• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT| The Stimulation Has Began!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Congratz R*.... a character creator worse than Bethesda. I thought that was impossible. You people deserve a prize.

And no freeaim server. Again, great job with that.

Desaan

Shouldn't be surprised it's not working properly, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. Too many people think it's ok when things don't work these days because 'it's only just launched'.

Dinda

Wait, i just watched a video with the character creation, and instead of creating your character you are creating your grandparents and parents and try to get a somehow acceptable end product?

Maybe i'm missing something, but this has to be the worst character creation i've ever seen. (in such a high profile game).

Tried joining a few times and failed. gg R*

At least they managed to sneak in some main game fixes. Finally able to continue my Kifflom quest line.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Wait, i just watched a video with the character creation, and instead of creating your character you are creating your grandparents and parents and try to get a somehow acceptable end product?

Maybe i'm missing something, but this has to be the worst character creation i've ever seen. (in such a high profile game).
They are going to optimise the experience according to user feedback. In the end you'll get the game you want, but not the game you deserve.

Lunzio

I commend them on the idea of choosing grandparents and such, but it's not a practical application to character creation.

ViviOggi

lol every time. EVERY TIME IN THE PAST TWO HOURS ITS BEEN OUT OMG.

The internet as a collective organism has absolutely zero patience or sense of scale. It's hilarious.

It'll be cool in a couple of weeks, chill.

Back at you

For the record, I didn't comment on the nature of the server issues at all, I criticized the impractical and time-wasting way the game handles MP errors.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I don't even want to imagine what the server strain will be like later, its the middle of the day and a lot of people will be in school or work.

anddo0

Servers are garbage, but I guess that was expected

Yeah, but I can't even get past character create.

People can use the "day one" excuse all they like.. R* had two extra weeks to prepare and this is by far one of the worst online launches I've been a part of.

At least Diablo III allowed me to play for an hour at a time.. The R* servers are garbage.

Staab

Btw don't set up an invite only game, you will crash after trying to access the race (can't go around it) and then your character save... has a high chance of getting corrupted (yeah, I just lost the character I created).

taoofjord

Not sure if it's due to the lag causing the high-res textures not loading, but the create your own character faces look awful. I remember GTA IV's faces looking rough but I don't remember it looking this bad. Anyone have any screens of their GTA V character? I'm curious if it's a technical issue or if that's how they actually look.

haha im ugly........but that was rockstars plan all along.

to show and make everyone ugly. can i put a paper bag over my head? B^)

lots of people in my game were just waiting by the clothes store to shoot and fight. i assume thats gonna be happening all day.

wheres the race only matchmaking place/button :/

Desaan

Try to create a female character that doesn't have the jawline of Jason Statham, it's not possible.

Worst character creation ever?

Not sure if it's due to the lag causing the high-res textures not loading, but the create your own character faces look awful. I remember GTA IV's faces looking rough but I don't remember it looking this bad. Anyone have any screens of their GTA V character? I'm curious if it's a technical issue or if that's how they actually look.

I think mine looks pretty good but the snapmatic is down so I can't really take a screenshot. Will spare everyone a photo of my tv :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Because you'll never be disconnected or booted from games online ever, right?

This is bigger than the first 2 hours. They've been doing multiplayer like this since 2008, and it's always made the process slow.

Yes it happens every now and then, but anyone playing today should understand that it will be very rocky and possibly not work. It happens. I've had it happen in other brand new multi games and betas too. R* said they anticipate problems and are buying more servers. It takes time to get them in place.

R*'s multi is certainly flawed, but to get super pissy about it not working today (or most of this week tbh) is silly.

ViviOggi

Mine even has a beard and his face textures look fine - judging from the intro cutscene as I'm unable to progress any further at the moment.

anddo0

So I am in....starts you off with a race...been waiting for players now for 5 minutes and cant seem to cancel out :(

Play solo online.

The streams I'm watching seem to be doing just that. If you're waiting for other players, you'll be waiting forever.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Game keeps eating my created characters. lol... just what I want, more time in their awful creator. Insult to injury.

Worst part about jumping between main game and online is that it doesn't actually save your position in the main game. I failed to connect, and when the main game reloaded I was halfway across the map even though I left him exactly where I wanted him to be (by a quest icon).

Try to create a female character that doesn't have the jawline of Jason Statham, it's not possible.

Worst character creation ever?

OMG.. This is so got damn true. I mean they make the women look old af. You can't make one good person. And to top it off your lifestyle also affects your looks like wtf?

This is a heck of a lot more complicated than their past efforts. Jedeye is right, patience is sorely lacking considering it's been up for two hours.

Yes it happens every now and then, but anyone playing today should understand that it will be very rocky and possibly not work. It happens. I've had it happen in other brand new multi games and betas too. R* said they anticipate problems and are buying more servers. It takes time to get them in place.

R*'s multi is certainly flawed, but to get super pissy about it not working today (or most of this week tbh) is silly.

Bros, I get it. My comment wasn't about the fact that it's broken right now. I understand it'll be broken today. My post was about the fact that they're going through singleplayer PERIOD. When dealing with disconnects, server issues, or potentially getting kicked, it'll always and forever be slower navigating through the menus than if they kept single and multi totally separate.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
They are going to optimise the experience according to user feedback. In the end you'll get the game you deserve, but not the game you want.

Fixed :p

Back at you

For the record, I didn't comment on the nature of the server issues at all, I criticized the impractical and time-wasting way the game handles MP errors.

Actually I am very chill, I was mocking the slightly hysterical tone of your post ("dare" was the key amusing word). I can't even play for another 5 hours as I'm at work. But I'm very much enjoying watching people lose their shit this afternoon.

The only thing that will annoy me is that since the SC is down I won't be able t ouse the map to find more UFO bits and letters tonight. Sigh

ViviOggi

But how game auto enters race and fails before can set options

You can set your join options from the "Online" tab of the SP's pause menu. You'll have to do that before every single launch attempt though, and solo online didn't let me start the first race either.

Top Bottom