beginning to piss me off now.

Turn on the PS3, and what a surprise. Rockstar Cloud Servers are down. Get to fuck.

Why should they do their own jobs and, I dunno, INVESTIGATE when they can just regurgitate an incorrect press release?

Yeah, no shit, all it would take is about 30 seconds of a twitter search or visiting this thread. I couldn't believe it when I saw it because I was in this thread and then was scanning twitter when I saw "GTA Online server issues resolved." And I was like .. uhh .. what?

Lol for the record, I never do shit like that. But my friend was being an asshole for some reason that day. He kept doing stupid shit. Like I was a passenger in his car and he drove my side into a gas station and blew me up (lost 2k in medical). Then we were doing a repo mission and we had to drive across town to get it. RIGHT as we were about to reach the car, he starts shooting out his window, and drew cops on us. We would also be flying around a helicopter to do missions, and he would get distracted and start flying off to random areas. He got the bright idea to go into a military base where we got 4 stars and were killed. Was pretty aggravating.

He was being a little shit. So I just raged out. He's usually not that stupid. But the problem with GTA online is for many years, a lot of people ran around doing mayhem in the sand box style games. But you can't really do that with GTAO, because of how easy you lose money.

Eh, whatever... I wouldn't blow up random people's cars, but my friends and I get extreme joy from griefing each other when playing. It's one reason I think that R* should have a penalty-free free-roam. One that loads the world up with weapons and you can just mess around. It's lame that doesn't exist.

you can, in single player go to the online tab and create an invite only lobby.

Very cool, did not know that. Do you know if you can still do the Simeon recovery quests and the car find missions?

erawsd

Wait, if someone tries to run me down or shoots at me from the inside of a car and I throw a bomb at them I get dinged for being a bad sport and have to pay to get the car fixed? @@

So I just tried this last night with a couple friends. Why isn't there any flyable planes in the airports or helicopters in their usual places. I couldn't find any road bikes ora lot of the cars I like. It seemed like the same 4-5 cars would repeat over and over unless you drove to an entirely different part where there was another set of 3 that would be repeated over and over. I'm very confused by this

Top Bottom